Potions and Scent

Veeky Forums What do potions smell like to you? I'm writing up a scent list to give my players so that when they smell a potion to figure it out they get that small piece of flavor text. I've already decided that healing potions smell of honey and sweet things, what do you think Veeky Forums?
tldr: What do various potions smell like?
>Also Potions General

Gonna post potion pictures til I get a response

Well this is the last of my potion picture and still just me here, guess I'll do this the old fashioned way and just think of it myself!

The reddish Health potions taste a bit coppery, like pennies. Its texture is more like syrup than water.
Blue Mana/Magic potions taste a bit like blueberry with a sparkly electric aftertaste. Sometimes overdosing on them will actually shock your tastebuds numb.

Depending on game tone, Health Potions are honey or blood in both taste and smell. Strength and Enlarge potions smell and taste like whey. Weird potions trend caffeine-like.

I always like the description of Mana potions smelling almost like nothing. Very faint smell of fresh air. Drinking them gives the sensation of cold water after chewing mint gum.

Op here, now that I think about it shouldn't strength smell like spinach?

The Antiplague and Antitoxin bottles. Do they have a name? I want some.

Personally I'm a fan of the "potions taste absolutely terrible" trope.

Most HP potions smell like meat plus some bitter ingredient.

Mental Enhancement potions are all kinda "sharp" smelling, like peppermint or lemon essence.

Physical Enhancement potions smell sweeter and more earthy/mellow.

Potions for potions, OP.

1 more. These captchas are annoying.

That'll do. Never sniffed a potion before so I can't help you, OP.

I was planning to make a quest for my player to find out the taste of a drink. It is lichi juice which they will find a nature lich/death druid creature growing a patch of. Death is a natural thing

Health potion taste like apple with some sweet honey in it. It can get addictive. It is why adventurer tend to have a lot of them on hand

>Off the counter healing potions
sweet and savory, but a little watered down. Smell is too weak to really tell a fake from the real thing. On the other hand, healing potions have such little presence that any curse laid upon it would be detected immediately.

>Off the counter mana potions
slightly fizzy, VERY alcoholic. The cheapest way to squeeze out a bit more magical kick, many a "promising" mage was discovered from first forays into drinking.

>Basic cure-all
More an immune-booster than a true cure, this bottle is filled with every thing "good for your body" that people could cheaply squeeze in. Which is to say, it smells of piss and tastes of death.

>Healing Droughts
Branding is a sign not of quality or duration, but actually smell and taste. Apothecaries spend hundreds of hours making sure their droughts smell better coming in than they do coming out. As such, they take their reputation and the sabotage thereof very seriously.

>Wisp Bottles
True mana restoratives tend to have an elemental tinge to them. You can spend a good bit of effort and coin scrubbing them out, but some even prefer it that way. Reminds them of home, some say.

All the same, the streets are patrolled with canine units for that elemental scent. After all, a government can't abide by the mass-consumption of sapients.

>Remedy
As it happens, alcohol sharply and dangerously increases the effectiveness of most drugs. A proper remedy involves the consumption of alcohol and medicine, the activation of the spell on the bottle to survive the next 30 seconds, and a nice palette cleanser to get you back into the fight. A remedy often smells pleasant enough, but an experienced adventurer is never quite happy to have one around.

Fire related potions smell of sulfur, ice related smell like a winter day. Transformation potions smell like wet rubber. I think it's best to have the smell be associative rather than surprising since it's better for players to be proud of themselves when they remember what a certain potion smells like rather than looking up from the list every time.

>Resistance Potions
Smoky, even for potions of ice resistance. The concentrated incense begins spewing out of your sweat glands, so a nose plug is advised.

>Poison Gas
A great deal of magic goes into making poison gas smell like nothing. Some go further and purge the room of any scent, as noticeable as this might be. In those cases, gasoline can then be added to the bottle. A foolish victim thinking to use a torch will face an explosion and poisoned burns.

>Powders
A most unusual mutation in mushroom spores has resulted in scents that smell like cooked food. Something in the growth process results in a similar substance as that found on browned food. This is then twisted between species to result in meat, corn, mushroom(of course), etc. all still very poisonous.

>Swampblood
This "rustic" insect repellent works by smelling like just the thing insects love: blood. Lots and lots of congealed blood. The actual liquid traps and kills the flies, but you certainly don't want to be nearby when it happens.

Drinking this will grant you immunity to leeches while wading through swampy rivers, assuming you are of a race that can handle the concoction.

>Greasefire
Little known from the name, molasses is a key ingredient in Greasefire, and it shows. The fiery spray has a darkly sweet scent, and the ashen residue retains that smell for days.

>Waterbreath
Senses are both muted and amplified deep underwater. To counterbalance that, waterbreath potions have a strong sourness to it. It'll make your eyes water and your lips pucker, but as soon as you're in the water it'll all be worth it.

You mean the type of bottle? Those are ampules

Health poation smell like sweet blood since blood is the base
Mana potations are without a smell but elfs and wizards say they smell like midnight
Stamina smells like a energy drink on steroids

Thanks.

If your material give a components list i would check that and imagine what they would smell like all together. Like if a resist fire potion was cinnamon tree bark and peppers, thats what it would smell like.

I think that the scent, taste, look, and texture of a health potion should intensify slightly with more potent grades. There should be signs to tell a Potion of Cure Serious Wounds apart from a Potion of Cure Light Wounds right away if you have the requisite skill.