Calling all Britfags

I intend to run a relatively comfy game set in the modern British countryside involving the fair folk. Trying to keep it PG(-13) rated.

I don't know much about the place besides Hot Fuzz and what I've seen in amusing BBC YouTube clips.

The general idea was the faeries/elves trying to come back and reclaim the Isles for themselves. The PCs are gonna be modern druids. Think lad power rangers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kn2gOI3nHsw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tees-Exe_line
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/Britain
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Myth/CelticMythology
youtube.com/watch?v=BNaCHXrnr9U
youtube.com/watch?v=5hM6xMWYOv0
youtube.com/watch?v=LrObZ_HZZUc
youtube.com/watch?v=z1ROpIKZe-c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know what you're actually asking for here.

So what is this thread for?

firstly do a basic Wikipedia and learn that Britain is multiple countries with vastly different countryside... Parochial England? Scottish moors or uplands? Welsh mountain or valleys? Norfolk broads? Cornish moors?

A jolly green giant rides into your thread and asks you to chop off his head right now, if in return you'll allow him to chop off your head a year from now.

How do you respond?

Well I say no. Why would I want to cut his head off or risk my own?

You missed out an important part of the story where the green knight is a massive faggot to everyone around him so the knights want to fight him

You are a coward and all will remember you as the craven dog you are.

C'mon cut my head off!

Lets be honest here, you know exactly what he's talking about. To outsiders, 'British' is usually southern England/London. If they meant something more precise they'd say 'Scottish Moor' or something.

Alright faggot its on now

Just remember to include chavs and awkward social interactions with drunk fuckheads, you'll be fine

I can only speak for the Welsh countryside (mid Wales), but it's mostly irritable farmers who almost exclusively speak Welsh and dislike the English
T. Someone who speaks welsh, and ain't fond of the English.

He said "Hot Fuzz". Hot Fuzz was filmed in the West Country and it's very representative of it.

Man I can't offload an entire culture onto you in the form of one post. Just read Tristram Shandy or Pratchett or something.
Wales is by far the worst part of England. Even worse than Cornwall.

I dunno if the OP has abandoned his thread, but for what it'says worth...

Brit abroad here. I've been out the country a few years but some things always remind me of home,

Anything by Simon Peggy and Ed Wright, cornetto trio.

Download that game set in the English countryside in the 1980 so called 'everybody's gone to the rapture' for excellent village scenes. You can probably get some scenes from youtube.

You haven'the given much context to go on. Date, place, etc

we have a bit of a train pirate problem out in the countryside
there was a documentary on it a few years back, and the way the economy's going, it's been slowly getting worse
youtube.com/watch?v=Kn2gOI3nHsw

>cornwall
>bad
I'm not saying all of it is good, but I have no idea why any emmit would go to the shitty parts, which are so easily avoidable.

>Think lad power rangers

cancer. Where you from OP?

>British countryside involving the fair folk
Pratchett's Lords and Ladies and the first Tiffany Aching book (wee free men) has effectively that - not modern, it's discworld, but still pretty good for it

If you're up north or in scotland you will probably want to check out the Seelie and Unseelie courts

Most brits these days would just point the elves towards London and let them get on with it.

Pick up a copy of Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. You might be able to get a boxed set of all TP's witches novels

I'd argue the west country is A.In southern England and B.If its not, its pretty similar to it.

Oh no.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tees-Exe_line

Scratch what I said, I was getting west country and east anglia mixed up.
I'm a disgrace to the country.

you have issues

Londoner, aren't you?

You fuckin donut. Well the accents are pretty similar and they're both very rural southern areas so it's understandable.

Cornwall's alright. It's not some inner-city shithole full of gangs so it's got that going for it. What with the internet and cheap deliveries it's not so much of a problem being out of the way either.

I didn't think I did until now, but what with mixing up both north/south and east/west I reckon I might be genuinely retarded.

Not even close

>donut
>DONUT

>It's not some inner-city shithole full of gangs
It's the poorest and roughest part of the country.

erm, no that's the Midlands and then the north. going by poverty, jobs, employment, benefits, stds, investments; social disorder, criminal activity. everything the south and the southwest e.g down to Cornwall are the most affluent, educated and valued housing. stupid Northen scum.

