Let's talk about Barbarians of Lemuria. Who's played this and what did you think of it?

Let's talk about Barbarians of Lemuria. Who's played this and what did you think of it?

Is it good for longer campaigns or just one-shots?

Did the latest versions (2, 2.5, etc.) make the basic game better or just more complicated?

Also, general Sword & Sorcery/Conan/Elak/Thongor/et al. thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_s7AHDCtljfZkVPMGEwZ1lwdVk/view
spriggans-den.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/BXoLv0.1.pdf
mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I haven't played the Mythic version yet.

Just the original version?

I still can't believe "Thongor" was a real name and not some kind of joke parody name.

Mythic version seems to add a lot of feats (boons/flaws) that veer into Pathfinder territory and don't really add much. I think I prefer the first edition for its simplicity and purity.

This one.

I played original and Legendary.

Is Legendary the same as Mythic? I'm confused.

I am planning on making up a post-post-apocalypse setting, like caves of qud. Gotta use Barbarians of the aftermath to make it work but I guess I will do fine.

How do you guys make character improvement? Also, how do you make fights harder without aiming for a TPK?

>make fights harder without aiming for a TPK

Give the villains restraining magic, weapons and items, like Adhesive Carpets, Electric Manacles, a Spell of Spiny Entanglement, Knockout Gas, etc.

A pool of nearby tar or thick mud can trap PCs without killing them necessarily.

Nets and man-catcher weapons can bring to heel without spilling blood.

>Is Legendary the same as Mythic? I'm confused.

Legendary is like 2nd Edition, Mythic is 3rd Edition

This is the cover for Legendary

Does anyone know if there's a hack for doing pulp sword & planet adventures with Lemuria?

Barbarians of the Future?

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_s7AHDCtljfZkVPMGEwZ1lwdVk/view

Don't know, haven't seen it until now. There are quite a lot of hacks of BoL on rpgnow.

B/XOL - Barbarians & Explorers of Lemuria

spriggans-den.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/BXoLv0.1.pdf

>B/XoL is a hack for the Barbarians of Lemuria roleplaying game that covers additional rules for the exploration of dungeons and wilderness travel inspired by the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert Rules sets (B/X).

That map looks interesting.
Is it Barbarians of Lemuria related?

Not really, but it could be if Thongor got shrunk down to ant-size by an evil necromancer.

I'm sure it happens in one of the novels or comics.

Have an S&S Shirow pic.

Are those sheep-jews being crushed beneath an enormous moustachioed minotaur, with veiled slime fairies in the background?

I don't even...

I'm not sure what 2.5 is and all, but I think Mythic definitely improves the way armor works (though I'd still ignore the mechanical benefits of helmets), and modestly improves the stats (substituting initiative for brawl, though I still think a 2nd defense stat would be the way to go, like in either the quick fixes or fuller house rules here mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A ). Mostly though, Mythic just has additional, secondary material, which is both good and bad. You have access to more shit, which is nice, but it makes the book less streamlined (it's about twice as long, from what I recall), and it isn't strictly necessary to play (shit like siege weapons, details on sailing vessels and so forth, more setting information, and so forth). I kind of feel like the game should be kept short and sweet and that the additional info should be included in a supplement. In any case, if you tweak armor in Legendary, I think you've remedied the biggest shortcoming it has relative to Mythic. Maybe check out the quick fixes thing.

It's a nice little game for action centric fantasy. I'd really like to play as a sorcerer to explore the open ended magic system, but I'm a forever GM.

The one criticism I have is that, because it's so rules light, it can feel a bit samey rolling dice pools at problems. If your players are all invested in hack and slash adventure, it's a minor quibble.

>The one criticism I have is that, because it's so rules light, it can feel a bit samey rolling dice pools at problems.
I wouldn't really call 2d6 a dice pool. Okay, you might roll 3d6 and take either the highest 2 or the lowest 2, but it still doesn't really qualify under the standard usage, I don't think.

Anyway, I would say that BoL is a system that mostly just gets the hell out of your way. This means that there isn't a whole lot of play in the system, itself, because that's not where the fun is supposed to come from. BoL isn't really made to be interesting as a war game and there's not a lot of math to play around with.

That's a feature, not a bug, as far as I am concerned. Tired of overly-complex systems.

Oh, I agree. I mean, as long as that's what you're looking for.

>mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A ).

Will check it out, thanks.

I like the fact that later versions of BoL exclusively use one type of dice. BoL doesn't need the full range of variable dice sizes, doing very well without them, thank you very much. Also the armor in that edition is *BROKEN*. Shit gets a bit out of hand in Legendary, but it's nowhere near as bad as that.

>Also, how do you make fights harder without aiming for a TPK?
You could always extend the point at which folks die, leading them to get KO'd just as easily, but without the same danger of kicking the bucket.