Dice thread

Post dice, talk about dice.

What are the weirdest dice you end up having to use?

I found a set that has a D3, D4, D5, D6, D7, D8, D9, D10, D%10, D11, D12, D13, D14, D15, D16, D18, D20, D22, D24 and a D30, but I don't even know what a quarter of those would be used for.

I know Dungeon Crawl Classic uses all of the D3, D4, D5, D6, D7, D8, D10, D%10, D12, D14, D16, D20, D24 and D30, but what system would give you a use for a D9, D11, D13, D15, D18 or D22?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming
youtube.com/watch?v=G7zT9MljJ3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=8UUPlImm0dM
youtube.com/watch?v=uAnCL3vhVIs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You don't have a d13
But you will need one trust me...

For what?

>thinking the d5 is fair
>thinking the d7 is fair
>thinking the d9 is fair
>thinking the d11, d13, and d15 are fair
>thinking the design of the d14 is fair
>ditto for d18 and probably the d16, d22, d24

>having a dedicated D3 and not just modulating the d6
>having a dedicated D100 and not just multiplying a D10 by 10
>having a dedicated D10 and not just modulating the D20
>having a dedicated D30 and not just using a modulated-D6 D3 in conjunction with a modulated-D10 D20
>having a dedicated D24 and not just using a D12 in conjunction with a coin toss
>having a dedicated D16 and not just using a D8 in conjunction with a coin toss
>having a dedicated D12 and not just using a D6 in conjunction with a coin toss
>having a dedicated D8 and not just using a D8 in conjunction with a coin
>having a dedicated D4 and not just tossing two coins
>having a dedicated coin to toss and not just modulating a D6

step up your game senpai

I kek'd

>thinking those dice aren't fair

>a triangular prism
>fair as a die

There is a Goldilocks zone where the prism is just long enough to land on its rectangular faces as often as it lands on its triangular ones, but where that zone is varies depending on what the die is made of and what the surface you're rolling the die on is made of. You know that superstition that says you have to reroll a die if it rolls off the table? With a triangular prism d5 you might actually need to do that to make sure the roll remains uniformly random, MAYBE unless the floor is made of the same material as the table.

It's a reasonable conjecture to say that the same thing goes for the other irregular dice, so at my table, the burden of proof is on you when you say that you're fair.

If you want to bitch about the dice players use, don't play a system that would make them need irregular dice. Any company that makes dice should design their dice to be truly random.

You should always reroll dice that fall off the table anyway.

The d7 is patented by Zocchi of GameScience dice.

It's actually a fair die, the patent is the ratio/length of the prism being the "Goldilocks" zone where all faces are equally likely.

No idea if it was calculated or determined by experimentation, but I've seen people test it.

>You should always reroll dice that fall off the table anyway.
Why? If the die is fair and a single side is facing upwards, as long as it's a fair die, the outcome will have been probabilistically equivalent irregardless of where the die landed. You're right that companies *should* make their dice random, but that doesn't mean they will. They'll make whatever people will buy.

>trusting the guy who made the abomination in pic related

>implying the d100 isn't a mathematically sound invention, despite being impractical for actual use

>using a d6 that's only numbered one through three
>not using an actual d3

>d10 is a modulated d20
>Not d20 as a d10 and coin toss

d10 Master Race. You can keep your epic Nat20 memes to yourself.

>coin toss
>coin toss
>coin toss
>coin toss
>golf ball that never stops rolling

Eh.

We've got d% for d100, I think there could be a medium between coins and golfballs.

d% works under non-base10 for literally anything. Eg, dHexadecimal

The icosahedron is a platonic solid and therefore better.

Doesn't classic Traveller actually use dHexadecimal for one thing or another?

Dunno.

Square numbers only though?

dBase2 = d4
dBase3 = d9
dBase4 = d16
dBase5 = d25
d36
d49
d64
d81
etc

dHexadecimal like d% would be a d256

As long as you have a dN and dM for such that MN = X, you have a dX.

d8 + 8(d2 - 1) = d16.
d4 + 4(d3 - 1) = d12.
d10 + 10(d3 - 1) = d30.