A quick google of "poorest part of UK" brought up everything from Cornwall to North-East to Wales. So I'm not trusting whatever it was I read that said Cornwall was THE poorest. Still poor though.

>All of Wales
>Worse than Cornwall
>Worse than Newcastle
>Worse than Glasgow

Get fucked boyo.

Yup, that's about right.

Sorry Rhys, that's the truth.

How much time have you got OP?
Britain's quite a big place for such a small Island but here's a read/watch/listening list to maybe cram a small fraction of it into your skull. Some of these you're going to have to download or buy, and some of then are frankly a bit shit, but not every Brit is a paragon of good taste sorry.

TV - try to watch at least half a dozen episodes of each
Eastenders
Coronation Street
Emmerdale
Dr Who (ahh bet you've already done this one)
Skins
Grange Hill
The Thick of It
Two pints of Larger and a Packet of Crisps
The Fast Show/Harry Enfield and Chums
Goodness Gracious Me
X-Factor (skip the music bits you're interested in the hosts and contestants)

Film
This is England
4 Lions
The Cornetto Trilogy
Love, Honour and Obey
Billy Elliot
Trainspotting
Something with Hugh Grant in it

Listen
BBC Radio 1 (or just get the current charts off the website)
BBC Radio 4 (listen to it all day every day for a few)
Absolute Radio (at the weekend)
Blur - 13
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
Madness - One Step Beyond
The Specials - Ghost Town (single)
So Solid Crew - They Don't know
Akala - Knowledge Is Power - Mixtape, Vol. 1
Goldie Looking Chain - Greatist Hits

Read
Literally everything ever written by Terry Pratchett, The aforementioned Lords and Ladies if you plan on reading only one book.
Julian Barnes - England England
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
Martin Amis - The Moronic Inferno
Nick Hornby - Fever Pitch
Alan Bennett - Writing Home

News (or the closest thing we have to it) Find em online the right ones will usually end .co.uk unsurprisingly
The Private Eye (Satirical but more true and less partisan than the others)
The Guardian
The Telegraph
The Times
The independent

Things that proclaim to be news but really shouldn't, you will become dumber just by reading them but people believe them so your NPC's should too.These are also online
The Metro
The Sun
The Mirror
The Sunday Sport
The Daily Mail
The Daily Express

>The general idea was the faeries/elves trying to come back and reclaim the Isles for themselves.

Make sure to have Boris Johnson jump into some aspect of this in order to drum up political support for his ever-delayed run at the PM's seat, then disappear for the next few months when he makes a complete tit of himself in the process.

You don't have to, but you won't get the authentic English experience unless you just mention it happening in the background.

Cornwall is a tricky region to measure because it has both the richest and the poorest communities in the country, generally the former are along the coast and have a lot of upper class old people, while the latter are the former mining towns in the hinterland with no jobs and no prospects.

>4 Lions

Absolutely patrician. More people need to watch this film.

Yeah those tin-mines are what I'm talking about. Not your average SEasterner gone for a nice rustic holiday.

>Eastenders
>Coronation Street
>Emmerdale

Emmerdale is probably the only useful one if he's setting his game in the countryside.

Also, I can't in good conscience let a man attempt to watch all three of these at once. There's only so much damage the human brain can recover from.

Hollyoaks

Where the fuck are the Archers

It was more to get a feel for what British people Think about and talk about
Radio 4 all day every day, I shoud have specified that one of those days should be Sunday

Most of this is not really relevant to the countryside.

If you want countryside I'd recommend things like Withnail and I, Father Ted, Midsomer Murders,...

Talking about Gaiman, Ocean at the End of the Lane is more relevant for the countryside than Neverwhere (even if I like Neverwhere better)

I've found these pages also quite useful:
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/Britain
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Myth/CelticMythology

I completely fucking forgot about that one.

Is it still even running?

You missed an important one if you're going for a basic 'English countryside' sort of deal.

The Archers. The world's longest running radio soap opera that's boring as fuck but grants a pretty insightful look into rural folk.

And YOU missed ME pointing that out ;))))))

He mentioned Radio 4 mate.

youtube.com/watch?v=BNaCHXrnr9U

stat him Veeky Forums

Yes Midsomer Murders! god I dropped the ball there

I'm not gonna lie though even when I lived out in the sticks Eastenders and Grange hill were still staples of my telly watching. London Culture dominates, at least in the wilds of Essex, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire

Midsomer Murders was set in my town once.

