Fallout: Florida

Alright Veeky Forums, I'm working on a Fallout tabletop thing, and we've determined that it'all be set in Florida, thing is none of us know jack shit about Florida other than Disney and old Jews.

So I pose the question, if there was a fallout game set in Florida, what would you expect/want to see in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gulf_Commonwealth
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_de_San_Marcos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Dreams
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well, you could go with what Tactics 2 was going to do with Florida.
Essentially a big mutant jungle full of hostile flora, thanks to a malfunctioning G.E.C.K.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gulf_Commonwealth

If you don't wanna roll with that, have a good way to traverse stretches of flat land (those savannahs and plains are boring as fuck to drive through on I-95), lots of suburbia when there isn't just grassy fields. When you get further South there's some neater stuff. The everglades could be cool, you could have a settlement that uses airboats or something. Miami could be a New-Vegas run by Cubans, or a shithole full of junkies (like today).

TLDR: Go for tourist spots, and use the neat quirks of the region. Airboats, fishing, the Everglades, wild boars (hate those guys), Publix, etc.

also, old spanish forts.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_de_San_Marcos

Oh shit, didn't think to look at cancelled games, that shits pretty neat

I figured work on tourist attractions and stuff, but I wanted to see if there was any local superstitions or folklore that was worth incorporating

Dammit, I was just about to mention that! So instead I'll say you could have an Orange Grove full of Citrus Mutants.

Don't forget the space center!

Mutant gators

A lot of swamp,and small towns. Don't forget that most of southern Florida is the everglades. Like a big ass amount of it. Hardly any civilization there.

Do something with the wildlife for sure. The everglades are a great setting, but don't forget about marine life. We got some crazy shit down here

>other than Disney

That's all you need, really.
Walt Disney's vision for Epcot was basically a more colorful version of Bethesda's retrofuturism
Fallout 3 or 4 with more Dr. Seuss trees basically

The only urban legend that I can think of is Lovebugs being man-made (as a failed effort to reduce the mosquito population as the myth goes). Now that I think about it, though, Lovebugs being the base for a new Cazadore like enemy would be terrifying. One day everything is fine, then BAM, giant killer lovebugs EVERYWHERE.

You could look on the internet.
Florida has one of the largest cavern systems in the US, some of the best beaches in the world, nuclear powerplants, toxic snakes galore, bears, huge mafia presence, extremely wealthy people's homes, more cattle than Texas, phosphate mines, top ranking universities, militant backwoods survivalists, manatees, Skunkape, anacondas, lionfish, tons of military bases, most of the golf courses in the US, huge airplane manufacturing facilities, and the largest lake inside of the US.

For starters

also make sure you put something about walt disney's head being cryogenicly frozen in a bunker under the park in there.

Now, I just did a little reading, and it seems like Florida's a bigger target for nukes than I'd previously thought

There's quite a few Nuclear power plants, especially out in the Everglades
Now, considering that Fallout's Great War was over an energy crisis, these nuclear plants would probably be a high priority target.

So now I've got two ideas:
>1. China nuked the plants/near the plants, drying out the Everglades, forcing life in the muck under them to adapt to land life, which was accelerated by radiation creating a massive, sticky, irradiated corn maze filled with lovecraftian horrors
Or
>2. The power plants are ignored. Most go into disrepair/melt down releasing mutagens into the water, creating all sorts of nasty things, like mutated plants that drag living things under. However, at least one plant's workers decided it was up to them to provide energy to overcome the apocalypse, continued working and eventually became an incredibly wealthy settlement (most likely full of ghouls)

Thoughts?

Love bugs?

Yeah, Lovebugs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug
>Localized lovebug flights can number in the hundreds of thousands. The slow, drifting movement of the insects is almost reminiscent of snow fall except that the flies also rise in the air. Two major flights occur each year, first in late spring, then again in late summer.

1. It wouldn't dry out. Lake Okeechobee feeds it.
Okeechobee is so big it looks like the ocean when you are in the middle of it.
2. Sounds promising. Look up Turkey Point.

You really need Disneyland to become a feudal kingdom ruled from the castle.

The kingdom of the wise, or the "Magi Kingdom"

That was literally Nuka World. Massive theme park with many different themed areas with the creator's cryogenically frozen head in a vault underneath.

>feudal kingdom
>not a civil war between park mascots too deep into kayfabe and the neo-disneyites rebuilding the Old World with Disney's futurist blueprints

>Fountain of Dreams is Wasteland Florida
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Dreams
>It sucked.

A better bet might be Dinosaur Swamp for the Rifts game. It's one of the better supplements.

The big epcot sphere thing definitely needs to have a weird cult society living in it. Just fortified out with gun emplacements all over the place in their weird sphere home.

Go to www.fark.com

Look for the Florida tag.

Knock yourself out.

I've always imagined Fallout's Florida to borrow liberally from Fountain of Dreams (which was originally going to be the sequel to Wasteland, but was made into an unrelated game before release.)

I looked it up

I think I found a plot hook

The latter would be the neighbouring settlement of Epcot, who are trying to get Spaceship Earth ready to launch.

