EDH/Commander General

"Jank" edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's your most underrated commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breyas-mud-wrestling/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/invent-superiority-wubr-c16-precon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for nu-gods are all gonna be shit

>thread question

First for why is this thing 15$?

Just a quick question; If I have reassembling skeleton in the graveyard, I activate its ability and someone decides to tormod's crypt my graveyard in response, can I activate the skeleton's ability again to avoid it getting exiled?

because its very rare you scua faglord

Sure, why not.

yes

If you have the mana yes. Also activated abilities remain on the stack and resolve regardless of the source being removed so maybe it resolves anyway but i might ve wrong since i'm not sure if his ability needs him to be a valid target in the graveyard or not

What's your most underrated commander?

if Selvala Explorer and Wort Raidmother also counts

A guy in my playgroup plays counterspell tribal and it's really getting annoying. It's not oppressive or anything, it's just zero fun to play against.

You know what to do.

>LGS has EDH tables divided by experience.
>Can't play in the experienced table because I get curbstomped and get my lands mass exiled because they like to target the "new guy"
>Beginners table seem fucking miserable when I'm playing with them as I win 90% of the time.

I either git gud or get lower power leveled commander

Thinking about this for a Prossh combo deck. Thoughts?

What is, exactly, the combo?

It was before the giant player influx from a few years ago so not a lot were printed. It was also a mythic rare and in the 3rd set of the block, which generally sells less anyways. Plus, it's pretty popular in EDH.

I believe there's no combo at all with prossh outside of giving him haste and vigilance and beating someone for 11+ as soon as he hits the field

How much hate does Meren seem to command? Looking to move outside my normal color combos of Blue/Black or Black/Red and try out some of the utter bullshit that Green has available to it in Commander.

quite a lot, but i'm fairly sure golgari will draw hate regardless

bruh. hear me out. staple for that nigga.

You can't bring him back from the graveyard if it has been exiled. But You can activate thé ability in response

Prossh combo is getting out Prossh consistently on turn 3-5 and him swinging for 20+ or his kobolds being 15/1's

There are a lot of variations, also, its competitive.

Wrath de fucking board, it cost less mana

its called damnation you fuck.

You're thinking of the wrong deck.

Food Chain

>this is allowed

>A 2/4 for 5 with a nifty effect
oh look, removal/counter bait

If they aren't playing Yisan I don't really care.

I wish that Reassembling Skeleton's ability would work in every zone, besides library and battlefield

Not quite Jank, but I want to build a powerful Breya artifact reanimator deck. I think I've nailed the basic core of the deck down but need some help with other spicy stuff.

Trying not to go into infinite combo territory if possible though.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breyas-mud-wrestling/

Here's the current core - what do you guys think?

I can only think of black and green not having good defense against landwipe. Build a cheap black mikaeus combo deck with cheap artifact ramp and recursion. No joke, I built mine for under 50 bucks. Very powerful glass cannon.

Or play the politics game. EDH with strangers can be a difficult scenario anyway you slice it.

Do you think Beast Within breaks the color pie? What's the 'official' maro answer?

it's same as pongify/rapid hybridization. i think they do a little bit but it shouldn't matter

pls help

Slow board, morning in the US. Give it time.

If you want artifact reanimation why you don't use Sharuum instead? One color less to care about, you still have black for recursion and blue for powerful artifact sinergies and your general actually does something useful for your main strategy

oh that's right - timezones. for some reason i always overestimate yuro population on Veeky Forums

just kinda like Breya desu. i originally wanted to go infinite and abuse etb with her but my playgroup thinks all magic should be turning creatures sideways.

the ability is still useful since it's a sac outlet imo.

Besides beast within and chaos warp, what should be included in the removal package of a gruul deck? Do I have to resort to brittle effigy and friends?

>Thread Question
Why do all preconstructed commanders have to be at least 1 of the following
>overpowered
>annoying
>boring

Aftershock ain't bad, dessert twister kind of sucks but it's funny to see people react to it

Decimate, Ulvenwald Tracker, Song of the Dryads, and Mizzium Mortars are usually pretty decent at removing creatures.

Any commander could be described as being one of those.

he's right you know, what makes them any better or worse than the non-precon selection?

