Monsters

Best monster, in your opinion.

Any setting, any reason. "Can beat anything" is as good a reason as "Most versatile for a DM" is as good as "Makes me moist" is as good as "I fucking love this picture of it".

What, to you, is the best monster?

Other urls found in this thread:

gastrophobia.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whatever the fuck these guys are called. Anything this guy draws, actually. There's this sort of innocent creepy whimsy he brings to all his monster stuff.

Laplace's demon.

Griffin, griffon, and gryphon because fuck yeah.

I heard them called wendigo once upon a time.

Call me old fashioned.

They can be social or physical challenges, they can be found in any biome, Theyre extremely physically powerful magical and intelligent which is fairly unique.

It helps that aesthetically they tighten my trousers.

I feel bad saying that because i know people unironically fap to dragons

Maximized Shivering Touch Greatreach Blast, dragon is no more.

I'm actually a fan of constructs. Not just normal golems, but necron-style cryptek wraiths and shit. Magic runes behind heavy plating, creaking orichalium cables and tubes pumping power, a steaming engine in the heart of a titanic machine, twin Gates to opposed Planes fueling the thing eternally.

How the fuck do you fap ironically? That's some sick shit.

I agree on the constructs, but I'm not opposed to unintelligent ones like golems. They're very simple yet versatile, and it's fun to see what kind of exotic materials they can be made from (Lead? Uranium? Cake?)

Also mimics.

I love big, stupid and calm giants. Like whales but with legs. Especially when someone sees this and just says "Why dont we strap guns and turrets and shit to this?"

Owlbear, muhfuggin' owlbear. Big, burly, psychopaths that can smell your fear.

And they like it. It smells like lady-owlbear sex-jelly and licorice whips.

They are the thing in the woods that will hunt your party. Play dead to enact revenge later.

A feathery, furry bundle of spite and no fucks to give.

They will hide in trees and shit on your party in the middle of the night. They will freight train right through your marching order in the day and rape your hireling in the nostril. They will taunt your character when he goes off to piss, hooting low and soft, a promise that they're there, that they're watching.

And when your party gets cocky, thinks "Man, we're tough. Screw owlbears."? Then they call the pack. And ain't no breaks on that rape train.

Owlbears.

Random item mimic. Door mimic, chest mimic, cellar mimic, sword mimic, ladder mimic, and my favorite even though I only used it once; toilet mimic.

And for some reason my players don't trust me~

Snakes are always interesting because you can combine so many things with them and because they are relatively weak, slithering creatures yet they are made powerful by their venomous bite.

a couple years ago I was contemplating using John Kenn's monster art as the basis for a setting for a Monsters & Other Childish Things game, so I decided to sorta catalog the various beasts in his art into loose categories based on their appearance, for example the ones in the picture you posted I cataloged as being "Trolls", I'll need to do some double checking as to the rest of the types I had though

>relatively weak
>most common garden snakes kill animals their own size by constriction alone
>nearly any constricting snake bigger than two feet could kill you by wrapping around your neck

How the fuck are you going to let a two foot snake slither up you and around your neck

i mean, try a five-foot+ boa, or a python, in some knee-high mud... my point is snakes aren't weak

Harpies like the one from The Last Unicorn

I met the author a couple years ago and actually cried in front of him because the description of Celano is one of my favorite passages in literature

Heavy sleepers. Won't know until it's too late.

Dare you enter my magical realm?

I love to use kobolds.

Miners and engineers like dwarfs, they serve dragons and are dragon-looking, and their lawful evil nature lets them be both an ally or an enemy in whatever situation need be.

Plus traps, always traps, Tucker's Kobolds style traps

The bad transparency job was bothering me so I fixed it.

I had my players scared shitless of these guys. Rats are a invisible, ever present part of life. Whether you are in the city, country, or wilderness, there are always rats. Watching and waiting.

kek this comic

That sounds awesome.

We are clearly just not ironic enough to understand the ways of the ironic fap.

Yes please.

The upper echelons of irony should always include measures of sincerity. And if the satirical practice is executed faithfully it will achieve something bona fide in its own right regardless. Through an intense commitment bordering on religious devotion to the absolutely inane, absurd, or plain fucking stupid, a very different kind of sincerity begins to materialize. One of reverence to the ridiculous. You begin to "mean it," but what exactly it is you mean is never quite what appears on the surface, and is utterly inaccessible to obtuse and literal minds. That you "mean it" then becomes inseparable from the joke, and additional rich strata of humor may be stripped aggressively from this irreconcilable truth.

>Clinging on.
>It takes off
>Oh Fuck
>Chug stamina replenishment
>It's not landing
>I'm 200 feet in the air, holding on tight. Start stabbing to try and make it land
>It suddenly dies
>Fall out of the sky so hard the screen goes red and I've got 12 out of 880 HP
>There's like a thousand enemies around me
>"WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS!"

