/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: →

>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A

>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/its-in-the-cards-x1000-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question:
What was the worst misstep White Wolf/Onyx Path ever made with their books?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12699307
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

strawpoll.me/12699307

>What was the worst misstep White Wolf/Onyx Path ever made with their books?

From recent memory it would have to be the way they bungled Beast before reworking it.

>Beasts are doing bad things, but it's for a good reason and you just have to trust them, guys!
>heroes are the bad guys no matter what, went so far to compare them to male rights activists and internet trolls

I think that was the attempt to aggressively embrace SJW bullshit culture before their community told them to fuck off. Now Onyx Path does passive aggressive SJW bullshit.

Gypsy/Beast.

>I think that was the attempt to aggressively embrace SJW bullshit culture before their community told them to fuck off.

Don't forget M20, much as we'd all like to.

Week of Nightmares and Beast

Hey /wodg/, newbie to the games here. I'm considering running whatever the latest version of VtM is for my group since we're looking for a new system to sink our teeth into and we've all played the Bloodlines video game, but I realized that I don't really know what the "average" Vampire campaign is supposed to entail in terms of what the system expects players to be doing in a standard session.

In D&D, players typically go to a dungeon to fight monsters, and in Shadowrun you're hired by Mr. Johnson to do corporate espionage. Am I right in assuming that the standard expectation in V:tm entails the local Prince sending you to deal with the Sabbat or his political rivals in some way, or is that unique to the video game?

Masters of the Art for obvious reasons.

Who the fuck is voting for mage?

>Am I right in assuming that the standard expectation in V:tm entails the local Prince sending you to deal with the Sabbat or his political rivals in some way, or is that unique to the video game?

Not necessarily because it's more of a social game, but it's a good starting point.

Ha, Mage is beating Vamp.

Mage will always beat Vampire.

How, I'm a magefag but I cede that both vamps and werefags are better at fucking

So they actually fixed Beast?

Sort of.
Some mages will beat vampires, but most vamps will beat some mages.

Remember, vampires cum blood that when introduced to the body causes the sensation of an orgasm wrapped in heroin.

Uh huhhhhhhhh

Blood bond + The Kiss + Being able to buff dexterity and stamina beyond human levels without paradox risk.

World of Darkness games don't really have a standard template to fall back on. Yes, each line comes with their moral issues and existential crises that you can use, but they are more plot hooks than a template like a dungeon crawl is to DnD or a breaking an entering job for Shaodwrun.

I'd say talk to your players. Ask them what they want to experience as vampires and build a game around that

All it takes is Life & Mind to cause the most intense pleasure known to man and beyond.

Vampires really have to improvise.

That's why I said some mages are definitely better. But not all mages have those spheres/arcana and not all Mages have the dots to do that.

The powers I listed are just the standard abilities for every vampire that exists from the moment of embrace.

Ech not really. There is still a lot of issues both with the idea behind and narrative that the game tries to sell. People scream SJW but I'm a left winger and I find the game disgusting.

Outside of creepy shit game suffers from lack of direction, weakass antagonists, mechanical fuckups(I hit him with a building) and so on.

There is some stuff there that can be salvaged and beasts would make great antagonist splat for all other supernaturals but as it is there is little to like there(outside of Lair with is a nice idea and expansion on Demons Bolthole)

Let's be serious here. Any mage can make sex into a mind blowing experience. It just takes a bit of creativity. If anything, the hardest would be for Moros and Obrimos mages but with careful application of certain arcana, you can get some crazy shit done even with 2 dots.

>People scream SJW but I'm a left winger and I find the game disgusting.

You can be a left winger without being an SJW senpai

SJW are a specific kind of crazy authoritarian leftie

I feel the risk of someone paradox-ing my boner would put me off.

True.

Anyway at the very core concept of a monster pretending to be human is quite workable(this is what vampire is about in part) but the execution is flawed because authors got too cought up in their own bullshit(and didn't proof read)

I mean, let's not pretend proofreading or formatting was ever their strong side. Blood & Smoke, before it became Requiem 2E, had some horrendously amateurish editing mistakes that genuinely made me think had anyone actually checked the damn thing before they OKed the final print.

So i'm thinking about running a Prohibition era Vtm campaign for my play group, and starting them all at ellis island as immigrants.

Whats some fun shit I could have in the city aside from mobsters of all flavors and forms

Keep in mind prohibition draw heavily from puritanism at its core, even if the movement itself was a joke. That could be some serious potential for Hunter interference as Bureau of Prohibition may not have been the ONLY new bureau to come around, if you get my meaning.

