MTG Modern General

Let's have an actual thread about some brews. No absolutely terrible decks, but we all do it. We all have an idea and try to make a deck out of it. Let's post those brews, and we can comment on eachothers. It's been a while since we had any new ideas in these threads.

Also what do you think of Amonkhet so far?

New Gideon and the 3 drop spell Aether vial?

Is Death's Shadow going to catch a ban? It's 12% of the meta on mtgtop8 and I really don't see it slowing down. Fatal push was supposed to stop them, but it made them stronger lmao.

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

channelfireball.com/articles/modern-all-spells-no-lands/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-39-tix-modern-gb-zombies
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-87-37-tix-modern-death-cloud
mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-burn-34574#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also can Wizards stop printing fucking strictly EDH only cards at mythic and rare? Seriously their faggot format gets so much fucking support and then they have to be half the main set as well god I hate EDH autists so fucking much.

The mythic rare was originally intended to be for cards which were:
>Legendary
>Planeswalkers
>Had huge splashy effects

Please switch off your Stockholm Syndrome and quit complaining that the rare cards aren't competitive staples you fucking dolt.

They don't have to all be competititive staples, just 1 fucking playable card for fucks sake

Why do you think staple cards should be at mythic and rare? Also just so you know, that 3 mana blue enchantment is actually pretty nuts. You can cast stuff that costs less than the X, which means after a few turns you just get to cast whatever free spell every turn. That's pretty nuts really.

And you can cast (not suspend) Ancestral Vision the turn you put it down, because it's a 0 CMC card.

I don't necessarily think staples should be at mythic and rare, but that's the way Wizards does it. And I really don't see that new card panning out desu

The new R 1/2 prowess at rare is absolutely playable in burn

Compare
>T1 Guide swing for 2
>T2 Swfitspear Bolt swing for 4

To
>T1 Guide swing for 2
>T2 New Dude Bolt swing for 2

Lack of haste is a very big deal. Eidolon gets away with it because his damage has pseudo haste. Lavamancer gets away with it because he's fucking NUTS.

Lmao no it's not at all you stupid bitch.
Swiftspear is better in every single imaginable way, there's no room for that card at all. Also burn is a fucking gay deck.

in standard burn maybe

Asking again

What is this "Dredge" you speak of? I hear it used to be a kind of a deck a long time ago

EDH doesn't want that shit. That shit is for draft and kitchen table casual.

Implying you ain't gay for taking in the butt from it.

So what will they ban from storm this time? Also I want all you fags who said it was shit to show your face.

That one.

It was and is shit
>I need to untap with an x/2-3 in lightning bolt and death's shadow running rampant: the format in order to do anything before turn 4-5 when there are faster combo options around

It's cute, but bad.
Only real good thing about it is that now you can searing blaze/blood a kitchen finks and not get feelbads

>faster combo options
Like what?

The mtg goldfish meta is retarded

>5-0 modo lists and big events
No it's not.
Grishoalbrand, Ad Nauseam, Titan Shift Breach, Amulet Titan

>lower than a deck that just got a ban
wow, how impressive. 1 in every 35 games, when will modern be free of this menace

Literally none of those decks are faster except grishoalbrand which is a shitty meme, also
>Amulet titan
Well memed

the MTGO meta just moves super fast

Am I right thinking this is a nice card for storm and burn? Gives storm an alternate win con to get the damage in in case a leyline is out and Burn can finally weaken big shit that it can't outright kill.

It's important to understand a deck's speed as a function of its goldfish turn and immunity to interaction, storm folds to yard hate, any kill spell AND sufficient discard, the listed decks only to at most two of those, Ad Nauseam being postboard (Leyline) pretty well off vs anything except a faster goldfish.

Well memed, my shitposting comrade.

What shall we throw next for carcasses, commandant?

i agree on the second part but woudnt monastery swiftspear be way better as alt con for storm?

Ad nauseum is not faster than storm you fucking tard, it's just hard for storm to beat because of Angels grace and the pact of negation, storm is a turn faster than ad nauseum and you're a retard and have never played either, also ad naus is more resilient and nullifies removal, which is why it is played. Titanshift is a better all around combo deck, yes I'll agree with that, but seriously kill yourself if you want to argue grishoalbrand and amulet titan are faster or better. They're faster 1/10 times and slower the other nine, just cause they are capable of going off turn 2 doesn't mean they are

>storm folds to any kill spell or disruption
Yeah stopped reading there

I forgot that in MCL anything wins through everything.

