/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Battle On The Ice Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/510xk3t3l0m753s/Osprey - MAA 333 - Armies of Medieval Russia 750-1250.pdf
mediafire.com/download/hpw9hkrvo3fckfe/Osprey - WAR 124 - Teutonic Knight 1190-1561.pdf
journal.forces.gc.ca/vo7/no4/stuart-eng.asp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ocean_raid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Birchall
mediafire.com/download/12jiefrj82q484q/Osprey - WAR 055 - Imperial Japanese Naval Aviator 1937-45.pdf
mega.co.nz/#!S99C2TYK!91OrqgI5u2imvHC6h-8IgHkHyHmXZ997crB9O6tXhqw
mediafire.com/download/tx7lxug2wl3wyk8/Air Force.pdf
mediafire.com/download/q8elqgwcw5is771/Air Force - Dauntless.pdf
vintagewargaming.blogspot.co.nz/2017/04/new-scans-of-wargaming-in-twin-cities.html
youtube.com/watch?v=XSEU5zHgcTc
youtube.com/watch?v=DRtnWVvDX6k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

5th April in military history

1081 – Alexios I Komnenos is crowned Byzantine Emperor at Constantinople, bringing the Komnenian dynasty to full power.
1242 – During a battle on the ice of Lake Peipus, Russian forces, led by Alexander Nevsky, rebuff an invasion attempt by the Teutonic Knights.
1536 – Royal Entry of Charles V into Rome: the last Roman triumph.
1609 – The Daimyo of the Satsuma Domain in southern Kyūshū, Japan, completes his successful invasion of the Ryūkyū Kingdom in Okinawa.
1818 – In the Battle of Maipú, Chile's independence movement win a decisive victory over Spain.
1862 – American Civil War: The Battle of Yorktown begins.
1879 – Chile declares war on Bolivia and Peru, starting the War of the Pacific.
1942 – World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy launches a carrier-based air attack on Colombo, Ceylon during the Indian Ocean Raid. Port and civilian facilities are damaged and the Royal Navy cruisers HMS Cornwall and HMS Dorsetshire are sunk southwest of the island.
1943 – World War II: American bombers accidentally cause more than 900 civilian deaths, including 209 children, and 1,300 wounded among the population of the Belgian town of Mortsel. Their target was the Erla factory one kilometer from the area hit.
1944 – World War II: 270 inhabitants of the Greek town of Kleisoura are executed by the Germans.
1946 – Soviet troops leave the island of Bornholm, Denmark after an 11-month occupation.
1951 – Ethel and Julius Rosenberg are sentenced to death for spying for the Soviet Union.
1956 – Fidel Castro declares himself at war with Cuban President Batista.
1969 – Vietnam War: Massive antiwar demonstrations occur in many U.S. cities.
1986 – Three people are killed in the bombing of the La Belle Discothèque in West Berlin.
1992 – The Siege of Sarajevo begins when Serb paramilitaries murder peace protesters Suada Dilberovic and Olga Sučić on the Vrbanja Bridge.

It is 775 years since the Battle on the Ice was fought on Lake Peipus, between the Republic of Novgorod led by Prince Alexander Nevsky and the Crusader army led by the Livonian branch of the Teutonic Knights. It is notable for having been fought largely on the frozen lake's surface, and this gave the battle its name.

Alexander, intending to fight in a place of his own choosing, retreated in an attempt to draw the often over-confident Crusaders onto the frozen lake. The crusader forces likely numbered around 2600, including 800 Danish and German knights, 100 Teutonic knights, 300 Danes, 400 Germans and 1000 Estonian infantry.The Russians fielded around 5,000 men: Alexander and his brother Andrei's bodyguards, totaling around 1,000, plus 2000 militia of Novgorod, 1400 Finno-Ugrian tribesman and 600 horse archers.

