Useless/neat magic items thread

All right Veeky Forums, hit me up with all your dumb, useless and/or funny magical items.

So far I've given my one of my players a magical ring, which he hasn't worn yet, because he doesn't know what does it do.

The magical effect is that the ring will just slip off your finger on it's own if you wear it.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-arcane-signets/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

interesting pic. looks like mosin nagants cut down for use as silenced pistols, but surely they would need just a teeny tiny bit of stock to hold them by? wtf.

Those are grenade launchers I think

Nah. They have a bolt and casing ejection port. Looks like those mosin pistol mods with a big ass gas can suppressor, and no grip or stock for... Reasons

we had a party member try to use the ring of arcane signets whenever he had the chance
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-arcane-signets/
its literally just a generic signet ring, like the ones the old lords used to mark their wax stamps on envelopes
he was the member of some royal family and thought he could use it if we ever needed to forge letters.
even though my character had such a high linguistics score I could forge letters with guaranteed success.

>nuggets

Clearly obrez'd Lee-Enfields of one type or another. They're Rifle Grenade launching cups.

Amulet of uncursing.

Anyone who wears or is in contact with the amulet will immediately know it is uncursed, and will insist to other people that it is uncursed. This is a compulsion effect that causes them to think this, when in reality the amulet has a curse that makes people tell other people it is uncursed when referring to it.

Using detect curse on the amulet makes it ping as "uncursed" rather than "has a curse".

Otherwise, it has no negative effects, and can be taken off freely.

I'm just citing what user on /k/ said in thread when I saved that pic, it's simply a severely cut down nugget to be used the same as rifle grenade launchers

Hmm. Interesting. Any idea why there's no easy way to hold it, ie. No stock?

Nope, sorry, the thread happened a couple months back, but that user did have some info about them, shame I don't remember it.
My best guess would be holding it by the large tube with 1 hand, and pulling the trigger with another, or using an array of those as improvised vehicle based smoke launchers

Orb of Slope Detection:
Determines if a surface it is placed on is sloped.

Wand of Location:
Locates whatever it is pointed at.

Ring of Invisibility:
Ring turns invisible when worn.

The scabbard of slight blunting.

>Wand of Location:
>Locates whatever it is pointed at.

That could be neat, if you were fighting, say, an invisible enemy. Just point the wand in various directions until you locate them.

It looks like a jawa blaster sans stock

trumpet of invisibility?
it does make you invisible but only when you're playing it

>Hmm. Interesting. Any idea why there's no easy way to hold it, ie. No stock?

My immediate guess is that you're planting the end in the ground rather than holding on to it and use them for indirect fire but that honestly sounds stupid even as I'm writing it. Still my best guess though.

>indirect fire
You're onto something. Maybe instead of silencers those are grenade tubes, and they're improvised mortars.

They were mounted on vehicles, usually armored cars and such, and fired smoke grenades

Are the triggers rigged up to Bicycle brakes?

I'm sure it's a dedicated device but it probably operates on the same principle

Just a guess: You don't.

It is a tripwire trap; attach a wire to the trigger so that when the wire is tugged the triggers gets pulled, cue whoever getting stepped on the wire gets a grenade launched in their direction.

The stock and most of the barrel has been cut off so that it can fit into small spaces.

Not to mention they also lack most of the sights, including front sight while the cup block any remnants of the rare sights.

>the rare sights
Derp'd, the REAR sights.

See

Here's a few we've used recently

> Breaker Blade
A blade that can shatter almost any other weapon it comes into contact with, with the catch being that if it's out at rest the blade itself shatters, basically it's a temp item that lets the person wielding it go ham for a bit till they inevitably put it down where it will then break. I usually put it floating in a pool of water or suspended in some magic case

> Heelturn boots
The soles of the boots shift to either make it look like your walking the other direction, have no footprints at all, or make you walk silently/loudly. The catch being you don't really have much control over what the boots decide to do, so your boots could start making cat noises with each step at any point

> BOOMerang
It's a boomerang that explodes with a large non-fire force explosion wherever it lands/hits. So it's a matter of NOT wanting it to come back

> Knuckledust Ring
A ring that can expand into multiple rings, creating something of a pseudo fist weapon. Counts as a hidden weapon

> Bitebag
A mimic in the shape of a small bag, it'll bite fingers/hands near clean off. Though if you feed it enough it'll regurgitate some nice items n gold

I like these.

These are smoke dischargers from WW2 era British tanks. They're made from Lee Enfield Rifles cut down to be just the action and trigger group, then fitted with cup grenade launchers, loaded with smoke canisters and blanks, and fixed to the hull.

