EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

"Oh, sorry about that tutor you played" edition

PREVIOUSLY ON /edh/:
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Plan on using anything in Amonkhet?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-lich-king-and-master-of-zombies/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?sort=cmc-&color= @([U]|[G])
m.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_qmKcw-LY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

YOU BITCH I was literally about to post a new thread, but it's alright, you're a cool guy.

Also:
>tfw you hit Dragon Mage out of someone's deck with your Lazav-jank-o-tron

People playing shit decks and then taking about powerlevels ruin Magic.

>Plan on using anything in Amonkhet?
So far? BG infect -1/-1 counter tribal is looking nice, but nothing for my existing decks

>people who use tiers to justify their Magic ability ruin Magic
Fixed that for you

>people who play Magic ruin Magic
There, fixed it for you too. No one gets this right anymore.

> Lazav as a dragon mage clone

Top wew that's spicy

Black enchantment that gives you scarabs looks really fun.

>people who use tiers to justify their Magic ability ruin Magic
These are unrelated concepts, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

>play Liliana
>turn takes forever
>no combos
>just have to be careful with interactions and timing
>also have to tutor for the correct answer to threats
>tfw people hate me

I'm sorry I'm not just tutoring for the same card every game and actually have to think about what I'm doing.

>Black enchantment that gives you scarabs looks really fun.
Yeah, that got me started. Goes infinite with Blowfly Infestation and Flourishing Defenses and with black you can have a nice tutor package, transmute if nothing else.

Not sure who right now commands BG counters.dec though. Nath?

>uninteractive black deck
>you guys just understand how complicated my color that can literally only do graveyard things is

>uninteractive

Farm from it, man. I make sure to have answers where and when I can because I play the long game.

>Someone plays an enchantment

i run scour from existence
other run karn

>I run a one-of seven drop removal spell
Jesus.

>O-stone
>Ugin
>Kharn
>scour
>discard effects
>Praetor's grasp
>Bitter Ordeal
>other players

If I need to deal with it, there's a good chance someone else does, too, so I let them. I run a very discard heavy deck and frequently force players into top deck mode because of Lili's +2. It also depends on the enchantment. For example, I answered a Necropotence for 20 with a Mindslicer.

Not that guy but running black takes what it can gets.

I have a Mono-B Geth killspells.dec deck and it struggles with enchantments.

>Opponent unassailable by his creatures
>Grafdigger's Cage prevents me from just reanimate milling him out
>Sitting on a Crypt Ghast, two cabal coffers and a Nirkana Revenant.
>Last ditch effort is casting Curse of the Cabal, popping elixir, tutoring for it and doing it again.
>Literally the only way I can deal with that
>If he had Leyline of Sanctity I'd be fucked

If you say a black deck has reliable enchanment removal they're lying for the most part. They have it, sure. But sure as hell isn't reliable.

Any tips on how to quickly get lands on my hand/ battlefield in mono B ?

I want to get my old Ob Nixilis, the Fallen commander back to use.

>I rely on others to have answers
>except I force them to discard their hand so they have no answers
Enjoy the Food Chain.

Ah, Theory: The Gathering.

Well, in that case I always have a counterspell.

Or perhaps, I've already won.

I really don't like your attitude, the guy has a deck and a playgroup so he would know if the deck had some fatal flaw that prevented it from ever winning, you're just doing theorycraft to justify your preconceived conclusion that mono black decks aren't interactive

Actually if you're trying to mill Grafdigger's Cage upgrades your deck because you can just repeatedly target and resolve the ability on the same card.

Are you retarded?

>Creature cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or libraries.

He had no artifacts in his graveyard. Fuck's sake user.

>Turn 1 Grafdigger's Cage
>Mono-B killspells.dec
>Expecting spot artifact removal
>Geth costs 4BB

I don't give a fuck what you like.

Black has issues interacting with artifacts, enchantments, instants, sorceries, wide boards, and their main strategies can be easily hated out by cards like RiP.

People probably hate the user because he plays crap that although it can be easily shut down with a single tutor, there's no interesting way to push against dumb graveyard shenanigans while letting that player stay in the game. Then he slows the game to a crawl with discard shenanigans and tutors.

Oh sorry I didn't know Grafdigger's Cage read "If an ability would have a creature enter the battlefield from a graveyard, counter that ability."

Oh wait it doesn't.

Oh, I see what you're saying.

Could've been less rude about it though. Jeez.

Just hold on a moment, what benefit is there to readers of this post? Are you trying to make the original Liliana player feel bad? What purpose does this post serve? It seems like you're just spreading bad vibes because you're a bad person

Burnish Hart, Terrain Generator, Esper Panorama, Evolving Wilds, Ghost Quarter, Grixis Panorama,Myriad Landscape, Terramorphic Expanse, Warped Landscape,Drownyard Temple, Ghost Town.

