Approach of the Second Sun

>Approach of the Second Sun
>6W
>Sorcery
>If Approach of the Second Sun was cast from your hand and you cast another spell named Approach of the Second Sun this game, you win the game. If not, you gain 7 life and put Approach of the Second Sun back into your library as the seventh card from the top.

How do you record how many times Approach of the Second Sun has been cast?
What evidence does the player that cast Approach the Second Sun have that it was cast?
What is stopping the opponent from claiming that Approach the Second Sun hasn't previously been cast?

Because no one is going to be casting this card in the first place.

Dude, you only have to play it twice, I'm pretty sure most people won't have any trouble remembering.

Do you trust your opponent to remember something that would lose him the game?

How did you become this stupid?

So you don't have to cast the first one from hand right? Just the second one. So, what are good cards that will make it cheaper to cast the first time around?

>play spellweaver helix
>imprint two copies of approach of the second sun
>play third copy of approach from your hand
>spellweaver helix triggers, play copy
>copy resolves
>spell resolves, immediately winning the game
surely the new meta.

What stops your opponent lying about their life total.

explicit rules about double entry bookkeeping.

Not only does the first one not have to be cast from your hand, it doesn't need to resolve.

You can also Unsubstantiate/Failure your own Second Sun if you've got the mana, just to put it back into your hand.
Baral.
Metallurgic Summonings is still brewable in standard while Part the Waterveil is still legal.

Seems extremely bad. I was about to bitch about the copies not actually ever being cast, but Spellweaver Helix actually does cast the copy, so neat. I'm assuming you're Traumatizing yourself to get those two copies into the graveyard, or just running loads of Serum Visions type sorceries to imprint.

Fuck I hate being a Johnny.

As sad as it is, nuGideon lets you get there.
>Drop emblem turn 3
>they focus out Gideon for the next 1-2 turns
>Drop Gideon, Ally
>They focus it out
>Life total still untouched
>Drop this to hit 27
>Several turns left to boardwipe and find a second Approach

I guess something like this would have been better:
"Gain 7 life. Gain an emblem that reads "the next time you cast AOTSS from your hand you win the game""

I can imagine some player staring down at some Gideon across the table with that platinum angel emblem and looking at Approach of the Second Sun in his hand after he already cast one, and some how being in a situation where we would appreciate being able to use it as the worst gain life spell in MTG. Probably that 7 life buying him a turn or whatever to draw into an out or something.

I'm missing the shuffling the card in the seventh place thing but whatever you get the idea.

Emblems are from walkers only right now. This isn't the first rest of the game card WotC has printed (e.g. Praetor's Counsel).

I think with that one, you don't have to resolve the second AOTSS.

Although admittedly with the current version you don't have to resolve the first one.

He's asking how you prevent a player from lying to a judge about having (or not having) cast it twice in one game, or on the rare RARE chance that there are no witnesses.

If you are really concerned about that, let a judge who's going to be nearby know when you cast it the first time. It might annoy the judge, so only do so if you KNOW your opponent is playing dirty.

Hm, I had not considered that. Too bad, I think Emblems are pretty cool and could be a cool design space.

because your opponent isnt a cunt that says you didnt cast it before. whats stopping your opponent right now from saying "no my life total is still at 20, he never attacked with any creatures the entire game." What evidence do you have that you have actually been attacking with your creatures?? Its the same damn thing, nobody is going to argue that you didnt cast this thing before if you actually did.

There are scumbags who cheat. That happens in MTG too. I watched CalebD bitch about this time his opponent had a Consecrated Sphinx. Caleb drew a card, waited 30 seconds (he counted in his head) and then played a card. In other words, his opponent clearly missed his Sphinx's trigger. IIRC, his opponent then brazenly called a judge over and lied to him, and got to draw his 2 cards.

Well if this CalebDick knows the rules, then he knows that his opponent haven't missed his trigger yet.

Wait, isn't this easily achievable by just drawing into two copies of this?

Am I missing something?

You have 4 dead cards in your deck that you absolutely must draw 2 of to win the game. That's already hard enough, not to mention you have to have the 7 mana to cast it.
I have to agree that it's easier to do than BioVisionary or Hedron Alignment.

So... ramp, lifegain, and defenders?

Maybe. If it's viable someone will make it.
There were Maze's End deck back at rtr.

There was also Omnidoor.

>tfw bolas is a five color stall deck

The first copy you cast is in your fucking graveyard holy shit.

