Any rpgs dealing primarily or are designed specifically for taking place in a generation ship?

Any rpgs dealing primarily or are designed specifically for taking place in a generation ship?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!UbohlLYb!Gw6P0uCb0G6MAczgIslqXg
rpgnow.com/product/50526/Metamorphosis-Alpha-1st-Edition&affiliate_id=1446
i.yuki.la/tg/1410279719780.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck, I wish.

I showed The Starlost to my nerd friend and he went apeshit for it and wanted to binge-watch the whole series right there.

Been wanting to run a game with this premise for a while.

Been meaning to watch this, but people aren't seeding

Uploading the whole thing to Mega just for you user

Other guydude here. I hope you'll be finished for when I wake up tomorrow.

Generation ships are great.

You truly are an elegant gentleman, user

It's already 10% done

No prob, keep circulating the tapes and all

11% done now

I hope the thread survives long enough for you to post it. I'll head for bed and check it tomorrow. Thanks again

Just leave this tab open. Even if the thread dies, it'll stay in the archive for seven days.

Dunno. But let's speculate what life onboard would be like.

The population number never grows. Each adult will be replaced by one child. The child is not from crew pairings but a random but pre-screened fertilized ovum stored since launch. This is to avoid inbreeding. Every time a child is born, a 70 years old or older crew must commit suicide but not before they upload their memories into the central data banks.

>Every time a child is born, a 70 years old or older crew must commit suicide but not before they upload their memories into the central data banks.

Wouldn't a less grimdark method be "everyone makes daily memory uploads, and every time someone dies, a new baby is then born to replace them"?

That's probably a better way.
What about RPGs that take place in a horribly fucked up generation ship? Like this for example: something real bad happened, the navigation is way off and the ship's pretty much drifting in space for all eternity, the hydroponics deck is now the source of a dense jungle covering three quarters of the ship, which is inhabited by both the descendants of the inhabitants of the zoological deck and the products of a malfunctioning cloner/replicator/teleporter/etc, the colonists devolved into a full-blown tribal age, so is the crew but they still cling to ranks and are more like a Hindu caste society, and the AI went insane, and is now worshipped as a deity.

GURPS comes pretty close. GURPS Spaceships even has a generation ship ready for use.

>What about RPGs that take place in a horribly fucked up generation ship? Like this for example: something real bad happened, the navigation is way off and the ship's pretty much drifting in space for all eternity, the hydroponics deck is now the source of a dense jungle covering three quarters of the ship, which is inhabited by both the descendants of the inhabitants of the zoological deck and the products of a malfunctioning cloner/replicator/teleporter/etc, the colonists devolved into a full-blown tribal age, so is the crew but they still cling to ranks and are more like a Hindu caste society, and the AI went insane, and is now worshipped as a deity.

see

OK, upload has slowed down quite a bit so I don't know if it will all be done uploading before this thread flatlines

mega.nz/#F!UbohlLYb!Gw6P0uCb0G6MAczgIslqXg

Here's the folder with the first five episodes, plus the series pitch. More episodes will appear in the folder as the upload continues(?)

Fun fact: Metamorphosis Alpha, one of the first sci-fi rpgs published, was on a generation ship.

Just a small bump

You're doing God's work, user.

I've been thinking about basing a campaign on Earthsearch, where the PCs are the only people left on the ship, and were raised by AI (with ulterior motives)

GURPS

Generation bump

Alright, according to the upload window, the entire series should be in this folder now.

Somebody want to try a DL and confirm?

Did anyone watch Ascension?

More importantly, did anyone like Ascension?

>Metamorphosis Alpha
I had that, it was pretty fun. It was in the late 90s we played it. Think I gave it away to someone when I was moving: wish I'd kept it.

ooh, still on sale for much cheapness (pdf).
rpgnow.com/product/50526/Metamorphosis-Alpha-1st-Edition&affiliate_id=1446

World of Synnibarr takes place on a planet sized ship (it used to be Mars) traveling through the cosmos to a new homeworld for humanity after the Earth has been destroyed. It has laser bears and fire breathing clams.

Anybody tested this yet?

freebie
i.yuki.la/tg/1410279719780.pdf
just watching starlost on YT.

Quick summary of this show:

Devon (the guy with the mustache) is a young man who lives in a place called Cypress Corners, which is a place that's a lot like an Amish village. He's in love with a girl named Rachel, who loves him back, but the elders have declared that Rachel is to marry another young man named Garth. Devon rebels against the social order, and is ordered to be put to death. He escapes Cypress Corners and discovers that his entire world is just one small "biosphere" on a gigantic generation ship. He also learns that this ship is in danger of crashing into a star, and that it's been drifting without a crew for centuries, ever since a cataclysmic accident struck the ship. Through plot contrivances, Rachel and Garth also leave Cypress Corners, and the rest of the show is a "Town of the Week"-style plot where they encounter different biospheres, all of which have really fucked-up cultures after being left in isolation far longer than they were supposed to be. They also encounter the descendants of those who WEREN'T given the luxury of a biosphere, as well as remnants of the original crew, aliens who are interested in the ship, and lots of other weird stuff.

The thing you need to realize when you start watching it is that the creators had some really big ideas for a small TV production company in 1973. Their idea was to shoot the actors in front of greenscreens and use a revolutionary new miniature camera system that they had invented just for this show. The idea was that the minicameras would move around a miniature model landscape, and the actors in front of the greenscreen would be synched to it. However, 1973 wasn't ready for this technology, the camera system was too buggy to work, and the creators then realized that they had blown 90% of their budget on the system with no returns.

Because of that, there's a lot of "standing in front of the greenscreen slowly looking at something in awe as the camera flips between the three of them".

You might be able to bash Legacy: Life Among The Ruins enough to make it work, since it's already built to deal with multi-generational play.

Oh, and Harlan Ellison was the creator, but since he hated how it turned out, he made them use his pseudonym Cordwainer Bird.

Ben Bova was also involved.

Just read on the wiki that Ellison retained the rights to the original screenplay, and in 2010 made a four-issue comic version of it. Torrenting it now, so if I get it downloaded I'll put it in the folder with the videos.

OP here. Tried to dl, but Mega said it was too much data (tried getting them all at once) and that I had to pay.

I did. I liked it. It was Ascension that reignited my irk to play a game on a gen ship (Aniara was the original spark, years ago)

>Fun fact: Metamorphosis Alpha, one of the first sci-fi rpgs published, was on a generation ship.
And was the basis for one of the coolest settings of all time: Gamma World (though obviously that wasn't set on a generation ship).

Yeah, I think you can only download one at a time if you don't have a pay account.

And I got all four comics and am currently uploading them to the folder.

Apparently there's a 9-episode web series from Hulu called "Ark" that's some kind of soft reboot of the Starlost but I can't find it on the open web.