/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
Because, FU, that’s why, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – UPDATED (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

(new)
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-04-14 - Still getting worked on & now has 11483 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-03-26!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4PehWC3fAAQ&t=
warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/jaguar.html
warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/etherial.html
warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/intruder.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Design Challenge time, lads
You are the head of mech development for the Rim Collection circa 3110 or so, in charge of designing a Retrotech main trooper for the Rim Collection, and also an upgraded intro+ tech model for future use

Can't we just make Dino Riders instead since we own Hunter's Paradise?

My life will never be as fulfilling as this picture.

Why not design the mech with dinosaur combined-arms in mind?

Basic model is the Wolverine-6M, because duh.

that looks like a lineholder more than a wolverine, really

That maybe true, but it's clearly a brutal short range brawler. I'd use it.

What is that glorious beast in the image?

Heavy LRM carrier, 80 missiles a turn, 2/3, cheap as dirt, from the last gasp of the pre-coleman periphery, The Periphery, Second Edition and also TRO 3060

Man, did porchbux-san fuck the outskirts that hard?

Here you go. Hope this qualifies.

Yes. Yes he did.
Scrapped them for every c-bill to liquidate into lumber.

So, considering the happenings of this week, I want to stat up a MOAB. Would a Cruise Missile with the Thermobaric modifiers tacked on do the trick? Consider that even a shot of CM/50 ammo weighs 25T, and the MOAB is 11T.

Or is this better simulated with the "cargo crate full of MG ammo set to detonate." trick that BT has pulled before?

Well, let's say this porch represents the normal amount of thieving energy in the Coleman area. Based on this morning's sample, it would be a porch... thirty-five Texas warships long, weighing approximately 54600000 tons.

That's a big twinkie.

What the fuck were we talking about?

MOAB isn't a themobaric. Just a Cruise Missile will do the job.

The best way to build a MOAB is to just make a conventional fighter with a bunch of MG ammo and a booby trap. And yeah, maybe give it a ton of thermobaric AIV ammo to boot.

Modify a bullet suicide drone and you're good to go.

But MOAB is a thermobaric.

Man, I never knew that the Scorpion has acutal not completely awful variants.

The mech? I like the one with heavy PPC and lrms

TNT aint thermobaric

lol, both Luthien and Rasalhague have been conquered by Clan Ghost Bear in MWO.

I was reading some articles earlier today that said it was just conventional explosives, not thermobarics but Wiki disagrees. Fucked if I know.

Explosives in BT don't really match up with real-world stuff until you get to nukes any way, so I guess thermobaric warheads are the way to go regardless.

To get the kind of effect a MOAB has in BT terms you kind of HAVE to go thermobaric. It may or may not be so irl but in BT it makes the most sense.

If the authors did not have such an irrational hatred of the Ghost Bears and a love of the Nova Cats that would have happened in canon too.

The Bears would not have stopped until they reached Tikonov. If that.

The feet of the Hatamoto-chi I did a while back kept bugging me, so I edited them to look a bit more like the classic sneakers/ clogs.

Just interesting news about Battletech music.
Timothy Seals put up a new song today.
youtube.com/watch?v=4PehWC3fAAQ&t=

I like 'em! Good work. Now all we need is some artistic broski to color that in Kuritan colors and we can flesh that baby out!

Started but didn't finish a game today with a friend.

He had a Catapult and Cicada, I had an Enforcer and Vindicator. Everyone was 4/5.

We're covering terrain, LOS and heat right now. I have to say so far we're loving the game.

That feels a little unfair in your favor. The Cicada is not very considerable compared to the Enforcer/Vindicator combo. How did it go?

Actually pretty well since we're both new. We went by BV to >try< to make the forces balanced.
While I tried to close the distance he showered my Vindicator with LRM fire. I had some bad rolls and none of my long range shots were connecting, which in part was because we were both moving. He sent in his Cicada to try and backstab my Vindicator, while my Enforcer closed to get under the Catapult's LRMs. We traded fire and those four MLs of his tore my Enforcer up a little, while in return not many of my shots landed.

We recognized in advance it might not be the most balanced fight but he really wanted to try the C-C combo.

Probably Kuritan will paint the feet of hatamoto with a combo of "waraji" and "tabi" regardless of the shape of the foot.
Samurai wearing boots is unlikely to have fun and delicate movements :)

The Enforcer has paper armor in the rear though, moreso than most mediums, so the Cicada can tear it apart in one or two good backstabs. And if it positions itself wrong... well, that's gonna get punished fast. The Cicada is also fast, and in Introtech speed is armor because no Pulse and no LB-X. It's actually a pretty balanced fight.

Glad you're enjoying the game, user. I played one myself last night; lance v lance, 5500 BV, Introtech, canon variants only.