I guess we're pretty famous.

Yeah, I remember watching Grange Hill as a kid. Then there was other stuff like The Queen's Nose and the Demon Headmaster. And, of course, a bunch of American stuff like Hey Arnold.

I get the impression it was all Londonish, looking back on it. I'm not sure stuff like Midsomer Murders and the like is all that entertaining for kids.

Just avoid these towns, problem solved. It's not that difficult, the good and the shitty parts are clearly separated.

Biker Grove is the only Regional Kids programme I think of off the top of my head

>I remember watching Grange Hill as a kid. Then there was other stuff like The Queen's Nose and the Demon Headmaster.
I remember those shows. I fucking hated them. God they were so bad.

I actually preferred MM quite a bit, and I love Poirot. All the fiction-shows (?) were shit, but Raven and 50-50 and the like were good.

youtube.com/watch?v=5hM6xMWYOv0

>Ireland is the BEST!!!!
>uk.jpg
I've already won.

As an emmit living in a Cornish seaside town, I can safely say that there's two very distinct classes:

On one hand, you've got the rich emmits who either move in to retire or move in to raise their children in an idyllic countryside town. They're always a little patronizing of the locals and always view Cornish ways as a little quaint and backwards. It's safe to say that they make up about a fifth of the population. They tend to be teachers, accountants, generally any sort of office profession. Their education usually outstrips the locals by such a large margin that the Cornish don't have a chance of getting jobs in those professions.
The other four fifths of the population are the poor-as-dirt locals that make their living catering to the emmits and the tourists and the second-home owners. A lot of them have no education and just scrape by on whatever job they can find. I know about a dozen different blokes who spend April to September living in their cars while they rent out their houses to holiday-makers and then move back in from October to March, living on the money they accumulated over the summer and spring. Nine out of ten people I know who are employed only work part-time jobs because no one's got the money to pay for a full-timer. Over half of them have multiple part-time jobs that they struggle to juggle to make ends meet. There's plenty of jobs down here, the issue is that the jobs generally don't give you enough to live off of. A lot of people find that it's easier to live on benefits than to struggle to get by in the part-time economy down here. Fuck, there's even a pattern to it. Girls that don't manage to go to university or move away to a city spend a few years trying to get by doing part-time work as shop assistants, teaching assistants, generally 'assistant' roles. By the time they're 25, most of them have given that up and have at least one kid because they make more money off unemployment and child benefits than working part-time.

ftfy

>english
>white

The Guardian is total shite these days m8

Just make sure you use this guy as a random encounter, pretty high CR if theres any justice in the world.

>manx

bunch of petrol-sniffing inbreds, somehow manage to be even more irrelevant than wales and N Ireland. Last time they were on the news was because some sheep died in a snowstorm

>Not being able to distinguish English people and """"""""""British"""""""""" Londoners

>London generates over 80% of the UK's money, has the best standards of living, the best standards of education, the best health standards, etc
>b-b-but brown people!

I love these images.

The north of England is genuinely coasting on the success of the south.

it's sad that people actually believe this

same thing lad.

>game set in london
>call to prayer can be heard

>people that have never been to London

Also watch some Countryfile, it's a weekly documentary that's run on Sundays since 1988 it's all about the land and the people. I know I'm getting old because I'm starting to enjoy it.

>He thinks im a northerner

>people who have never been out of the caliphate of Al-london

>wanting to go to the 3rd world

Visited London for the first time since I was small pretty recently, I was fucking amazed at how not-like-England it felt.

Walked through what felt like some kind of Jewish ghetto and then down a couple of busy streets that were about 60-70% black.

It was pretty weird. Most pro-/pol/ I've felt in a long time.

Every fucking time, can we not do this? I'm fuckin' begging you, can we just not let a discussion on this website about my country NOT be about London and Muslims and only London and Muslims?

I think you mean the caliphates of Al-Newcastle and Manchester.

It does have those things. It also has some of the worst, because the money spent on those things has to come from somewhere.

>Walked through what felt like some kind of Jewish ghetto

This is how you know user is a liar.

The Jewish community in London is based in pretty affluent areas. They pretty much live shoulder to shoulder with the toffs.

