Warhammer 40,000 General Thread /40kg/

"Wholesome /40kg/ Thread Pt:2 and continuity of general image" Edition

On last thread's episode of /40kg/:
>Shadow War: Armageddon rules:
games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf
docs.google.com/document/d/1xvgryrNiMFoLYiaX8o6Y-Q0q1GLRvwWnvbrSL7omZXo/edit?usp=sharing

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android.
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!z4wmmJyR!jTfwLczhdFjV0q6nowtGag!qgZhmAhK

>40k rules reference in wiki format.
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs.
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>List organizer picture book
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>Offline list builder
battlescribe.net/

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Office-Star-Multipurpose-Rectangle-Folding/dp/B0015TUXT8/ref=lp_3734181_1_8?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1492219842&sr=1-8
inhabitat.com/creepy-camera-made-from-150-year-old-human-skull/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What would be a fun list to build that would have IG as a detachment along with my Tau? I can field a solid army at 1500 points and have about 2300 points total. I just want to add some IG to have some fun with

Why are space marine players the most unpleasant players at your game store?

Depends what you've got Tau-wise. Got Suits? Go for platoons to get some more bodies. Got Fire Warriors/Pathfinders, etc, go for the tanks in IG.

A few squads of auxiliary themed Bullgryns to protect your firing lines sounds fun. I don't know much about IG, though. Scions would be cool, plus the SC box for them would make it a cheap(er) addition

Anyone have any advice on getting a game board in my house? I do not have a very big place so it has to be something that can be broken down between uses. Also if it was cheap it would be great.

Because even people who play other armies have Marine armies, making them the most numerous bunch and thus having the largest sample of players across the board, including unpleasant ones.

At mine it's Eldar players. Not a single one of them is not WAAC and it gets ridiculous after your third game of getting tabled every psychic phase

Well, it depends on how you want to fluff it!

Do you want A GueVesta Armor Core supporting a cadre of mounted fire warriors?

Perhaps a massive company of Gooey Vistas ground pounding backed up by massive walkers?

A mix of Tau supported by an Emp's Wrath artillery?

Pure Mounted with a combination of Chimeravets and Breacher teams to claim the whole board in the name of friendship?

An Allied Advance Cadre supporting a mixed bunch of Gooey Gumdrops in Swanky Vests

Or you can go full cheeze and stick a bunch of riptides broadsides behind a wall of Emp's Fist Vanquisher tanks: 5+ Cover for the suits behind the tanks, and the tanks themselves are AV14 shields with anti-AV14 guns on top.

Rudolf the neck beard grognard, always has a shitty day, and if you ever saw him, you would laugh and call him gay, most of the Veeky Forums gamers, have no issues having fun, but Rudolf the neck beard grognard, thinks hes the important one, then in twenty seventeen, G dubs came to say, age of sigmars here to stay, now let's go fix 40k, then most of Veeky Forums smiled, happy for the changes yay! Rudolf the neck beard grognard, hung himself alone that day, hung himself aloooooone thaaaaaaat daaaaaaay!

Do jewish space marines cut off the tips of their geneseed with chainswords?

Goes to show that to be a good person at a game store entails not playing space marines. There certainly are enough of them.

amazon.com/Office-Star-Multipurpose-Rectangle-Folding/dp/B0015TUXT8/ref=lp_3734181_1_8?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1492219842&sr=1-8

Take one of these, grab some plywood, and cut the plywood into 24x48" planks. First you set up the table, then you put each board one at a time down the length of the table. Then sit your 24x48" panels on top of that. No panels? Grab a blanket. Recommend you sand and bevel the edges of the plywood when you get time.

When your done you have to store a single collapsible table, a blanket, and 3 24x48x05" plywood sheets.

I got at least 2 of everything but MC suits. Just got 1 of each and no LoW. 18 crisis suits lol
Both actually sound fun, plus I do like the bullgryn models too. Scions would be a nice touch but im not sure how I would effectively use those.
gue'vesa are too weak from what I have read. You did bring up a few interesting ideas... walkers and tanks sounds like a ton of fun to me.

Total cost? Oh, $100 if we're conservative. And that includes the sandpaper you'd want to use to smooth out the plywood.

