ITT cards you are genuinely excited about in Amonkhet

I really want Drake control to be a thing. Anyone else thinking of brewing with this card?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12748139
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kinda not even kidding. If there was good ramp at 1 or 2, this card would be hot.

I think this is going to be legit in Modern. Not top tier but a fun enough variant to play

Maybe in Tiny Modern. I'm not sure if such small cards are allowed in actual Modern.

What is this? A format for ants?

I want the 3 drop "cast shit for free eventually" enchantment for Zur
then the eidolon of rhetoric, cheese shit out with zur and instant speed whatever else messes with your opponent

Pretty much the only card in the set thats worth a damn.

I mean, law of averages, they had to get at least one decent card in the set, too bad about the rest of it.

Literally none. I mean there's a few I could stuff in an EDH deck if I really tried, but aside from that, there's nothing to attracts my attention.

Commit to Memory looks alright but I'm EDH trash

This takes a while to get going. Turn 4 is the first you can get anything out of it, and that's way too late for most matches in Modern, and probably Legacy (except if you're playing Miracles).

Furn EDH card, though!

Ancestral Visions, Lotus Bloom, and the other no-cost suspend cards the turn it comes out.

Works as a pseudo fifth snapcaster. Might try it out.

ok, you tapped out turn 3 to cast this and ancestral, basically building your own divination. Oh wait, the death shadow deck just kills you next turn. But at least you got to draw some cards, r-right?

Harsh Mentor and Soul-Scar Mage for Standard RDW

>standard rdw
>the only burn that can go face is 2 mana, 3 damage sorcery

sorry, maro has decided that mono-red is unfun because timmy can't cast his big green creatures on turn 8 if you kill him earlier than that

I was simply pointing out that you can, indeed, do stuff with it the turn it comes out. Not if doing such was good or bad.

It's slowly getting better, I guess. We have shock again which is something, at least. I honestly just want to play mono red, not necessarily RDW. And yeah Standard is shit and Maro is ruining the game. We don't need to debate this.

Anointed Procession doubles all the tokens not just creatures (for the dumb mechanized production decks)

>2B Discard two cards: Return Haunted Dead back into play tapped with a 1/1/ flying spirit token and a 2/2 blue drake token.

Seems reasonable actually.

So the card does bad things. So it's bad.

planeswalkers honestly. Liliana for my zombies edh deck, new nissa seems fun in edh as well. gideon seems like could help combo or control decks in modern.

that bw zombie two drop might do something for zombies in modern along with tidehollow sculler maybe?

I'm with you on this one, user, Drake Haven is my shit. I wanna make it work so fucking badly. I'm thinking either Sultai or Grixis with discard options up the butt--image related. Could be fun with some madness tech, yeah?

I thought you couldnt cast cards without mana cost from your hand? it seems very slow, maybe you can chain 0 cmc suspend cards into a combo? seems very janky tho

Get empty handed

Draw 3 off Orrery

Draw 1 off Oil

Draw 1 for turn

Dump them all at end of turn to drain your opponent for 10, make some drakes

I want to live this dream with a bunch of cycling cards and those cards that return cards with cycling to your hand.

Maybe a Part the Waterveil or two

Build around enchantments w/o ETB effects never really see play, because you can rarely afford to take a turn off and do nothing. I feel like this is a design mistake somehow. Not saying they should all be viable, but an entire category of card shouldn't be solely relegated to to casual territory. Also they're usually really fun and interesting, is like it if build around enchanments were more viable.

Especially not with 2 mana 4/4 flyers and Gideon running everyone's ass over

That's just retard MaRo's problem. It'll get solved after the FNMs are completely empty for three months and they finally ban gorilla of Zendikar and heart of Kiran.

>he never played astral slide

Like it frustrates me because there's clearly tons of cool build around me artifacts and enchantments now, more than in the past year or two, but any attempt to play them and you just get fucking steamrolled

I genuinely want to play with this old Pervert. I find myself in Top Deck mode of teen enough I think she'll be turned on more often than not, if you know what I mean.

You are correct, I never played astral slide. That doesn't really refute my point my though, that's just a single example. There hasn't been a build around enchantment deck in standard since...hardened scales? And that's because it cost 1 mana. And in modern we have: retreat to Coralhelm, blood moon, and bitterblossom all kinda sorta count? the term "x mana do nothing" is usually applied to enchantments and is why building around a specific enchantment mechanic is generally seems as a bad idea.

