Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/d5ygf11
strawpoll.com/z6wx4x4
clyp.it/g25orvh4
clyp.it/c2l5w2hu
clyp.it/k2csjpsf
clyp.it/dx30rgnp
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tozi1a2p8u0
walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/2017/04/stronghold-expansion-traders-merchants.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where in the player's handbook does it say that rangers get advantage on all rolls in their favored terrain?

You dont, you get double prof to Int and Wis checks related to your terrain.

Then where the fuck do ranger players keep getting that idea from? I've heard two different people suggest it now.

If you were to change spells that last 1 minute to 'lasts for two rounds of combat' or for one combat round, how bad would you fuck up the balance?

If that's not an option how do you usually keep track of small amounts of time like minutes?

Prolly confusing it with advatage from Favored Enemy or some of the stuff revised ranger gets.

Shit like that happens in my group too. I had 4 seperate people and myself thinking that sleeping in heavy armor penalized you but turns out there is nothing like that but i swear i read it in the PHB and wasnt just remembering 3.5

Also it's what Laura off Critical Role thinks favored terrain does so probably started spreading from there.

A round is 6 seconds, a spell lasting a minute would last 10 combat rounds. Combat doesn't usually last that long.
Outside of combat is someone casts a spell with a duration of a minute, there's probably a specific action they're trying to do while the spell is active and so we resolve it, and I decide if the action took a minute, or more.

Question: Is Fighter 14/Kensei Monk 6 multiclassing as broken as I think it is?

I was just confused about the word round but after double checking it makes sense. Combatants take turns in the round.

Probably majorly, spells lasting a minute you want lasting for more than 12 seconds. Hold person is one. There would be much fewer applications. Spells such as spiritual weapon, would just not be good. Basically the selection of spells everyone picks would go to instant spells. Nobody would pick concentration spells that don't last either hours cause it takes an action and only lasts for a for this turn, the turn you used your action on, and the next.

>Multiclassing UA
What do you think?

No it's not.

That is a fair point.

I mean, most of the insanity stems from unclear language/miswriting in the Kensei Monk's first ability that says that all weapons you are proficient in (Read as: All weapons when you fighter multi-class) are considered Kensei weapons.

Spells that last for one minute already last for 10 rounds of combat. One round = 6 seconds.

And, on top of that, the Magic Weapons feature that Kensei monks get AND the almost constant +2 bonus to your AC while in combat if you spend your bonus action doing an unarmed strike.

Probably not that bad still, the most you will be doing is 2d6 reroll 1s, you get a Punch attack but that's at the cost of not second winding or bonus actions that come with being a fighter.

What I think the biggest bonus to the Kensai is forgoing weapon attacks for +2 AC. They attack with an unarmed strike instead of their weapon. At those higher levels you have to choose between 7d6 reroll 1s and 2s plus mods or 4d6 plus mods. You either cut your damage by a lot, not using your magic weapon, or gain a measly 2 AC.

Full monks get the bonus cause it's 2d10 plus mods.

It's not insane like you think it is, you are a d8 hit dice with a big weapon, Paladins kill faster and fighters kill longer. The multiclass is nothing special.

Yep. I was just being retarded and I'm new to this, I've played two whopping sessions. I mixed the terms of round and turn.

Are there any good youtube channels/series of people playing 5th ed? I want to see what's new but would also like to see it in action rather than watching people list off what's new.

Critical Role

Fair enough. Though, I do appreciate the near universal Finesse, as that just sounds great in general. Not to mention that the 5 - 6 ability score increases means your save DC for Stunning Strike can be massive.

What said but keep in mind they have switched from 3.5 so it might be slightly off, also Tiberius is a metagaming douche canoe who needs to be in the spotlight in some way or another during each session. Although he only lasts for I think 20 or so episodes before leaving being kicked off.

Another one to check might be Force Grey Giant Hunters, I've heard the something Incorporated isn't too bad.

I personally plan to make a strength bow user in the future. It's a good idea, I look forward to its official publish.

I'm coming from 3.5 too , haven't done any gaming for years but want to get back into it. Did do a 4th ed campaign but I really disliked the combat.

