A Dark Souls-esque campaign setting

If a person were to want to create a campaign setting taking inspiration from the Souls series (and by extension Berzerk) what would you want to see in that setting? What would you consider to be the core elements of Dark Soul's lore that gives it such a distinctive feel?

Would it be dressing up Eastern philosphical and religious concepts in a Western coat of paint? A world being slowly overrun by monsters from without and equally monstrous people from within?

Every monster, demon, undead lord or abomination, no matter how unspeakably terrible, rotted, pathetic or foul, has some bit of the dignity or might it once held.

Withered, tattered beauty. A 'twilight of the gods' (literally or not) in which you live amongst slow but advanced decay. Apocalyptic atmosphere.

You don't actually want a carbon copy of the themes and ideas in Dark Souls or you might as well just do Dark Souls.

>If a person were to want to create a campaign setting taking inspiration from the Souls series
Let me save you some time

>What would you consider to be the core elements of Dark Soul's lore that gives it such a distinctive feel?

It being nonexistent? The goal of the series was to simulate the feeling of reading a fantasy novel in a language you only partially understand. You can easily do this on tabletop by having a Russian DM who chooses 20 monsters from the Monster Manual to fight and says "make something up" when asked about the story.

Basically a feeling of "you missed the party, the stars of the party are gone, and all you're left is with the stragglers and the mess" ?

Didn't KDM come first?

KDM was announced back in 2011, which was when DkS came out. Both take inspiration from the same sources so it's dumb to argue who did what first.

Souls series technically started with Demon's Souls, which predates both. Why is this always forgotten?

Irrelevant, they're near-identical in setting and tone. If you want to be a shit peasant fighting gribblies and corrupted knights in a realm that used to be cool and is now full of gribblies and corrupted knights, no reason to re-invent the wheel.

There is a story to Dark Souls, there are concrete events, places and people that you string together through your own experience. Hell, it gives you the entire solid set up at the beginning.

It's less about having a detailed, intricate plot and more about experiencing the world that plot affected, if that makes sense.

>you missed the party, the stars of the party are gone, and all you're left is with the stragglers and the mess

Well, that's the thing, you meet ALL the important people in Dark Souls, and kill a bunch, too, but they're all of them in their twilight, shells of what they once were, which part of that whole decay thing.

Jesus Christ we have one of these threads every other day

Soulsfags are cancer. They're as bad as the guys who think that Zelda has some fucking overarching narrative with multiple timelines or some shit.

Demon's Souls is a bit different tone-wise than it's successors. I was just saying that it's more likely that KDM took inspiration from the same sources Miyazaki had when he made Soulsborne games, than from Soulsborne proper.

I enjoyed Dark Souls but I'm so sick of people trying to convert it to tabletop.

I feel the same way. A lot of the things that make Souls games the way they are tied to the game mechanics you can't really replicate with RNG.

Yeah, because there still isn't a good answer yet.

The demand is there. Until someone puts together an answer for it, the demand will, surprise surprise, STILL BE THERE.

Who gives a shit what you want?

I'm actually kind of curious about this, too. I was considering using some of the "feel" of Dark Souls for part of my campaign in the Greyhawk setting. Specifically, I want to really drive home just how terrible Tharizdun's corruption is, since he's the god of entropy and all. I realized afterwards that his domain actually fit really well with Dark Souls themes, what with all the moldering thrones and dying fires.

people have tried many times and the results are never satisfying because Soulsborne doesn't work well in tabletop

You do, you dumb fuck.

Not because my opinion is special, or because I deserve anything at all. But because you already give a shit about this enough to post in this thread and KEEP posting in this thread.

You hate the constant stream of souls threads? Have fun with that. Because you can piss and moan all you want about the symptoms, but unless the core reason that the threads are made in the first place is somehow addressed? This keeps happening.

We're not stuck in Veeky Forums with you. We are happy to make these threads every day.

You are the one upset about this. You are the one stuck in Veeky Forums with us.

You are mad. Zelda does have multiple timelines. Dark Souls is a better game than you are a person.