EDH/Commander General

"Nope" edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Which control-based commander is your favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/75-of-baral/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-rulings/magic-rulings-archives/271237-eye-of-the-storm-and-hive-mind
edhrec.com/decks/yasova-dragonclaw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Which control-based commander is your favorite?
Well that question could go a variety of ways since there is different methods of control such as Ruric, Thar Unbowed being about punishment but Dralnu, Lich Lord being about recurring spells.

All things aside, Queen Marchesa.

How does Veeky Forums feel about Hapatra? It seems like there could be a lot of cool synergies with her.

I just wish she had deathtouch and was a naga.

She's the commander I needed. I already wanted to make Blowfly/Nest/Flourishing combo work and she functions as a command zone Nest.

Yeah, deathtouch or trample could go a long way toward making her a lot better. But stuff like Contagion Engine, any infect creatures, or that new Pit of Scarabs card could be pretty cool with her. I'll probably try brewing something up once the set comes out

>playing 6 man edh game
>5c chaos player plays eye of the storm
>ok this isn't so bad yet
>wheel deck makes everyone wheel
>he ends his turn
>chaos fag tells the wheel guy thanks
>chaos player then plays hive mind
>nobody knows what the fuck is going on anymore
>mfw

How much fast mana do you guys think would make Paradoxical Outcome a sizeable draw spell? Currently running the following fast mana:
>Chrome Mox
>Mox Diamond
>Mox Opal
>Mox Diamond
>Mana Crypt
>Mana Vault
>Sol Ring
In addition to a bunch more rocks. I've also cast it to save a key permanent from removal, which is sweet.

Grim Monolith

Post 'em!

1drop ramp boys ww@

is it worth including fellwar stone and exotic orchard in sakashima? i worry about hosing myself if i steal a deathrite shaman or something.

she is pretty good, seems like the deck will just be generic golgari though

So I ended up paying 9 eurobucks for a lotus bloom. Because this might be my last chance to get it at a single digit price anywhere. Fucking kikes raaagh

What would you even use it for? Seems good in Daretti but not really a good fit anywhere else

I am simple man.

Dralnu is getting an extensive overhaul via a Doomsday/bettor tutor package and some Fork effects for the big spells

Made a Baral list, seems pretty good so far
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/75-of-baral/

I need help EDHG

I'm building a 1984 theme deck with Nebuchadnezzar as the commander

I need as many cards that abuse lookin at hands, forcing constant discard, and making discard hurt as possible.
I got telepathy, zurs weirding, seers vision , and bottomless pit type enchantments

I want to have a huge hand while my enemies have nothing, and I want to slowly grind my enemies down with cards like "the rack"

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

>Contagion Engine
>Contagion Clasp
>Nest of Scarabs
>Blowfly Infestation
>Doubling Season
>Black Sun's Zenith
>Carnifex Demon
>Crumbling Ashes
>Flourishing Defenses
>Fume Spitter
>Grim Poppet
>Incremental Blight
>Mike/Persist combo
>Wickerbough Elder
>Channeler Initiate
>Necroskitter
>Quilspike/Druid/Ooze combo
>Seshiro the Anointed

Any spicy tech I'm missing?

Hidetsugu, to set off the combo faster. Just this week I've dropped 50 eurobucks on cards because they might rise rapidly. Feels bad man

The untap skipping kamigawa snek will work well with her

Which cards? I'm probably gonna buy some shit tomorrow

You seem very cool, how else does dralnu win, other than rise from the tides?

>no Birds
>no Utopia Sprawl
>Joraga
Shit.

Recently got a carpet of flowers, nu-selvala and biorhythm shaman. All are already steadily rising. Also found a cheap Top, Paradox Engine and Winter Orb so there's that

Blow up everyone's spells and creatures until they scoop in frustration
LabMan is in here too
Soon there will be a couple Doomsday piles to better facilitate LabMan
There's the classic Coffers-Urborg-Exsanguiate
One time I managed to Quicken an Army of the Damned into a Twincast and slap the shit out of everyone late-game

Most of the time it's a Fun Police deck. Me and the Shattergang player have a buddy cop relationship unless we're the only ones left

Sounds like a quick way to draw out anyone without an oldrazi to discard, because after two instant or sorcery spells everyone will have drawn 84 cards from 12x wheels.

I'm not that guy, but I think Joraga is better than Birds or Sprawl if he's in mono green.

T1 land, Joraga -> T2, land, level up, rampant or something -> T3 land into 6 mana is pretty good

There's also Midnight Banshee, but since it's replaces all your snakes during your upkeep you wouldn't be able to attack with them. Then again, maybe you don't care about attacking?

>As foretold is going for 20 bucks
Damn. That seems really steep for a card that is mostly going to be seeing play in edh over competitive formats when people learn it isn't fast enough.

Also, If you want to have a laugh, put in both Thelon's Chant and Tourach's Chant.

So wait for it to release and not get played.

She's combo potential, (small and gradual) creature removal, token generation and a cheap commander all in one package. Love her.

Hapatra reads "when you" place a -1/-1 counter.