Thanks though I'll have a look at critical role.

The thought's not bad. All the power to you. Hope it scopes out well when it gets published officially.

>Strength now user

I understand the concept but my question is it going to be exactly like a regular bow user and if so why make it?

Even when Tiberius leaves, Mercer's wife also tends to meta game quite a lot.

check these results cucks

strawpoll.com/d5ygf11

strawpoll.com/z6wx4x4

Main reason I keep watching Mercer the DM, Travis and Sam the others are decent players but those two really stand out in RP and play

What's wrong with Tyranny of Dragons?

Yeah she has been getting worse, hell last night she tried to randomly roll an insight to see what Percy had seen in the scrying orb. Mercer luckily is cracking down on it more and said "why would you have any reason to do that?" So she changed the question to "if it had worked" everyone knew where she was trying to take it but Talisen is just better at RPing and made it vague to where she couldn't do a thing.

Also doesn't help when she gets a little drunker than necessary during the breaks, especially during stressful fights.

Yeah I was watching that bit last night too. Hilarious how the entire cast just sighed and gave her that "oh come on" look.

Cause maybe I want to wield a bow and not be dexterity focused. Just a character concept.

It's not Curse of Strahd.

Marisha is really the only person that brings the show down. She's the stereotypical "GM's girlfriend." You can tell she's only there because Matt is and not because she's really friends with the other players. She's never there whenever the rest of the cast gets together to do something without Mercer.

I can only speak for HoTDQ as the GM (spoilers obviously):

>linear as fuck, there is no choice built into the module, you just spend it chasing cultists
>fights that intend the party to fail right at the start of the adventure
>visit 3 major cities (elterel, bg, and waterdeep) with fuck all to do in any of them
>walk right by dragonspear castle with not even a mention on it
>50 day journey where nothing happens
>overtuned last dungeon because they made it before the MM and didnt fix it
>entire villian plot can be rendered useless if the players act in a way the module doesnt expect.

It feels like they wanted to make a tourist module to the sword coast, thats the only reasoni can think of to set the adventure in greenest and then make you walk to waterdeep.

>Tiberius is a metagaming douche canoe who needs to be in the spotlight in some way or another during each session
Thats why I stopped watching mid first episode. Maybe I should just start on the episode he leaves

Tell me about your elves in your settings, anons. I've got an entire elven civilization to build, and I've only come up with three paragraphs so far.

Also, any good settings that aren't FR or similar with decent amount of details on elves? I'm not ashamed to steal good material.

Her and Taliesin are like, best friends or some shit my dude.

Lord of the Rings

I know, it's really amazing how the two worst members are best friends.

High Rollers is pretty good, especially since most of the players are new.

I suppose I could steal from LotR wholesale, but was hoping it'd be more interesting than that.

>Implying Laura isn't a complete piece of shit to play with
>Implying Sam isn't LE RANDUMB XD BARD MAYMAY
>Implying Liam isn't pshh, nothing personnel kid

The only good member is Travis, and even then he's playing a literal retard.

Honestly can't see anything wrong with Talesin's RP. Seems pretty good to me (although the character is basically himself).
At least he doesn't forcibly grab the spotlight for cringy monologues like Liam does. And aside from being cute as a button, Ashley isn't exactly the world's greatest roleplayer either.
I'd stick the three of them in the 'inoffensive' category. Not great, but not bad either.

I like the material in Races Of The Wild and Dragon mag 279. Those are both kind of Greyhawk-y but make a solid jumping off point for elves. Good amount of detail and a lot of it is the "small stuff" that's so good for flavor.

You should have the google-fu to find PDFs of those online.

If you get heavy into the lore of LotR, you can find some pretty dope shit. Granted, elder race tropes are kind of overdone because of the influence Tolkien had on the genre, but there are definitely historical points, leaders, or societal structures you can nab from the universe.

Why didn't they just call "Sorcery Points" "Mana"?

Because people would have bitched about it being an MMORPG or 'like wow' or something.