I FUCKING LOVE GOLEMS

I like hydras. They're a big carnivorous lizard plus a bonus scary thing (extra heads!), but unlike dragons they haven't accumulated a bunch of other baggage.

I also like shadowy monsters with horse's skulls. I think I stole that from an image that used to get reposted on Veeky Forums. But horse skulls are awesomely freaky.

This can't be real

As an American//Canadian halfbreed, I believe it.

Needlemen or Dopplegangers are bae

Monsters that fuck with time are cool especially if the way they do is unique.

Especially if you can fuck the time right back at them

Was this a recent thing? Suddenly, I've been seeing references to the Fault of whatever everywhere.

Recent-ish.

That's one of those ones that rebounds back into consciousness every so often.

/x/, when not raided, is highly cyclical.

Dragons meet all of those criteria save for the "moistness." Do you really expect people on Veeky Forums to get moist instead of hard?

>killing a griffon as, presumably, a fighter
>at a low enough level to have only 880 HP
I'm impressed.

The most dreadful monster of all. And, not coincidentally, the best antagonist.

I like demons and I cannot lie.

The red, horned kind, that come with fire and brimstone and want nothing but to fuck everything up.

I prefer devils, the tempters and the deal makers. Nowadays players bitch and moan but if you have the right group then the look of fear/wonder they get when they realize that the innocuous task they performed in exchange for all that sweet gear accidentally set off a huge cluster fuck is great. Then they get to set off and try to fix it. Fun stuff, easy to write.

bulettes are the ultimate killers. i've always found that things with a burrow speed are difficult to deal with and dragging an uppity player eighty feet underground to suffocate is especially satisfying.

Honestly, dragons. But since someone already pointed that out: Shoutout to skellies for always being there when the DM needs them in so many varieties and CRs.

Giant sea monster.
You can be really creative with their design (Kraken, Leviathan, sea serpent, crab-like, giant fish,tortoise, a mix off some or all of that), and also for the dramatic entrance effect you can make with them.

I, too, remember when Dresden Codak was somewhat entertaining.

Overall? Hags.

>spells
>similar to, but usually tougher than, ogres
>intelligent
>as tricky as you want them to be
>as "rip you up with their bare hands" as you want them to be
>no real limits on their population if near a population center
>can be reasoned with
>can be unreasonable
>can be fought by low level PCs
>can challenge high level PCs (in 5e they can have 12th level casting and lair actions, in AD&D and 3e they can use shit like Forcecage)
>control all sorts of other kinds of monsters
>night hags are the helpful merchants of the lower planes, making deals with liches and fiends alike
>perfect thing to bridge the high level and low level plot with

Drawbacks:
>night hags aren't a kind of hag pre-5e
>their fluff is kind of edgy in 5e

that would be fapping post-ironically

Skellies with experienced and talented commander.

>experienced
Ara ara~

what's the sauce of these comics?

is this webcomic still ongoing? It was pretty cute but it just meandered on for so long I lost interest

>how's the family?
>my wife died of hysteria

I can't tell if Codak is a comedy genius or obscene hack having the punchline to his comic be a complete non sequitur.

That's not a non-sequitur, it's an answer to the question.

Gelatinus Cube. Nothing is more amusing to me than a monster that's nothing more than a predator specialized to hide in dungeons and create a food source out of the constant flow of stupid assed adventurers seeking gold and glory. The fact that they are so base and mindless only makes it better. Mimics are awesome for the same reason but not as good as gelatinus cubes.

Oh fuck, the Centipede!
One of the best characters in Mieville's Dial H.

Flumph.
It represents the weirdness and absurdity that I like in my games.

Yuan-ti. All the fukken Yuan-ti!

stiched together zombie golems or zombie variations of monsters.

it makes for a large intimidating fight that is more drawn out than other fights due to higher hp but less damage, it is a good excuse to add special attacks that you might find fun or interesting, like the stiched in beholder eye opens hazily and fires a lazer or maybe even got a zombiefied dragons head, allowing for a necrotic dragonbreath.
then again, i love using undead, they come in massive variety, does not create any moral dilemmas and makes the group feel like heroes. and you know that past the shambling horde is a powerful necromancer or a lich. it's clichy, but the best kind of clichy

>Touch
This is why d&d, especially that edition, is such shit. Let's be veritable walking gods that is never challenged anytime, anywhere! Why? We spent so much TIME and EFFORT to get here, struggling every step of the way!

Pathetic.

*gentle gasp*

This was always my favorite monster growing up because of those dumb goofy eyes
Also humans, because they are the real monsters

Why magical realm?

I want to say but it's also my fetish.

Fucking Aboleths. They're the perfect Greater Scope Villain with their patient scheming spanning millenia, they're brilliant when it comes to creating intrigue by manipulating NPCs, they can have a wide variety of enslaved minions and forcing the party to gear up and march into a fucking ocean to face this monstrous threat makes for a truly epic climactic confrontation.

