Excuse me Commissar, but why does our calendar start roughly 40,000 years ago...

Excuse me Commissar, but why does our calendar start roughly 40,000 years ago? Human history had to have gone on for longer than that, so what event could have been so important that it required us to keep that date?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Gz1PBiq-2OE?t=2m7s
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Dating_System
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The birth of the physical incarnation of a chaos god in another timeline, son. Totally not heretical.

The precursors have no sense of scale.

Why is Ben Browder the guy used for this?

Well you see Guardsman, way, way, way, way back, the Emperor tried to guide humanity in another, more hidden form.

It didn't work, but it did have a big enough impact that people thought it was important enough to change calenders.

Well what do (you) suggest we use?

Fuck off Satan.

You know, I always thought it was dubs man

Oh he's not home right now, can i take a payment in his place?

Still? You're still trying to force these gay photoshops and you're faggoty "question template"?

Eat a bag of dicks and choke on it.

Wait a minute? Are people still doing this shit?

I honestly thought the guy who was trying to force this shit died. Now I'm just left wishing he had.

>when you reply to the OP but the poster count doesn't change

>12 posts
>11 posters
ha. hm...

No. Human history starts forty thousand years ago. Before then we didn't exist, we're a very young species. They go over this in elementary school, private. I know that many of our guardsmen didn't have access to higher education before joining the service, but to have none at all? We have a program for adult education that we could have provided you if you had just asked, you don't have to suffer in silence.

Fuck off with your bullshit chatter.

Did you just question me Guardsman?

It's something to do with the Emperor obviously, now hold still.

*BLAM*

youtu.be/Gz1PBiq-2OE?t=2m7s

I do not understand why some people get so mad st these threads

A guardsman asking a question that isn't "Should we afix bayonets?" Or "Can I die now, Sir?"

Heresy

40k calendar doesnt start at 0 AD. It starts at 10k BC. They use the holocene calendar.

I don't understand why the madfags don't just hide these threads instead of spending their time posting in them.

thanks man

Because the majority of people do. Most people filter and ignore these threads. But, there are just so many people that hate it when idiots try to force memes, that expecting of few of them to not go in and say "Fuck you" is just not understanding probability.

You're looking at the few outliers who are fed up enough, because they've seen you try, again and again and again and again, to get this forced meme to be anything more than an example of how awful forced memes can be, and they simply want to tell you that you only are making your "legacy" more pathetic by still trying after all these failed years.

It's about time you gave up on this sunk cost fallacy, because no matter how many months or years you wait, people will recognize and hate you for trying to force this here.

Fuck off Slaanesh

If you don't "understand", read and pay attention to his points about retards still trying to force failed memes years after the fact.

And, yes, I used to hide these threads back when assholes like the OP posted a half dozen of them on Veeky Forums at any given time. Nowadays, however, we get maybe one every two weeks thanks to fuck heads like the OP.

only proper answer

All these other Commissars are probably heretics

Because we were there, so we should remember it.

I agree.

It was the only one we could agree on when making the calendars. After that, no-one wanted that have the times erased, understandably. Mortgages would default. Loans would vanish. How would you know how old that wine was? Or that medicine? School reunions? It's hard enough trying to get things done, we didn't need the paperwork to start invalidating itself.

Each planet has a different local calender set by whatever vagaries of orbit, rotation, and seasonal/logistical variations are appropriate or traditional. On agriworlds this will will likely be based on growing seasons, whereas forgeworlds might use maintenance schedules. Almost all planets set year 0 to the year of colonisation.

The Imperium as a whole then uses the same time/calender as the capital Holy Terra, whose history and importance eclipses all others. This is adjusted when necessary, as the distortions of the warp prevent 100% accurate timekeeping from system to system, or even been entirely certain which of two events occurred first. (See Check Number in Imperial Dating below.)

No-one knows for certain what events transpired so long ago on Terra the calender was set to it, other than the Emperor himself. Some sects suggest it marks the His birth, but as most large of the Ecclesiarchy understand that He is immortal and eternal this is generally considered a (lesser) heresy. More likely it was some other momentous event, such as the revelation of the secrets of Warp travel by the Emperor-as-Omnissiah to his faithful servants.

Of course, if you have an idea for a better system (along with a method for implementing it galaxy-wide and updating all records accumulated for the last 10,000 years without impeding the galactic war-effort) you are welcome to submit one to the appropriate Administratum body for review. I'm sure they'll get back to you in a few centuries.

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Dating_System

When the Emperor forged a united Terra, he asked his scribes and scholars what year it was.

They each returned with a different answer. Some tried to flatter his ego, by proclaiming it was year 1 of his new reign, but the Emperor would not be flattered.
In the end, a single scholar dug out the earliest document they could find in all the Libraries on Terra, was a record of a pacification war in Jermani by a general. The Emperor smiled that this was remembered, and declared that this would be Year 1. His scientists determined that this scrap of vegetable matter dated back nearly thirty thousand years, and so they declared that Terra was finally unified in the 28th Millennium.

This along with any old meme is like making a Monty Python reference. Sure, you MIGHT not get lynched for it now, but it still annoys people who remember the unrelenting tide.

No. This is the sort of shit where it's clear that the only cure for this faggot is likely death, since he''s had years to wise up and give up and simply hasn't.

Lynching is more than appropriate.

I agree.