You don't miss a huge amount so it wouldn't hurt

>Implying Sam isn't LE RANDUMB XD BARD MAYMAY

I don't really see how he's randumb, he plays a Casanova type and does it pretty well.

Not that I don't enjoy Sam's shenanigans, but just off the top of my head:
>Penis lightning
>Songs that don't fit the tone of the moment
>Blue scrying shits

>Tell me about your elves in your settings, anons
Aside from Eladrin, who escaped to the Feywild long ago, all pure elves are drawn to worship specific aspects of the natural world due to an ever-present ethereal song within their minds. For some, this is worse than others, to the point that the worst ones can barely function as people and get shipped off to a monastery on the coast.
This is the reason for there being all the different subraces of elves; they each have a different object of worship (ie the sun, the moon, the forests, the sea and, for drow, the underdark and lolth).

I just realized something amazing: Kensei Monk with Tavern Brawler is amazing because you can beat a motherfucker with another motherfucker and have it be as effective as punching someone. Amazing.

I'm starting with two elven houses--both high elves--in a sort-of cold war with one another; one house rules the elven capital, while the other has set up their own city further north on the map. The wood elves are separate from both, but often turn a blind-eye to the renegade, for want of a better term, elves raid the trade roads.

The conflict between the two houses started with what the renegade house feels is a betrayal, when the humans--their historical foe--and the "good" house allied to fight another human invader.

I also have some languages I've drummed up for elves (ancient, wood, high, and an "informal" tongue used with family and close friends), and a few details, like that both high and wood elves revere a special species of sacred tree (stolen, I think, from another setting, that).

Not much beyond that, as far as details so far.

I've been working on a pirat DnD campaign with a lot of islands and ship focused traveling and combat encounters.

I haven't really done much in that direction before. The players usually praised me for my music selection in previous adventures but I'm not sure if I hit the mark this time.

Here is a sample for ship travel
clyp.it/g25orvh4

Harbor town on an island
clyp.it/c2l5w2hu

ship combat
clyp.it/k2csjpsf

central pirate island
clyp.it/dx30rgnp

With Talisen you can see he is straight up playing himself like said. He does it decently but it does get a little weird at times because that's just how Talisen is and you can see it with how no one is surprised by it. Already he has had decent character development where Liam, while ok, is still bipolar in the whole "life sucks what am I going to do I'm trapped" and "omg my girlfriend is the coolest"

Penis lighting I will agree was a silly random thing, the songs I can see him trying to lighten the mood because everyone starts drinking heavy otherwise and it's always his mo for songs. The blue shits was Mercer, all Sam wanted was a scrying potion and that's what he was given and wen with it.

Although yeah I do see where you are coming from.

The only time I felt that Scanlan was a well-done character was the snap that Sam played out, right when they were done with the Dragon arc.

The complete flip from fun-loving, shenanigan-doing Scanlan to fuck all of you for not knowing me Scanlan, with intermittent drug use to cope, was great.

It was and why, to me, all the stuff before made sense he used comedy as a defense so he didn't have to deal with everything. He pretended to have it all together and kept that front up no matter what until right before snapping.

Also it was surprising to find out that no one knew anything about him, I figured Grog would atleast know something.

I had trouble watching critical role because they spend so much time talking and extracting information and that's not how I like to play D&D at all
It's cool seeing voice actors get into a character and do social exchanges but even as background noise it really seems to drag on

I found that the combat was what really dragged on. The character interactions are great, and the fact that Mercer can bring NPCs to life in a way that me or my DM cannot is what makes the social aspect of DnD fun in Critical Role.

What are the best sword and board battlemaster maneuvers?

I guess so. I just quickly learned that it wasn't for me. Perhaps it was the characters themselves I had trouble getting into.

Not a big deal, I'm glad something like it exists and lots of people enjoy it!

Yeah I feel you there, the main reason I caught up is I ripped the audio and listened to it at work on my iPod. Now during those episodes I mostly sit and have it going while working on my campaign, what's funny is for being so thorough in trying to gather information they never have a plan. Even if they do its sketchy at best and goes to shit in minutes.

