ITT Cliches and tropes you're still a sucker for

ITT Cliches and tropes you're still a sucker for

>The various unrelated factions of the story unite for an epic final battle against the BBEG's doom legion
>Pampered nobles and bratty princesses that develop into likable characters after a hardship arc
>Characters transformed into creepy, insane, man-creatures (Gollum, Reek, etc)
and the most egregious of all
>Plausible sexual tension between rivals

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatYouAreInTheDark
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Please, no frogposting on Veeky Forums. Thank you.

>Eldritch horrors
>Humans beating eldritch horrors
>HFY garbage
>The whole theme of locations being corrupted and twisted and it's populace turning into monsters through their own insanity and debauchery
>A hero with a sword and shield

>A character that is extremely weak, unskilled, or childishly simple, yet extremely likable and/or loyal to the party, sacrifices themself during a crucial moment
>Their actions don't necessarily stop the BBEG, but create just enough of an opening or window so that the protagonists can accomplish the mission
>Nobody save the individual, and MAYBE the protagonists, are even aware of their sacrifice at the time that it's made
>The protagonists honor the individual as if they were one of their own because of their heroism, for without their actions the protagonists could not have succeeded

Every fucking time.

>Character busts out a new technique or form when things seem dire and turn the tables
I don't give a shit if it's an asspull, or a Deus Ex Machina, if it's done right, it's so fucking hype

It's silly but I always put the old "small guy and big guy best friends" in my campaings, either as potential villains or as friendly recurring NPC's.

>Character A is tasked with protecting Character B at all costs
>they fall in love
I don't care if it makes me a fag, I'm a sucker for cute things.

>Giant muscle guy who doesn't use fancy kung fu or powerful weapons, just hits shit really hard, sometimes with other shit
I don't care, I love it so much

>The civilized world constantly being under attacked by uncivilized beings
>A hero stopping the BBEG and securing civilization for another millennia
>THICC

>teaming up with an evil character/faction to combat a mutual threat

gets me every time

>MC is average at best, underwhelming at worst
>Nothing is expected of him, he isn't the chosen one
>Overcomes every odd through force of will alone
>Becomes a legend
Classic hero's journey done well makes my dick diamonds.

>main character(s) dies at the end but still defeats the bad guys, รก la Rogue one
>the main hero defeats the BBEG but loses so much in the process that he commits suicide some time after
>main character gets their shit beaten by BBEG, but don't give up and still get to defeat the BBEG by a way or another

I like tragic ends, but unfaltering determination gets me everytime.

My brother of darker skinshade

>Hero is a repentant villain on a quest of redemption
>Hero settles down with love interest in a sleepy village where no one is the wiser of their identity and mentors the plucky wannabe-hero of the next story
>Supporting character is secretly a runaway member of the royal family
>Prequels where the villain of the original story was, at one time, a hero or (even better imo) anti-hero that defeated a greater evil and never changed alignments

>the ally was an enemy all along
>BBEG doing what they do because 'It's for your own good'

>sucker for the lesbian princess and ladyknight meme, but despite being considered a gag-inducing cliche on Veeky Forums it hardly actually exists in fiction

>Plausible sexual tension between rivals
This is a thing between two gods in my campaign.
The god of war and the goddess of druids are completely at odds with one another. The reason the goddess of druids developed wildshaping was to help her followers fight against armored and armed men. Now, the god of war didn't take too kindly to that, so he developed an alloy that basically gave the finger to wildshaping/shapeshifting and gave it to the soldiers of the world.
She's short and quiet (she doesn't actually talk, using telepathy), he's fuckoff huge and prone to boasts. He's a son of the god of fire, she's a daughter of the goddess of water. His animal form of choice is a wolf, hers a rabbit. They're both very physically attractive to one another, but neither of them are willing to admit it out loud. The god of war has tried to resolve this by catching her and forcing himself on her as a show of superiority, but he's never been able to catch her. She intends to make him come to her and have him admit his feelings, and takes fun in taunting him.
It's like a divine version of Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To, except with more violence.

>Giant slab of a man, usually drags his feet, seems slow about everything. Possibly a dullard.
>when shit hits the fan, this motherfucker is lightning

Sorta like sloth from FMA:B?

I'd forgotten all about that dude. But yeah, kinda. But usually not to such an extreme

the frog is the heart and soul of Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums is comprised entirely of /r9k/ tier losers except we actually hang out with our own kind irl.