As for the mascots, they ended up as gods for the supermutant tribes.

What if the Epcot sphere was House's plan B, with its own nuclear defense system, shelter, and such.

everywhere you go, you here whispers and murmurings of a few absolute lunatics that escaped from one of the vaults

stories say that they are the only survivors of a terrible killing spree

>they are florida man and florida woman
>and their two adopted children, florida boy and florida girl

excellent
There is also a nuclear power plant way too close to fancy real estate there.

and this is potentially interesting

fallout for fallout

You pushed my big red button.
signed Flapocalypse Man

That's it for me, have fun.
Shadowrun has a rilly rilly big gator they call a Behemoth, pretty sweet.

>if there was a fallout game set in Florida, what would you expect/want to see in it?
giant snakes, lizards, and alligators. Irradiated swamp people. the northern half of the state is culturally southern while the southern half of the state is hispanic/northern.

Take a look at the point lookout DLC for Fallout 3. It has swamps and crazy hillbillies.

Florida is home to the Kennedy space center which many people seem to forget because they haven't done anything noteworthy in years. There is a book called weird florida that has a lot of the more eccentric information about the state.

Every time I see this picture, it reminds me that I'm completely fucked.

Nevar 4get

>it's still not finished
>ghoul construction workers hang around the site
>Most are nearly feral
>still waiting for their paychecks

What is this now?

Mutant gators, like Yao-Guai or Deathclaws. Make Cape Canaveral a location as wel..

A building that got started in 2010, they got to the point in that photo then stopped.

I figured keep gators mostly the same, but then have the crocodiles from Turkey Point be all huge and mutated

stupid fucking bugs. they're perfect for a game

The only thing dangerous about them is their number and mildly acidic blood, though you could say that they developed acid spray from mutations

not that user...but holy shit i have been looking for a in zoomable map of this for EVER. thankssss

They like swamps.
Asphalt roads are twice as nice, they swarm above roads while 20' away from the blacktop there are almost none. they can coat your windshield until you have to stop to scrub it to see at all.
Its like they hate cars and kamikazi them

nu ork city?.....doledo...lol. what is this?

Bok Tower
State Capitol building is genitalia
Mariana Caverns
Devil's Millhopper
Spook Hill
Coral Castle
Vizcaya
'Ten Thousand Islands'
Gatorland
Gatorama
Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp
The MagLab is the largest and highest powered magnet lab in the world
Pensacola Military bases
Indian mounds - lots
Wakulla Springs
St Augustine 16th C. city - full of ghosts
Which map?

Old Gamma World Map 2nd ed
yes, it is pretty goofy.

>There's quite a few Nuclear power plants, especially out in the Everglades

There are only three, soon to be two nuclear plants in Florida. I forget where the one being shut down is, but the other two are Turkey Point south of Miami which must be the Everglades one your thinking of, but its on the coast not in the middle of the glades and the other is on Hutchinson Island near Port St Lucie.

Also Turkey Point has a large system of cooling canals that are infested with endangered crocodiles.

>if there was a fallout game set in Florida, what would you expect/want to see in it?
Two words: FEV Alligators

Also:
Tribals descended from pre-war carnies.
Cuba is a fabled island which people try to swim/raft to.
Massive underwater cave systems.
Hubologists in Clearwater.

local delicacy

hello darkness my old friend

>Crocodiles
Florida has alligators, not crocodiles. Crocodiles are from Africa. And Gators are everywhere, too. They show up in the strangest places.
If you don't include radgators in some capacity then you're doing it wrong.

>Half of the state is culturally southern while the southern half of the state is hispanic/northern.
Would this still be the case in the fallout universe, the highly nationalist 50s that never ends?

Wow. That's incorrect, 7 seconds with a search engine would have made you sound less stupid.

Good Point.

Use water, the various flora and fauna, the proximity to cuba.

Old Disney cartoons or theme parks

Conquistadors and pirates

SUPER MUTANT GATORS

AAAAAAAAAA FUCK THIS BUILDING I HAD TO LOOK AT IT FOR 4 GOD DAMN YEARS EVERYDAY

Florida Man.

How would you stat him?

END 10
CHA 10
INT 1

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug
>"Urban legend holds that lovebugs are synthetic—the result of a University of Florida genetics experiment gone wrong."
As a former Florida Man, I can assure you that this is true.

The "lovebug" was literally an abomination invented by an evil scientist. It fits right in to Fallout even without added radiation.

Tampa near SOCCOM headquarters on MacDill Air Force Base and along the Gulf Coast up to Pensacola Naval Air Station. That would be the two most likely places to have survivors gather in numbers. Infrastructure, along with military remnants makes for great location. Then you can have the worst of the radioactive megafauna be south and central Florida in the Everglades with some of it bleeding north along the many rivers and wetlands. Also Disney has entire underground bunkers and tunnels. Great for a megadungeon. Universal Studios should have the same. Miami would be a hilarious place to see Ghouls in swimwear that think they look great. And finally you can have alot of vehicles and raiders up around the northern neck Tallahassee to Daytona.