There's a lot of good stuff in the Breya precon you're missing:
>Sharuum the Hegemon
>Trash for Treasure
>Solemn Simulacrum
etc etc
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/invent-superiority-wubr-c16-precon/

Sphinx Summoner in particular is a massive overachiever. You're going to have so many blinks and recursions going on that you'll often end up using it to tutor 3 times each turn.

Some useful but far from overpowered cards:
>Conjurer's Closet
>Saheeli's artistry
>Whir of Invention

Some non-infinite win conditions:
>Filigree Angel + Aetherflux Reservoir
It's suprisingly reliable.
>Sharding Sphinx + Time Sieve
It often catches people off guard.
>Cranial Plating + Loxodon Warhammer
It's so stupid that it really shouldn't work, but a lot of players miss the attach ability of Cranial Plating. I've won games by attaching it to a single unblocked copter.

Some spicy hipster tech:
>Cauldron Dance
It's nice because you've got so many ETB effects.

Veeky Forums /- better answers than reddit, slow for notburgers

Artifact Mutation can be pretty spicy in a token deck

It all depends on the power level of the set they came out with, some of tge older sets shitted out very powerful legendaries, nowdays the powerlevel is pretty low and some of the really fucking ancient legendaries were shit as well

What do you use as separators in your card boxes? I'm considering custom printing basic lands with an added bar at the top that reads something like "Blue - Sorcery - Modern", shit like that, but there has to be a less time-consuming or expensive way to do that.

>tfw Artifact Mutation on someone's Darksteel Forge while having Aura Shards on the field and exiling Forge instant speed in response to the Shards triggers

>he counters it

I use plastic ones that came with Time Spiral giftbox with a picture of a Serra Avenger. I use them only couple, because I know the whereabouts of each card I care about I have in boxes.

>What's your most underrated commander?
I feel like Sultai Sidisi is often overlooked. I mean, it's not like there are a ton of BUG commanders. Tasigur goes off with infinite mana, which is admittedly good, but if you have infinite mana winning is typically a formality, and I appreciate that Sidisi will generate more resource for typically less work in the meantime. Is Tasigur better? Probably, but I do think Brood Tyrant is underrated.

Depala is crap but I appreciate that she's a Boros commander with a better decision tree than "10 Attack; 20 Untap; 30 Goto 10". If we see more dwarves in the future, actual good ones with ETB effects we want to hit that can legitimately replace spells, she'll get better. But MaRo really doesn't like dwarves so it might be a long wait.

Make a GW hatebears deck and focus him every game. Even when he begins to whine, continue to stomp him.

>Gaddock Teeg
>Voice of Resurgence
>Herald of Gaea
>Dosan the Falling Leaf
>Carpet of Flowers
>Choke
>Cavern of Souls
>Boseiju, Who Shelters All

trying to come with some super janky deck to build around this. all i have at the moment is maybe jeleva with that artifact that returns cards from exile

UB, basically do the Sidisi Ad Naus game except you have way more tutoring and support and strip everything you don't need out of your deck with Selective before you Ad Naus rather than having ~85 Swams.

EDH is the only format worth playing.

How do other people not see this as the legitimate fact that it is?

play Cat Snek

Different folks, different tastes.

Difference between annoying and boring?

False, Pauper can be tons of fun too

Prophet of Kruphix was too much. Seedborn Muse is not.

I play in a very casual meta, up to the point where until a few months ago I won every game with black white skeleton tribal, and now that they beat that, I can mush them flat with Nath elves pretty quick. I want to build new and fun decks, but I want it to be near their power level. Oh, and they are getting tired of seeing me play black in every deck, so maybe something without black in it. With respect for their small feelings and for everyones time, anything that turns into solitare or runs infinite is also probably not on the table. Is there any fun to be had left in this world, Veeky Forums? I built a doran treefolk deck already but the boredom of "play card, turn sideways" made me retire it after 6 games.

Pic related?

EDH is the only format worth playing as long as Spikes think it's a casual format for babies. Unfortunately, as soon as the wizards sanctioned 1v1 commander gets underway, wave after wave of sperglord will kill anything worth playing in the first place. Soon we will become legacy lite: modern general 2 and no one will ever have fun again.