Great response, really showed me with that hot Jonah Hill meme

Presumably this has value since you grapeshot the board and not care about indestructible. Swiftspear is great, and probably better overall but I imagine Soul-scar has it's own value.

Storm is really, really redundant. You can grapeshot for 17 if you know what you're doing through a kill spell. And discard isn't the worst, yes if they hit you with 3 discards it's pretty bad, but the deck does not fold at all to 1 thoughtseize or even 2. Yeah grave hate is bad though. I'll take it you just never played the deck

"Approach of the Second Sun"
6W
Sorcery
If Approach of the Second Sun was cast from your hand and you cast another spell named Approach of the Second Sun this game, you win the game. If not, you gain 7 life and put Approach of the Second Sun back into your library as the 7th card from the top.

Can I reverberate this?

No I can't I'm a retarded fuck

You can but it won't win you the game

I hope this isn't real. Instant win cards are Fucking stupid

What, you don't like alternate win conditions?

yeah I hate when wizards prints completely unplayable garbage too

Just EDH my set up senpai

it would be if there were any good spells

>There's not good spells in Modern
wat

>actually thinking this card will see play in storm
This is Kithkin level retarded.

Mythic: Just thoughtsieze, but doesn't cost 2 life

>not costs 0 mana, requires a swamp and costs 4 life
You weren't thinking of something other that death shadow being the best deck where you?

So when do we get Astral Slide V.2?

>Sorcey speed 6 mana do nothing draw 3
Ebin

To be fair, if you hit seven cards with that draw three, you can still have plenty of plays at instant speed left.

You're a gay deck

If you're at 7 mana with 5 cards in hand, you're probably already winning in modern.

I'd say that this looks like this will be the worst set for years to come, but I'm not that optimistic.
At least it can't make the game worse considering how useless 99% of the cards are.

Sorry 6 I'm retarded

Basically the only deck this could be played in is a Tron payoff and it's not nearly worth it I don't think unless we get some REALLY nasty cycler

>wah people play different formats then me wahhh

Every person who hates Burn is a faggot who cant win against it usually Tron players

>the first 1 mana cycler in the set is a ducking 3/3 in white
They really don't want to make living end good, hot damn

You know it would be better for people who play EDH if the playable cards they got were common right?
I guess it wouldn't be relevant if EDH players generally allowed proxies, or is the reason people play the format just to show off their wealth?

Fluctuator, you look... bad

Wow, this shit is going to be dumb as hell in EDH

"please kill me within 7 turns' is not really that good an effect

Umm, made a deck. can i get some opinions on it? its probably shit but idc worth a try. its green/black
>lands
Swamp X 7
Forest x 11
Foul orchard x 2
golgari guildgate x1

Instants

murder x 1
Borrowed Malevolence x 1
Grapple with the past x1
Appatite for the natural x1
Confront the unknown x1

Sorcerys
Prey upon (holo & non holo) x2
Inceremental growth x1
Larger than life x2
Mindrot X1
Muderous compulsion x1
Macabe waltz x1

Artifacts
Profetic prisim X2

Enchantments
Dying wish (holo) x1
Oakenform x1

Creatures
Nightmare x1
Soul of the harvest x1
Tireless tracker x1
Yahenni Undying partisan x1
Watcher in the web x2
Wild wanderer X2
Olivias Dragoon x2
Lawless broker x1
Sengir vampire x1
Arborback stomper x1
hamlet captan x1
Intrepid provisioner X1
Crossroads concentrator x1
Kujar seedsculptor x1
Somberwald stag x1
Quilled wolf x1
Peema outrider x1
Ovalchase daredevil x1

I probably should have made a pastebin of this....

ghost quarter their land. etc

commander has plenty of shuffle effects. but odds are they're just going to second sun and dig through time after. so idk I don't play degenerate commander I play Kaho

Looting, mass drawing, windmill effects and plenty of other things go incredibly well with this card.

I've been able to go through 20 cards off the top in commander games

>the first 1 mana cycler in the set
how's that rock house treating you?

mythic
B
Target player reveals his or her hand.
You choose a card in it. That player discards that card.

Yeah, this is pretty terrible.

