Of the new cards in Amonkhet which do you guys think are the top 5 likely ones to see a bit of modern play?

Of the new cards in Amonkhet which do you guys think are the top 5 likely ones to see a bit of modern play?

Not that one. 3 Mana is too much.

I know not that one, I'm saying other cards you'd think would

Probably none. Gideon has the highest chance, but even he seems not enough.

That XR destroy X target artifacts might make its way into some sideboards.

Green god. Harsh Mentor

I dunno, red already has ancient grudge and shatterstorm.

1 mana 3/2 deathtouch flyer seems decent

easy enough to cast on turn 2 with a push

You mean just like how Delver is such a played card?

Personally I'd rather play the X spell than Shatterstorm. Sometimes you only have three mana and hitting the two best artifacts is good enough.

>Harsh mentor
Obviously
>archfiend of ifnir
100% in living end
>other assorted random cyclers
might make the living end cut
>pull from tomorrow
Grixis gets a draw x
>vizier of deferment
blink shenanigans with b/w eldrazi or snapcaster
>by force
Sideboard
>cascading cataracts
indestructible colorless land with possibly relevant ability

There's some other gimmicky shit that might see play if people can reliably break them, but these seem the most likely

1. Shadow of the grave

Tutor-able, powerful, aggressively costed.

2. Harsh mentor

Helps burn put even more pressure on certain decks, back breaking against decks with low removal counts.

3. Bone picker

3/2 for 1 is great no matter how you slice it, turning on morbid will be slightly challenging but the deathtouch makes sure it stays relevant in grindy games even as a top deck.

4. Gideon/Glorious End

Putting these together since they go in the same type of isochron/grace deck that now has doubles of all it's key cards and an extra counterspell/timewalk hybrid card.

5.Harvest Season

The ceiling on this card is fucking nuts, potentially slotting into existing elf decks or forming a new archetype if all the pieces are able to be put together, although not being readily tutor-able is a problem with hand disruption being as good as it is in modern.

Strictly better Fate Forgotten goes in my sideboard.

This little guy will see play, atleast as a sideboard card.

>glorious end during upkeep
>gideon
>???
>snap caster during upkeep
>GE again during next upkeep
>Torrential Gearhulk during next upkeep

Harsh Mentor is the only one I can see actually being a meaningful addition.

Bone Picker is a cute Delver like creature, but I doubt it will become actually useful.

Watchers of the Dead might become a neat sideboard option.

I like Soul-Scar Mage and Faiure // Comply, but I don't think they're actually that good.

Shattering Spree isn't better?

>you mean like how very popular card is played?
Yes?

>implying he wont be a 4-of in RDW or burn
Yeah, he comes out a little late to stop all fetches, but hitting motherfuckers for 5 every time they fetch a shock land is an auto-include.

>4R, destroy 4 target artifacts
>RRRR, destroy 4 target artifacts

one is better, one is actually usable

Spree is a fucking ton of red mana, which only a feew decks can reliably make use of.

I missed Archfiend of Ifnir, that has to be usable by Living End.

Not in modern, it isnt. And this is even a turn slower than delver

He's objectively worse than eidolon and is terrible if drawn late.

He'll only slot into a RW hatebear shell

Nah I think he sideboards nicely into really any red deck. Turns off a lot of combos, and just wrecks affinity

You can watch a LIVE play of the new cards at...

twitch/loadingreadyrun

now THIS is shillposting

thanks based shill

harsh mentor will probably go into Burn sideboard almost immediately.

this also blocks tarmogoyf/death's shadow/tasigur/etc. I think it's more comparable to baleful strix, but instead of a cantrip you get 3x the clock, also sometimes this costs only 1. This card might be asking too much though you have to kill a creature main phase AND have the mana to cast this, and that most likely means you are tapping out which delver/control style decks don't really want to do. It could certainly end up just being draft chaff, but I think its worth testing