Opponent had:
Enforcer 4R
Victor 9B
Grasshopper 5H
Awesome 8Q

I had:
Crusader 3L
Catapult C1
Thunderbolt 5S
Grasshopper 5H

Early on, the LRMs did a lot of work, and the Victor was hurting. I needed to get it out of the game. We were playing on the red Crater map, out of.. map pack #3 I think? Lots of rough, broken terrain to hide in from ranged attacks. He used that to his advantage, and got the Victor in close, despite my backpedaling. The brawl swung his way really quickly, with my Catapult getting its LA shot off, then destroyed by ammo explosion after that. The Crusader lost its LA and LT, and went down to a single point of internal structure in the CT. But then the dice swung my way again, and the Victor went down finally, as well as the Awesome when my Thud punched its head off after it took an errant Medium Laser to the face. Things swung again though when my Crud finally died, and my Hopper, about 40% armor down, went against the basically pristine Hopper and the Enforcer with no Large Laser and no more AC ammo left. It lasted a few turns but concentrated fire on the CT brought it down eventually, with both my brother's 'Mechs still standing. Was a bit bummed but eh, such is Battletech. The Awesome getting facepunched was definitely the most BS moment of the night, and really turned what looked like a loss for me for certain into an even match again, since the Crud wouldn't die. But, the dice are fickle indeed.

Oh, forgot the fate of the Thud. It died to the MG ammo in the LA cooking off the turn after it murdered the Awesome. Karma I guess, since it was a LA punch that did the Awesome in.

Are there any clan vehicles that can survive in a vacuum? Enemy keeps trying to field vehicles in one and trying to find something to replace them so I don't get a wall of text every time I start a mission.

You could use the pregame editing feature to give them all the environmental sealing quirk

Doesn't look like the quirk is there, at least in the pre-game set-up

Why not just be smart and not use vehicles in vaccuum?

>Enemy keeps trying to field vehicles
Its the MekHQ scenario generator, not me. I'll probably just round up the BV and add substitute mechs or BA at this point.

No sealed Clan vehicles I can see based on a MM advanced search.

Sealing is a construction option that eats up weight, not a quirk.

Retro battle bump

It's Saturday. Any /btg/ match today?

It's one hell of a quiet Saturday. I don't know.

You waited until 9:00 PM central to ask when we normally start at 7PM? What do you think.

It's almost like people have social lives and it's a weekend.

Yeah, me neither.

I'm not good with clan mechs. Does anyone know what these are supposed to be?

warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/jaguar.html
warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/etherial.html

Also what is this supposed to be?
warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/intruder.html

>Jaguar
Been trying to sort that one out myself. It's probably some Green Burd machine. I don't know which one, but that'd be my guess.

>Ethereal
This one's an Eyrie.

>Intruder
Enforcer.

>warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/jaguar.html

The first one is a Cougar, the extra wing bits make it a Cougar-XR.
The second is an Eyrie. No idea why they chose to duplicate a Dark Age era in-production mini.
The third is an MWO Enforcer, with parts for MWO-only variants.

Thanks, I normally don't play clans, but the warhansa models look so nice.

I don't care for every MWO adaptation of the existing designs, but some of the clan one's are pretty nice updates of awkward originals. Plus I like to think of MWO designs as cosmetic variations from different manufacturers, so the Falcons might be rolling with IWM Mad Dogs while the Adders produce blockier MWO style Mad Dogs.

Plus a lot of their miniatures come with variant parts. The not-Stormcrow comes with a bunch of different arms, for example.

Did somebody say MOAB?

Battlebump

I am sick and tired of the fucks over at IWM using inferior paste to secure their blisters. When are they going to get their act together ffs?

Random question, but is the Rick David Stuart who wrote the original periphery sourcebook the same one who did sourcebooks for WEG Star Wars?

So my group does a type of Solaris VII
>everyone gets one mech
>roll on table with d20
>play area is 1 map per 4 players
>mechs for the list are ones that can force a PSR if at least 50% of the weapons hit.
>in case of odd players everyone rolls a d6 and player with even numbers can't each other for that turn, same if multiple players roll odd
So I made my own table based off of mechs I own. Any variants ('pult, archer, g. dragon, ect.) are because I have more than 1 of those minis.
What do you think of my selection?

I'm suprised they haven't tried to copy megamek and sell it as a videogame.

Not simplistic enough to appeal to an audience or consumer group large enough to cover the development costs.

And just simply copying megamek as it is will make people rage and stick with the free, good one that gets rather regular mech updates from our resident artists.

Main video games industry...
not enough QTEs

Nippon games industry...
not enough emo twelve year olds and belts and zippers.

Also not enough linear corridors and no iron sights first person shooting.

It'd never sell. It's too much of a cerebral game.

True, the interface is a pain though. Lets hope the battletech game goes well then.

Unless they completely fuck up the single player, it'll do moderately well.

Biggest hurdles will be that the community will be entirely dependent on HBS' development of additional mechs, maps and other content. They've decided to be stingy bitches and not make mod tools of any kind.

If they had made mod tools, I would have immediately begun making Clan mission packs. Trials of position, grievance and possession, all that fun jazz with some Clan culture thrown in.

