Zombie Thread 2.0

Inspired by All Flesh and End of the World, post some good zombie apocalypse or zombie art.

please keep the mutual autism about tanks vs. zombies and romero being an evil armyhater to a minimum this time

Other urls found in this thread:

mega
twitter.com/AnonBabble

GURPS Zombies has a good mini campaign world where the players are near future astronauts stranded on an alien hive world (think 40k) overrun by nanotech zombies. Think 28 days later + Interstellar + Dead Space Hell, one of the four main character archetypes is a xeno-linguist so you can add Arrival to the mix. Also, the ship they used to get there is a one way FTL ship that still took decades to get to the alien world (no hope of rescue). Finally, because constructing the ship was so difficult, they had to fit a minimal amount of crew on board (15 and 3 are dead by the start of the campaign). That means a minimal amount of replacements for each player.

All in all, a very interesting zombie campaign even for people who aren't interested in GURPS.

Interesting, though I personally prefer more realistic zombie campaigns. Modern day or roughly around it, even a year or two back.

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH GUYS?

I'm not him, but is has that too. Also is anyone else booty-bothered by how the guy holds the shotgun in OP's pic?

have you tried Z-nation?

sure some of the later seasons are a little weird, BUT, zombies have been around in that universe long enough that people can be a little light-hearted about them. they're still a viable threat too.

even if the "fuel problem" isn't a thing in the show.

nope. that's how you hold one of those left-handed if you want to aim it(something you shouldn't really bother doing with that kind of grip)

it's fine, but I'd still prefer a stock on my zompocalypse weapon so I can shoulder it.

Z-Nation is good if you're with some friends and want to just fuck around and laugh.

It's got shitty special effects, shitty actors, zombies that range from hypercompetent to braindead, horrible greenscreen sets, atrocious writing, but it's a Syfy b-movie style show that doesn't take itself seriously.

It's definitely good if you watch it just to have fun and know what it is, not expecting any kind of meaningful zombie drama.

oh wait...I mis-read that post.

I thought you implied that you liked settings that had STARTED around a year or two back...

I want to run a zombie apocalypse game for my group at some point and I've been considering Savage Worlds because it is GREAT for large combats due to nothing having HP, just a damage threshold to pass. I also have a Bag'O'Zombies so I have over 100 glow in the dark zombie minis, and a battle grid. I've been working on a few small scavenging tables but I'm not quite sure how far to go. I want it to be a very harsh campaign where if the characters are not smart they WILL die, and probably will anyway. I also am taking a lot of inspiration from State of Decay, a game whose concept I loved but execution I loathed. I considered basing a homebrew zombie system off of State of Decay as I hate AFMBE for reasons I won't go into right now, and GURPS, while excellent, is more bookkeeping on the zombie end than I would like.

However, Savage Worlds has good fast combat, and while some of the rules are stupid (like the +2 to hit from shotguns) I like the system overall. However, it is too pulpy in its current form. Thus, my changes:

> remove bennies
> gritty damage is always in effect
> 3 round burst gives +1 die of damage (i.e. 3d8 instead of 2d8)
> shotgun gives +1 to hit
> zombie bite deals Str damage, if > Armor the character is infected (might have a grapple rule instead)

What do you guys think? I'm considering brewing my own system anyway cause I feel like it'd be more fun, and I don't like Savage Worlds' stats much anyway.

Personally I'd recommend All Flesh Must Be Eaten. It does it better than Savage Worlds desu and a lot of your homebrew changes will be things already reflected in All Flesh.

>drama
not something I particularly want from Zombies. probably why I like it so much.

and despite the lightheartedness it still can have some meaningful issues to deal with, food, water, fuel, replacement vehicles, ammo, etc. that's why I think it's a good show for a GM who wants to run a zombie game, it does a good job of stressing the real problems faced by people in such a setting alongside other odder threats like "the Kraken" from season 3 episode 1(no telling what that actually is though so go watch the show)

all the above aside though it DOES still allow for sillyness like bedazzled zombies, the entire character that is Doc, "the cheese wheel" etc. it even plays like an RPG too, with shotguns sometimes doing good damage and sometimes nothing and then sometimes critting and shattering steel and concrete.