The only place for vaults would be in the north. Too much sand and swamp lands in the southern sections and near the coasts. Only exceptions might be military bases. They could have the funds to actually make a Vault in the sandy soil of the coasts. But I thought most Vaults in Fallout were civilian, therefore it might not fit.

Florida Man transcends stats. He is a spontaneous anomaly that defies quantification and should be treated as such. You may as well stat a cataclysmic extinction event.

All I'm thinking now of is the revenge of Seaworld. Shamu rises anew in atomic fire.

worse than that. It started in 2001.

Florida has both. The American Alligator is found up around the rest of the Bay of Mexico, too, but the Everglades contain the only population of American Crocodiles.

Florida Man is not an anomaly, or even an individual.

Florida Man is a state of mind. It is feeling your heartbeat pound in rhythm to the pulse of the swamp. It is the brilliant flash of comprehension that death and rebirth are not just inevitable, but merely different views of the roiling fatal fertility of the wetlands around you. It is fighting a pack of vultures for a dead armadillo because you have thumbs and deserve it more.

The landscape changes within hours or minutes, sinkholes opening and river courses shifting. As ten thousand forms of life adapt to this constant upheaval, you recognize the futility of all actions not born of instinct. Societal norms, social conventions mean nothing if they can fall apart, and fall apart they certainly do when your acquaintances kill themselves over a failed firework-to-make-bombs heist, or when your bedroom falls deep into the river you never knew was under your house, or when you discover the butchered goat in the pentagram not half a mile from your house.

Fuck it. Be Florida Man.

>>also most of yall have clearly never been here, or left the highways

>tfw sinkhole in my backyard

Shit ton of airplanes, super markets, actual lizard kings, super snakes, disney, large amounts of cavernes, mosquitos and lovebugs galore, guns, standing the fuck out of your grounds and most of all, swamps

Exactly. Hard to care about parking lot fistfights or what's in the black rivers or whatever when the ground itself might eat you.

One of the most Floridian things that I didn't realize until I moved out of the state I grew up in was sinkholes; everyone has ether had an experience with one or knows someone who has. When people ask me what the deal with sinkholes are and I tell them they're basically a hole that opens up in the earth, generally without warning, and they can be big enough to drop a house they get this horrified expression, but for us they were just a thing that happened once in a while. Like, an Earthquake is where the planet's surface is grinding billions of tons of mechanical stress off in a minute and it can be violent enough to destroy cities, but people in California are just like "Yeah, that happens sometimes."

When I was getting ready to leave, almost all of my furniture skipped the yard sale and went to a dude I knew whose cousin lost everything but his driveway to a sinkhole about a week previous, and he was pretty poor so it's not like he had savings or a big insurance payout to get started again with.

the most Floridian thing for me that stood out was people looked at me funny when I told them we do actually eat alligator meat. For some reason outsiders think alligators are some kind of exotic endangered animal.

I mostly don't eat gator because i fucking hate those snakes

> everyone has ether had an experience with one or knows someone who has
Can confirm. Mother was there when the Winter Park sinkhole happened.

obviously we need to eat the snakes then. supposedly tegus are also popping up in the wild now.

>have no idea what a tegu is
>search it up
>suprise suprise more edgy teenagers are ruining the ecosystem with there shitty pets

Hey man, cats ruined more shit than lizards ever could.

On another note: Anyone had any luck with the bounty on Burmese pythons? Y'all think the tegus might get a price on their heads too?

Yep. I actually like it a lot, it's like chicken tender sized calimari.

>implying you can kill a tegu
Even if you chop it in half, it'll just regenerate into two tegus.

FUCKING MOSQUITOS

Hey, if you can find one big enough you might as well try.

>52524002
They usually call us Swamplords.

I am generally surprised at our prevalence on Veeky Forums. After all, we are only about the size of England.
Agreed, the vaults should be in the North, above the high tide mark. You know, over 150' above sea level.

-Rad Gators, you have your regular mutant gators, with light regeneration powers, and glowing Rad Gators
-Rad Crocodiles, like gators but bigger with slower move time or something I don't know. Probably should be more rare with rare drops attached to them.

-Mosquito Cult, blood drinking lunatics who worship mosquitos

-Gator fleas. These HORRIBLE fucking things that can chew through leather and their favorite place to bite is the soft meat between your toes- no joke. They're fucking bastards.
These should come at you in swarms in the water.

-Theme Park lunatics that worship "The Mouse"

The chocolate store in Winter Park is haunted. I worked there for a few months back in '12.
Used to be a bank vault too, where the stuff was stored.

One mosquito? That's just a feisty bat, really. Opaque clouds of them rising from the surface of the ponds or streaming from a hidden water hole, now, that's already a real thing.

I think we just have a high user base on this whole site across all boards. At least, the degenerate ones I frequent.

Shit I work down across the street from that now

Mirelurks
Mutated mosquitos
Space centre
Big blast crater at Coast near Melbourne (south of space centre)
Giant Fire ants

The Beaches:
Dolphins, giant crabs, sand piper birds.
Saw grass for DAYS.

I think the ghost is called Ethel, least that's what the dude there says.