>Pic Related
>Urza's Glasses
>Telepathy

Go to gatherer and look for the basic phrase look at/reveal hand.

Are you not going to be playing forests and swamps in a green/black deck?

I never said it was good...

im in monogreen

When does "when you" apply? Would you get the snakes If carnifex demon killed something with -1/-1 counters?

another Golgari commander, Golgari didn't need her but could be fun.

Been trying this on xmage, any suggestions to make this spicier?

I've been trying to find a good R or G tutor for soceries/instants

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/

How do those cards work?
Would hive mind copy the cards exiled by eye of the storm and would eye of the storm exile the copies made by hive mind?

Is Chainer good for mono black resurrection or is there a better commander?

>Went to Gamestore a city away from home
>Some guys I played with a while back wanted me to join them
>Left my Commander Decks because I was coming back from classes
>One of the guys let me borrow his Gahiji deck like a trooper
>Idon'tknowwhatI'mdoing.dec
>Same guy played $2000 worth of cards that he bought with his tax return and saved money
>Cards were graded and shit too, had to use proxies to not damage the cards
>Start the game and goes to turn 1
>Dude plays mishra's workshop, casts grim monolith and mox diamond into paradox engine
>Holyfuckingshit.dec
>He had all masterpieces too, shit was cash
>Don't know what the fuck was going on the whole game
>Everyone was astonished about hte turn 1, to the point where we were laughing
>His turn two was casting sculpting steel on Paradox Enigne
>He casted Krenko and Kiki Jiki
>Shit was going down
>Until we realized that Paradox Engine Was Legendary
>MFW

First: Yes, if you control both, you may stack them as you choose.
Second: Hive Mind does not cast copies. Eye of the Storm casts copies of the spell, but Eye of the Storm can only trigger on spell cards.

If Eye of the Storm resolves first, the spell card is exiled. Then, copies of each of the cards exiled by EotS may be cast. Each copied spell cast this way will trigger Hive Mind and be copied for each player. When all of these Hive Mind triggers are resolved, the original Hive Mind trigger will resolve, creating copies of the spell which started the chain.

If Hive Mind resolves first, each player copies the spell. Then, after the copies resolve but before the original spell (the spell card) resolves, EotS will exile it. Then, copies of each of the cards exiled by EotS may be cast, each copied spell triggering Hive Mind. Finally, the original spell to start the chain will resolve.

from: mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-rulings/magic-rulings-archives/271237-eye-of-the-storm-and-hive-mind

Trying to see what cards I can do straight upgrades on in my Atraxa deck. Which one do you prefer /edh/?

Unmaking saves me like 2 bucks to put towards a cyclonic rift and has a stronger removal ability with the exile. Vindicate just hits things but I also run a Beast Within in the deck.

>snake
>has not just arms and legs but extra arms
(Just having a giggle)

Yes, so long as you control carnifex demon. (Specifically, control carnifex demon's ability, but it's usually the same.)

The two cards I mentioned have effects that give all players the choice to place counters, so counters your opponents place wouldn't trigger Hapatra.

The Orochi would like a word with you...

>vindicate
>"upgrade"
Sorcery speed makes Vindicate far less useful. Anguished Unmaking is by far the best one there.

my play group is losing their fucking minds over Kefnet swearing up and down that it's going to be an extremely good card for EDH. I tell them I'm unimpressed and they start trying to gang up on me about it. So the real question would be how would you go about slapping it down to prove a point?

It's pretty much just an indestructible permanent that reads 3U: draw a card, so yeah, it's got its place in plenty of blue decks but it won't redefine the format.

Amonkhet gods are still creatures even when you're not satisfying their requirements so any degree of creature exile gets rid of them.

Could make the green one interesting if there is an in-set source of repeatable fight. After all, fighting isn't attacking or blocking.

Don't forget that if you play Kefnet on turn 3 you'll very likely have 7 cards in your hand.
An indestructible flying 5/5 creature for just 3 mana on turn 3 is pretty great.

It's not incredible, but it's definitely not as bad as Veeky Forums makes it out to be.

Idk man, being able to hit lands is very very strong

Thing is my playgroup acts like this thing is going to be huge for any Ux and doesn't seem to understand why I'm not impressed

Your group is not playing enough good removal then.

Song of the Dryads, Lignify, Darksteel mutation, Swords, Path are all serious cards once Gods start becoming a usual thing in your group.

Use Sen triplets instead, literally controlling your opponent's ideas. Hell, the triplets could even stand for the three slogans if you want to think of it like that. It's also better with telepathy style cards.

Is Lovisa Coldeyes just beatdown potential or is there more to her than that?
What's your experience playing with or against her?

I guess your playgroup is entirely composed of Timmies that only play Creatures: The Tappening and nothing else

The opposite really, I just think they're going absolutely retarded on this one.

Yahenni sac spam is the only other player who doesn't really care, but there's a Narset, Thalia, and Nekusar

so

any decks?

erebos big black mana deck where you already run baneful omen and sorin's vengeance

Just awful.

is that supposed to be Gideon?

Are we sure we haven't gotten a shapshifter planeswalker yet?