Oh, not psuedo-conscript Gue'vesa from the Tau book. I just meant allied-in guardsmen that I'm calling Gue'vesa.

So my brother's coming over next week for our dad's birthday and I've been thinking of maybe playing a round with him.
He's pretty much a total beginner and doesn't have his own army finished yet (Necrons) so I figured I might just lend him either my AdMech or my Black Templars and play with him that way.

Don't want to do a huge game, since it'd obviously be too much at once for him and we won't have that much time, but I wasn't sure which point level and what to keep in mind when putting the armies together.
Currently, I have arounf 15 CC Black Templars with various weapons, 20-something Bolter and other weapons dudes, a Pod, 5 Terminators, a Dreadnought and 2 Land Raiders and, for my AdMech, 10 Skitarii, 2 Tech-Priests, 6 Kataphrons, a Dunecrawler and a unit of Kastelan Robots.

I'm terrible at balancing armies for each other, so anyone got some suggestions what point level to use to keep things fair enough and what to watch out not to use?
Help would be apreciated.

>reading Inquisition codex
>Horusians are literally a thing
Fucking Emperor these guys have a lot more latitude for heretical bullshit than I thought.

How about getting a nice rubber gaming mat (~$60) and setting it up on your kitchen table?

>subsect of Thorians

Figures.

Keep the admech out of it. Doctrines and canticles will only confuse him and they're not good without those.
Do a 750 pt Eternal war mission and nothing over AV12 (no land raiders, use rhinos).

Theyre not. Ours is a crusty old fantasycuck nurgle player. That or the waacfag who tries to field shoebox titans

so what, to you all, is a good initial points limit for new player games?

I've got a friend who's kinda nuts about 40k but he's never played a game. I want him to see a bit more than 500 points, but i'm leery about going higher. That said 2 msu troops, an hq and a barebones rhino isn't that sexy.

As if AV matters against a necron player!

Just a general question about 40k: Would a PDF of a moderately industrialized but minor world be equipped with lasguns or autoguns? I feel like autoguns are easy to make, but lasguns aren't. But then again, the fluff also says that las weapons are some of the most basic tech in the Imperium.

So I just realized that unlike Devastators Havocs don't come with enough weapons to equip the squad with all the same weapons. Whats the best way I can go about getting a bunch of Autocannons? Just random bits sites?

try to have matching stuff, so for example 1 hq for each side, one elite for each, then 2 troops for each, better is both troop are similar. maybe one tank each but a small one. that should give him a good feel for the game and everything

A lasgun's just a superpowerful version of a pen laser that fires quite briefly. It's the Power source and power cables that are so magical.

The problem's, like I said, that he doesn't have his dudes done yet and playing Templars vs Templars will just get confusing as hell too, especially since melee will be inevitable.

Its up to you, autoguns are easier to make but harder to maintain since they require ammunition and lasguns are harder to make but are more reliable and easier to maintain. Autoguns in 40k are the guns of the poor and rogue elements, like cultists or renegades outside of Imperial supply lines while the lasgun is standard issue by the Munitorum.

How hard is it to make powercells?

Autoguns are just stamping metal, so it should be really easy to equip a PDF with them. It just would be a pretty weak PDF.

I really want to start a Lamenters army, but are they even still alive?

>7tfw no one at my store wants 2000+ points of assembled Necrons for 2 NiB Imperial Knight Paladins

Im about to try forums for miniature trading but then I have to take a million pictures.

Any good way to go about this or suggestions for a forum to use?

Only 1 company left, and it's all the Death Company because they decided the Lamenters aren't cured, they're just fucked.

Good question! Let's go ask Samsung!

I hope you're not telling him he must paint everything before he can play. That's an easy way to scare a newbie away from the game. 95% of people aren't willing to spend $1000 and a few months of work before they can play the game.

Maybe if you play admech? Just explain the doctrines/canticles as temporary buffs and show him what they are. Or don't use them.

Don't bother with a psyker for him.

Best solution is to arrange to go to your FLGS and borrow a store army for him, if that's possible. Plus then he can get a veteran player to give him advice.