This is the comptitive modern general.

make it exile actually, loxodon smiter is too strong

>modern: brews edition

I can't believe someone validated my deck by putting it on this.

Any tips/card to get to make it better?

I'm sorry, there's a blue cycler for 1 mana that's even worse.

Unless you're talking about the other cards with cycling that living end does not want to play because they aren't creatures. But that can't be it because you'd know that, right?

opps all spells isn't a modern deck

Start with getting a mana base senpai, lands are real important

That depends. Are you on a budget, and if so, what is it?

so 24 manas then?

uum, i dunno. $200?

With only $200, you won't be able to do much.

You could buy mono green stompy, but that won't help you with deckbuilding.

What Avenue are you looking to play modern, kitchen table or at your LGS?

For 200$ you can't have a legitimate modern deck. I'm sorry senpai. And the thing about black green in modern is, the cards are real expensive. What's your playstyle? I could refcomend some budget decks, but there's really no helping that first on you posted

Twoo tried it, like everything

channelfireball.com/articles/modern-all-spells-no-lands/

If you're set on GB, I have to inform you that decent decks in those colors easily break the $1K mark, and can get up near $2K pretty commonly. The saddest part is, it's only three or four playsets in the deck(s) that really jack the price up.

There are some decent budget decks, and while indeed you won't do great at big competitive things, you could place at smaller things like FNM if you're a good player.

well, im a bit new (know how the game works) but im liking more controlling playstyle, and im getting a bit of a kick out of all the point and click delet cards in it. and yea i had a inkling on how shit the deck was. shame too.

Soo, unless i have giant piles of cash to burn green/black is a nono then?

i meant to say point and click delet cards in the black cards

Pretty much yeah. GB is unfortunately probably THE most expensive combination of colors in the format currently. If you are set on GB though, you could take a look at GB Zombies or Death Cloud:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-39-tix-modern-gb-zombies
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-87-37-tix-modern-death-cloud

"Paper" is the actual price, "Online" is the price if you're buying for MTGO.

okay, so modern is ruthless. its a format in which decks are winning by turn four and your deck isn't doing anything to win by then, or to stop the opponent from doing it. so for this your deck needs a plan, and for it to be able to follow a plan it needs consistency in its cards. you need to have 3 and 4 ofs the cards that will allow you to follow that plan the best, instead of just 1s and 2 ofs. green/black for example, usually follows the plan of grinding the opponent by removing all of his threats and then beating face to end the game quickly. green/black decks in modern usually need very expensive cards to be able to hold up with the meta, so you might want to look into another color combination.

I would suggest you looking through some of these decks and picking one that has a tier 1 or 2 version so you can upgrade over time.

mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper

if you don't care about being competitive and you just want to play green/black, then some cards I'd recommend you look at are: Fatal Push, Scavenging Ooze, Thragtusk, Inquisition of Kozilek, Primal Command, Blooming Marsh, Abrupt Decay, Harmonize, Dismember.

hope this helps

Even for the removal and hand disruption in BG, you're looking at $5 a card, which becomes $100 of your $200 right there. Then lands are going to be well over $200 and the beaters/planeswalkers for those colors are already over $80 each.

It would be good with As Foretold. IDK about modern but standard it seems playable as a control set up

ty guys
im willing to look into other decks/mana combos, how good is red/white?

its not bad. you could play boros burn, which is a good deck and can be built for relatively cheap, and upgrade it over time. or if you are more into creatures you could play Norin sisters/stake sisters.

ok, i'll look into it.

Thank you guys for all your help

Also checked

Red/White is alright, but becomes much stronger if you add Green to it...in fact, those are the colors for the current Tier 1 burn deck. Most versions will cost around $600~700 when fully made, but you could build up from monored burn (which is fairly cheap) into it, if you like blowing things up:

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-burn-34574#paper

(Also note, you can (and honestly should) remove the scalding tarns from the linked list here and save $200.)

If you want a decent mono-red list, ask and ye shall receive. For some reason no one online has a decent one up.

Yeah, the landbase there is all sorts of fugged. You can shave a good $250 or $300 off the deck by reworking the lands. You'd also probably want to rejigger that sideboard too.

I have a deck a friend built for me around dovin bann, but will probably post it later

I wouldn't run it, that deck will definitely be catching a ban soon.

k

You're really trying to tell me this card won't get baanned?