>2017
>people still think the tyranids use the warp in any way
>even though it's never mentioned in fluff
>even though it has been explicitly stated that they use other means of communication and travel

i'm not well versed on tyranid lore or anything, but I think the idea of tyranids just being bugs who are really good at being bugs is pretty chill.
Maybe its just because i'm a slight /an/ fag but I think it would be kinda neato if tyranids communicated through pheromones or special body language similar to bees and ants.

Brain pheromones.

>even though it's never mentioned in fluff
Its explicitly stated that Tyranids affect the warp when they're around. Its not even hidden, they have a rule called THE SHADOW IN THE WARP.

They are psychic bugs, the fact they don't use the Warp to travel around the galaxy doesn't mean they can't use the Warp. The Shadow in the Warp being the best example.

sage goes in the options field.

Zoanthropes.

That doesn't mean they USE THE WARP it just means they can affect it. Which everything can if it has psionic presence.
You git.

There is a thing called the Warp, which they affect, which in turn provides them with a tactical advantage. They may not be harnessing it in the conventional manner, but they are definitely interacting with it to their own benefit.

I've always likened it to a heard of cattle running past a snare drum. They might not be playing it, but they sure as hell make it harder to play.

No, it's more like a DDOS attack. Other people can't access the website because it's spamming all the connections.

Yeah, but that's an active attack. SITW is more of a passive side effect of them being there, not something done purposefully.

>implying the warp's sole purpose for non-Chaos is travel and communication

they harness warp energy but in a way that's unfathomable and unknown

>What are zoanthropes and neurothropes ?
>What is the Hive Mind ?
>why is OP sucking such big balls ?

>Warp blast
>"a blast of pure Warp energy"

They go into hibernation between galaxies.They take eons to get where they are going. The Light of Pharos back during the Heresy is what attracted Leviathin to the milky way. The hive mind clouds the warp...because there are trillion of bugs with no souls. The warp is emotion given form. tyranids have no emotion.

THEY HAVE PSYCHIC POWERS

THEREFORE

THEY USE THE WARP

What's stated in the codex is that they don't use the RAW power of the Warp but this shit is nothing new.

They use their OWN psychic energy instead of channeling the rest of the warp, but guess what:

PSYCHIC ENERGY CAN ONLY BE GENERATED IN THE WARP.

So they only use the part of the warp that's called the Hivemind as a source of power.

But this is nothing new.

they do: hunger.
The shadow in the warp is NOT a soul void. It's the tyranids' hunger and telepathic chatter overwhelming every other psychic phenomena by its sheer power.

as a matter of fact it's in a way that's both fathomable and known:

Hunger is not an emotion it is a feeling

Zoanthropes are just using the hivemind, not the warp.

Straighten out your lore user.

How do they travel?

Do they just fucking jump into space by the gorillions and hope they land somewhere? Do they at least steer?

Fuckhuge hyper-sensitive bug ships that sense and manipulate gravitational fields. They lock onto the source of biomass and twist gravity until it funnels the fleet toward the biomass. They go faster the farther they are from the target, approaching galaxies at crazy multiples of lightspeed and systems at still significant multiples, but once inside the system they're so slow they switch to more traditional propulsion.

The gravity-twisting also wreaks havoc on the target system, causing devastation on the planets during the years that lead up to their approach.

Semantics. Hunger is an aspect of the mind, and the Tyranid psyche is singlemindedly focused on it; consequently, the Tyranid Hivemind produces a phenomenon described as a "Shadow in the Warp" which contrasts with the multi-colored, ever-shifting chaos which normally fills the Warp due to the complex emotions of other sentient minds. This gives the Tyranids a certain level of protection from the corrupting effects of Chaos, allowing them to use psychic powers safely.

suppressing the warp is the exact opposite of using the warp. you fucking dumb nigger

Don't they have big brain bugs that fuck up tanks and other hard targets with a warp-magic death ray?

thropes dont use the warp, nids have their own special source of psychic power.

in 3rd edition they had a rule making them immune to perils because of that. in 4th ed their perils rolls were explained as their brains overloading, not being attacked by demons.

nids no not use the warp

Where is that girl from?

>suppressing the warp is the exact opposite of using the warp.
No, it's an effect of using the warp. They use it to keep their minds in constant communication with each other and occasionally make blasts and shields from Warp energies, and their psychic presence is so strong and stable that it produces a "shadow" that suppresses the powers of the Warp for others around them, including daemons and other natural hazards.

>thropes dont use the warp, nids have their own special source of psychic power.
This looks like a job for Occam's Razor.

On the one hand, it's possible that the Tyranids have an unknown and unprecedented type of special psychic magic which is unrelated to the Warp which fuels everything else referred to as "psychic powers", has no known means of functioning, and functions like Warp psychic powers in most ways except that it suppresses the Warp around it as a convenient side effect despite not being connected to the Warp.

On the other hand, it's also possible that their psychic powers use the Warp like everyone else's, but their simpler and more active minds are reflected in the Warp like the minds of other sentient beings, warding off the more complex and chaotic effects generated by other species' minds and creating a special Warp zone which is safe and stable for the Tyranids but terrifying and hazardous for non-Tyranid psykers and daemons.

