5e Most effective builds

>Join new group
>Make a bard and roleplay hardcore instead of rollplay
>Full support, no directly offensive spells, all spells are chosen based on their potential to make bomb ass shows once adventuring is done
>Everyone starts getting pissed and fed up that I'm not being efficient with my turns and trying to get creative with mechanics instead of just attacking

>new campaign starting, want to stay in the group for another go because of some other friends
>Want to make the most mechanically broken, straight forward fighter

Any build ideas up to level 10?

How many encounters per day, and how does your DM handle surprise?

As long as you're allowed multiple rests in a day, a 5E will bend most level 10 and under content over a table. You can do some silly shit with action surge.

At least for a low level gam I used

>Human variant - Heavy armor master
>Fighter Defense fighting style
>Splint Mail(sell everything you can to afford it)
>Shield

>17+1+2=20 AC and 3damage reduction at level 1.

He has a tendency to stick to very few encounters. Either just one or several nothing-encounters where no one takes damage and everyone blows their loads anyways, and then the boss.

Heavy armor master is hilarious at level 1.
I always advise battle master for the flexibility with fighters.

Not sure I agree with the shield though. Passing up on a greatsword is a hard bargain.

It was worth the lower damage to never ever get hit.

Fighter 1/Warlock 3/Sorcerer 6 (if you can into the old Favored Soul), boost Warlock to 5 (or just go Valor Bard) if you can't, but in short grab:
>Fighter proficiencies, and a fighting style
>Warlock smites, probably the Flail, Flail+Shield looks cool
>Spell slots to burst into damage
Max Str, Cha 13, Dex and Con to whatever you can.

Or, if you want to go ranged
>2 fighting styles, archery and close quarter shooter, for that +3 to hit, you'll need Fighter 1/Ranger 2 (that can also give you more slots or some superiority dice)
>Fey Warlock Smites
>and slots to burn

and >Extra Attack
I forgot to mention, grab a fukken Extra Attack.
If you're melee, Booming Blade isn't bad either, you could do 2 attack (or twin GFB, but that costs resources), quick BB, move away.

the polearm master feat was pretty good when I played 5e.

half-orc bear totem barbarian 6/champion fighter 4 multiclass.

expanded crit range, advantage at will, resistance to all damage sans psychic, 3d12 on crits, action surge, reroll 1s and 2s for damage. might consider starting with variant human for GWM but the half orc features are fucking awesome.

>Polearm master
>Excludes Spears and Tridents
Fuck WOTC man that shit is retarded

Hey, at least you can use a quarterstaff with it.

Variant human with the Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter feats. Use the Battlemaster Precision Attack maneuver to hit while Sharpshooting (-5 hit, +10 damage) in melee with a hand crossbow while wearing a shield.

Okay, I'm not entirely sure if you can wear a shield and still load the hand crossbow, but just try to get your DM to allow it.

And that's the most disgusting combo I can think of.

U should be able to use it with a halberd or a glaive

I know that but why did they exclude spear and trident REEEEEEE

I just for once want a REEEtiarius build that's viable ;___;

if your DM isn't a total asshat you should be able to use a spear still. That's what I did

>warlock level 2 - Agonizing blast, Eldritch Spear, Hex

>Sorcerer -
> 3rd level - Quickened Spell, Twinned spell(or distant spell if you want to meme)
>4th level - Spell Sniper

At that point Eldritch blast has 1d10+ChaMod+1d6per hit if you used Hex, 600 range with Eldritch spear+Spell Sniper,(1200 if you used Distant spell)

You can even dip into fighter for action surge.

>2warlock+3sorcerer+5fighter = Action surge, quickened spell, twinned spell, extra attack.

>4 attacks on a single enemy+ another spell on someone else

Or instead of fighter you can multiclass 2 levels into rogue for cunning action. Stealth up, start casting your spells from your familiar to make sure you stay safe.

I think it probably has something to do with them being throwable, but I'm not really sure how that interacts with PAM anyway. I'm sure any sensible DM would allow you to use it with spears and tridents anyway.

>When you take the Attack action and attack with only a glaive, halberd, or quarterstaff, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage.
>While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach.
They could've just changed the wording to "and make an melee attack with[...]" and "enter your melee reach" or whatever. I guess with the way it's worded that you can throw your halberd and make an melee attack with the opposite end of it, because that makes so much sense.