It's the higher prime numbers and the multiples thereof that give you trouble. But even then you can just have a die designed like pic related with twice that many sides and then modulate it by 2.

Oh, and by dHexadecimal I meant Traveller used a d16 expressed in hex, from 0 to F.

I'm late, but
>irregardless

Do you also believe that global warming is a hoax?

If you have to flip through the [DCC] book to remember which dice to roll in a particular situation, then maybe you should be looking at a more commonly utilized probability, and then choose the dice to match.

Did you even read my post?

As soon as you introduce geometrical irregularities to the die, the result starts to depend on outside factors such as what surface you're rolling the die on and what the die is made out of.

Is chessex a meme?

Nah. Gamescience is the meme dice brand.

Rationing during Total Wars was a mistake.

I don't care about "fairness" of a dice brand, but I unironically like gamescience dice from an aesthetic standpoint.

How balanced are teetotums anyway?

Pic related has a combat system remarkably similar to dnd, except the damage dealt by each attack is a random amount from zero to the maximum possible with whatever weapon and strength is used.

So if you made a game which modeled that with dice, you'd need every dice up from d2-1 to d135-1.

Table top system when?

>having a dedicated D20 and not just tossing 20 coins simultaneously

Can anyone recommend where to buy dice in Lithuania or places that ship to here?

It's a proven hoax regardless of how retarded a person's dice preferences are, you fucking dipshit.

by proven hoax do you mean proven real?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

I've got one of those, in black.
Don't know why I even bought it. Just for a 'weird die' I think. Never used it.

that's how he makes 90% of his money

>muh dice
>not just using dice pools
????

Also,
>using 1d20
>not using "3d20, take middle"

Any brands to look for? I like metal dice. I got a set on massdrop for $27 and like them

is this the perfect medium between 3d6 and 1d20

>he bought into the global warming hoax

a mate of mine is working on a homebrew of people playing runescape

Metal dice seem like a good idea before you get them, but they are seldom worth it. They are almost always more difficult to read, and sometimes you can't use them due to whatever surface you are rolling on.

>linking to wiki
This is an 18+ site dude.

>not just making dice that fall off the table count as the worst possible result
saves time and energy
or are you too spastic to throw your dice reasonably?

d10 vs twice 0-9 d20
Which is fairest/hardest to cheat with?

>but what system would give you a use for a D9, D11, D13, D15, D18 or D22?
Nothing

And how would you do go about that, adding up the values of the faces? That wouldn't work; see pic related.

The latter. It has more symmetries -- on the platonic icosahedron, every face, edge, and vertex is identical to every other both in its dimensions and in its relative position to every other face, edge, and vertex; whereas on the pentagonal bipyramid, that's only true for the faces. It's still pretty hard to throw deliberately though.

Numberphile's series on dice geometry should be required viewing for anyone who wants to talk about the fairness of dice on this board.

youtube.com/watch?v=G7zT9MljJ3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=8UUPlImm0dM
youtube.com/watch?v=uAnCL3vhVIs

>>having a dedicated D4 and not just tossing two coins

I know this is bait, but tossing two coins has three possible outcomes not four;

Heads-Heads
Heads-Tails
Tails-Tails

It is.

Heads-Heads
Heads-Tails
Heads-Edge
Tails-Tails
Tails-Edge
Edge-Edge
Coins have three sides.

With combinations that's true, but not with permutations. That's like saying there are only 55 possible outcomes on d%. If it matters which coin is heads and which coin is tails, you have four outcomes: HH, HT, TH, and TT.

I fucking love collecting die.

I hate the loose/non matching sets like you get in pound o' die

Curious if anyone knows of a place I can order custom die? of course 3D printing is an option, but those die are unbalnced pieces of garbo.

This ain't Legacy of Kain motherfucker, edge doesn't count

Every one I've seen falls over at some point, so not very.

Alright user, you got me.