A golden gauntlet that when put on fills the wearer with an intense pride in his species and grants different abilities/bonuses depending on the wearers race. It is rumored that if the entire syit were to be worn the owner would become a god among men.

or a god OF men

I've used the bitebag in my current game, it turned out to be the main baddie of the campaign.

jesus christ - those are enfield rifles modified to fire rifle grenades out of tubes

Endless Tome

A big book of empty pages that can only be opened in the middle. Trying to open any other page first results in failure as they appear to be immovably stuck together. But once the book is opened in the middle, you can turn pages forward and backward, one at a time. Endlessly. No matter how many pages you turn, the remaining pages in that direction don't seem to diminish.

At the bottom of each page is a long row of arcane symbols that uniquely encode specific pages. Concentrating on imagining one such sequence while turning a page lets you open that page directly, no matter where you were before.

Lots of hidden secrets and random trivia has been scribbled in it across the ages, some of which the reader may stumble across at random. But for specific information, you usually need to know the page code beforehand.

That sounds pretty useful, actually. Just make sure to put a table of contents on a page with an easy to remember symbol, and you're all set.

>Amulet of the Endless Dungeon
It's an amulet that when set upon the floor and the command word spoken springs forth and creates an archway into a dungeon. The dungeon is filled with treasure and monsters of all sorts, but it has no apparent end. Depending on where the party activates the item will determine where the archway will appear between worlds. Like bags of holding, bringing extradimensional storage into it is banned. Any kind of planar-travel will lead to the enterance to the area.

OK. A third of the book is filled with horrible mlp fanfiction. What now?

>I don't know what a rifle grenade is

>>Bag of Timelessness

when an item is placed in this bag, time ceases to pass for that object until it's removed from the bag again. The bag only has about quarter of a cubic foot of space, and can't hold more than about 2 pounds of material. when found, it probably has someone's lunch in it, which is perfectly preserved.

1/3 of infinity is still infinity. that's a lot of pony fanfic.

the RPG Talislanta has a rule where no one can carry more then 7 magic items. If you have more then 7 they all quit working, so my players encountered a pickpocket who would slip enchanted coins onto them.

The coins were enchanted just to register as non-magical on a sense magic check, but had no other effect. But if you already had 7 magic items on you, they all quit working at once. Including a coin that looks just like all the rest of your money.

bump

>The Whiching Blade
Every time it's drawn from it's rather heavy scabbard, the blade becomes a different sword, dagger, or polearm. I got a potato peeler on my first try.

>The Eye of Anguish
A glass eye in a leather strap that can be either worn or strapped to something, like a shield. When directly facing an enemy, the Eye peers deep into their mind, and whispers very minor annoyances into their thoughts. "You missed one of your belt loops"

>Sigvald's Grasping Claws
Sort of like LoZ's hookshot, except that the claws are animated, and will always search for the best possible grip, even when you are currently hanging from them.

The Eye sounds like a great instrument against an OCD villain though.

Yeah, we strapped it to our paladin's shield and used it to sneak by a bunch of goblins.

All three of our magic items are pretty damn good when used correctly.

I lol'd.
Will definitely use these at some point.

Ring of Echolocation: Allows the wearer to locate echoey places.

Escape Rope: Magical rope that confers bonuses to attempts to tie it into a noose.

Periapt of Heath: Gives the wearer supernatural ability in locating large stretches of uncultivated scrubland.

>>The Whiching Blade
got a table for that or just roll anything from the book?

>Potato peeler
I'd make some big ass table for that shit

well it definitely has potential
I mean let's say there are three categories
-useless
-regular
-magic
how would the player know what he got though? I'm thinking of a way that isn't just flat out telling him (like when it comes to getting a magic item over a regular one)

if it's just like +1 one or something like that, take a note of it but maybe don't tell him unless he passes a roll. If it's on fire well he should be able to figure that out on his own

What are those even? In the pic, that is.

The Secret club
more effective when used against people that don't know it exists

>A ring that can expand into multiple rings, creating something of a pseudo fist weapon. Counts as a hidden weapon

Lol we had a similar "magic" weapon in Rogue Trader for our BEEP BOOP KILL 'EM ALL Explorator.

>Lost Gauntlets of Archmagos Kytanior
These archaeotech guantlets can replace the hands and wrists of any Human character with a Potential Coil. They can replicate up 2kgs of material - capable of being held in the hand itself - into the exact same form, but made of an entirely different element at the players choosing (i.e. turning a plastic token into a platinum token). It can make a total of 10kgs of material per hour for standard materials, while more rare or complex materials are replicated at much slower rates, at a minimum of 2kgs/12hours (or GM's discretion). Attempting to override its safety features and produce more material at a faster rate will drain the potential coil too quickly, and can injure or even kill the player as the gauntlets draw upon the wielder itself to fulfill its requests.

The catch is that it can only replicate matter in EXACTLY the same physical form it was previously in - it cannot change shape, only composition. This means that the only way to make a steel key from dirt is to shape the dirt into the shape of the key you need first.