It was said best here right at the end: m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tozi1a2p8u0

Depends you trying to straight up tank or just want some good ones?

Manuevering Strike
Goading Strike
Tripping (tho sm might cover this)
Disarming
Parry

I find mauevering to be the most useful in practice, numerous times ive gotten allies out of tight spots and we have been able to position effectively with it.

Menacing Strike, Trip Attack are your bread and butters. Commander Strike and Riposte are dependent on if you also do the most weapon damage. If you do, Riposte, if you don't, Commander Strike.

Disarming strike you should fit in there somewhere if you often fight people who hold stuff.

I can never understand how some people get this worked up over stuff. That's a good 10ish minutes of pointless work to send that message (maybe 5 if they've had practice).

why are people so rude?

good tanky ones

>People hate Keyleth this much

I get she's not the greatest and makes some objectively bad to terrible calls but how assblasted over it do you have to be to do this?

Then this guy has a pretty solid selection especially goading and manuevering strike

I like these.
Parry seems like the weakest as my dex is 10. Is rally not good? I'm planning to multiclass into probably green one warlock so I'm going to need cha anyway. Also can you use rally on yourself? You are a creature and you can see and hear yourself.

So what should I charge for information on a magic item?

I'm thinking 1/10th the price with a reputable dealer. 50 gold to know where you can find a cloak of protection, either it's gonna be hitting the market in two weeks or there was an adventurer that never came back from such and such who had one.

Forgotten Realms setting so they definitely exist and they could be somewhere in the city, but it's not gonna be like a Walmart.

>Magic mart
You are everything that's wrong with 5e.

Is the goblin player race any good?

Ah parry is wrong i was misremembering it

Rally is good id say.

white knights lol

I'd rate it as pretty decent.
Cast spells as your action then use your bonus action to hide.

Acquisitions Inc. is fun but in no way reflective of a D&D session. It's 75% banter 25% Chris Perkins trying to rush through the time they have left and pretend they had an arc of some sort.

You come for the banter and you stay for the banter.

And it's kind of the Baileys of playthroughs, it overpowers whatever it's put with. They're the most well known party currently and now that they're operating out of the Yawning Portal they're a tourist attraction for other party's.

Dice Camera Action is accurate in its equal parts banter action and cheesyness. It's good homework for a DM that's running CoS or SKT but probably a little dull (if not spoiler heavy) for players.

>but it's not gonna be like a Walmart.

You're what's wrong with 5e. Cause you don't fucking read. Pick up the PHB while you are at it.

Are there any gods or factions inn FR who'd have a vested interested in fucking up the Giant Ordning?

Running SKT and I'm trying to come up with something to fill out the middle of the campaign.

Clanneddin Silverbeard the Dwarven god of war probably wouldn't mind at all. May even give anyone working against the Giants a hand.

There's always Mask

walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/2017/04/stronghold-expansion-traders-merchants.html

>Perhaps it was the characters themselves I had trouble getting into.

Makes sense. Each one feels like a meme, in terms of the class and trope they're playing.

>Hurrdurr barbarian
>Edgelord rogue
>Meme bard
>Speshul snowflake gunslinger
>Purity cleric
>Meme ranger
>Hippy druid

Racist druids are the best

Ghey druids are better

This is the worst forced meme since kobold dragon hunting party.

Please Keyleth and by extension Marisha is arguably the worst part of that show, but to be this much of an autist is embarrassing and to a LA based group like them just makes them feel "empowered for overcoming the evil trolls online!"

It's more of poor form and just validates her own ego because she's "so strong and brave"

From Revised Ranger UA which makes rangers' class abilities actually useful

>pointing out that it's low-effort shit-talking at best is white knighting
>implying Marisha is even worth white knighting over

I just realized the 'Druids are gay' guy hasn't posted in a while. Weird.

It was good while it lasted

How can you be better than the best?

>Purity cleric
>Has slit someone's throat with a mace
>Actually encouraged whoring

Out of all she's the least of a meme but the others are pretty spot on.

Some bits of DCA have been downright amazing though, you just gotta sit through the characters being colossally annoying shits sometimes.

He probably got banned.