No one cares when you offer polite criticism.

That guy has been making sure no fun is ever had in edhgenerals for a while now.

Fetch lands and Myriad landscape
Burnished Hart
Walking Atlas

>TFW your Dragon Mage was copied and passed around so many times you've only got three cards left in your deck but you've built up so many zombies from Want Not you win anyways

I'm replying to this shitty blogpost about how cruel his playgroup is for not wanting to play against his uninteractive no-wincon mass discard deck with multiple tutors in it because it probably drags games on for hours.

Beseech the Queen. Good stuff. I also suggest running a Thespian's Stage if you have fancy lands that you would like to have two of. People always forget it.

I have two full pages full of these suckers. Not to mention they're in like half of my decks. So helpful.

amonkhet seems underwhelming so far.

maybe one of the gods we haven't seen yet if they're any good, but the blue and red ones seem kinda uninteresting.

The blue one makes the red one look interesting. I'd like to figure out some way to exploit the land bounce.

it's giving me some serious kamigawa moonfolk vibes

Land Equilibrium obviously.

Hopefully we get a multicolored brown waifu legend out of it. But yeah, disappointing so far.

They do seem to be designed more for standard more than edh, compared to the theros gods anyway

The blue one's land bounce is cute though, hopefully the other colors are more interesting

with the theros gods, most of the time you'd want a deck that was themed around just one of them to get the devotion up and running. i think the amonkhet gods are supposed to function well with multiple in the same deck. i wouldn't be surprised if a duo of ally-colored gods had conditions and abilities that function well together.

Looking for some advice on a Sidisi deck I'm building. Could any fa/tg/uys help a brotha out?

Which Sidisi?

sultai sidisi: mill yourself and have light zombie tribal

mono-b sidisi: tutor for combos/artifact aetherflux storm

or do something wacky, they're both really good and pretty versatile

Yeah, read the OP and follow the links to get recommendations on popular cards and manabase.

Woops, forgot to link my list.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-lich-king-and-master-of-zombies/

>dumb zombie tribal
>feat. Archaeomancr
>with only four instants and ten sorceries

stop larping as the /edhg/ post monitor faggot

not the builder of the deck, but i imagine the thought process was "gets back living death after a massive reanimation"

corpse connoisseur, twisted abomination, unholy grotto, attrition, mind slash, GRAVEBORN MUSE, gravecrawler, oversold cemetery, fleshbag maurader, grave titan, gray merhcant of asphodel, kalitas traitor of ghet, relentless dead, painful quandry, oppression, bottomless pit, necrogen mists, waste not, Urborg Tomb of Yawgamoth + Filth

There are less dumb ways of doing that.

tutors are pretty good. you can run mystical tutor and demonic tutor for traumatize and living death.

All right, /edhg/. I need your help.

I am building a Kruphix deck that is filled with the stupidest, biggest, most mana-intensive cards. What are your suggestions?

greenwarden of murasa is a pet card of mine. it would go well in the deck i think.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?sort=cmc-&color= @([U]|[G])

Searching Cockatrice for cards CMC10 or higher (up to 20) and in your colors. Noteworthy items:
Time Stretch, Omniscience, Eternal Dominion, Worldspine Wurm, Krosan Cloudscraper (pretty dumb), Enter the Infinite, Sway of the Stars, Primal Surge.

It's self evident in your explanation. People often talk about tiers to sound knowledgeable instead of actually playing magic, and it's extra insufferable on the internet when it's all hypothetical imaginary cardboard. Not to say all discussion is like that, but people in that niche are truly worse than Hitler.

why not just play jhoira?

X-spells and big green

Or just E. Wit, Skullwinder, Regrowth, Nostalgic Dreams.

You know, the normal things.

eternal witness was already in his list. skullwinder is pretty neat too, though.

Expropriate, tooth and nail, eldrazi, enter the infinite, omniscience, worldspine wurm, rite of replication, Vorinclex, Jin gitaxias

And then you have X spells, Genesis wave, blue sun's zenith, curse of the swine, gelatinous Genesis, distorting wake and so on

Regrowth and nostalgic dreams don't combo with living death like archaeomancer does

You don't need a high number of instants and sorceries for achaeomancer to be good, just important instants and sorceries such as reanimate and living death

still though, nostalgic dreams and regrowth would be pretty good in the deck.

They're indispensable in any combo deck, Archaeomancer is a bad four drop.

Isn't Sway of the Stars banned?

I agree, I didn't mean to say they were bad choices, I'm just defending archaeomancer

Archaeomancer is fantastic friendo, one of the best blue creatures

The fick you smoking? Archeomancer is probably best at what it does.