Other items from that group was a Leman Russ tank that automatically and without question would fire upon a symbol of Chaos Undivided Which sabatuers onboard the ship used to great effect in tricking the tank into going on a ship-crippling rampage of righteous fury, an ogryns "thinkin' cap" that turned out to be a mini-Halo Artifact with predictable results and an STC fragment written completely in Cajun French The party could not translate it, and only got a Frigate from the Forge World they dropped it at instead of a Grand Cruiser they would have otherwise gotten

The Sword of Deception

The pommel, handle, and hilt of a sword that fits neatly into a matching but empty scabbard.

Toothed knuckles

Adds bite damage to your nonlethal attacks.

The knuckles are living, and the teeth fall out often. You'll need to supply it a steady supply of teeth, fangs, or tusks to integrate or it dies.

Found a couple of these, should be good.

A jar of ghost honey. Incredibly delicious smelling honey that is unfortunately intangible. Summons ghost bees if spilled

Now THERE'S one for breaking the tension in dramatic scenes. "I challenge you to a duel, you scoundrel! Custom dictates you pick the weapons!" "...KNIFEY-ARMED-ARMS!"

They were used in a vehicles mounted to the armor.

Later designs would use a 2 inch mortar, see pic.

>everburning incense
A stick of incense that produces a smokeless odor which can fill a 25 foot radius with a faint but pleasant smell. It produces no heat and very faint light, and never goes out.

The Map of Eternal Adventure:

Every time you look at the map, you become completely lost. No idea where you are. Good thing you're looking at a map!

Every time you look away from the map, you forget what you saw on the map, but you still have a lingering vague sense of where to go.

No one knows what the map actually shows, what the reader actually reads, or how it manages to be specific enough for the reader to know the next 5 left/right turns to take and whether there will be traps in a room, but it seems to be able to help them keep moving toward their current goal, whatever it happens to be at the time.

Unfortunately, becoming completely lost with every glance at the map means that the map becomes essential to itself. You need the map to become unlost, but every time you use it to find the way forward, you get lost and need to use the map again. The only way out of the loop is to accept a time of being lost and having to reorient yourself in traditional ways.

>untieable boot lace
A boot lace that for all intents and purposes is a normal boot lace, except that when it is threaded into a boot, it is impossible to tie.

>Negative character trait: Perfectionist
>Guys, I'll catch up, lemme just tie on these new boots... just...
>user, come the fuck on, it's been ten minutes
>Just... I just... almost... hold on I've- fuck. Wait...
>user PLEASE EAT THE FOOD WE LEFT WE HAVE TO GO
>I... almost... just gotta... just gotta... tie...
>user has perished
>Reroll?

Oh god I'm stealing this

Seems like a pretty good Rouge weapon

Im sure theres some other kind of exploit for this thing I just cant think of it right now

>BOOMerang

Hell yeah! In my campaign I had an identical item called the kaboomerang. A player used it to sudoku himself and take our group's that guy with him.

>Upon further inspection, the cave you have found is not entirely unoccupied.
>There is a desiccated corpse, clothed in moldering adventure gear, and a plate of rotten, uneaten food.
>Only one of the corpse's boots is tied...

Mitre of Ecumenicism: When worn by a cleric, forces enemy clerics of different denominations to roll a hard will save against dropping what they're doing and engaging in theological debate.

Chime of Opening, Greater: As per regular Chime of Opening, but opens everything in range. Every. Thing. Orifices. Minds. Valves. Source code. Eyes. Potions. Everything. Usually unused due to how much of a danger and annoyance this poses.

Lesser Stormbringer: A fake of a famous sword. Looks wicked, but doesn't hold an edge very well and increases the frequency of inclement weather around its owner, creating a sort of "portable Britain" which follows them around.

A spear that can pierce any shield, a shield that can deflect any spear attack. Can only be used on each other.

Watch of time - Stops time for 1 minute, including the user. Useable once per day.

Cursed Glasses of Seeing - When worn, the wearer is treated as being Blind. Grants immunity to Gaze Effects.

Mug of Dwarven bane - Any alcoholic beverage placed into the cup instantly becomes alcohol-free and tastes of water.

Toe ring of balance
Give a bonus to balance when worn on toe removes same amount as bonus when worn on finger

Joke scroll of Fireball
Fireproof scroll launches MASSIVE fireball when burned (can not be burned)

Yeah, our DM has a fuckhuge chart that he said has well over a thousand entries. When our campaign is over, I'll ask him for a copy.