It's probably not a bad top end for vehicles

Turn later land draws into burn and it crews pretty much whatever you want it to while not active

I so god damned hype for this.
I'm just going to cram all the G/B removal into a deck and hope that I just outvalue my opponent with Scarabs

I think she's actually kind of good. Getting into top deck mode is not difficult in red at all, especially by turn 4. I think a 4 mana 5/4 indestructible haste creature is pretty tits, even in modern.

I have a buddy who has come up with more things to use that card with than is entirely healthy. I love the damn thing. Soul-Scar Mage just adds value on like a fucking onion.

Soul scar Mage + scarabs + bonfire of the damned. Magical Christmas land here I come.

I really want SCARABS in my prerelease set beecause it looks so good. Magical christmas land- soul scar, SCARABS, the one which is 3 damage to everything. "and now I make 20 FUCKING SCARABS"

well you just listed off some examples of build around enchantments that do see play, and there are plenty of others (sneak attack, aluren, etc) so it shows that these types of enchantments can be strong, wotc just chooses to both lower the power level of them while also creating a hostile standard environment for a deck of that style. Because of this, you can't just say that these types of enchantments never see play, because they do, even in competitive/tier 1 decks.

I dont know how these are $1. You can close out a game so fucking fast with just one.

Cryptbreaker has a win con
Wide Aggro and Vehicles can pop you for another 2-5

I already ordered 10 and I'm going to fucking laugh, and laugh
and laugh

May you flash VoD & save a creature from combat damage?

I am also damned hype for this For modern

that screams captain sisay to me.

I don't care where you play it but you can bet your ass I'm excited to do so.

I think one of the problems with this card is that if you are attacking, you are probably already ahead on board, and don't need the extra few points that this gives you, while if you are stalled and just need a bit of reach, this is useless. I could definitely see it in some sort of cryptbreaker control though, but we will have to see if that deck is actually viable since it relies on a 1 drop that dies to a stiff breeze

Sure, "never" is an exaggeration, but my point is still solid, you're being pedantic. Most of the time, build around enchantments unplayably bad. The value they eventually give you is not worth taking a turn off to tap out for them. Even the ones that see play are almost never tier 1/competitive. I wish it was different, because I think build around enchantments are fun. I think wizards should in some way do a better job of enabling enchantment decks.

Looking forward playing with the new wither red 1 drop and the red hatebear nigga

How can you not be excited by this?

Because final fortune is already a card that I'm not excited about

This is way better than final fortune. This is "fuck whatever you're doing, I'm going to win now"

You know what I want to see? I want to see at one of the prereleases or whatever, someone tries the "in response to you attacking with all your stuff, I end the turn, on my turn attack with everything" standard use, only to get hit with the fog effect from this set.

I'm excited for new opportunities to dick around with the best card ever printed: Sundial of the Infinite.

fog isn't even that great in limited.

So just to be clear, this cannot be countered. This is the last card that gets played in the turn, like a split second card, correct?

No. It still goes on the stack and has to resolve before the turn ends.

it's a spell. when it's cast it's placed on the stack, awaiting resolution
of course it can be countered

It still has to resolve. You can mess with it as long as it's still on the stack.

damnit, 1 second too late

End your turn

Someone let me know what they think of my list
9 fetches
3 razorverge thicket
1 gavony township
3 temple garden
1x ghost quarter
3 forest
1 plains

4x noble
4x chord
4x coco
4x devoted Druid
4x vizier of remedies
3x duskwatch recruiter
2x walking ballista
2x e wit
1x rec sage
1x knight of the reliquary
3x kitchen finks
1x fiend hunter
1x scooze
3x voice of resurgence
2x renegade rallier

These and most -1/-1 counter cards is looking to shape up in to a fun as hell jund deck.

I want 4 of these. The rest of the set is trash.

If Failure//Comply shored up any deck I ran against Abrupt Decay I'd be stoked, but it doesn't, so I'm not. Shadowstorm Vizier and the Cycle lands seem interesting and useful respectively.

Normally you may not cast cards that do not have a mans cost since nonexistent mana costs may not be payed. However, As Foretold allows you to play a card without paying its mana cost (be it existent or nonexistent) and therefore you can drop stuff like Lotus Bloom off of it.

This is different because it can be used as a sort of fucked up counterspell in addition to an extra turn piece.

It allows an easy T3 Restore Balance or Living End, which are both pretty good.