Archfiend of depravity works better imo

Guys if I have Temur Ascendancy on the field and cast something like insurrection, does it trigger?
Do the creatures count as entering under my control?

Also if i exile I creature I stole with Yasova with Conjurers Closet, does it get back to me?
And how does Bazaar Trader interact with all this?

I'm building a Yasova EDH deck, any help would be appreciated.

>Guys if I have Temur Ascendancy on the field and cast something like insurrection, does it trigger?
Do the creatures count as entering under my control?

No; the creatures aren't entering the battlefield since they're already on the battlefield; they just change controllers.

>Also if i exile I creature I stole with Yasova with Conjurers Closet, does it get back to me?

Yep, the creature is now under your control permanently!

>...

Not sure what you're asking about with Bazaar Trader.

Thanks! Bazaar Trader supposedly lets me keep something I stole for one turn forever??

Ex Yasova player here.

Yes. Yes it does. You give control of the stolen creature to yourself.

Great! Any tips for playing with Yasova? She looks super fun to pilot.

I just bought the average Yasova deck EDHREC generates and I'm not sure what to expect, is she better for multiplayer or 1 vs 1?

edhrec.com/decks/yasova-dragonclaw

>no matter what I set out to build, it eventually turns into some kind of staxx and my playgroup hates it

Anyone else /that guy/?

I am

>This card looks cool
>But I guess spot removal here would be more useful
>Also let's include an armageddon, I can drop it after I wrath the board

But my playgroup plays combo, so fuck them.

>plays combo
so does mine, but everyone always hates the stax and MLD anyway.

>oh im running a token producer
>may as well add in smokestacks
>well while were at it...
>???
>another stacks deck

My voltron angel tribal Atraxa is now staxxx'd and Im not sure at what point it happened.

Atraxa infect is much more lethal, trust me

I'll remake a control deck some day, I swear!

No. This is a perfect example of a garbage mythic. Unless there will be reprint of Curse of Misfortunes or something similar, this shitty card won't even be played in standard.

Already did that, but thought skittles or the UG experience guy were better for quick infect ko's. Using her proliferate to keep combos like prism+stasis seemed much more suited. But there is still infect of course :^)

Artaxa infect is a bad meme deck. Just play Skittles or Mimeoplasm if you want to play proper infect. Atraxa gives nothing meaningful to infect Skittles doesn't already have. Having a consistent infect source in zone is pretty damn important thing for such a bad strategy.

they need to stop giving golgari more shit and show some love to simic and other stuff jeskai

>"Approach of the Second Sun"
>6W
>Sorcery

>If Approach of the Second Sun was cast from your hand and you cast another spell named Approach of the Second Sun this game, you win the game. If not, you gain 7 life and put Approach of the Second Sun back into your library as the 7th card from the top.

>you win the game

its basically guaranteed card draw which is cool but thats about it. there is cheaper card draw in blue though

Mediocre at best. The "cast" clause kills it, and realistically, only oloro could handle such a dead weight card the first time you cast it. Literally worse felidar sovereign.

>Kruphix
Counter, get mana, play big creatures, win the game

>Zurgo Helmsmasher
Voltron, Boardwipes, double strike enablers

>Anafenza, the Foremost
Still building.

>the two most built EDH decks of all time
>all of your decks instantly lose to hate or interaction
People like you ruin this format.

>The "cast" clause kills it
How come? Even if both instances are countered you still win the game. It's an on cast trigger if this translation is correct, right?

>it's just a Rare
>Demonic Consultation instantly grabs it
>as does any wheel

Stop posting with a trip if you're not going to learn how the game works after years of fucking playing it.

so does this go into reanimator decks like meren?

sorry i dont play the game in a way that you approve user, good thing you cant stop me ;)

i bet tutoring combo win the same way every time stuff that you probably play is soooooo much better

What can I do against Prossh?

Other combo commanders are easy to kill like Breya if you use Stony Silence, but Prossh? The tokens enter even if you counter that fucker, it can kill you soooooo fast.

Self-mill and another reanimator trigger each turn is nice, I would run her, at least to have a bit of variance from other Meren decks.

At least the first cast doesn't need to go through to make the second work. I'm not sure about the second. Also eat a dick, if people don't want the "Veeky Forums is bad at magic" meme to propagate they should help each other out with rules misunderstandings.

>5 mana Reanimate
>5 mana Animate Dead
>5 mana Necromancy
>5 mana Dance of the Dead
>5 mana Dread Return
Slots right into your upgraded precon.

Torpor Orb
Hushwing Gryff

If you're going to samefag at least don't be the only two posts in the entire thread to drop capitalization and punctuation.

The first spell has to resolve, the second wins you the game when cast (or rather, casting the second one creates a trigger that, when it resolves, wins you the game).

However, the other user is clearly a complete douchebag who only lives to complain and make others' lives miserable.

That's brollective, fuck off man he's a cool guy.

You win on the second cast trigger, but I think it's implying the first needs to stick for its whole activation.

You fuck off, you contribute nothing to these threads yet constantly ask questions and still have the nerve to name yourself.