The Teutonic knights and crusaders charged across the lake and reached the enemy, but were held up by the infantry of the Novgorod militia. This caused the momentum of the crusader attack to slow. The battle was fierce, with the allied Russians fighting the Teutonic and crusader troops on the frozen surface of the lake. A little after two hours of close quarters fighting, Alexander ordered the left and right wings of his army (including cavalry) to enter the battle. The cavalry included some Mongol horse archers. The Teutonic and crusader troops by that time were exhausted from the constant struggle on the slippery surface of the frozen lake. The Crusaders started to retreat in disarray deeper onto the ice, and the appearance of the fresh Novgorod cavalry made them retreat in panic.

It is commonly said that "the Teutonic knights and crusaders attempted to rally and regroup at the far side of the lake, however, the thin ice began to give way and cracked under the weight of their heavy armour, and many knights and crusaders drowned"; but Donald Ostrowski in "Alexander Nevskii’s "Battle on the Ice": The Creation of a Legend" contends that the part about the ice breaking and people drowning was a relatively recent embellishment to the original historical story.

The battle was a significant defeat sustained by the crusaders during the Northern Crusades, which were directed against pagans and Eastern Orthodox Christians rather than Muslims in the Holy Land. The crusaders' defeat in the battle marked the end of their campaigns against the Orthodox Novgorod Republic and other Russian territories for the next century.

The event was glorified in Sergei Eisenstein's historical drama film Alexander Nevsky, released in 1938, which created a popular image of the battle often mistaken for the real events. Sergei Prokofiev turned his score for the film into a concert cantata of the same title, with "The Battle on the Ice" being its longest movement.

mediafire.com/download/510xk3t3l0m753s/Osprey - MAA 333 - Armies of Medieval Russia 750-1250.pdf
mediafire.com/download/hpw9hkrvo3fckfe/Osprey - WAR 124 - Teutonic Knight 1190-1561.pdf

It is 75 years since the Easter Sunday Raid, an air attack by carrier-based aircraft of the Imperial Japanese Navy against Colombo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). The targets were British warships, harbour installations, and air bases.

The Japanese struck with 125 aircraft. Under the command of Commander Fuchida of Akagi—who had led the attack on Pearl Harbor—they made landfall near Galle. The planes flew up the coast for half an hour in full view from land, however the RAF were not informed at Ratmalana. RAF aircraft were on the ground as the Japanese flew overhead.

The Japanese attacked the naval base at Colombo, sinking the armed merchant cruiser HMS Hector and the old destroyer HMS Tenedos in the harbor. 18 Japanese planes were lost to heavy AA fire. The RAF lost at least 27 aircraft. Japanese search planes located HMS Cornwall and HMS Dorsetshire 200 miles southwest of Ceylon. A second attack wave sank the ships, killing 424 men. In the late afternoon, just before sunset, two Royal Navy Fairey Albacores operating from the British aircraft carriers made contact with the Japanese carriers. One Albacore was shot down and the other damaged before an accurate sighting report could be made, frustrating plans for a retaliatory night strike by radar-equipped Albacores. The RN's only opportunity to launch a strike against the enemy aircraft carriers faded away.

One Allied hero of the day was the RCAF's Leonard Birchall. The day of the attack - only two days after he arrived on station - he was flying a PBY Catalina flying boat that was patrolling the ocean to the south of Ceylon. Nine hours into the mission, as the plane was about to return to base, ships were spotted on the horizon. Investigation revealed a large Japanese fleet, including five aircraft carriers, heading for Ceylon. Birchall's crew managed to send out a radio message, but the Catalina was soon shot down by six Zero fighters from the carrier Hiryū. The raid went ahead despite Birchall’s signal, but his warning put the defenders on alert and allowed the harbour to be partially cleared before the Japanese attacked Colombo.