>If not, you gain 7 life and put Approach of the Second Sun back into your library as the seventh card from the top.

Where the screaming fuck are the other 3 Gods? Come on now, why the week drought?

To be honest, I like cards like this. I'd rather lose to something like this in a control shell than having a Planeswalker card-advantage me out of the game.

Not super thrilled at the idea that the only interaction is some sort of countermagic or cranial but I'm happy to have it nevertheless.

Too bad it's going to fucking suck. And not suck as in unplayable - I can easily imagine a Standard where it's playable. I mean unplayable where you're getting hit by Serra Angels on T3 unplayable.

>can't interact with them in any way

No, they're best used sparingly. And it's important you can't interact with them, since that's the whole point. Otherwise they're enchantment tokens, basically.

that isn't how standard works, they can use just part of their offense killing gideon.

and in case of Snakes'n'Ballista's, past turn 5 they can have enough power+ballista counters to just alpha strike you from 20+ to 0.

I feel like the fact we can't interact with them makes them utterly disgusting from a gameplay perspective. Shitting out a Enchantment Token would actually be nice because it would give some means to interact with an ultimate as opposed to "you lose the game and there's nothing you can do about it".

Because right now, we have a 4-mana Anthem in Gideon that you can't get rid of. And while 2-mana Anthems were not something you'd want to often shoot, it was still nice to feel like you could shoot them.

Anthems being untouchable are like lands being untouchable due to unplayable destruction. It's a shit philosophy that only narrows the possibilities in the game. Before Tectonic Edge when was the last time we could kill lands as a strategy? Molten Rain?

Alt-wincons are some of my favorite cards in Magic because they demand interesting brews; it's just too bad that most of them suck, especially if you pull them in limited. Hopefully this gets an interesting shell. The reprint of Aven Mindcensor makes me think deck searching is going to be relevant this block, so it might just become a janky brew in standard.

>The reprint of Aven Mindcensor makes me think deck searching is going to be relevant this block
Enemy fetches next set
Just kidding lmao

Honestly it would fit an Aztec world well enough but I doubt we'll see them.

it's the enemy version of the mirage fetches
but they're common

You really only need 1-2 copies as it will just be put back into your library 7th from the top.

bookkeeping, and bookkeeper are the only words in the english language with 3 double letters next to each other. As an accountant I learnt that and always get a bit excited when I get to share that.

I was going to make a post with just the word "tattooee" but apparently there's no real word for a person getting a tattoo.

I want to design some accountancy software and name it bookkeepplus, just for the new record.

no spoilers today
rrrreeeeeeeeeee

racoonnookkeeper

Such is the Curse of Weekends.

They don't ever spoil anything on weekends? No cards? 0? :(

No, they don't. They never have.
The only time there's EVER been cards spoiled on weekends is when people have cracked product early and then show it off. And that is, of course, not Official WotC Spoilers.

Counters, dipshit.

I see. Where do people usually get their spoilers from? I just check mythicspoiler.com every day.

They've managed to crack down hard on anything other than the official stuff, while making sure there's more official stuff than the 2-5 cards a day on their own site. What shows up on mythic spoiler is usually it, though they might be a bit slow on a thing or two (usually by no more than a few hours).
They also get the ones that are 'somebody cracked some packs' spoilers anyways, long as there's enough confirmation it isn't yet another hoax.

In eighteen years precisely.
The two suns of Amonkhet will align ever so nicely.

The hour of ascension will be at hand. Summon the planeswalkers, your monstrous band.

Then Jace and his friends will finally fall! And you, Nicol Bolas, will rule all!

A word of caution to this tale.

Should Gideon pass the trials.

You will fail.

I like this post.

Good work user

This was okay when emblems were from -ABillion planeswalker abilities, but yeah making ones that are so achievable feels pretty dicey.

you can cast mindcensor in response to attune / evolving wilds.

That is, unfortunately, the only relevant thing I can think of right now.

Approach of the Second Sun looks sweet in limited to me.

They're not going to claim you didn't cast it before because that's a stupid lie and nobody would play this game if people actually got away with stuff like that.

Players in a community that do that get a reputation instantly. Players in a tournament that do that get called out hard and fast, kicked out immediately.

Yes you -can- get away with it, it's not a significant concern all the same.

desu if they don't spoil the Hekma as being some sort of legendary enchantment that functions similar to ghostly prison, i'll be mad. It's the sort of thing standard needs right now, too.

