I don't know what I'm doing edition.

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

I think the name of, "Familiar Subject" would be a lot better. Maybe make it just UU also.

Just some mana rocks for EDH

Why not Scale-o?

I agree with the other guy on the lower mana cost. That said I really like how it bounces itself if you're right, although I almost think it would be cooler if it bounced itself when you guessed wrong. Don't know how you would cost it then.

I normally don't like when custom cards introduce new noncreature subtypes, but this is cute. Potentially too narrow, but cool.

Simplistic and nicely costed.

If it bounced itself only if you guessed wrong?
{U} and it'd need another upside or it'd be overcosted.

If it bounced itself no matter if you guessed right or wrong?
I'd ballpark it at 3U. That's about what I'd expect repeatable card draw to cost on a permanent, and this is better since it's an instant but worse since it's conditional on not screwing up.

Over costed. This could be UBB. It's esentially a mass bounce spell that hits everything but is super flexible.

I couldn't think of a name or picture, I just want Karn back damnit.

Hi Veeky Forums, first time posting here.
I'm posting from mobile and I recently discovered these threads. I apologize for my English and my lack of knowledge of the new wording and such.
Well, I'm here, critics and suggestion are welcomed.
First card done with the tool.

Welcome and have a nice stay

>Card
Escalate is a modal spell keyword, look up Strive instead
No capital to creature
The second effect needs rewording but I can't tell you what would be the correct one

Thanks, I modified the ability to Strive (always for 1G) and removed the capital.
Here's another two cards that I really like.
As always, critics welcome.
1/2

2/2

I'm not completely sure about that but even if the card name is plural, it is considered singular when referenced in the rule text, so it should be "is equipped or enchanted"

Can you explain more what you want to do with the activated ability?

Also, hybrid Mana cost are pretty hard to use, keep your hands of those if you just started (or check the thread OP pic)

Check similar cards on magiccards for the wording on this one
Clarify your restrictions in your head
And again, no capital letters on card types

You might want to make the wording more clear here. What about this?

Gain control of target non-legendary artifact, target enchantment, or target non-basic land. That permanent's controller may discard a card at random or pay {3} to counter Sneaky Transactions.

As always, thanks.
Ill remove the capital from the Red one.

For the cards:

Inquisitors: you suggest doing WW instead of the hybrids? Or WB? What I mean, its pretty simple.
If I have a creature that is equipped with some artifact or enchanted it for boosting it, I can move one or the latter to that creature to the Inquisitors.

Sneaky Transactions:
Better writing "a non-legendary, non-creature permanent"?

I don't play MtG since Lorwynn... I found this thread and the nostalgia took over me... so...yes, if you have some ideas, I'm here! If I don't work, ahah.

>you suggest doing WW instead of the hybrids? Or WB?
Well, you are in a pretty weird case
Moving Auras or Equipments around is White or Red
But since the flavor hints to stealing the object from someone else, Black works too but I can't think of an existing black card moving auras/equipments around

An ability with an hybrid cost must me doable in each color alone. Your ability is White mechanically but also Black from a flavor standpoint. I'd leave it like this, since it's the "less wrong" solution
Also, the ability should probably read "Attach target aura or equipment attached to a creature you control to ~"

>Better writing "a non-legendary, non-creature permanent"?
Yes, that's better

Done.
I did the modifications suggested. Thanks!
I'll leave now, but, before that, here's another card:
As usual, critics and advices welcome!

This one is pretty well written
Charge counters on a non-artifact feel weird though, change it for something else? Sanity counters?
Also, I'm not than on the "may" after a countdown, why do a countdown at all? I'd force the "transformation" if I were you

Done.
I modified them from charge to egg counters and forced the sacrifice.

Here, have a classic and see you another time!

This is the art from Master Biomancer

I tried making a planeswalker, but I think it ended up too strong, how do I unfuck it?

"Strive {1}}{G}
Put a -1/-1 counter on any number of target creatures that attacked this turn. Whenever one of those creatures dies this turn, you may pay {W}. If you do, gain 1 life."

IMO, it's second ability should be a +1 (and it's top ability), while the current first ability should lose the "gain loyalty" bit and just be a straight -X. Of course, then you have the issue of a straight up, non-conditional kill effect on a mono-green card. Perhaps consider making it 2GB for the mana cost?

Gauging a mechanic.

Flavor doesn't pop to me.
I can't tell by looking if bounty is supposed to be "Go shank that guy, he messed with us", "Go get that guy, he broke the law", or "Will pay money for that guy's head because fuck him".

Depends on what the color of the card wants. For white, it would be "Go get that guy, he broke the law" and for black or red, it would be more like "Will pay money for that guy's head because fuck him".