This is one of the more obscure actions of the Asia/Pacific Theatre and presents interesting challenges to wargamers. A hypothetical Japanese invasion of Ceylon makes for an intriguing "what-if" campaign. Churchill said: "The most dangerous moment of the War, and the one which caused me the greatest alarm, was when the Japanese Fleet was heading for Ceylon and the naval base there. The capture of Ceylon, the consequent control of the Indian Ocean, and the possibility at the same time of a German conquest of Egypt would have closed the ring and the future would have been black."

journal.forces.gc.ca/vo7/no4/stuart-eng.asp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ocean_raid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Birchall

mediafire.com/download/12jiefrj82q484q/Osprey - WAR 055 - Imperial Japanese Naval Aviator 1937-45.pdf

Check Your 6! and the Dauntless expansion for AH's Air Force would both be excellent ways of refighting the raid:

mega.co.nz/#!S99C2TYK!91OrqgI5u2imvHC6h-8IgHkHyHmXZ997crB9O6tXhqw
mediafire.com/download/tx7lxug2wl3wyk8/Air Force.pdf
mediafire.com/download/q8elqgwcw5is771/Air Force - Dauntless.pdf

The community project this month is an obsolete unit or vehicle.

Does anyone know what the quality is like with those new "War and Empires" 15mm miniatures? And if anyone backed the kickstarter what is the ruleset like?

I'm painting up a unit of germans for my fall of Berlin project

Bump until anons are done waking up and getting to work

Is that some delicious T34/85's?

Some tasty little t34/85s and panthers, very well painted.

Is Ivan here? Am I misreading Five Men At Kursk or can I only activate 3 guys per turn?

The mini quality is very good, I have no idea about the rules I didn't care about that only the figures.

Haven't read Kursk, but yeah, that's how Normandy works.

There are some optional rules for Normandy to add another activation for every three guys beyond the first nine.

Why are Nip carriers so aesthetic?

Mini quality is excellent, at least on my Persians.

GHQ? Those are damn sexy, whatever make they are.

Can someone give me a run down on saga? Being a warhammer 40k player, i wanted a historical game, which would be a good game to also introduce to people new to wargaming. Do you think it is a good game for that?
What are the pluses and minuses of saga?

Just play bolt action, it's 4th edition 40k.

GHQ: if you're even remotely passable at using an airbrush, it's practically cheating.

Or, you know, he could want to play Ancients?

If NEA shows up, he'll give you a good summary. From what I remember people saying about it, it's a little gamey, but it plays fast, lower figure count, and it's lots of fun. It's very difficult to have a game play out the same way twice, something to do with scenario generation IIRC.

I have heard bolt action, like the "fluff" though is it good for introducing people to miniature games?

I couls not find an "ancients" game. What is it? And what do you mean gamey?

The term "ancients" collectively refers to games set way back when, as opposed to a "modern."
Gamey in the sense that it's not a strictly simulationist, groggy sort of thing with lots of tables, and it abstracts and takes liberty with some things for the sake of fun and playability.

Ancients is a general term, usually referring to pre-medieval stuff. Though really SAGA is medieval, just on the early end.

Gamey is the game experience of playing the game is very much that; it's not trying to be much of a simulation, but it does at least use the 'fluff' to directly influence how things work in terms of how armies play differently to each other.

Right, so Saga is the game about Vikings (or Crusaders or Late Late Romans).

Roughly forces of between 17 - 50 figures, usually falling around 25-30. Simple, refreshing mechanics and cool dice-based activation skill system.

The only minuses as far as I'm concerned is that not enough people near me play it, and I can't find the motivation to finish my mounted Crusader Knights.

Well, OK.

First, SAGA offers an easier route into historicals play than, say, dropping a copy of "Seekrieg V" or, "From Valmy to Waterloo" on the table. It's always OK to try and steer things into more complex games later on, but SAGA serves a purpose as an entry-level historicals game for people who would otherwise be unwilling to try out a REAL historicals game. It's somewhat similar to Bolt Action in that way.

Second, SAGA actually offers pretty good gameplay in a "cool-thentic" sort of way. It's certainly not completely historical, but it feels close enough most of the time, and offers plenty of potential for cinematic moments.