One of my favourite things to do as a DM is to have an Aboleth's plans interfere with the plans of another antagonist group, like an enemy kingdom or a cult of Dracolich-worshipers. It makes for very interesting drama while the players decide how best to take advantage of the situation.

Plus the 5e Aboleth's design makes my willy bigger.

This is a perfect description of how I feel about Tails Got Trolled. Thank you for putting it into words.

In my opinion, you can't have a sword and sorcery story with dinosaurs. They combine the mythical and the historical, allowing the players to imagine not just fantasies but epic counterfactual adventures. They open the campaign to kaiju battles, weird dinosaur cults, and time wizard shenanigans. Dinosaurs come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes to pose various challenges: from outwitting a Utah-raptor to surviving a stampede of triceratops. Let's not forget the epic victory won by defeating a tyrannosaurus. Especially in a low-magic campaign, a gritty hand to tooth battle with a dinosaur cannot be beat!

*without dinosaurs. Left an important word absent

DRR DRR DRR

I hate nudists too but I wouldn't call them monsters, just deviants.

>Rats are a invisible, ever present part of life. Whether you are in the city, country, or wilderness, there are always rats. Watching and waiting.
Well if that's what you're going for then dire rats lack a little subtlety. They're basically the bridge between normal hit'em till they're dead monsters and something different.

For something REALLY creepy, insidious, and potentially scary I'd suggest looking at cranium rats and moon rats.
Cranium rats are far more intelligent than normal rats and act as spies for illithids and even as the eyes and ears of their god directly.
Moon rats appear to be normal rats but as the moon becomes more full they become smarter and stronger till at the full moon they rival people. Furthermore, they remember previous moons and can act on long-term plans a month at a time, so subtle that the connection likely won't be realised before it's too late.

Also, The Enigma of Amigara Fault got an official English publishing by Viz last year. They've actually been publishing a lot of Junji Ito's stuff lately.

What are they like?

>tfw there's never any love for the noble sea-owl

Liches are my favorite. They're like a better vampire. They (most of the time) dont require fuel, they're immortal, they dont have any stupid weaknesses and they are freaking magic. "Oh, but what if you want to have 'the sex'?" Just magic up a solution of use a glamore. Boom! Sex having lich!

Also becoming a lich is totally on the individual, theres no back ally attack that turns you into one like a vamp, ghost or werewolf. You can't blame anyone but yourself.

The deepspawn, killing mid level pcs since the 80s.

gastrophobia.com/

Those look very little like wendigos. More like leshies.

I'm going to throw up

Damn user, I don't know if this is pasta but you nailed Veeky Forums right there.

THESE MOTHERFUCKERS

>THIBPTHIBPTHIBPTHIBPTHIBPTHIBP!!!

What page is this? I stopped reading when she drank the vial.

I don't know, most monsters are pretty cool. I guess whichever one I'm fighting at the moment.

Trivia's pretty fuckin cute.

I remember threads where faggots were making a brawler/vote class based on the sole inspiration brought about by this image.

Fucking vore fags.

Just binged this whole comic, pretty neat stuff.

Left picture is art from the novel, top right is from the comic that was recently published, bottom right was from the movie made in the 80s.

While the pictures are okay representation of her because they capture the her hideousness, but it can't quite capture the wonder and awful beauty found in something so terrible.

But I'm probably just weird for thinking that.

No wonder the cave men are stealing that girl, she is DUMB THICC

First time I realized that bird has tits and shit in that move, which I watched quite a bit as a kid. Then again there was that scene with the tree so I'm honestly not so surprised but still.

Triple boobs on birds. Though that's also why I kind of like the novel art instead. The head is way more interesting in the movie version.

Shut dude I think we have an elder clown here.

Hmm, could it be because there's no comprehensive description of the Wendigo?

I like owlbears as well.

He's just quoting a shitty webcomic.

Lamias because
a) sexy snek
b)can fit in ANY role for ANY game, they are truly the most versatile monster:
Magically inclined with arabian magic and rituals, I personally favor them using a lot of status-inducing magic such as confuse, sleep or charm
Fighting inclined, with dangerous claws or with several arms wielding multiple weapons
With guns in sci-fy settings
Poisonous types
Underwater types
Civilized ones who can be reasoned with
Burrowing underground types
Winged ones
Types that are half dragon instead of half snake for higher levels
Even ones whose lower part is that of a centipede instead of a snake
I even have a lamia techpriest in one of my settings and its oddly fitting

Seriously, you can't go wrong with lamias, other monsters that I love include harpies(but admittedly more of a magical realm than anything), skeletons, ghosts and robots (humanoid kind with guns and weapons), but none of them come close to the versatility that lamias can bring