>Restore Balance
Is a card I forgot existed. Man, that's... got interesting implications for how you might build ToldYouSo.dec

White parallel lives is just a gimmie. Swinging with creatures to produce manas, thats something else entirely.

>shock
>a big accomplishment
wew lad

Don't forget that Midnight oil is going to bleed you when you discard.

>spellheart chimera
the only reason I think this might be good at all is the 4 toughness. The 3 toughness on the original one made if die pretty much every playable removal in any format. That being said, I have always like the concept of the card

Idk why they keep printing "good" izzet creatures that see 0 play for reasons that are obvious to everyone except r&d. Was it honestly so hard to print a creature that doesnt die to every removal spell in the colors that have the lowest chance of protecting their own creatures and also cannot afford to include many?

Neither did you

I don't see why people are freaking out over this, when cards like thought seize, dismember, lightening bolt, path, are played in almost all decks in a format. Just to name a few. The combo is unreliable, doesn't flat out win you the game with it alone and just leaves you with a lot of green mana that unless you are going to play a world breaker or something to make use of all the mana you just made all it dose is fizzle out and you're left with two mediocre cards

i cannot wait for this card for EDH

it can be countered but then you won't lose the game. it does hard counter whatever the enemy was doing however.

don't you guys see how GOOD this is?
you take an extra turn, PLUS all the creatures your enemy was attacking you with are tapped out.

YOU CAN CHAIN 2 of those! that's right, if you cast a second one while the trigger of the first one was going then you don't lose the game, shame it exiles itself.

How are you guys feeling about the prerelease?

strawpoll.me/12748139
strawpoll.me/12748139
strawpoll.me/12748139

mono red is the strongest for sure not even close

I'm going to put that in my deck for the sole purpose of getting to say fuck you to anyone who plays that fucking cat combo, it's the reason I always have Authority of the Consuls or Thalia, Heretic Cathar in my decks I always play white anyway

>lose 5 life to midnight oil
>gain 10 from faith of the devoted

I think it'll be fine.

You can stack the triggers in the order that you want, so even if you're at one life, as long as you have mana to drain your opponent for Faith and you let the faith discard trigger resolve before the midnight oil discard trigger, you will not die.

Play it in esper w anointed procession and shit out flying lifelink vampires and drakes

Is it me because I'm already brewing a soul-scarab deck in BR, will probably get some usage out of the Archfiend and Cut to Ribbons as well.

People don't realize the value of it being an end turn effect rather than take an extra turn. You can play it as a de facto counterspell for them overplaying any position and just snap a game right out of their hands. Really is going to effect how you have to play against certain red decks.

That's why you play it on them tapping out/have insult to injury in hand

We need a one damage damage spell called Stiff Breeze.
With enough other upsides to be actually playable.

She's sweet in commander, standard and modern.
Are we BUG control in modern?
Are we BUG control in standard? Bant?
Nissa
Drake Haven
Curator of Mysteries
Archfiend of Ifnir / Cast Out
Grim Flayer
Ishy - K
Manglehorn
New Liliana / new Gideon

Cryptolith Rites + Paradox Engine + Annointed Procession + Gideon Ally

Poomf!

>Wah! What are we gonna do at end of turn?
>*POMF*

That's how bad standard burn has gotten since Theros

*since Khans
Remember that in khans we had Jeskai Fireworks

As a Green player I can't say there's anything genuinely exciting in Gaykangz. The Green god seems like vaguely fun stompy jank, at least, and Indestructable, Deathtouch and conditional Trample on the same guy is pretty neat. Shame he's Mythic. I don't like him enough to buy a playset at mythic prices.

i think your list is a meme

If he ends up being jank he won't be more than $2-3

He is talking about the functionality of the card, not the quality. Are you dense?

When people talk about the gear shift of their bicycle do you tell them bikes are slower than cars?

God I miss lightning strike

Do you really want to return to a standard of "everything that has 3 or less health must have a busted ETB effect for its cost or you just threw away mana"?

This was the only card I was excited for. When I found out it was fake a little timmy-shaped part of me died.

frontier still does. Oh boy. Mentor and stoke the flames are legal there too.

As a long time Red player bolt/searing spear/etc was always more useful zapping Planeswalkers and killing something that is going to end my fucking day over some piece of shit with < 3 toughness

RIP Holaphel.
What's worse is how boring the actual card that art got used for.

>implying that stops wizards from printing those cards anyways.

Reflector mage would have been manageable if we had lightning strike.