A side bonus is that it's highly replayable. What I mean by that is that in many games, once you have constructed an army to do a "thing", all your games are going to feel "same-y" to a certain degree - your games are going to be won (or at least be competitive) if you are able to pull off your "thing", and you are likely to lose if you can't pull off your "thing". In SAGA, though, your tactics are dictated largely by what your dice give you. That is, each time you roll your SAGA dice, the options available to you on your battleboard will change, and you have to find a way to apply your available options to the game state in that moment. Therefore, your army can play totally differently in two different games, and you can never be sure of being able to pull off your "thing" when you really need to.

Finally, I also feel that the incredibly simplistic "Levy, Warrior, Hearthguard" army composition system is a point in the game's favor, since it emphasizes the lack of importance of list-building. There's a few factions that demand more thought (Angry-Saxons need tons of warriors in groups of ~10-12, for example), but by and large, if you have a 1-2 points of Levy models, 4 points of warrior models, and 2-3 points of Hearthguard models available to you, you'll have a workable force in practically any 6-pt game.

Saga is cool, got my wargaming group from Warhammer Fantasy Battles & 40k into the historical side of things.

I never played SAGA, but people enjoy it. I'm more into massed battle games myself, if you are like me take a look at the stuff Warlord Games release.

The hardest part of GHQ's stuff is the mold lines :(

hard to spot them?
I never had much trouble with mould lines on GHQ stuff? Even some of the figures from the 80ies are still quite nice.

A pretty picture you might enjoy.

vintagewargaming.blogspot.co.nz/2017/04/new-scans-of-wargaming-in-twin-cities.html

It turns out they *had* invented colour back then.

Thinking of getting myself a SU-76 for my Soviet army but I don't really like the model for it. Are there any equivalent german tank destroyer which I could paint up as having been captured by the russians? Or maybe an american tank sent by lend lease.

Check out the Marder series.

Marder 1 (a captured french tank chassis)
Marder 2 (Pz 2 chassis with a soviet gun on top of it)
Marder 3 (3 different versions mostly based on the Pz 38 t chassis).

Soviets also captured a number of Stug 3s and also Panzer 3s which they converted into their own version of a stug. (Some of these actually were captured back by the germans).

You also could use M-10 Wolverines, since they got a couple from the USA.

SU-76i?

I'm trying to mimic the bolt action rules as close as possible as well as try to get the look and feel of the SU-76 so as not to get called out for cheesing. The closest regarding those three choices are the Marder 1 which is a good choice. The other ones have either to strong weapons or are not enclosed which I want mine to be.

An option I found was the british Archer SP 17 but its turret is unfortunately on backwards. But hey, it doesn't look so bad so maybe I'll go for this.
Another option the 'Priest' M7 which in my opinion looks frecking great.

Thoughts on that?

Anyone have any experience with the Warlord Panzer 38(t)? Is it ok? Some of their tanks are really disappointing in quality.

>or are not enclosed

Su-76 is open as is the Marder 1. (and all the other Marder versions).

I was referring to the StuG. The marder 1 is a good choice

Marders are awesome.

Would you say it's a fair representation of a light howitzer and a medium anti tank gun?
If so, I'm hooked

Ah, the Irish.

>1 minute later, lazy shitpost
fuck off your meme is shit

>losing to a bunch of mongrel slav peasants ruled over by swedish viking "noblemen"

For shame, Teutons, for shame.

>space marines
>okay
>starcraft battlecruisers
>huuuhuuuuuuurgh

Delete that image for your honour, or commit suicide.

I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be battle barges. The SC cattlebruiser would probably have more pronounced "wing" tips.

No comment on the warjacks?

those are knights titans brah

>posting "LOOK IT'S THE IRISH" when a Japanese model is posted is fun
At least put some effort in.

This.

Especially since the original thing was someone saying they're not Irish. Which is true.

The date is the 7th of May in the Year of our Lord 1389.
>Fulk's condition has worsened following his participation in the last raid, after getting trampled by a cart horse and losing his foot to gangrene. He has 21 days of recovery time remaining.
>Pulling the crossbow bolt from Godfrey's face has not improved his appearance, leaving his jaw crooked and cheek knotted with raw scar tissue. He has 6 days of recovery time remaining.