Remember, they had no idea standard was going to turn out the way it did, and work two years in advance.
We won't see anything INTENTIONALLY put in to do anything about what's going on until at the earliest Atlazan, and those will be last minute changes, which ALWAYS go well for Wizards. See: Skullclamp, Tarmogoyf, Umezawa's Jitte, Jace the Mind Sculptor.

Right, but it's literally the perfect thing that could be printed, a major part of the plane. It's literally the only reason the city exists right now, and it's a barrier made to keep creatures out.

They're also printing self-recurring creatures and really good low-curve creatures, meaning that it would fit perfectly in Amonkhet itself as a way of keeping aggro in check.

If they do print it(which they should), it should have some effect that makes it harder for creatures to connect. If they don't print it or don't give it the right effect, i'll be mad.

Of course, if they do print it, it'll have some way to get rid of it that's a 'hint' to what happens next set.
Something like 'if you discard a card, sacrifice it' or something like that that's totally not blatantly telling that Bolas is going to get rid of it.

Is this a meme?

Probably. Bolas would definitely get rid of it if he wanted to cause chaos, though I have to wonder why the Hour of Devastation is devastating the plane he created, and not just the Gatewatch. Is he just going to nuke the place because somebody found out? Scorched-earth style?

Don't know where to ask this so I'll try here. Anyone know if Jake from MTGgoldfish does any other videos besides Playing Pauper, either on the same channel or otherwise?

The voice on that other guy makes me want to kill myself but Jake is so chill.

why would it be a meme?

5 star post.

you tell me
mtggoldfish.com/articles/search?author=50

Extremely unhelpful.

Considering the volume of video content Saffron Olive (Seth) produces, I'm guessing he's who you mean by "other guy". If you don't like Seth's voice there are other content creators besides Jake. One of the reason's I like watching Caleb is his voice. He sometimes makes videos for Channel Fireball and is streaming on Twitch literally right now.

Why not just put a way to destroy it on the Bolas? The current bolas planeswalker would probably be able to get rid of it with it's +3

On the upside if you're playing Green HA they're printing artifact removal

no spoilers again today
rrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

because that's not 'clever' enough

Nothing in the rules says i cant murder my opponent if he/she is a retard dickcunt.

I'm getting impatient. They need to spoil things on the weekends, those turkeys at wotc.

Yes they do, it's in a section called 'the law.'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this work?

Oh dang, missed the 'if you cast this from your hand' clause. Derp. Would have been too easy.

It doesn't count as playing it from the hand, it's played from exile.

I'm playing temur tower. So I like and hate that they're printing more artifact removal, especially attached to creatures because that's fucking bullshit and natural obsolescence was more than enough. Now they get their removal attached to a fucking bear that blind obediences any future towers. That's bullshit.

pretty sure remand would work, though

Unsubstantiate also works, and it's more flexible at the cost of not cantripping.

Doesn't that wording mean you have to cast it twice in the same turn?

RTFC.

>Leave Actual card face up on field with something on top of it
>return a token with Approach V2 into your deck instead of the original card
Problem solved.

The only ones that are really bullshit are the two Gideon ones, because they can come down as soon as the player plays Gideon. All of the previous emblems require either a turn or more of warning prior to them coming down, or various bullshit can also be avoided, like Doubling Season in Commander. The two Gideons are just fucking stupid.

It's also a 2/1 flier with flash for 2 mana. It's got a good body even without the ability.

Aven Mindsensor is 3 mana.

In a format with Walking Ballista that body is trash.

Traverse the ulvenwald is another one that can be important to hose.

ffaaggggoott

There's Eldritch Evolution. Who knows? Maybe a switch in the meta will make it useful.

Can't actually do that by game rules, for multiple reasons, the gameplay reason being that the card has to be unable to be differentiated while in the deck, which you very may well shuffle.

Or since it's going to be a 50 cent rare anyway, just have one unsleeved in your card box and put it on the table with a dice after you casted it once. (the one you casted goes back to your deck)

I'd be fine with it.

They said they would change up spoiler season. Good stuff spread throughout, instead of a big opening, ending with shit.

To bad the Gods will all be terrible

isn't that the star war planet?

I think we also have another walker to get spoiled. Pretty sure it's going to be a gate watch member. Maro said that they were going to start pulling back on gate watch walkers in Hour because of how far they work ahead.

R&D wouldn't.
They want to be CLEVER. And FORESHADOW things and go BET YOU TOTALLY DIDN'T GET WHY IT HAD THAT DID YOU despite absolutely nobody having any doubts about it.