BEEP BEEP

LAST RUNNING VEHICLE ON EARTH JUST DELIVERING THE BEST ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE RPG WITH MY LAST TANK OF FUEL

USE IT WELL, I'M OFF TO DRIVE INTO THE DESERT AND HOPEFULLY STARVE!

How much can you carry, along with your other vital supplies and tools, without ending up slower than one of the dead?

I agree with this. Unisystem is really good, easy to learn and you don't have to strip out a ton of fucking retarded shit in order to make it not suck like you do with shitvag worlds

Dead Reign would be good if they hadn't released it unfinished.

Still great for reference and ideas though, but playing it on its own is torture.

I GUESS YOU'RE NOT VERY GOOD AT ROLEPLAYING GAMES THEN!

CAN'T HELP YOU I'M SLOwly receding in the distance...

Unisystem may be one of the best systems ever designed. It's a shame that it doesn't have the recognition it deserves. It completely blows Savage out of the RPG water.

Dead Reign isn't bad but its fluff as-written is really dumb.

Like I said, I don't really want to run AFMBE. I will explain why (because a lot of it is probably my personal autism):

> I don't like how life points work and how large the numbers are even though I appreciate the cleverness of the Str x 4, Str x 5, etc weapon damage mechanic and how it requires larger amounts of health.
> I don't like the lack of granularity in the stats, but it is same as savage worlds in that regard
> I don't like that a zombie game makes me track HP for each zombie. I am sure most of them die in one hit but I would rather avoid that
> I don't like the skill list, it smacks too much of GURPS in being overly specific

Overall I just don't really like the feel of the system much. Savage Worlds is nice except for the bennies which piss me the fuck off.

sorry I can't hear you from over here my apocalypse vehicle is way too far away goodbye now

Alright then have fun little buddy

AFMBE is catered towards making your own zombie apocalypse setting with your own zombies. Not all zombies go down in one hit. Even the standard zombies are incredibly tough unless you're landing headshots.

The skill list is nice IMO, allows a lot more roleplay than one would expect out of a "zombies rpg" system like All Flesh.

There are also multiple options in the Revised edition for D20 conversion, different ways of doing health for both players and zombies, different ways of calculating damage, and different ways to use skills, expand skills, or streamline skills.

AFMBE is not only a great game on its own, but the level of almost effortless customization is fantastic in its own right.

>it smacks too much of GURPS in being overly specific

GURPS, which is modular in the way of you being able to roll skills into each other at a whim because you're the GM and the system is built for it, has as many skills as you need. All Flesh's skill list has enough where it does more than you would expect from a Zombie RPG without being too expansive. I generally hate Zombie shit, but All Flesh was more than alright.

>Zombie apocalypse starts after a supersoldier project's materials (which include a specially designed virus intended to benefit the host) is removed from containment by a spy and ends up entering the water supply by accident
>People that drink the water eat three times as much but benefit from significantly increased intelligence, strength, reaction time when they are fed
>Insane healing factor effectively revivifies a subject that's not killed outright and has enough stored up energy to make up the difference
>Suddenly everyone's going ballistic about the water and are either trying to sue for damages or get some so they can benefit from it as well
>Eventually the government tries to enforce quarantine on the whole city
>People with the virus that can't get fed go lizardbrain mode and go nuts with hunger
>Healing factor also depends on a steady flow of food, so they shrivel up and collapse/go into a coma unless they have something to eat
>Guess what animal is plentiful in a metropolis?
Yay or nay.

Yeah, sorry. I'm not saying it's a shit system, it just rubs me the wrong way. You are fully welcome to call me autistic because I know my complaints are bullshit.

Actually, I lied, a bigger part of it is that my players already know Savage Worlds and have a huge boner for it so it would be easiest to run that instead of another system.

Yeah that's fair. I mean the skill list is no worse than Savage Worlds' which has Gambling alongside Fighting, and I actually like GURPS skills, it just seems a bit cluttered. And while I don't mind the "here's how to hack our rules" sections, I find them to be a lot of trouble myself.

I dunno, though, maybe I'll give it another chance. I read the system a couple times about a year ago and got frustrated with it. If I run the zombie RPG with my group I'll probably use either SW or a homebrew, but if it's with another group I might give AFMBE another try even though it sets off my autism.

Conditional yay if you switch coma with hibernation until a food source comes within grabbing distance.