I know it's the worst, but I still love a well executed morally grey BBEG

>Friendly Eldritch horrors.
Something about a cthulhu esque monster saying hello to his neighbor while picking up his newspaper just gets me

My fellow of melanin abundance.

I love this sort of sexy danger.

Wrong.

I have a girlfriend. Who introduced me to TTRPGs. With whom I roleplay. Both sexily and not. I hold a job and am the owner of my own LLC for my side business. Frogposters are scum. They mock the idea that we can ascend beyond what we are, and that we will never be more. They are the BBEG of the chans.

That cool but we don't really believe you

MY nigga

My African american of bretheren

My companion of Nubian complexion.

>Old master comes out of retirement for one final adventure/job/mission
>Guy who acted like a total asshole at the start sacrifices himself for someone else
>Cults who engage in all kinda of weird rituals, preferably while wearing masks

>hiveminds and group conciousness
>Lovecraftian abominations from other dimensions
>ancient advanced ruins
>Not!AtTheMountainsOfMadness storylines
>sounds in space
>space battles

>Super strong old dude on death's door
>Takes one last stand
>Wrecks shit but inevitably dies

Never not hype

>Rolling and banking in space

>spaceship to spaceship combat
>ridiculously lound and crazy guns on saod ships
This shit gets my rocks convecting

>Drifting in space

And that is irrelevant to the point made Skippy. Even if I were a lossless virgin who never saw anyone but mother dearest, it doesn't imply that those who want us to wallow in suffering like themselves are not dragging us down to darker depths to simply further their own sadomasochistic goals.

I do dislike that trope for some reason, but I don't dilsike you for liking it, user.

Old person in a line of work where people generally die before they're 35.

If they do that then they were never eldritch, just tentacle monsters or whatever.

Wouldya look at all those syllables!

I gotta agree with you here, user. Nothing kills my interest faster than an "eldritch" abomination reavealing that they're not so bad/are just like us.

I'm being obnoxious here, but in a /classic/ hero's journey, he'd be somebody special, the chosen one.

A "Prince" as Campbell puts it.

Oh man this is actually one of my least favourite tropes, holy fuck it triggers me.

Wouldya look at all those digits!

>Wings in space

They both make *some* sense, for rotational momentum on mav thrusters, and because you might have more thrust in your pitch or yaw axis than the other.

>The BBEG has a small ensemble of elite servants/warriors/underlings, each of whom is characterized by a very particular ability or aesthetic choice.

Bonus points if one ends up falling in with the party because reasons. Double bonus if it's a romantic one.

I always describe it to myself with a simple houserule hidden behind the story plot:

>unlocking a new ability early in combat costs large chunks of EXP and is almost never worth it unless you're fucked anyways.

Honestly helped it make sense in every medium.

Wasted quads. Make a wish, I guess.

The hero gets with the princess (or female equivalent).

Probably the biggest cliche but its always something I enjoy reading.
Wheel of Time was a nice way of diversifying MCs and their relationships (but still had the princess).

Yeah look at that dumb fucker, using language to convey ideas.

What a shithead.

>princess (or female equivalent).

probably meant the equivalent for a female hero

>Princess (Male)

I'm not sure if its a 'cliche' but
>Big buff warrior lady
>Ripped usually, tears through people with weapons/hands all the time
>Complete sweetheart, loves wearing pretty clothes, cooking, so on.

Don't pretend that people don't string together sentences like a thesaurus just to look smart. Not even saying that's what's up with in this case, but you know that's a thing.

the goon is the best example of that

Now this is the kind of worldbuilding I can get behind. A bunch of interesting details to the setting come from straightforward and understandable reasons.

As far as I can tell every goddamn girl on this fucking website, whether its a poster or an image, is a girl (male)! I almost don't remember a time when anyone remotely feminine wasn't just assumed to have a cock!

>redheaded well proportioned qt 3.14

I am a simple man with a simple desire.

>princess (or female equivalent).

I meant friendly to a point still destroys the world or whatever the fuck it's doing but it gives a nice greeting beforehand.

>The bard seduces the dragon and the party doesn't have to fight it

>The oldest party member has to be dad-like to all the other party members

>ancient advanced ruins
bruh

>People of drastically different backgrounds and agendas had to team up for common goal
>backstabbing and secret objectives
>forcefully recruit shady character with necessary skills but no loyalty to any cause
>use that one as hatesink to diminish tensions
>form unbreakable bonds, even by rising conflict between their home factions

>buying time for the party to get away

This doesn't happen nearly as often in our games, though.