The core concept overlapping with various other splats was part of the problem.
It had a lot of similarities with various games without having a clear identity of its own.

You have no purpose and sort of mooch purposes from various other splats, devaluing them, while not doing anything interesting yourself.

Beast is the equivalent of the attention seeking That guy in a group.

Did that guy doing a chapter-by-chapter review of Beast on FATAL and Friends ever finish it?

Would a Tremere sorcerer be able to hold his/her own when facing off against a Hermetic wizard?

Face to face with a prepared mage? Unlikely.

Also all this crossover bullcrap with beasts thinking themselves kin to other splats. What the fuck does promethean have to do with a werewolf? And why are mummies and demons excluded from the big happy family

But why though? Thaumaturgy is potent on its own and can be devised in similar ways to the Spheres. There are a lot of Paths to choose from, not to mention other forms of sorcery entirely such as Koldunism.

I can agree on that mages edge vampires out when It comes to versatility, but blood magic has a lot of firepower.

Because true magic is just so much more flexible. Assuming both combatants are made with the same xp, it's just so skewed in the Mages favour.

>Also all this crossover bullcrap with beasts thinking themselves kin to other splats.

It doesn't have anything to do with how others relate to everyone else, Beasts think all other supernaturals are lesser Beasts, Or, in case of Mages, Hunters, etc they were touched by Beats. It's basically a shitty excuse for "everyone inherently likes Beasts on some level" because god knows they need to be even more special snowflakes.

Isn't there magic that anyone can learn as a mortal and doesn't work off paradox. I believe reading you can even carry it over to mage, perhaps other splats too?

Anyone know or have details on what I'm grasping at?

Also the Shroud is stellaris is pretty much how I think of mages casting their mind into the universe.

One more question in the pile. Anyone ever do anything on a micro scale like as pictured, either as a plot point, adventure, or set piece?

this is very mary-sueish thing that "everyone likes her and if he does not he is a jerk". How can a group of writers(one obviously won't notice this) look at something that obvious and not notice they are falling for that trope

So I haven't read shit about Beast, and just going by the shit I see mentioned here, I have no intention to do that anyway, but can the fuckers from Beast be used in other splats? Say vampires or hunters fucking them up.

Mortal magic is just plain sorcery. You can upgrade to vampirism, lacing it with Vitae becoming a blood sorcerer in the process.

Or you can be extraordinarily lucky and awaken, becoming a mage and gaining access to true magick. Sorcery doesn't cross over to mage becomes it automatically incorporates into the true magick of their Paradigm.

Sure. Beasts do make some solid antagonists IMHO. Ones that no one will cry about

>Thaumaturgy is potent on its own and can be devised in similar ways to the Spheres
It takes years for the Kindred to improvise with their blood magics, as it is a Static practice. Mage true magic(k) is Dynamic and can improvise on the spot based on your belief / Paradigm.

>blood magic has a lot of firepower
It does have a lot of oomph, but not as much as you would think. The only actual "edge" vampires have with their sorcery is the fact they don't have anything hampering them, while mages have to suffer and deal with Paradox.

From what little I understand, Beasts torment/torture regular humans for no reason in particular, so would it be a plausible setup if one of their kind fucked with any particular vampire's (ancillae or elder) territory/chosen feeding spot and then said vampires got together a group of others to find out more about the cause of the disturbance, maybe even deal with it?

The whole point of the Tremere origins was that they lost a great deal of their original power.

The logical answer would be no.

Well they torment people for food but yeah vampire would probably notice after some time that people in the neighborhood are kinda off. This is something that ancillae or elder would probably want to check out. That or some weird hunter(hero) appearing from time to time and looking for something or someone. This would ping any vampires danger-sense

Changeling surpassed werewolf and vampire. What makes changelings the sex gods of wod?

Both Mage lines.

They're the living fantasies of the fae.

>The whole point of the Tremere origins was that they lost a great deal of their original power.

Except they didn't?

Tremere was an idiot who bargained for the wrong thing at the wrong time. He and his brethren much and more.

- Lost the support of the other Houses of the Order of Hermes
- Lost access to the Horizon Realms
- Most distrusted vampire clan in the modern nights
- Lost the power of True Magic and had to resort to bastardizing mortal sorcery with the shitty side effect that spells consume the substance that keeps your body working.
- Regulated to only being able to operate during the night
- Head of House is a lobotomized shifting worm perpetually fighting to not be consumed from the inside out.
- Only vampire clan with no Elders dating before BC
- Fire reacts to your body like your body is made of paper, sunlight is worse
- You have a primal manifestation in the back of your head telling you to consume and destroy that you constantly have to keep in check for hundreds of years.