I gotta say, I always like a setting that grapples with the fact that superpowers must come with massive metabolism shifts.

Hibernation is good. I was considering having it so in the initial shift (where food needs are the greatest) the subjects undergo major sensory processing disorder as their body re-outfits itself- when this time passes, most of their senses improve to the point of over-stimulation, which gives them the ability to hear when something is approaching even when unconscious. This would allow them to constantly sleep but respond instantly to changes in the environment, like when a poor dope enters their house looking desperately to see if the pantry has anything left (it doesn't).
So a zombie would slowly phase out of its hibernation (I had originally thought a coma made more sense because of the desperate straits of the situation) and then move from its hiding place to pursue a new source of walking talking food.

Oh, and one more thing: I had considered having the players be from or meet an organization called 'Antivenom', soldiers and experts who had already been subjected to the virus given a quarantined base and regular supply airdrops to study and contain the virus from inside the quarantine zone. If they do well, they'll eventually receive treatment from scientists based off the data they retrieved. If they go full murderhobo, they stop getting supplied and get carpetbombed instead when the army believes everyone's gone feral.

lol I didn't call you anything my dude, go have fun and stop defending the choices you've made online. why bother?

Dead Reign is on the same tier as Outbreak Undead on the whole. It's only good for the tables (which are fantastic) and the fluff which is decent to mine for inspiration. Absolutely worth a look for anyone who wants to run a zombie game though, just for those tables.

Source?

how does this look to you for a zompocalypse accessory?

thinking good for characters that operate in a recon and salvage support role.

LET US DISCUSS PROPER DRESS AND FASHION ACCESSORIES FOR THE ZOMBIE-LAND

THICK CLOTHES. When the pest control stops going around the mosquito will come back. The virus is transmitted via mosquito too, so you'll either need to gtfo the southern USA or get some nice, thick clothes. To sweat to death in.

I was thinking full-body under-armor to combat the skeeters and the sun. you don't need thick clothes to get either thing covered, just a bit of coverage.

heavy canvas works good for other clothes though, like pants or as an underlay garment to attach armor to.

though the idea of my fellow Texans adopting the aesthetic of the tuskan raiders has some appeal to it...

mega

nz/#F!KhsTyRbC!OnFdmT3HyTSoWmN8cZ7yPA

Florida here bro, we got mosquitoes that go through most clothes. Plus, the high temps and humidity with no killing frost adds up to unlivable levels pretty quick. Unless you want your players dousing themselves in mud and looking like post-apocalyptic beekeepers, don't do a campaign in Florida.

But we're talking gear, yeah? For hands, you need some cover. Rubber gloves are cut and pierce resistant, but not for long. Plus they make your hands sweat like a beast. Most people don't have any hand coverings, except maybe rubber gloves.

>don't do a campaign in Florida.
I went there once. never again. I just didn't like the atmosphere there.

but southern coastal Texas (Corpus Christi region) is actually protected from being so bad by the high near constant winds. out here it's the humidity and heat that kills you dead

the mosquitoes aren't so bad with enough wind.

Actually I can see that happening. Mosquito bites a fresh zombie or an almost dead infected, fills up on infected blood - then bites a healthy person and transmits the disease. This could cause the rapid spread that can demolish society in some places.

Anyone got a compilation with the new AFMBE books?

R E D

M A R K E T S

Ah disregard, the books are in the newest share thread PDF along with the new revised core.

they reprint it lately?

There was a revised edition I had a damaged physical copy of that I didn't have a pdf of.

Admittedly Mega isn't downloading for me right now so if someone has an alternate download source for AFMBE I'd be grateful.

There are all kinds of cut and puncture resistant gloves. Mail gloves are common for people that work with meat or fish. More modern materials are used by construction and farm workers as well as police and prison guards.
Looking for reference I found these rated for blister agents, could be handy for zombies.

But I'm insecure :P

Anyway, people should post good adventure ideas for a zombie post-apocalypse.

My favorite is still:

> party ends up holed up inside a major city like in Walking Dead Season 1
> fiddling with radio trying to call for evac
> overhear unsecured military channel saying they are going to nuke the city in 24 hours
> characters have 1 day to GTFO

You'd want something for your forearms, too.

The Dead Reign corebook (which you can grab ) has a table of 101 adventure ideas.