I use 2'x4' folding tables. They're ~$20 each and I have 3 of them.

Set them up and throw a mat over them.

I've got a tournament coming up soon, it's 1500pts, no CAD no unbound
I was thinking of running a TS decurion for that magnus cheese, how does this sound:
Thousand sons grand coven
Lord of the legion: Magnus
War cabal: 2 ML Sorcs one with the Astral grimoire
2 min squads of rubrics
1 squad of termies with heavy flamers and missle rack

The local meta is is one bangles player, one salamanders, 3 tyranids, 2 tau, 1 Ynaari, one Craft worlder, one guard guy and a guy that has about 2k points of nids, marines, chaos, and tau.

Seems like a shit trade for you

Thoughts?

Maybe they've been rebuilding in secret and Guilliman pardons them for being good dudes :^)

>No CAD
Wow, what a shit tourney.

don't

Are they painted?
How many Monoliths are there?
I would hang onto them dude. Chances are knights won't be as competitive in 8th edition and necrons will be doubly so, as well as monoliths

Thoughts?

It is but I really dont like Necrons and would rather have the project of two knights I can use with my main army than a secondary I dont like and never use.

Off the top of my head I have:

40+ warriors
10 immortals
8 lychguard
3 Tomb Blades
2 Ghost Arks
2 Monoliths
2 Annihilation Barges
2 Doom/Night Scythe
a Doom Ark
Handful of HQs, some of the named models

They are all primed silver and a handful of them are poorly painted by a friend I was trying to get interested.

Well, I don't think your opponent will be able to kill even half of the robots, but I don't think you'll win either.

I don't play outside my friend group and we're casual-competitive, so we play to win, but don't cheese each-other too much. The stakes are only as high as bragging rights and we usually go out to dinner after the match and talk about how it went. With that context, how would this list fare? Just about every army is represented in our group.

>Tau

Nah, od course I'm not pushing him to that, it's just that all he has so far is the Necron SC! Box and n Overlord I painted and gifted to him for his birthday when he kicked off his collection.
He's only fully finished 1 Necron Warrior so far and has the remaining 11 in various states of unassembly, which is just factually not enough to use for play.
We already played a tiny Start Collecting vs Start Collecting game when he was over and I had just started my AdMech, which was his first game, and he's also been to a tourney at my FLGS as a spectator, so he knows the basics of play at least.

It's just that he has mentioned wanting to actually learn the game soon in order to get what's happening when watching a game and to also be able to plsy with me and a friend of ours, once his own army's groundwork is set.
The main issue is just nailing down a good middle ground to represent regular play while also keeping it fair and simple.

Put all that up on Ebay for $800 (a hell of a deal so it will get bought real quick) and use the proceeds to buy the knights. Or ask your LGS owner if he wants to make the trade.
if I had any knights I would do it in a heartbeat, alas, I play Necrons and don't have any knights.

Devastators only come with 2 weapons each though.

You could buy the autocannons from Forge World, but bit sellers is probably better.

people are about to meme and rage about the riptide and osc.
ignore them. that's a perfectly fair list and depending how competitive you are it may not be good enough.

So it's way easier to make lasguns than you'd think?

Pics of a few?
Telling you that it's a really poor investment on your half. Putting all of your eggs into one basket instead of having an army consisting of multiple units that any of which could be good in the future.

Yeah, I'm ready for that. The extent of the cheese though is a Tzeentch/Khorne list that the player is fucking insane at rolling and makes like the best outcomes possible. I added that context in hopes of minimizing the memeing because they know the circumstances and I won't be shit-stomping newbies.

>dominus maniple is a dominus, an onager, and a unit of vanguards
>skitarii starter box is a dominus, an onager, and a unit of RANGERS
>only other skitarii my lgs has in stock is more onagers
WHAT THE FUCK GW

The Dominus Maniple can use both, it was a fuck-up on their part and they printed 2 versions of the formation sheet, one listing Rangers, one Vanguard.

Also, they use the same box, like allAdMech units with 2 variants. It's just a head and gun swap.