Eh, the point of the Whiching Blade is essentially to have a weapon for every situation, not necessarily a lolsorandom weapon that either sucks horribly or is a godsend.
How he uses the chart (or at least how he told us he uses it) is he groups the weapons by situation, and then rolls off.
>You are in a cramped hallway, there's clamoring ahead of you.
>"I draw the Whiching Blade!"
>DM rolls, gets Mancatcher
>You grip the cast iron scabbard and narrow you eyes, the noise is getting louder.
>The blade takes quite a bit to pull out, but when it finally comes loose, you find a long polearm in your hands, ending in a strange, horseshoe shaped prong.

How I got the potato peeler was I drew it the sword to show to a merchant as an appraisal, needless to say, he was not impressed.

I love to give my party minor magic items with no (obvious) utility to an adventuring party. They regularly surprise me with the inventive ways they manage to use these things. Here are a few they've found recently:

>Monocle of Hunger Detection

Invented by a wizard who loved to host social functions for use by the waiters he hired, the wearer of this monocle is able to discern how hungry a person is at a glance. The monocle works on all intelligent creatures, but doesn't provide any information about preferred diet or normal consumptive habits.

>Phial of Palatability

A common purchase for nobles of refined tastes who plan on traveling, and fear that the meals away from home might not be up to snuff. When ingested, this potion causes all food and drink consumed in the next 24 hours to lose all flavor, allowing one to consume even foods they personally dislike without gagging. It does not make food any safer to eat, however; rancid food can still make one sick, and poison is as dangerous as ever.

>Staff of Mildness

This walking staff is enchanted to always be a comfortable temperature to the touch; in winter it will be warm but not hot, and in summer, it will be pleasantly cool to handle. It does not radiate any heat or coolness; the effect comes only through direct physical contact.

>_______ of Kazal Rah

A famous explorer of the previous age, many of Kazal Rah's possessions have acquired this unique property through yet-unknown means: when a person who has previously handled said item speaks the phrase "Where art thou, _____ of Kazal Rah?" they will be able to instantly and unerringly discern what direction that object lies in, no matter the distance. Note that speaking the phrase doesn't actually tell them the distance, however, nor does it communicate anything to the speaker except a direction. Literally hundreds of items are known to be affected by this enchantment - my party is currently in possession of "The Inkpot of Kazal Rah," themselves.

They used WW2 props / demilled guns for some of the Star Wars movies, namely the Original Trilogy and maybe Rogue One.

>arm holding an arm holding a knife
A STRANGER I REMAIN

t. never touched a gun in his whole life

I think I've mentioned these in a thread like this before, but our GM created a category of items he dubbed. "Failed Magical Items" They were items that were meant to be traditional magical items, but during their creation, something got messed up. So they did some wondrous and magical things... just not always the way you hoped.

As an example, there were the Boots of Owl's Flight. Once tied onto the PC's feet, they allowed one a Flight speed of 30 with a +10 bonus to move silently while flying. They did this by turning the wearers arms into Owl's wings. Of course, having wings meant you didn't have arms and hands and couldn't take the boots off yourself.

Or the Bag of Raining Water. Meant to be an ever full flask of water, it could hold an infinite amount of water that could be poured out at will. It did however, not refill itself and could only be filled by holding it or placing it open in the rain. Holding it underwater didn't work, even if it was in a barrel left out for collecting rain water.

I'm imagining that niche scenario when people have to figure out a picture or scry location by the surroundings and landmarks, perhaps pointing the wand at the picture/scry window to know where it is?

That's actually quite inventive. Nicely done

>BOOMerang
I think this is a cursed item that stands a chance of hiding in plain sight.

>> Bitebag
>A mimic in the shape of a small bag, it'll bite fingers/hands near clean off. Though if you feed it enough it'll regurgitate some nice items n gold

clever

>What is an internet browser for 500 Alex?

>Periapt of Heath: Gives the wearer supernatural ability in locating large stretches of uncultivated scrubland.

Quickly! Plant the corn before the night fae see us out after dusk! Our treaty with the Seelie will keep us safe!

Oy! GazGhul, izzat you?

google maps?

>someone chopped up a bunch of Enfields to make these
It's not a new image, but the /k/ommando in me is still pissed off by shit.

This "magic effect that hides an item is magical" has got to be one of the dumbest things in all of writing.

If a DM wants to fuck with the players like an asshole then just have rocks drop on them or make 10 dragons appear on their camp.

But if all the enchantments turn off, than the enchantment that makes them not register as being enchanted would turn off, so they would register as magic so long as you were carrying enough magical items.

>Determines if a surface it is placed on is sloped.
So a spirit level?
Or rather, spirit orb

>tfw Kalashnikov regretted AK and instead wished he designed a lawnmower or something nice instead

Why, it's just enfields.

also comes in schwarz

>Grass Knuckles

>Lesser Stormbringer: A fake of a famous sword. Looks wicked, but doesn't hold an edge very well and increases the frequency of inclement weather around its owner, creating a sort of "portable Britain" which follows them around.
Amazing