Turn 5 Resources:
>2 Balance of Power
>0 Wealth
>2 Dissent

Mission 5
>Objective: Raid (The Grain Stores)
>Weather: Morning Mist

Buoyed by the success of his raid into enemy territory, Godfrey immediately started planning another audacious assault. Word had reached him of a massive grain stockpile held at Cocklaw Foot, ready for dispatch to the holdfasts at Knife Point and Shit Roost.

A hazy and indistinct dawn broke over the borderlands, and Godfrey's men lurched into action after marching across country in the very small hours of the morning. They made it within striking distance of the silo before the Scottish trap was sprung.

Arrows and crossbow bolts ripped through the air at close range, pinning Godfrey and his men at arms up in an empty hovel.

Mabon led the rest in a valiant attempt to break the circle, but was swiftly cut down by advancing Scottish spearmen.

Injuries:
>Godfrey: Dead
>Duff: Knocked Out
>Urbain: Dead
>Brennan: Knocked Out
>RodericK: Moderate Wound (7 Days recovery time, Good medical care.)
>Mabon: Permanent Injury (18 Days recovery time, Tongue cut out.)

Fled:
>Ariane: Vouchsafed
>Jamie: Lucky Break (-1 Morale)
>FulK: Executed

>-1 Morale for suffering heavy casualties.
>-2 Balance of Power for failing to complete the assigned objectives and losing over half of the warband.

The lord of Barrow Hill was returned to his keep, head spitted on a Scottish pike. Those that survived the ambush became Scottish prisoners, those that escaped scattered to the four winds. The Scottish went on to sack the countryside around Barrowburn, before being driven back behind the border by a force of King Edward's knights.

Plague followed soon after, snatching away the lives of many who had managed to survived the fighting.

Godfrey's tenancy at Barrow Hill lasted a mere 24 days.

>First, SAGA offers an easier route into historicals play than, say, dropping a copy of "Seekrieg V" or, "From Valmy to Waterloo" on the table. It's always OK to try and steer things into more complex games later on, but SAGA serves a purpose as an entry-level historicals game for people who would otherwise be unwilling to try out a REAL historicals game. It's somewhat similar to Bolt Action in that way.

Quoted for truth.

The learning curve is REAL, Anons. When introducing new people to our hobby, you ignore it at your peril.

Uhh, those are Space Marine Battle Barges.

Nope, or that artist is really fucking shitty.

Oh wait. Anime. You are right. The artist is just really shitty.

>FulK: Executed
Well he clearly didn't get away scot-free

Morning shot poster-kun

These have been excellent. Thank you for sharing them!

By the way, Shit Roost is now my favorite estate name.

>Plague followed soon after, snatching away the lives of many who had managed to survived the fighting.
This is pretty hilarious, keep it up. Or don't.

/awg/, but has anyone played around with the Chev fantasy supplement? It any good?

Note the young Dave Arneson down the back there; the co-creator of D&D and author of some early wargames like Don't Give Up The Ship (which we have in our Naval Wargaming folder).

Glad you all enjoyed it! I had a lot of fun messing around with the campaign system. I hope it showed off how easy it is to tell an interesting story right out of the book.

> MEEEEEEEEEEEEEN OF HARLECH STOOOP YOUR DREAMING!

Woops, might as well have posted the full blurb there.

That guys helmet is taking off

defending against the martians, obviously

>or even Mars!
Good old VSF crowd. It's like a less-shitty version of Steampunk.

Mostly less shitty.

Why are hex and chit wargames so expensive? If anything I would have thought they'd be cheaper than minis. Combat Commander and ASL regularly go above £100 and while I'd love to have those there's no way I could afford that for a game.

Does anyone have any to recommend that I could get for below £30?

They're small print runs and chit cardboard is surprisingly heavy and expensive. But mostly, very niche. They're a small niche of board games, and require a hell of a lot of work to create. The amount of work that goes into designing a good game - research, development, organised playtesting - from one of the big companies is ridiculous.