>the bad guy is doing it all for love.

couple months later the bard
gets a dragon egg from a terrified courier with a note "Your problem now"

>tfw I know that feeling, bro

The main villain early on becomes a rival, becomes a tenuous ally, becomes a fucking bro
Gajeel
Viral
Vegeta

>the frog is the heart and soul of Veeky Forums
dumb frogposter get out.

>Sword-and-board fighters/paladins/clerics that use their shield as a second weapon
>Magicians that only seem to know spells that fit a very specific theme regardless of viability (the frost witch, pyromancer, walking tesla coil, etc)
>the hero or villain that ascends to god or demigod status by sheer force of will, mastery of their craft, strength of conviction, pure virtue, etc.
>brave, headstrong, well-meaning, but stupid character slowly becomes the calm wise man/woman over the course of their character arc
>little girl possessed by hyper-cthulhu spooking up the property
>the two-person buddy cop team that compliments each other perfectly
>characters that don't believe in objective morality when it's a literal fact in-universe

What a pain

>a character has suffered catastrophic injuries/damage
>stands up
>continues the fight

also:

>immortal befriends a mortal
>mortal passes away
>immortal wishes they could have gone with them

Gets me every fucking time.

Neat dissertation, professor

Big guy and slitle shit team up, inseparable and fight as one.

>second one
Every fucking time.

>Magicians that only seem to know spells that fit a very specific theme regardless of viability (the frost witch, pyromancer, walking tesla coil, etc)
I love this and it really shits me off that it's rarely viable for players to do the same thing

>brave, headstrong, well-meaning, but stupid character slowly becomes the calm wise man/woman over the course of their character arc
Bonus points if they're the narrator

> "i reject your reality and substitute my own"-style unraveling of enemy's magical/duvune/otherpower
> lonely smoking while standing aside during the celebration
> "Is that not what you asked for?"
> "If you go there, you are on your own" - go anyway - NO RESCUE comes for them

A well done What You Are In The Dark moment always gets me.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatYouAreInTheDark

Something I like that's similar to this is the dark mirror thing, where the hero is shown to have suffered and be hurt in a way similar to the villain but refuses to go down the same path and does the right thing anyway. Bonus points if the story really highlights that your choices make you just as much as you make them.

An example of this is Harry Potter (pls no bully).

For a number of years now, work has been proceeding in order to bring perfection to the crudely conceived idea of a transmission that would not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters. Such an instrument is the turbo encabulator.

Now basically the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance.

The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the panametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzlevanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented.

>Sword-and-board fighters/paladins/clerics that use their shield as a second weapon

That's basically how you're supposed to do it.

>it's an Elayne / Seafolk chapter

>An example of this is Harry Potter (pls no bully).
Ewwwww, user.

I was a just a kid I didn't know any better. Have mercy.

>Member of an always evil race / a demon partying up with the goods guys to do good.
>But has to hide the fact that they are part of said always evil race / a demon because they know they'll be imprisoned or killed if found out.

>hero has completely met their match, even giving it their all they cannot win
>So they say fuck you and give it more than their all, to the detriment of their own perminant health, in order to triumph

See also: Rock Lee/Might Guy

*darth sidious-style voice* There is no mercy....

>was a traitor all along

Screeching about cartoon frogs is just as autistic as screeching about terms for antagonists. The thread has actual content to it, you don't need to get mad over the chosen mandatory image the OP used.

im sorry

Related to this, I love when the Hero is successfully pulling off what the villain failed at.

The villain tried and failed to do every with nobility and honour, but couldn't proceed, and ended up having to betray their own morals in order to accomplish their goal. And then the hero shows up and did everything they tried so hard and failed to do, and makes every sacrifice they made meaningless, because if they had just waited the hero would have done what they couldn't without having to sacrifice anything.

In summary:
> The final confrontation revealing a tragic villain who ends up going through a mental breakdown

Fucking quality taste. I mean Rogue One was eh, but sacrifice and determination are great. In a similar vein, I like protagonists that aren't well liked, or perhaps even shunned by society but do what's right anyway.
Wolf Among Us was absolute top tier for these tropes I swear.
related

Wolf among us was tubler-tier trash, shitlord.