Arms&Armor Thread

Arms and Armor Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gb1csnUeebo
www2.zippyshare.com/v/GcvOrNne/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=E2oTy6dYPPE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

post your favorite style of armor

I'm personally a fan of brigandines. They just have something that makes them more attractive than a breastplate though I do love me some 16th century munitions armor

I used to really hate the look of brigandines, but they've grown on me.

I believe this is a figurine of a polish armor but im not sure

Fuck me sideways, I forgot my image and my link.

I can't tell you what my favorite armor overall armor style is, I really like non-houndskull bascinets.

i like the burgonet

I can get that, I'm not a fan of using brigandine methods for parts other than the torso. They usually end up looking kinda silly to me

fancy scale or lamellar can look good, though they're hard to come by

Bronze age stuff like the guy on the right.

munitions plate has a special place in my heart

There is something to be said for the classics.

I don't think the pauldrons really fit with the rest of the armor, but other than that, this is probably the most badass set of believable armor I have ever seen.

If it's got a visor, it's not a barbute.

looks like a barbut to me

Barbuts never had visors. It's a modern anachronism.

youtube.com/watch?v=gb1csnUeebo

Huh. Interesting watch. Thank you for opening my eyes.

If you're ever interested in learning I highly recommend both Knyght Errant and Scholagladitoria.

I watch Scholagladitoria but I have yet to check out Knyght Errant. Will do.

Brigandines are my jam.

anyone know what type of helmet this is called?

Why are there so few modern reenactors painting their armor? I was always under the impression that a lot of original armor was painted to protect it from the elements?

most people have an image of shining armor that comes from museum curators polishing the ass off their armor.

In reality, cheap armor wouldn't be shiny. In modern armors, polishing accounts for about 20% of the cost. In the medieval period, polishing accounted for up to 80%.

Painting can be hard too, especially if you aren't an artist.

You mean this one?

Basinet?

Aaaaww yeah.
Lots of armour, sure.
But what about POLEWEAPANZ

Klappvisor lowpoint bascinet

The god honest answer is simple: time-to-maintenance ratio. The amount of time put into painting armour past a coat of black, is typically seen as an effort in futility, as most people who own armour of such caliber are using it in practical situations such as combat sports and historic fencing.

A high polish, blueing, russeting, etc, is just easier to maintain.

>A high polish, blueing, russeting, etc, is just easier to maintain.
It is? I read something about knights without squires blackening the armour simply because it protected them from rusting.
Then again, knights without squires?

We're talking modern people such as historic martial artists and reenactors. You have no need for a squire when you have a power sander with buffing head and a bottle of NAAS.

Ohh reenactors. Sure, power sanders would be enough.
Hey, about poleaxes, which was the most useful combination?
Axe & Hammer, Hammer & beak or Axe & beak.
They were for knight on knight combat, right?

whichever one you're used to

personally I like the one of the left in your pic, it's such an iconic style

Subjective opinion based on personal tastes, training and exact situation.

I like Guisarmes (?) the most, and I really don't know why...but they'd be of questionable use against a knight on foot, right?
I haven't found any instances of hot halberd on pollaxe action

D A G G E R A X E

Those are halberds missing several bits :^)

Well they do predate halberds by several thousand years, originating in the awkward transition between stone and bronze weapons.

Still love plate armor and all, but shit man, it looks fine.

Also Rome Total War was my childhood.

Fair warning, Knyght Errant is pretty dry, but he knows his stuff.

my man

17th century plate armor. Right before it went out of use and men started to wear ridiculous wigs.

Great helm best helm

That's a COP.

Nice

Is there some sort of non historic armor that is misx of Samurai and knight armor?

15th century gothic, simple and good looking.

Pic unrelated but still cool.

The Manga Berserk has at least one set of Maximilian Samurai Armor.

Oda Nobunaga owned at least one set of Namban-Armour, which used a peacoat breastplate and a Morino.

>The Manga Berserk has at least one set of Maximilian Samurai Armor.
Which chapter?

someone crop the leopard eyes

Hate to be a cunt, but does anyone have good pictures of Dumas style Musketeers actually in the field?
Failing that some fuckers in morion wearing spaniards would be golden.

Azan, the old reliable of lady Farnese, is rocking a very tasteful Maximilian/Do-mashup armour.