I think I can whittle it down with my guard army. And when it gets close, Imma tank shock one of those with my Emp's Fist. Think you can make a leadership check? How about 2, with the second at leadership 8? How about 5, and the last one is at leadership 4? If you fail, I'm going to keep tank shocking you so you can't charge and can't fire anything but snapshots ever again.

There are no surviving religions of old earth, and barely any information at all about them beyond the olimpian, Egypt and few others, probably no knowledge about the jew, Christian, Islam, Budda, shinto, etc.

Hmm. I still say 750 is just right points wise. It's enough to have plenty of dudes but not enough to be overwhelming. What you have for ad mech isn't a hard army so don't worry too much about list building, but probably give the kataphrons plasma not grav.

Be careful not to table him. Admech are really good at low points.

if he kinda knows how the game works, go ahead and give him a chaplain... wait, black Templar, nvm.

No pics on hand and they are put away since Ive only played like five games with them.

I traded my first army for them (through someone on here actually) then added a few models to round at the force but they ended up being too boring for me fluff and hobby wise.

The lasguns, yes.

The power packs? A battery containing enough power to send a hundred or so lasers powerful enough to turn a man's stomach into gore at 900 meters? No. Those are damn difficult to make.

OUR FIGHT WILL BE LEGEND

Thank fuck.
Bonus; it looks like a single Maniple will top out right around 500 points (jesus fuck i didn't realize Skitarii were this expensive), so that'll work nicely for getting into newbie/learning games (and I guess I could fill out any extra points by allying in some of the 2-piece $10 cadians? I'd have to check the ally rules again to see if I'm even allowed to take a single unit without going freeform, which would make me lose my formation iirc)

Hello there anons I'm excited to kill some more dirty xenos on Sunday to celebrate the resurrection of the Emperor on Holy Terra do you anons have anything planned? Gonna be holding the line against some Tyranids and possibly some Chaos fucks too if we get another friend involved. Also what army is most fun to play against Veeky Forums ? Usually all I hear on here is people complaining about Tau and Eldar but what is the best army to play against?

Is this enough bodies for 1500?

Keep in mind the vets get obsec

>Imperial Knight Paladins

Durp meant Wardens

You're telling me that deep striking 3 monoliths without mishap that pour out units of 20 warriors is boring?

>shoebox titan
Explain.
I used to proxy empty soda cans as carnifex

It is only 500 points if you're giving out too much wargear, actually they are one of the cheaper armies points wise.

If you're looking for more stuff you can't go wrong with a second SC, but for allies cult mechs are the best.

Dominus Maniple should be around 450 if you really go overboard with the Wargear, yeah. I'd consider, though, to not spend that much on gear and instead grab another 2 5-man Skitarii squads and add those as a separate Skitarii Maniple, if you want a more well-rounded army, since the thing making Skitarii expensive is their gear, not the individual dudes. But for training games, a Dom Maniple should be fine.

As for allies, you are allowed to add any Imperial faction without problem, but still need to use some form of Detachment or Formation for them, so taking just a unit of Cadians or whatever you wanted to sdd is unbound, most likely.

Thanks a lot. I think I will go with autoguns for most of the PDF, and leave lasguns for an elite force of less than 2000 men. That way they have a self-sustaining supply chain despite being a minor world.

Titans built out of literal shoeboxes and shit.

A prime example is one of miniwargaming's gigantic Apocalypse games where people brought 'Imperator-class Titans' made out of buckets and PVC tubes.

Scions fill in the lack of AP3 in the Tau armory, but probably aren't worth it against anything that's not tossing tons of MEQ, due to the lower strength.

Thats part of old school 40k. A guy at my shop had an imperator made of wood and it was the size of a toddler.

While I share a similar thought, it is decidedly better than the original format of "individual formations only"
After a short discussion with the ynarri player it was modified to codex/supplement detachments only, which roughly translates to no CAD no allied detachment

does anybody here play wh40k on tabletop simulator?

i just discovered this game and ive been having a blast learning the rules and playing.

would be kinda neat to play some fa/tg/uys on there if there are any

user, I am talking about a giant table with hundred thousands of points on it, a majority fully painted, being presented with a fly-over camera shot and suddenly just seeing a giant red upside-down plastic bucket with some white plastic sticks on top leading into a shoebox with another bucket on top and two plastic stick arms with toilet roll guns on them, all unpainted and the size of a kindergarten child.