>What's your most underrated commander?
Well at the moment I am between decks, but I would have to say my Hope of Ghirapur deck I used to have. People knew it was artifact combo but forgot about my ability to lock someone out of the game of noncreatures and to generate a metric fuckton of energy.

Also
>Postem

Is there a way to buy like... Fake cards? I only play casually and would love to get a cheap Wheel of Fortune or Damnation, do you guys know of a way to buy cards that look and feel like the real thing?

I'd tell my friends that they weren't the real cards, they won't care.

For certain cards I recommend collectors edition versions of the cards. If not possible then sharpie on some lands bro.

Your friends will care, because you're indirectly forcing them to also buy fakes of expensive cards which will increase the power level to stupid degrees until the game isn't fun anymore.

Expensive cards are expensive because they're broken.

Is Damnation broken? Really?

I don't run overpowered shit, expensive or not. If anything I usually have the weakest decks in my group because A) I'm cheap and B) I feel guilty using shit like Sheoldred.

If wizards shits out a decent ban list where tutors and fast mana are banned it can actually turn out as a decent format desu

Do some reasearch, watch some videos of fake cards, use google, you can do it yourself user.

What does reasearch mean

Whatever you want, as long as you believe in it strong enough

>EDH is the only format worth playing casually.
Ftfy

I enjoy playing competitively, but Modern or Legacy are not as good for casual fun times. A correlary to this is that EDH is only good as a casual format. "Competitive" EDH is cancer.

Rate him

Could be neat? Seems like a bad commander though.

It's not broken, but it's still incredibly strong. Every black deck that doesn't have white in it would run it if it weren't expensive, since board wipes in black either cost 6+, are conditional or have a major downside.

Buying fakes is just a slippery slope for every deck to get shocks, then fetches, then ABUR duals, then Gaea's Cradle, Mishra's Workshop, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale etc.

Well, none of that is my plan and I know my group would not care if my goofy Wrexial cipher deck had a Damnation in it.

I'm also making a deck that is literally based around copying wheel effects, it's a mill deck, and I'm not about to drop $50 on a wheel of fortune despite the deck literally being built around it. So it'd sure be great if I could use a fake one. Those literally are the only two cards I'm looking at. Damnation is fine, I'll just use Languish and Black Sun's Zenith and Deadly Tempest, so it's fine. Wheel also has substitutes but I'd prefer to have an actual wheel of fortune because it's the purpose of the deck.

I think maybe you think too lowly of people, most human beings are the despicable disgusting trash that you're describing.

Looks fun, can you produced infect tokens in UW? Or just give him infect or other combat relevant abilities.

I was more hoping for an embalm lord ala sedris. I really hope this isn't supposed to be him.

Thanks guys, these were really helpful.

Well, there's always this

And Seance but you would need a haste outlet for it.

This seems much more like commander material then the red god

Flying.
Indestructible.
Can attack/block if 7+ cards in hand.
1 ManaBlue Mana: Draw a card & return a land to hand

>1mana blue mana
(3)(U)

3U: Draw a card and you may return a land to hand*

Finally some new tech for my Patron of the Moon deck.

Can't wait for dickheads to pretend this is an interesting deck to have/play.

>Oh no way, you play Venser's Journal? Woah. Unique play.

>4UU+creature cost
Ugh

yeah but the difference is his card actually has synergy with the commander, you utter fucking breadbin

That's not a token though, the new UW guy only buffs tokens

correction for everyone.

There is a may clause.

(3)(U) return a land you control to its owners hand, you may draw a card.

It's the other way around.

Draw a card, you may return a land you control to your hand.

What does this do, make Meren the biggest chump blocker in the deck? A 5/6 deathtoucher? Why not run G-Titan?

I dont know if I should be sad these aren't more exciting and aimed for edh players, or glad that they are simple and crappy, and aren't more aimed for edh players (wizards obviously has little idea on what they're doing, looking at you oloro and derevi)

I was honestly hoping for more EDH playable stuff.

Many of the Thero's gods are great in the 99, while a lot of them are also great commanders. I dont want to use either of amonkhets spoiled gods.

Welp, glacial chasm is an auto include

I like cat