Well I mean it's clearly worse than eternal witness but I still think it's great, the main advantage over Regrowth/nostalgic dreams is that it's cloneable, flickerable, and sac/reanimate able

In some decks that makes it way better, other decks will just want the mana efficiency of Regrowth

How big are we talking?

myojin of life's web, worldspine wurm, archetype of endurance, genesis wave, hurricane, etc.

thanks for the helpfull suggestions
will definitely add some of that cards to my list.

Having trouble deciding between my next Commander. Options are as follows:

Jhoira with standard big fatties and Izzet spell funtimes
Lazav Mill to have a little more politics and fun at the table instead of bringing a competitive dick-beat deck.
Or Meren, to bring that competitive dickbeating with Renimation and forced sacrifice shenanigans.

No infinite combo doesn't mean no wincon, champ. My wincon is play the long game until I hit an emblem, after which point the game quickly swings in my favor. I've won many games, and I'm not calling them cruel. However, most of the time I need to be careful about my plays because I can't over extend my graveyard due to potential hate unless I know I can remove it early.

If someone has 2 answers in their hand, and I force them to discard one, they have to think about how much they want to destroy my shit vs holding it for the inevitable food chain. My deck is set up in such a way that it rarely hurts when I lose something.

Theorycfafting sure, but also experience. I'm also not saying I always have an answer, but my commander does force difficult choices once I start using her discard.

Not really a fan of jhoira, suspend doesn't interest me. Both those other ideas sound cool though

>Lazav
Pros:
-hexproof commanders are fun, nice to be able to rely on them to a greater extent
-Lazav makes good use of mill, and has good colors for more usage of mill with stuff like reanimate/animate dead to make milling your opponents into a form of card advantage for your deck. This is a way of avoiding the main issue of mill which is that it tends to benefit your opponents to fill their gy, and actually milling everybody to death isn't a realistic strategy. Milling some good cretaures and stealing those creatures IS a workable strategy though
Cons
-his mana cost is actually a severe drawback, sol ring and mana crypt can't help you with it, any inconsitency in your mana can really slow you down
-even with a proactive plan, mill can still be really bad, especially against a daretti deck or a meren deck

>meren
Pros
-value so hard, lots of easy combos like meren + Sakura tribe elder and meren + Shriekmaw
-well rounded color combo in terms of removal, ramp, card draw, and recursion
Cons
-gy hate is a bitch

"i swing with scion, paying two mana to make it nicol bolas. discard your hand.

i swing with scion, paying two mana to make it dragon tyrant, pump it once. 21 commander damage.

hey man, thanks for helping me test my 5-color good stuff 1v1 commander deck."

Probably. Didn't check for that.

That seems like a fun commander, except for all the awkward shuffling you'd have to do.

Which commander best represents Broly?

What an easy question.

>my wincon is a planeswalker ult
Veeky Forums everyone.

user that's clearly Nappa

You'd be surprised how often it happens, especially once the grind has begun.

>What are your suggestions?
Mentally preparing Yourself to lose and lose often
But also Hydra omnivore and pump spells

>1v1 commander deck
>Commander damage
>Falling victim to this incredibly bad strat
I don't think the problem is your friend, friend.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_qmKcw-LY
Sounds like some shit the professor would make
God damn this deck tech is absolutely atrocious!

>You'd be surprised how often it happens when everyone else is playing goat tribal

Is multiplayer EDH the worst format ever created?

It certainly has the worst general thread

yeah these people are garbage scrubs. it's kind of embarrassing honestly. how do you think this much about a game and still be bad at it? Sad!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, without running things like Tormad's or Bojuka bog, filling a lot of different commander's decks can be really bad, I'm on the fence about making it because I already have a dick-beating deck with Oona, and this would form a nice middle ground to run some 'Will of the council' cards, or in general politicking about the table instead of Comboing with Oona, or smashing faces with Rakdos.

Best I could do
Admittedly not that great
Maybe trunks

I'm pretty sure Frontier is the worst format.

that doesn't count, I mean formats that people actually play

I have a lot of fun whenever I play frontier, I enjoy it more than standard or modern

I was thinking more of assholes like you

Yes it's a format designed for fun which puts it in stark contrast with magic itself
Thankfully doomsday, hermit druid and food chain desks all keep those shitty casuals in check.

There's the entire rest of the internet to be your hugbox.

I understand, but I rarely go on this board or spend any time in this general.

I don't even mind casuals, it's more that the format takes so goddamn long and there's so much to keep track of. Nobody in my playgroup will stay focused because they play cards like Hive Mind (without winning the game) that just cause stupid shit to happen.