Tremere was an idiot who bargained for the wrong thing at the wrong time. He and his brethren lost much and more.

Changelings are the best at getting fucked

The Fairest also make for the best husbandos.

I don't know what M20 was because I never managed to read through it.
The purple prose, man. Every concept repeated with slightly different flourished language, ad nauseam, in pure White Wolf page-padding style cubed. I recently tried to read the chapter on NBephandi. It took three pages to get across this concept: "People think the Nephandi serve demons and other infernal masters, but not really, they are just nihilists who want to have the last laugh on reality"
Reading M20 besides the rules and the Tradition descriptions is quite literally a waste of time.

Also, fucking magick.

Also the introductory fiction very ironically gets across what Mage is really about: pages of Matrix tier "philosophical" drivel, some dream sequence comprehensible only to the author then everything is on fire.

For me Vampire should be about personal horror. Questing works and is necessary to kick the game around when in a lull, but players should be happy enough exploring and interacting with the game world and each other (n-no homo)

What's up with Tremere's body and Tzimisce? I always thought it was Saulot who was fighting to possess it, not Tzimisce

I don't think anyone can reliably take on a sufficiently skilled mage of equivalent experience.

>- Only vampire clan with no Elders dating before BC

Giovanni?

Saulot is in Tremere's body, Tremere is in Goratrix' body, and Goratrix is stuck in a mirror.

Which is blatant bullshit, as nephandi are the ass slaves of dark gods. Some of the Euthanatos are Active Nihilists, seeking to topple orthodoxies so people can try again.

The thing is that the Tremere used primarily Tzimisce blood to fuel their own transformation into vampires. Hence, the Eldest would have dominion over any with Tzimisce blood, regardless of how transmutated it might be in Tremere's body.

>Weakness: Horrible parenting skills

Always gets me laughing.

Anyway, do other splats have funny shit like this? If so, post it.

That's the outdated version.

>the sheet is clearly meant for VtM
>you keep forcing your autism everywhere

Holy shit, how fucking sad is your real life? How fucking impotent and fat and hideously ugly do you have to be to do this kind of shit 247/, for months upon months?

Are you incapable of actually being a decent human being and not shitting up everywhere you step? Are you that fucking mentally impaired that you get autistic rage every time you see someone talk about something other than the things that you specifically focus on?

>incoherent rambling

Calm your tits. Even magefags don't take bait half as hard as you do.

Do the magefags coordinate all of their shitposts whilst mouth breathing over Skype?

This is becoming unnecessary.

Has that one user found that one VtM music album by Bart Dijkman yet?

They don't have good writers?

FUUUUUU, I really should look whether threads have finished.

Life is Strange. The main character, Max, is basically an uninitiated Mage with a strong affinity for the Temporis/Temporal/Time sphere, no grasp of paradox, and she has a massive crush on her childhood galpal who dresses and acts like a Brujah wannabe.

Scarily, it was the hightlight of my recent gaming experiances. The feels left me with that deep melancholy that only certain games do for days afterwards.

...appropriated.

I actually enjoyed it, far more than We Eat Ass and All Our Friends Are Transexual Thinbloods. It isn't too biased in its approach to social issues, in this case the refugee crisis, but allows the player to be.

For example, that screen you posted, but on the other side is a small dream sequence where the
female PC was (groped/)molested by a male refugee and wanred no one would believe her and call her racist. It also doesn't paint the 'old wiccan style' mages as being all fluffy and justified, either.

All that said, it might be because I played it after All Our Friends Are Pyscopaths, and We Feed Indiscriminately.

DaveB is fine. Whoever was in charge of Demon also did good job. So they can if they want to

I think it's more of a problem with company direction and obsession over being inclusive. I mean, White Wolf was always progressive and that reflected in having more female roleplayers than probably any other game at the time, but now it's devolved into full nonsense and Beast was basically the culmination of that before they scaled back following fan outrage.

Oops you are correct.

>And why are mummies and demons excluded from the big happy family
Arisen are excluded? I thought it was just demons since demons are creatures of cold alien intelligence, not occult spook.

>All Our Friends Are Pyscopaths, and We Feed Indiscriminately.
Would you be so kind as to elaborate?

>her childhood galpal who dresses and acts like a Brujah wannabe.

This will never not be funny.