For below £30, check stores that sell second-hand games, get into VASSAL or something. There aren't many decent options. Combat Commander really is worth the price though.

ASL supplements tend to require you to own a whole bunch of other ASL, so the market's even smaller.

Yeah, that makes sense. It makes me sad though. I know a couple of the issues of S&T have the chits in with them, do you know if any of the others in the folder above would be printable?

All of the Strategy & Tactics pdfs in the folder have their complete game, and there are other titles in the Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW folders.

Awesome, thanks.

So I bought a KV-1/2 from warlord and they forgot to put in a decal sheet so I contacted the store support and they promised to send me another one. Well today I got a brand new box of the KV-set. Fucking sweet.

Here's my first draft of the simple Soviet-Afghan rules. I tried them out today and it was pretty fun. Mujahideen annihilated a Soviet convoy, capturing 30 soldiers and destroying 4 BMPs, a T-62 and 2 Hinds.
I bumped the price of RPGs and Stingers up a bit after that. Still lots of tweaking and editing to do (trying to refer to it during play is a mess), but thought I'd post it here to see what people think.

just getting into wargames with the pnp game Germania: drusus' campaign 12-9 bc

do you guys have any recs for other pnp solitaire games?

>Dat Name
I'm glad my coffee was nowhere near my mouth.

You need to give the Muj some cavalry so we can recreate the end battle from the Living Daylights.

>Hind and Seek

I thought it would have been taken. I guess there is still room for Hind puns in the world.

Looks like I'm going to have to go back and watch that. Probably haven't seen it since I was a kid. The Muj can move incredibly fast so I guess it must be due to horses and motorcycles... who knows what they get up to when they're 'dispersed' and represented by a marker (with an AK-47 on it...).

Any other films to watch on the Soviet-Afghan war? I've seen Beast of War and most of the documentaries on youtube, as well as 9th company and I have Tihaya Zastava downloaded and ready to watch.

>Any other films to watch on the Soviet-Afghan war?
Rambo 3

Watch Red Dawn, since it's literally just Colorado Mujihadeen:The Movie

Tomorrow I am starting my first historical army. Cannot decide between AWI and Napoleonics. What do you recommend?

Also, is Black Powder considered a decent wargame for beginners?

Charlie Wilson's war.

Haven't played it so can't say but I love the Napoleonic wars so I'd suggest them. If nothing more than just the unit variety

Napoleonics, and yes

This is a good recommendation

What is played locally?

>and yes

>CHEE-AV UN SEH NEAN SUMEH
>CRASH CRASH CHRASH

youtube.com/watch?v=XSEU5zHgcTc

Now the real version.

youtube.com/watch?v=DRtnWVvDX6k

Νο one is into historical unfortunately. I am building this in the hope of finding people later.

I like the blanket mountains

What game did this arise from?

Chevauchee

don't forget

how does Chain of Command compare to Bolt Action?

I'm not shit poster-kun as you like to label anyone who posts anything slightly critical of any post in these threads. I'm Talavera-user(long ago now)/Woodland Indians poster, and frankly posting "haha IRISH" when Japanese models get posted is shitposting. Maybe my post was over the top but the "meme" (if it can be called that) is shit.

In that case, do what you like more.

More importantly, choose which one you're OK with painting at LEAST two armies for. Because if you're going to be the leader in getting a community started, you're going to need at least two moderately-sized forces. I've found that you're really going to need four moderately-sized forces in practice; people are picky, and if you give them a choice between playing Brits, Prussians, Russians, and French, they're much more likely to actually play your demo than if you just tell them, "I'm playing this force of Brits, here's some French for you to play."

I think it's probably just because people like to choose their favorite color of stuff.

(Also because it makes them feel more engaged to choose from a range of choices, whereas if you have one force and make them play the other, they'll feel like you're taking the best force for yourself. There's some pretentious psychological term for it that I can't recall right now.)

Napoleonics are better