I would use the exile transform from the flip-walkers instead of preventing the damage. So, "Whenever combat damage is dealt to @, exile it, then return it to the battlefield transformed under its owner's control." About the same effect but feels more interactive to me.

That could work, yeah.

It's got toughness 1, though. It'd just die unless pumped.

Maybe, but I wanted it to be a "winner eats the loser", food chain kinda theme.
I might make the -2 a -1 or 0 though.

I want the -X to stay because it's interesting, and would be neat.
Not really any other reason, but it limits their -6, considering they come in on 4 and otherwise it would be a "I have the field, so I win" card.

>add to hand
Have you ever played this game before?

Nah, the effect is applied before damage kills it. Damage goes 1.deal damage 2.resolve effects 3.resolve damage

Wrong, damage doesn't use the stack, it just happens. Anything with damage >= toughness dies as a state based action. That triggered ability would be totally meaningless. Learn the basics of the rules before you make cards.

You're completely fucking wrong. First, damage doesn't resolve. It just happens when it's dealt.
And there's no way ANYTHING can resolve before SBAs.

If, not whenever.

Okay, I am probably wrong; but then can you explain rule 119.4 to me because I'm obviously missing something.

119.4. Damage is processed in a three-part sequence.

119.4a First, damage is dealt, as modified by replacement and prevention effects that interact with damage. (See rule 614, “Replacement Effects,” and rule 615, “Prevention Effects.”) Abilities that trigger when damage is dealt trigger now and wait to be put on the stack.
119.4b Next, damage that’s been dealt is processed into its results, as modified by replacement effects that interact with those results (such as life loss or counters).
119.4c Finally, the damage event occurs.

You're not missing anything. That's what happens when damage is dealt. In step one prevention and "if damage would be dealt" replacement effects happen, in step two the rest of the replacement effects happen (like infect or wither), and in step three the damage happens.
So let's say that card happens as written. The guy is dealt damage, and the trigger goes on the stack. Any time a player would receive priority though, state based actions are checked. Any creature that has damage equal to its toughness dies as a state based effect. So the guy would die before the trigger resolved, and there's nothing anyone could do about it.

Sure, that's easy.

119.4a: First, hand out damage. Say "This will be yours". Triggers say "WOO" and get ready to go on the stack.
119.4b: Replacement effects do things to this initial assignment. Things like Infect saying "Deal that as poison counters" or Furnace of Rath saying "DOUBLE THAT!"
119.4c: Now that replacement effects have happened, the damage is dealt.
Shortly later: Triggers go on the stack, SBAs are checked, anything with lethal damage marked dies, and a player gets a chance to do something.

Basically, 119.4 defines how damage interacts with and is able to be impacted by replacement effects.

He's thinking that "Abilities that trigger when damage is dealt trigger now" means that they resolve at that time.

Okay, thanks, I was assuming that because it went on the stack it would resolve before the next step started.

Nitpick: "Whenever" indicates a triggered ability. Should be "if."

Flavorwise, if you mean to indicate that Sagia is dying, try "When ~ dies, return it to the battlefield transformed."

Has anyone made some sort of table that has estimated costs for different card mechanics?

I.e.
1 targeted damage costs half a mana,
or
adding life-link to a creature costs 1 mana.

You really can't just make a formula. If you tried to make a formula, you could argue that if I pay RR for a removal spell, I should be getting 6 damage because 1 bolt is R and gets me 3 damage, but obviously that's way too much damage per mana. The same is true for keywords. a 1/1 with vigilance can be just W to cast but a 4/4 with vigilance is going to be like 4W.

Hopping in here late, but wouldn't the triggered ability still occur from the yard? I mean, it doesn't say to put it to exile only if it remains on the battlefield after taking damage.

Should probably make sure you can only activate the first ability on your turn.

Yeah. It wouldn't be fair otherwise. Consider it done.

It doesn't say to exile it at all.
And you can't transform a card that's not on the battlefield.

"Whenever combat damage is dealt to @, exile it, then return it to the battlefield transformed under its owner's control."

RTFC

RTFP

Here, I'll even link it for you.

I went ahead and made a formula for creatures and with the exception of some mythic rares it seems to be working pretty well.

I'll try and do spells next.

Hi guys, here, with a new card.
I'm focusing on white and black, the main color of the Tbar'jun Inquisition and Council.
Think of it like a fusion of Dimir/Orzhov/Azorius guilds but with a decise mark on White color.
Not only they make the laws, but they know perfectly how to break them without consequences (hence the Black), but also they're in contact with powerful Auramancers and Magic Artisans (here goes the blUe).

So here's the card, as usual, c&c welcome.