D&D Editions are the same as Gaming Consoles

Prove me wrong.

Protip: you can't.

Nope, you're right.

Sorta true. You even have the jank-ass early 3d games of the PS1-era to represent the janky-ass rules of AD&D. And also nostalgia.

Dammit, I forgot that this is Veeky Forums, not /v/.

Why do you all have to be so reasonable and pleasant?

I agree.

Woah woah woah, wheres the Jaguar, Saturn, and Dreamcast?

Go away, dumb 4rrie. Only contrarians and WoW players liked your system.

I don't agree with the comparison between D&D 4 and PS3. The latter was a huge hit with many beloved franchises and blew 360 out of the water. You can't say that about 4th D&D.

Fairly spot on analogy, it won't fit in every way but effectively brought across your point. 8/10

D20 Modern sucked.

The comparisons you cite work, at least. Of course there's other ways to interpret it and specific nuances that don't fit, like , but it's still solid.

Although it is worth remembering that 4e still sold very well in its day, the stuff about it selling badly are untrue, and competitors like Pathfinder only started outselling it after 4e stopped publishing new material.

This really falls apart at the end

The 360 was THE console to own and pretty much drowned out the ps3 until the very end, besides that generation was the longest lasting most culturally prevalent generation it's what brought gaming to the mainstream.

You also didn't list online streaming for the last panel

>consoles

>Although it is worth remembering that 4e still sold very well in its day, the stuff about it selling badly are untrue
Are those alternative facts part of the alternate reality 4rries live in?

Penny arcade is a hell of an advertisement dude

No? It's truth. Every edition of D&D has sold better than its predecessor. 4e had a smaller market share because the RPG market had been made bigger than ever during 3.5's era.

Hasbro also made several serious mistakes in terms of expectations, budget and marketing for 4e. They wanted to elevate the brand to a moneymaker like MtG, without realising they were completely different products. Thus, even though 4e sold well and was a successful game, it still didn't meet their targets- Targets that would be nigh on impossible for any RPG to reach.

It's why 5e is a much smaller scale operation. Hasbro assigned it a much smaller budget and it's now more of a passion project than a real earner for WotC, plus it occupies the brand so they can hope for more lucrative deals based on it like videogames or movies.

Because in our games you jave to interact with people and develop social skills

Alright guys, new game.

You get to pick one generation of D&D + vidya, and that generation is all you can play.

What do you go for?

Ah, shit, online streaming would have been a great addition. Good point.

Editing now!

You should put GURPS on the side with a PC next to it.

Done.

Man, fuck that. PC gaming is the equivalent of all other available RPGs, not just one generic system.

The reason I suggested it was really just because pretty much whatever you want to run there's a book for it.

Kind of like a PC.

Put a UNIX logo on the screen.

Definitely! And not Linux either, UNIX proper. (Linux would be more like Savage Worlds IMO)

Where's the SNES and Genesis?

Those are probably Basic D&D, 'cause it was the best D&D.

I like this analogy.

Especially if you look at the gratuitous amount of supplemental products around 3(.5) like the scourge of Madcatz products of the corresponding console generation. Largely unimportant, a few shitty ones, but a few diamonds in the rough that really enhanced the experience

We're very sociable and have friends with which we play games. So we know how to talk to people, I guess.

Are you doing alright, user? If you came here just expecting to enjoy a fight you can still talk about what is otherwise stressing you out?

I loved the idea, but was sad it let me down.

>first two consoles to bring 3D graphics to a huge audience
>nothing groundbreaking
???

>Xbox 360
>underappreciated, no point in upgrading

>N64
>a polished product

>Wii and Wii U are not included, even though they would be more apt comparisons for 4e and 5e

Nice meme. And that's just the most obvious and blatant things I have complaints about, there are more if you nitpick enough.

360 was outsold not only by PS3, but also by Wii. And that after having the strongest start out of the three. Americans just can't make video game consoles.

That's kinda unfair. The Wii outsold fucking everything. It was astonishingly successful.

>they would be more apt comparisons for 4e and 5e
Wii and Wii U would make a good illustration for 3.5 and 4, but only if you switch them around.

>3e
>Innovation in design and mechanics leads to a new renaissance

Say what? The 3e era is notable mainly for the absolute lack of innovation and the d20 label swallowing up and obliterating smaller and more innovative products in the name of standardization and piggy-backing compatibility. Pic fucking related - it was swallowed by d20 future.

A new edition of that is on KS at the moment

I'm aware. Sadly, Star*Drive was integrated into Alternity at a basic level, so that entire setting and all of it's interesting races and background won't be in this new game, because WotC owns that now.

Also, it's almost been 18 years. People have gone from baby to graduating high school in the time since Alternity was axed. I'm a little bitter about that.

Where's Holmes, Moldvay B/X, BECMI, and Rules Cyclopedia?

Fuck off back to /v/.

Protip: you should.

nah, d&d is like the souls series:
>ad&d is is like demon souls
>dark souls is 3.5
>dark souls 2 is 4e
>dark Ankara souls 3 is 5e
discuss

You're wrong.

Prove ME wrong.

You can't.

5 doesn't pander to 3.5 fans so slavishly

No fucking way. Dark Souls is a masterpiece, 3.5 is a trainwreck.

>a huge hit
>blew 360 out of the water

>360 was THE console to own
>drowned out the ps3

It's only a matter of time until the shitstorm arrives, find shelter

The only way DS1 could be compared to 3.5 is if str/dex based builds sucked ass and sorcery/faith builds shat all over them to the point of making str/dex useless.

3.5 is a trainwreck, but it's still a damn masterpiece of a trainwreck.
Fight me.