MTG Spoiler Thread - God tribal edition?

Red God just dropped. Thoughts?

FAKE

more spoilers

These cards look so fucking awful

Well, that's disappointing.

This seems not that bad.

has some synergy with Nest of Scarabs

Is this the dumbest subtype yet?

>CARTOUCHE
what is the point?

this is suprisingly pushed for a 1 mana common aura.

Has to do with egyptians. They'd encircle any names they wrote down. the cirlce was called a cartouche
aslo, pic related

Lore, flavor, intentional parasiticism.

this is now, unironically the best (so far) blue draw spell in standard.

let that fully sink in.

>discard

lands.dec just got a whole lot spicier

this is everything a red aggro deck could want, really.

Reverse Engineer is still better

There's more, apparantly

with support, I don't have to play shitty artifacts with this.

WB Zombie Tribal?

Don't need to discard a card with Reverse Engineer

field pump spells are not playable in standard almost ever.

this is no different.

that + Fluctuator + cards with cycle of 2 or less == flawless victory if you get lucky.

>the Gods are shit
>aftermath is shit (both the idea and framing)
>cartouches, the most parasitic mechanic ever created (single cycle of 5 commons that only matter to another single cycle of 5 uncommons for a very minor benefit)

>invocations are shit even among shit

Well, looks like this set (and maybe block) is beyond saving.
See you all next block.

We Return to Theros

Gg. This set is garbage now

Embalm, Exert, and Cycling are neat.

Every time theres a real spoiler, I swear

Good, don't come back.

These spoilers kinda suck ass

Cycling is a relic of the past that people over-hype. As a mechanic it's meh, it causes any card it's put on to be over-costed or drawbacked because of the mere option of changing it out for mana.
Embalm is essentially better Unearth.
Exert is ok. Not good, but not bad.

Good flavor text.
Okay flavor text.

Seems they learned from the mistakes of Jeskai.
>Most parasitic mechanic ever created
Shrines and Curses are arguably more parasitic.

The red god is RDW as fuck

Aftermath is a good idea but looks really lazily designed and there will be a lot of copypaste art. Still a good idea.

Cartouches are pretty strong-looking for their rarity, I like cheap cards that do cool shit.

Embalm is almost definitely going to be busted.

>see 3 mechanics across 4 cards
>declare set is garbage.

I'm waiting for people to start claiming magic is dead based on a set name alone now

>RDW as fuck
>Costs more than 3 mana and doesn't have a way to cheat it into play/use an alternate cost.
user I...

Curses at least had internal and (very) minor external support.
But I do concede that Shrines were more parasitic.

Red God could have just as well been a non-God fatty of any other type and been just the same feel and function.
Aftermath could've just been worded the same as the Increasing cycle from Innistrad and worked the same.
Cartouches are pushed commons to force players to care, when they'd be functionally the same without the parasitism.

It's time for
MAGIC
IS
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

It fits perfectly into Free Win Red, however. Those decks already run Ensnaring Bridge, and they've had an open slot that they've been filling with Pia and Kiran.
This card fits that slot perfectly. It's a red 4-drop that works well with no cards in hand and lets you pitch useless copies of your Bloodmoons and such.

Guess these will all have an implied bridge-word of "to" rather than "and".

who's ready for some lupine burn?

Not even memeing, she's complete ass. Losing the ability to block kills it for me.

Would have been a lot better if they made "curse" the relevant subtype. It's even still thematic.

These cards are cool, the rest are pretty underwhelming or just awful

>It's another "overcosted draw 3 discard 1 blue card" episode

I'm convinced that WotC just has a basic design template for everything and just checkmarks stuff based off that.

>I BORK FOR HONOR
>D-DOGE PLS NO

>Curses
Curses have relevant cards, albeit not pushed ones, across multiple sets including base sets.

She'll be great if RDW is a deck and unplayable otherwise.

>it causes any card it's put on to be over-costed or drawbacked because of the mere option of changing it out for mana.
No it doesn't.

Nah zombies are white in this set.

>Mono colored
>Shit and boring

Simply epic WoTC

Simply fucking epic

WE DEAD BUGS NOW

Yeah, but Innistrad is still in Standard.

To my knowledge Glimmer of genius still exists and is better than this in basically everything.

Curses had a total of 3 cards that cared about the subtype in a beneficial way (thirst, misfortunes, and bitterheart witch) and I believe only a single card that referenced them in a negative way (witchbane orb).

If each 'trial' has an effect when a cartouche enters the battlefield that's still 5 cards that care about the subtype, which is one more than curses.

I agree that curses feel more cohesive and were executed better, but by the numbers I'm pretty sure they are more parasitic in that less cards care about the subtype.

>including base sets
How sure are you about that?

>4x Nest of Scarabs
>4x Blowfly Infestation
>4x Blood Artist
>4x Zulaport Cutthroat
What else?

The counterargument is that curses have much wider potential for growth in the future, even being limited to player enchantments. Thematically Cartouches can only ever appear in Amonkhet blocks.

How about some -1/-1 counter generators?

Depending on any upcoming discard things, I feel like this at least has the potential to be another Monastery Swiftspear.