Oh yeah, that guy.

Definitely somewhat Eastern European. Especially the shied is very Polish\Hungarian-like.

what would you call it then?
Because it looks to me like someone stuck a visor on a barbute.

Ahistorical and pointless. Having a nasal and a visor makes both redundant and less comfortable.

when your job involves a high risk of people hitting you in the face with weapons, double protection is not redundant.

seems like a decent idea to me. also looks cool as shit.

>shins protected
>Thighs wide open
>Arms not protected
>Shoulders well guarded with GIGANTIC PAULDRONS
>Pauldrons deflect blade into unprotected neck and head

Just kidding I don't have autism. :)

>unprotected thighs

I want this meme to stop.

Uploading right now.

Quality's potatoe and its value is pretty damn low, because without the text translated, it's just a lot of swords without any information. As educational about the subject as a Wuxia movie, really.

I'll scan this one next. It's basically wierd self defence weapons galore, though it's interesting to see where the term "trick weapon" used in Bloodborne originated from.

Bronze age, bruv. They didn't exactly have armor down to a science. Just look at the guy on the left. He likely couldn't so much as squat to take a shit in that getup.

>how do skirts work?

Fucking magnets, man.

That's fine, as a noble charioteer he had a gaggle of shirtless servants to hold the shit pot right up to his anus if need be

What's wrong with greaves?

leaving the part of your body with the largest artery exposed is kinda silly. Why leave them open and protect your fucking shins?

Now with a large shield in formation, it's fine. If you are fighting alone, with no shield, it's a bad choice

Dude, the thighs were the last part of the body armored throughout all of history regardless of how were you fighting. The order is
>head>chest>forearm> upper arm/ shoulder> feet/shins> thighs

www2.zippyshare.com/v/GcvOrNne/file.html

that's because people almost always had shields in warfare

and at least with chainmail, thighs were almost always covered.

Yes please, thanks!

In my experience (admittedly unprofessional) the shins are one of the easiest places to hit a person with a stick, be it sword or pole arm sized.

Like what the fuck. How's this "classic" in any way, shape or form? This is even too weird for manga.

My personal favourite in terms of wierd/awesome shit in the book is Musashi's punch axe, but the only weapon I'd throw money at to have in my collection's the hard whip walking stick.

From the 11thC. Prior to that most shirts only about half-way down the thigh and the earlier you go the more likely it is you'll see shirts that barely go past the groin.

Shields were of course nearly universal, but you do still have the case of dane-axes being used (especially in the 10thC before knee-length hauberks become common) with byrnies that only cover half the thigh.

And it's not always the case that large shields compensate for lesser thigh coverage. Early Anglo-Saxon (say 5-7thC) mail was relatively short, and the shields were usually a good deal smaller than in the 10 or 11thC. Likewise kiteshields co-incide with the adoption of longer mail.

It seems like the Chinese themselves are getting more interested in military history research, which will be good for all of us if more of it makes its way into English. There is a lot of misinformation and anachronisms out there.

They're somewhat more likely to have their shit translated than say... the Japanese. The guy who wrote that book apparently is some rich fuck who owns a good portion of the swords shown in it.

I really like winged hussars, but having played With Fire & Sword I can't help but think, "Fucking winged faggots" everything I see them.

that's strange, in my experience trying to reach shins leaves you open to attacks

Though I do arnis, so no shields and fairly short weapons. If you're using a bo staff or polearm, you can definitely attack the shins, or basically anywhere

16th c. German is best
>Maximilian
>Almain Rivet
>Black & White armor

Fucking Punch Axes, man.

>couple 15th century knights
>Standing in front of a 12th century army

It's like an American Civil War soldier on a humvee in Fallujah

That's a funny way to say 14th c. Italian.

The armor he posted is clearly 16th century

Also a knuckle duster for armored combat.

You say that like it's a bad thing

user I think you might be terminally retarded.

what a weird way to spell Maximillian armor

That's a fucking tiny horse.

everyone gather round so we can make fun of the user who thinks this

I'm pretty confident that when the guy photoshoped those knights over a scene of kingdom of heaven he wasn't deliberately being anachronistic, just accidentally so.

Sallet is objectively best helm and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Speaking of anachronisms

youtube.com/watch?v=E2oTy6dYPPE

looks better than this