What part of what borough? Like, you need to say the actual, specific area you are in.

Whitechapel is not Brixton is not Kentish Town is not West Wickham is not Selhurst is not Camden Town.

Walking half a mile in London is enough to take you from the shittiest little ghetto to the most gentrified private road you've ever seen.

You're asking autists to move beyond their autismal triggers. Commendable but it's like asking a very retarded wave to stop crashing on rocks.

I don't know what they're called desu. The ones with the top hats and the long hair.
There was a whole park full of them.
Maybe I used the word ghetto wrong. The part of the city wasn't bad, it was quite a nice park.

From memory and google maps I think one of the places was bethnal green. Looking at the map I probably went through clapton too, I reckon.

>Walking half a mile in London is enough to take you from the shittiest little ghetto to the most gentrified private road you've ever seen.

Sometimes walking five or six feet will do that.

Fucking Maida Vale. Literally 3-5 million pound houses on one side of the road, council estates on the other.

London's a funny old place you can literally take one turning and feel like you've been transported to another city entirely, like just compare Brick land to Spitalfields, 30 seconds walk from one another and completely different, then you turn off Brick lane and you're in a Housing estate that could be in any Northern industrial town.

That'll be Stoke Newington I recon

>The ones with the top hats and the long hair.
>Bethnal Green

Kek, that may have actually been one of several Christian sects.

Watch Midsomer Murders. It's extremely popular abroad, probably more so than domestically. Basically it's just a comfy show about a detective in a fictional county where people just lose it one day and kill 5 of their neighbours.

It's extremely Little England and you get new traditions in each episode, like bell ringing, Morris dancing or low key paganism.

>top hats and the long hair.
Orthodox Jews?

Yes, those motherfuckers right there

I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, plz no bully

Since this is a britbong thread and /wodg/ is almost entirely filled with shitposting, I'll try here.

I'm running a game of Changeling: The Lost, the Freehold's set in London. Anyone who knows the system got any idea how the Courts would claim territory in London? Beyond Summer in the East End, Winter in the City/Soho (it's still a red light district in the WoD), Autumn in Bloomsbury and Holborn and Spring in Mayfair, Marylebone and the West End, I'm having some trouble, since I don't live there.

Nah, Hackney's got a huge Jewish population and it's right next to Tower Hamlets. It makes sense.
Basically, you went through one of the most extreme non-white slums in London and also passed by one of the more affluent 'ethnically diverse' areas. No wonder your opinion of London is so skewed.

it also has an episode where someone was killed by a cheese wheel and theme tune that introduced me to the theremin (haunting as fuck!)

Be sure to get nice and comfortable before starting an episode, because they are like 90 minutes with no commercial break and there are more than a 100 episodes

Now I don't know much about WoD but there would be a big split between the City of London and the City of Westminster. The City of London is the historical city of Londinium founded by the Romans and it's not actually huge. It existed as a semi-independent entity for ages, it elects it's own Lord-Mayor with corporations getting votes and the old gates are guarded by little iron dragons. I'm sure you can do something with that.

Check out the CGPGray videos for a nice summery on the split.

youtube.com/watch?v=LrObZ_HZZUc
youtube.com/watch?v=z1ROpIKZe-c

>question about the countryside
>discussion about London

Why would the Winter Court like red light districts?

I'd associate winter with the death of hope and stuff like that. Things you'd encounter in the bigger estates.

>Death of Hope
have you ever been to SoHo? (I'm only half joking)

>Hope isn't slowly snuffed out and ground into the dirt in red light districts

Which reminds me, there was this gardening/farming show on the BBC my grandma used to watch. More of a talkshow, I believe. Anyone know what that was?

Same as in the Miami Freehold in the books, they sell drugs to cultivate despair. Also hookers are pretty fucking sorrowful.

>Being a prostitute isn't depressing
You need some seriously hardcore acting skills sometimes to keep up the facade.

have you've ever read/seen/listened to Neverwhere? It is not an answer to your question but it might be interesting

Hackney (Dalston in particular) has become gentrified to fuck the last five years or so. Honestly I still don't know when I get stopped in the street whether I'm going to get mugged or handed a flyer for a pop-up sushi and cocktail bar

Course we're all from London it's the only place you get internet in this country