That doesn't influence how parasitic they are. Cartouches can be used without the trials. The only one we've seen is actually pretty strong in a white weenie strategy. The reason people are [quite rightly] calling them parasitic is that the subtype is irrelevant in all but a very limited amount of cases.

(There were also no curses in base sets, just innistrad, DKA, and supplemental products like commander)

Fuck you. We don't care as long as we get to complain.

Yeah, what would be best for that? Murderous Redcap comes to mind, but that's not enough.

BLACK SUN ZENITH
GIMME MUH BUGSSSSS

2x Dark Prophecy ( I think - whenever a creature you control dies, you draw a card and lose 1 life). Helps with draw power. Costs 3 black mana

>Cartouches can be used without the Trials
Then why even make them have a unique subtype in the first place? The Trials cards are the only ones that care about them in the first place, and the article confirmed there's only a single 5 card cycle of each side of the parasitism.

[spooky rattling sounds intensify]

That is absolutely true. I would not be surprised if a supplemental set (Commander, Planechase, or a conspiracy spin-ff) included one or two in the distant future, but the odds of seeing new curses is a lot higher than the odds of seeing new Cartouches. Again, this goes back to my belief that curses were executed better and more appropriately designed.

Skinrender

Will see play in modern boggles.

This and Gravestorm is great

That's like calling arcane spells, the poster boy of parasitic mechanics, not parasitic just because some decks just cast lava spike.

Contagion Clasp is a great one too

And SOI.

> He's never played during a cycling set.

You're so wrong it hurts.

Curses are shit. If they printed the auras as curses you'd whine too for the sake of whining.

Not this set nigga.

Boggles already runs Hyena Armor. They don't even run a full playset of it, either.

This doesn't work quite the way you want it to; you need at least two Bugs in play before you can start going off.

>Put a -1/-1 counter on a Bug. Bug dies to state-based actions.
>Triggers for Nest of Scarabs and Blowfly Infestation go on the stack at the same time, in the order of the controller's choosing. Blowlfy Infestation must designate a target at this time. New bug is not in play yet, and is therefore not a legal target.

Therefore, you need to stagger the combo with a Bug buffer in order to have legal targets at each point in Blowfly Infestation's triggering.

That is literally the point I am making you mongrel. Whenever you ask yourself 'why does this mechanic/subtype need to exist if it only matters in a handful of cases?' then it's a parsitic mechanic/subtype.

said that curses had relevant cards across multiple sets and the intent of that post seemed to be in defense of curses not being parasitic. My reply just said that how usable or relevant a card is has no bearing on whether or not it's parasitic.

>if they did thing you like instead of thing you complain about, you'd still complain
nice projecting there m8

I never in my fucking life thought I would find myself wishing for the powerlevel of Theros block.

You just need a second creature. It doesn't have to be annother bug (it doesn't even need to be yours).

You are probably replying to the wrong person. I am AGREEING that cartouches are parasitic, I'm just claiming that curses are also parasitic despite 'having relevant cards across multiple sets'.
Curses are actually dope but require more support to feel like a worthwhile mechanic. I'm still mad that they were dropped in AVR.
Right, I had forgotten about that one.

I did misremeber the sets, but when I said relevant I was talking about "relevant to the mechanic" not "viable for play".

where is crocosmug god?

They were dropped in AVR because of Avacyn's return and her breaking/purifying all curses on the plane.
I do want more Curse support though, it's a neat thing and player auras are rather rare.

In that case you are incorrect. Commander sets have introduced new curses but the only cards to mechanically care about the subtype were all from INN/DKA (Witch, Witchbane, Thirst, and Misfortunes).

Dusk // Dawn
2WW // 3WW
Sorcery
Dusk

Destroy all creatures with power greater or equal to 3.

Dawn

Aftermath - Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it.

Return all creature cards with power less than equal to 2 from your graveyard to your hand.

now that this card is confirmed real, how will it fit?

Fume spitter.

You know why i'm right? Because you're defending Curse. Something that is so fucking shitty, it's been demoted as EDH shit.

Why the fuck is that mana ability at 3 mana?

Playing this card is already such a commitment, give us SOME breathing room. Cool art, cool idea, shit card.

Seems like a theme in recent sets.

That's a power level argument, which is a separate issue.

I understand the flavor reasoning, but I didn't know that the third set was going to go the way it did when DKA was first released. I saw the spoiler for Curse of Misfortunes and Curse of Thirst and tried to build a janky control deck for FNM. It wasn't very good (fuck Geist + Swords) but I was hoping that in the third set they'd include some more support to make it a little more viable.

>Why the fuck is that mana ability at 3 mana?
Not a mana ability

You know what I mean you double nigger.

It's supposed to be grindy for non-agro Red decks. Think Pia and Kiran, but worse since it can't hit creatures.

Very underwhelming IMO. Should have had 6 power or the ability should have costed 1R, but even then the card would still be boring as fuck... You'd expect a god to do more than just be turned sideways.

Dawn returns to hand? That's awful. Dusk seems okay but will rarely hit more than 2 enemy creatures since if they have more than 9 power on the board you've probably lost already.

If you're using the ability to try to turn her on you're doing it wrong. She should be topping your curve, or not played at all.

That you started playing two weeks ago but still have an opinion on newer sets with respect to the older ones?