If you're the type of person that likes to play support characters with a solution in their pocket for every situation I feel like you're gonna have a seizure when the DM finally does throw something that requires more thought than 'hit it' at you.

I'm the type of person that threw 10 soap bars at a corrosive slime because adding a bass to an acid cancels them out

Either Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter Battlemaster.
For GWM, you can either use polearms (and also grab PAM for the opportunity attacks and reliable bonus action) or Greatsword/Maul (for the biggest dice and maxing Str sooner).
For Sharpshooter, you also need Crossbow Expert, and a Hand Crossbow, for guaranteed bonus action attack, 120 ft range, melee shooting capability, ignoring partial cover, and that sweet power attack which is more likely to hit since the Archery fighting style boosts accuracy.
Precision Attack maneuver is vital for either to shore up your awful accuracy with the power attacks. Tripping Attack helps slows distant foes with your last crossbow shot of the turn, or is a fine damage/accuracy boost in melee. Menacing Attack is great for area control.
Depending on your short/long rest balance, playing paladin and burning all your spell slots on smites is probably better damage, if less accurate.
For the ultimate sin, have your DM let you multiclass Unearthed Arcana. Warlock 3 for Mace of Dispater, then any full caster for insane constant pseudo-smites. Valor Bard is alright, Bladesinger is brutal if your Int is good (and you could take a monk level to use your Mace with Dex), Cleric is always stronk.

Thats when a DM makes you break out a calculator and actually figure out the new [H+] values for the slime given its size and origfinal acidity.

Why playing D&D with STEM majors is terrible haha.

>Okay, I'm not entirely sure if you can wear a shield and still load the hand crossbow

RAW you can't; crossbow expert gets rid of the loading quality (which stops you from using multiattack with crossbows), but doesn't get rid of the ammunition quality (which means you need to have a free hand to reload).

I was partial of

>One level into rogue for expertise in athletics
>human variant for tavern brawler

>hit someone, bonus action grapple
>Next turn shove them to knock prone

>They now cannot do anything but try to break your +10 at level one opposed athletics role while you hit them and/or drag them around

You can also try barb for rage for advantage on opposed athletics and monk for extra attacks

Fun

V.Human Battlemaster-10 Soldier

STR 10, DEX 20, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 8

AC 17 (Studded Leather+DEX)
HP 84

FEATS/ABI: 1-Sharpshooter, 4-+2DEX, 6-+2DEX, 8-Martial Adept

Archery Fighting Style

Superiority Dice: 6

MANEUVERS (DC17): Precision Attack, Menacing Attack, Trip Attack, Pushing Attack, Parry, Riposte, Commanders Strike

Longbow +11/+11/1d8+5
Longbow+6/+6/1d8+15

Dart +11/+11/1d4+5
Dart+6/+6/1d4+15

Rapier +11/+11/1d8+5

Giant Scorpion Venom 4d10 poison, DC12 CON/half (get this from the Moon Druid casting Giant Insect).

SKILLS: Acrobatics+7, Animal Handling+7, Perception+7, Stealth+7, Survival+7

Use Trip Attack on large or smaller flying enemies to knock prone (flying creatures fall to the ground if prone or reduced to 0 Move).

Menacing Attack inflicts Frightened Condition (Disadvantage on Attack and Ability Checks, cannot move closer to source of fear.)

Commanders Strike allows the Rogue in your party to use Sneak Attack twice per round (once on their turn, once on your turn).

Parry and Riposte with Rapier if you somehow get into melee.

Take cover whenever possible. Your AC is not great.

Magic Item picks: Longbow+2, Studded Leather+2, Ring of Protection, Oathbow, Magic Arrows.

Don't forget to be Gary Oak to the Ranger's Ash Ketchum whenever possible.

>10 to athletics
You mean +3 Str, +4 Expertise? For +7? By maxing Str on a Rogue?
You NEED to take that Barbarogue for advantage.
Or just be a Bard wrestler. Expertise, Enlarge Person and other spells for advantage, your own pyrotechnics and theme song.

I'd go fighter-6 / barbarian-4 and pick up an extra feat/ABI

Polearm masters should not be able to use shields unless they use a dumb quarterstaff.