The demon guy is also the beast guy. He clearly can't be trusted on wholly new properties and must update WoD to CofD forever. How would you update Gypsies to the Chronicles of Darkness?

If anyone's currently still working on the Vegas Freehold, I had a couple of ideas.
Free feel to shoot them down if you guys don't like them.

Court Rotation is not as fixed as the seasonal courts, but instead is a fairly well kept secret known only known to the Rose and Seneschal Courts and current and previous Kings/Queens of the triumvirate.
There IS a Rose. In fact, there have been many, over the years.
Each individual ruler may maintain their Court's control for as long as the Rose holds its last petal.
As it starts to die, the protections of the Freehold start to fade, and they cannot be replenished until that ruler travels deep into the Hedge (usually assisted by a couple of specially trained Rose Court members) to find a perfect Rose, and return, offering it to the individual in the following Court, who they decide to be the next ruler.
If the ruler refuses to undertake the search for the rose, then the freehold's situation will deteriorate, and it is the Seneschal Court's responsibility to apply pressure to him until he takes the hunt.
If he flat up refuses, and disaster is imminent. The leader of the Rose Court (the Enchantress) is obligated to take matters into her own hands. Assumedly killing the ruler, and seeking the Rose herself. However this will cause chaos in the Freehold until the new Rose is brought back.
Thus the Rose Court motto "There's always another Rose".

In terms of at what stage the Rose starts to fail is dependant upon the actions of the ruler, or time. The Beast Court generally start to become too cold and callous, pursuing control and order at the cost of compassion. The Beauty Court generally becomes too trusting, letting danger befall the Freehold in their willingness to see the good in everyone, or their unwillingness to take decisive action. The Gaston Court always fails when their leader completely and utterly fucks up on a gigantic scale, when he bites off more than he can chew.

I've watched it 4 times and couldn't grasp how the fuck she managed to hurt herself

I think the deal with Demon is its totally out there and unlike anything else among the new game lines. Beast, on the other hand, clearly didn't even need to exist and is just them cobbling together pieces that could've been spread out among existing lines with some additional books. Beast-like creatures could've easily been included in the Antagonists or Night Horrors books.

Extremely unlucky ricochet.

Ricochet. Even the universe hates her.

I've been playing it for the first time last night and now today. I love Chloe to fucking death, she's so tryhard edgy teen. I hope Max can get blazed out of her mind with her later on. She's so sensitive, she needs to shut the world out a bit.

I can't think of a single vampire in the entire story that feeds in a remotely subtle or Masqurade sustaining way, the majority of their feeding likely to result in grusome deaths that would be major stories on the evening news. The majority also kill for the sake of it, and one characters turns two random associates because she doesn't want them to die.

This could all be a one off, in the Anarch Free State (and what a glorious review that is, considering:) and while it could be a one off, it's looking like a opart of the progressing metaplot will be thinbloods siring like rabbits, and doing and killing whatever they want, and the fallout this will have, while somehow making it a great and noble thing and the traditions being some terrible crime.

Heh, preach it. It's one of the reasons I loved it. It wears the skin of the left in the same way a serial killer would.

I don't think you know what "the left" is.

>nogunz faggot gets a gun
Whoever wrote this knew exactly what they were doing and it's great.

>tfw live in a no guns country
Kill me

Kek. Yeah, we'll go with that. You fucking got me.

The game is full of that sort of shit, and it was glorious.

I think he's talking about the hypocrisy, in regards to her statement about guns. Much like how the left talks all the time about gun control, but once Donald Trump won the elections in the USA, there was a sudden surge in the purchase of firearms, in otherwise normally left-wing states. Or maybe I'm completely missing the point of what he was talking about.

No, that was part of it, and the other shots the game takes, such as the 'unreasonable and controlling' stepdad turning out to be one of the few trustworthy and reliable characters by the end. It's too much to get into here, really. It's a bloody essay all on its own.

How political are the clans in Requiem? Some material makes it seem like clans have some internal organization and can form political blocs, and then there's the position of Priscus and such, but then the rest of the game makes clan seem politically irrelevant, with covenant and personal inclinations dominating all.

The left... it is weak people who want to be taken cared of by daddy government, and hates strong men so they want daddy government to force itself on the strong men, castrating their strength and bringing them down to the level of the leftists. Am I close?

I guess the nWoD answer would be 'Whatever you like :^) '. I'm plowingt through 1e nWod Vampire right now and the vagueness is starting to tick me off.

Doesn't necessarily have to be true, just what Beasts think is true.

Yes, even doing a follow-up on Conquering Heroes. The archive hasn't been updates in months, however.