Are your fighters, Barbarians or other warriors intelligent?

Are your fighters, Barbarians or other warriors intelligent?

Other urls found in this thread:

anime.reactor.cc/post/3007000
twitter.com/AnonBabble

barring that, post warriors with glasses.

Outside game stats intelligence is a very hard thing evaluate. Even today the definition of intelligence is still debated.

He has 11 intelligence.

It depends. They vary based on who they are. Though I usually play the God Man, anyway. Three quarters of all such characters have been clerics, crusaders, and paladins.

My battle master had 12 int, but he was still the parties tank/burst dps for the first few levels. Later he would gain more int and become quite hard to stump with some good investigation rolls.

>Fighters
No
>Barbarians
No
>Warblades
Yes.

Varies highly depending on the character background. Some random grunt isn't going to be terribly booksmart. A knight out of a noble family or small-time warchief will be pretty smart, typically with a focus on military tactics.

i like to play characters which are more like kane than connan. So yeah, i usually try to play them as pretty intelligent, not the level of "made his god curse him and force him to wander for all eternity" though

Conan was fluent in like seven languages and read poetry.

oh, then i am sorry. I known him from movies mostly, while my dad had shitload of kane stories. Gotta read conan then.

hes a jock though so hes obviously dumb and cant appreciate the great gatsby like me

Really depends on the character. Previous one was damn good at tactics but not much else. Current one is a historian who learned to fighter because field work is fucking dangerous

>implying kane wasn't a jock
user check your facts, it was the same shit but Wagner was writting in rather low fantasy setting

i thought kane was like a weird bald dude who commanded and conquered

kane as in kane from Karl E. Wagner stories. You know, red hair, icy blue eyes, son of lilith, crazy cultured fighter in gothic fantasy type of setting

You ever get punched wearing glasses? That shit hurts and then you're down a pair of glasses.

My Cavalier has an effective 18 int. You tell me.

Never caught the name of the artist ? I often see their art in for honor general.

Certainly don't have glasse.

But my barbarian is literate (her father was a shaman who insisted on her learning to read and speak the two local languages) and well aware that she's NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer.

On the other hand, she can fight her way around a sharpened stick faster than you can say 'poke', and she puts quite a bit of effort into throwing people off balance, being unpredictable, and playing to the "big, violent, dumb barbarian" look she's got going.

Started with Int 10, rose to 12 because of reasons.

Curious, where does this image come from?

Pixiv artist going by 車子林
Image search does wonders, but if you were just curious about the art it looks like the artists OC in for honor outfits.

The good ones are.

My norse inspired fighter has 14 int and 13 wis. Just the way the dice fell.

Source?

Also it varies by individual

Fighter's a pretty broad category that covers everything from inbred town guards to battle tested kings, so intelligence varies greatly.

As for what I specifically do, I usually give average intelligence or as close to that as I can so I can justify coming up with plans

My fighter is of noble blood, so while not particularly intelligent, he is well educated. Which I represented in game terms by giving high int for the skill points, but low wis, indicating he doesn't nessecarily know how to apply those skills to a real life situation.

I like having them be at least street-smart. Big dumb brute does nothing for me - at least the dumb part.
I had a character I really loved, a warrior who started out as your typical anger problem riddled young soldier who could barely read. In the course of 3 years of roleplay, he became a good tactician and a respected officer, all very gradually. He never acquired plot powers or plot knowledge, he only built on his experience and mistakes. He stayed a warrior from end to beginning, only ever relying on his companions, his body and his weapons. I really enjoyed this journey.

I like it when fighter-type characters are not dumb, but still fight pretty brutally. I suppose it's the "nice guy, but fights dirty so combat lasts the least amount of time possible" trope.

Glasses are nice on EVERY character.

I prefer something akin to Dr. Watson. Not a straight beatstick goon, but a bit more practical than the eccentric wizard or rogue in the party. Former military with a clutch skill or two and enough weapon proficiencies to pack modestly and improvise as the action picks up.

Yes, they are, because I don't play systems that have explicit mental stats and assign them in such way that they are useless to martial characters.

And as my favourite archetypes are warrior-poet and noble thane with some interest in tactics, it's hard to play them as not at least reasonably intelligent

>Gotta read conan then.
The OSR scene likes to stat Conan as "level 10 Thief, with high Constitution."

INT is my go-to dump stat, as I don't like to play academic or spelcaster characters. WIS however is a must, regardless of my character.

So, in a sense, my fighters and barbarians are always clever and able to use logical thinking, but they have no booksmarts.

I don't know the source, but they're all redesigns of the player classes in For Honor.

This page has a few of the others: anime.reactor.cc/post/3007000

In the party I'm DMing, the Barbarian may not be the smartest, but she's very much the voice of reason, common sense, and bookkeeping.

>playing melee brutes
Hilarious...

>So, in a sense, my fighters and barbarians are always clever and able to use logical thinking, but they have no booksmarts.
but wisdom is booksmarts and intelligence logical thinking user

the higher the INT, the bigger the tits!

Makes no sense but I'm fine with this

Well, when I'm stuck having to give them an 8 in intelligence, I'm usually tempted to justify it as poor education rather than being dumb themselves. I don't necessarily tend to give them unusually high intelligence though.

stupid elves dont even know all forms of combat are abstractions of one instance of a multi-individual primal Being interacting with itself to pursue the dominance of its own fragmented individuality in some trivial manner

all it is is taking a lump of the universe, shaping it, training yourself in managing it and then brutalizing someone else with it

magic or melee its all the same

stupid elves dumb elves

They got that from the 3.X scene; it was one of the arguments for giving Fighters and Barbarians shit to do other than stab.

Yes. At least the one I'm RPing right now. He hails from an important noble family so makes a point of making sure everyone knows just how educated, elegant and refined he is to anyone who he comes across

Playing

>but wisdom is booksmarts and intelligence logical thinking user.
Then explain why wizards have high Int, has all the Knowledge skills as class skills, and have no sense of right or wrong?

to keep intelligence from being a dump stat, i put int requirements on most feats

Depends.

Last fighter I played, was a complete idiot. But not for that he was dumb. He merely was extremely misinformed on a whole lot of stuff, but he actually had a more practical mind and was able to think out tactics that were linked to hunting. Low INT and high WIS.

The one before that, a Goliath Barbarian, she was extremely smart and intelligent. She defeated enemies that were -way- out her league by planning and cunning alone. Including reducing the last BBEG fight into a curbstomping fight, tricking another BBEG to get thrown into the fire elemental plane without protection from elements, and managed to befriend and unleash an elder evil to cause mass destruction onto Hell and the Abyss because Asmodeus and Demogorgon pissed her off.
Never tell her "So, what can you even do to me?". She'll find a way.

>not being a warrior-philosopher
What system?