When interpreting data, one should not multiply entities needlessly. If we assume that the Tyranid psychic presence works using established rules of the Warp, it makes sense and doesn't leave any questions awkwardly unanswered. Thus, it seems to be the most likely scenario; we don't need to presume some sort of special non-Warp-based psychic power as an alternative.

They used warp travel before Cruddex.

i gotta tell ya, i had 17 warp charge on average a turn at 1500 points of tyranids a few days ago and that random bullshit perils rule coming back is really fucking aggravating.

dumb niggers on Veeky Forums are always wrong
always
always
always
nids do not use the warp
they use the hive mind

4th ed codex (I think it was fourth) says they harness the will of the hive mind, which harnesses the warp in an unfathomable way

Tyranids don't seem to suffer perils because of how the hivemind works the warp, in lore they have never had an issue with it, obviously gameplay they had to add perils and say it was the hivemind short circuiting their brain

This, however they do seem to use "warp blast" and other warp related dealios, I just assume the hivemind draws on the warp and protects the nids from its perils (somehow)

Why can't the HQ models have personalities and actually talk?

What the fuck?

Please try harder with bait

No, I am dead-fucking-serious.

Give them personalities and not turn them into shitty alien ripoffs.

>b-but Zerg
Oh, so they become the superior Zergs who aren't ruled by a mary sue bitch?

>nids do not use the warp
The page you posted says otherwise. It specifies that anti-Warp technologies work on Tyranid psykers, and the descriptions of their powers make direct reference to "Warp energy"

It also makes reference to the "awesome energies of the hive mind" but it doesn't specify whether the Hive Mind is a warp presence generated by the Tyranids, or yet another parallel dimension that's completely separate from the Warp but interacts with both it and realspace as if the things in it were part of the Warp. I don't see a reason to assume the latter, so I'm going to go with the former explanation.

nah

yes.

>2017
>people still like or care about tyranids

i would give a shit about them if they give me more "your dudes" option

I wouldn't, for exact same reason. "Your dudes" is shit idea.

man, oldnids fanboys are the fucking worst

Just accept that not everybody wants their army to be speshful snowflake. Sometime you want to be a part of something greater.

and that's a shit opinion

enjoy your 8e codex written by crud again :^)

Honestly I can see SOME leeway for independent thought given by the hive mind to it's generals purely for the sake of development. It's shown that the hive mind has to absorb it's biocreatures to gain their genetic samples and experiences. By creating a handful of pseudo intelligences and spreading them across the galaxy it can test tactics in a broad, rapid fashion.

These generals should not fucking speak, because the hive mind does not speak to it's food. If you need a 'voice' for Tyranids that is what genestealer cults are for. Nor should these generals be altogether obviously sentient. However they should be intelligent and have evident predisposition for various tactics, similar to Old One Eye (who should probably have both it's eyes now)

Absolutely nothing besides these psuedo intelligences should be anything different though.

Is this the equivalent of SW hypocrisy?

Just make you own hive fleet and fuck off.

You mean "RUNE PRIESTS ARENT PYSKERS REEE"?

Yep.

*your

>doe not speak to it's food
Boring. At least give the enemy a mindfuck when the Hive Tyrant responds.

I thought tyranids could talk

I remember some magos melding with deathspitter saying some gribbly stuff

Super old lore, hive mind basically asserted control over him after he tried to sorta mind merge with the weapon

It's also repeatedly explicitly stated that tyranids communicate psychically, which means using the warp. Also the hive mind itself is, again repeatedly and explicitly, stated to have a presence in the warp and an awareness of other presences in the warp.

And every tyranid organism is either a psyker, a conduit for psychic communication or basically an animal intended to be operated remotely via psychic communication.

Their entire existence is totally dependent on near-continuous use of the warp by every single individual.

That's like saying broadband radio jamming is the opposite of using radio waves you fucking dumb nigger.

The most ancient of lore. It's from the lore section of Hive War, the oldest tyranid army book in existence. The psyker is asked to do a "reading" on the tyranid artifact and is alarmed when the gun basically responds with "Yo, waddup?" then proceeds to ask the gun questions, which it enthusiastically answers.

Then whoops he formed a local hive mind with the gun and is overtaken by the need to shoot bugs into everything that isn't a tyranid.

Do you think a Tyrant with a personality would just jump into the digestion pool after the planet is conquered? no? fuck off. They're better as a mindless force of destruction.

They do use the warp. In a different way, this way does not seem to facilitate warp travel.

Probably because it's being used for communication.

You realize that the 'Nids are just the body of said hive mind?

That's already the case. It's why Tigirus is so famous, he survived the reply.

Because they are just cells of the mega organism that is the hive mind?

>Using the Hivemind
>Zoanthropes only showed up after Tyranids ate Eldar and gained psychic powers
>Eldar gain their psychic powers from the warp

Gue'va please.

Old noncanon fluff

Jurgen dazes them multiple times by getting close to them, indicating they they do not just passively effect the wrap but also use it in some way.

Pretty sure Zoanthropes are also psykers, unless I am missing some hidden reference in this thread.