Uh, two twin linked weapons on your suits? They only have 3 hardpoints.

Literally placing a box on the table. "This is a imperator titan ok?"

Use it for kill team or SWA. When you start getting into large units gameplay slows to even more of a crawl than normal

I play on there occasionally with a friend and also against myself to test some list ideas.

i'd also like to have more people to play with but I feel like voice chat for that is impossible to not use and I'm always super shy when it comes to talking to people online, evdn if my english is fine and I'm usually not introverted.

Convince someone with a Chaos Undivided army to use a Tzeentch Grinder over other patron gods.

You are already considering it over the alternatives, so you obviously want it more unconsciously and like its aesthetic.

Also, change is always good and you should have a few new things every now and then. Except if they're all Tzeentch. Then keep them.
Change is good.

Ah, right, gotcha. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, they don't have other Skitarii in stock, and I think the only other Mechanicus dudes I saw while I was there were Fulgerites.

Don't really know how to into Wargear, either. This looks like it'd be about optimal for bodies that I know I can get easily; how should I kit them?

Currently reading Titanicus and it makes me want the buff and hulking Skitarii described in it as actual alternate models.

Your original question has too many variables. How skilled you are versus your opponent, how familiar each of you are with your own and each other's rules, specific army matchups...
So instead I'll just critique your list.

Commander: I have no idea what you plan to do with this guy. Drone controller tells me a drone squad, buff modules tells me he's going with the first squad of crisis suits. At any rate, you've put too much shit on him. Stick him with crisis suits, give him the puretide chip, and guns to match theirs (I recommend plasma). You have so many markerlights that neither ignores cover or twin linked should be real issues. Put the retrothrusters on him (and pick shield OR stim), because he's higher initiative and will likely outlive his unit.

Riptide: I suggest a velocity tracker with the heavy burst cannon, or the ion accelerator with the early warning override. Stimulant injector rarely makes back its points.

Crisis Suits A: Mixing weapons is rather inoptimal. You have the ghostkeel and hammerhead for S7 AP4 shooting, just go with the plasma to fill your AP2 gap. No VRT for reasons mentioned above.

Crisis Suits B: Target lock on all three? For what purpose?

Pathfinders: You have four other markerlight units. Drop this for a piranha or something. They're fun and they kind of fuck with people.

Stealth Suits: I'm not a fan of mixed weapon squads, and I think you have enough AP1 from the crisis suits and the ghostkeel. You can even stick one on the piranha if you end up taking it.

A firebase support cadre can be fun if you can fit two broadsides (missile pods, of course) in. If you do that, I recommend ion blaster for Riptide and early warning override on all three.

Commissar is not an HQ I think, the HQ commissar is the Lord commissar

Then tell him to get his shit bucket off the table and dont come back with it until hes put more effort into it.

Also this ->

Every day I wake up hoping to see those new Death Guard minis but no, nothing.

can a necron overload get a mastercraft warscythe? and if yes, where can i find that rule?

You can save yourself some points by taking Vanguard over Rangers. There guns are even more killy, as is their unique rule, and you don't need the long range in small skirmish games.

The Crawler's best loadout is Neutron Laser and Stubber + an additional Stubber for a total of 30 points, though all their loadouts fill a role and are at least usable. Their worst weapon is the defaut Erad Beam, by a long shot. The Skitarii, you should either give the Arc Rifles to fuck up any vehicles or go balls deep and spend 90 points on 3 Plasma Callivers to kill anything. Ommispex is also always good if you have spare points Stay clear of the Arquebus, it's deceptively terribad. Your Dominus, you can really equip with whatever you like and can afford. Every option they have is good.

Just wanted to share the image of a camera instaled inside a skull.

inhabitat.com/creepy-camera-made-from-150-year-old-human-skull/

It's the artifact warscythe, voidreaper.

>that cross
Black Templars will always be best boys, even more than 30000 years befoee their founding.

Too much centurion

oh, there it is. I swear, no one has ever called it the voidreaper in my group but it still makes sense to call it a mastercraft warscythe. thank you