That sounds fun. So few games have mod tools.

>clan mission packs
>not trying to implement WoB tech

I still hope their files are easy enough to mod without official tools.

The games made with the Unity engine, so making new stuff for it isn't going to be too difficult.

Porting it over and getting it to function in their modified game engine will be the hard part. Coincidentally, the part that I have extreme difficulty in managing.

It's kind of funny. The devs mentioned in a recent Q&A livestream that they've got interface and code developers who have made dev tools that allow them to script objectives, dialogue and events and rapid test them (basically add scriptss, compile them into a folder for the level, launch game engine to play through it) but they're not going to release them to the general public.

And the reason for that is pretty evidently "we want to make more money by having complete control over the dev tools."

This culture of greed and covering your own ass no matter what that's festered in the US and Canada for the past couple decades has pretty much ruined the video games industry.

>Unless they completely fuck up the single player

I just hope that cuck Weisman isn't doing all of the writing. His recent infatuation with appeasing SJW ideology with man-shaming, ultra feminist characters, overly forced "GURLLL POWER" stories combined with the cavalcade of circus oddities that a diversity marketing team seem to have come up with for the crew member characters would ruin the game for a lot of people. Some people would just ignore it and grit their teeth, just happy they got a battletech stragegy game, but having to look, read and listen to character go on about their preferred pronouns and how speshul snowflakes they are for being different shades of mulatto will eventually start to grate on peoples nerves.

>I just hope that cuck Weisman isn't doing all of the writing. His recent infatuation with appeasing SJW ideology with man-shaming, ultra feminist characters, overly forced "GURLLL POWER" stories...

Wait, what? Is this serious? Did he go over to the dark side?

The couple of stories he wrote for MWO's hero mechs were alluding to that.

Particularly the story about the Alex/ FD's original mech, the Roughnecks "hero" pilot background and story snippet being all about "grrr im a woman hear me roar, evil men put me down because im a proud womyn, I dun need no man I can pilot robutt just as good as man grrr." The story was all about how men think less of women for being mechwarriors.

In a universe where female mechwarriors have been a thing for centuries and and nobody has batted an eye to them bring ruthless brutal killers. A universe where Natasha Kerensky is said to be one of the greatest mechwarriors to have ever lived.

As a eurasian girl, I hope he does, I like that kind of stuff.

One of the reasons I loved BT was because I thought it was above all that SJW nonsense. Now this?
Weiserheimer... you pussy.
I mad. I mad and ashamed for our hobby.

But user: BT was the SJW stuff all along, this whole time!

Sure you aren't thinking of Randall?

No. NO. I refuse to believe! I was really young when I got my mint condition 2nd Edition. I never had a second thought about characters like Lori Kalmar and ol' Natasha K. It was just par for the course like playing the original Phantasy Star or Phantasy Star 4 or Final Fantasy 6 later and such. I'm a frickin' 80's kid. Nope. I don't like this crap one bit. Bunch of slack jawed SJW faggot runnin' around now.

People back then were bitching about it too, you know. "This political correctness has gone too far!"

Samus Aran in Metroid being a girl was pretty contraversial for its time, if you remember. We just didn't think anything of it because we were kids. And look at us now.

Wait, that political correctness nazism came about in the 90s. I mean, when me and my buddies were really little kids pretty much the only female characters we would play in vidya or such was Blaze from Streets of Rage because reasons, and Ms. Fucking Pac Man. It was a magical time when we couldn't decide if girls were icky or... squishy. When BT came on the scene we really didn't give an ass about all that SJW applied psychotic gender roles and crap. Chicks were chicks and it was okay if they piloted a mech because those things ran hot anyway so they would have to not wear as much. (Did I mention how young we were?)
Anyway to see things devolve into modern political crap? I really thought BT was above that. It was the fun of the game and all that. Just... not happy right about now. Can there be one place away from the bitching?

ahahaha nope, Randall at least is full cuck.

No, Political Correctness existed well before the '90s. It just wasn't in the mainstream noosphere as a word until the '90s! The Regan Years were described as "an assault on political correctness" in 1987. The modern usage of the PC term started in 1970. Before that, it was used to describe communists and communist doctrine.

Just because you were too young to see it at the time, doesn't mean the adults, people our age now, weren't aware of it, and bitching about it then.

Daily reminder that second wave feminism, where it all went wrong, started in the 1960s became popular in the late '70s, and it formed fashion heavily in the '80s.

>Can there be one place away from the bitching?

Yes, death.

Other than that, no. Men had thier way for quite long enough, and now you're just going to have to deal with other people getting time in the spotlight. Nowhere and nothing will ever be "safe" for your kind again. Welcome to a brave new world.

>oh no, other people are getting equal time in the spotlight, how horrible!

And apparently it's the white mans task and burden to create culture for the "minorities."

How long has Randall "cuck" Corncob been working in BT?

Now I knew some of this, but that's fascinating the part about the term.

Now I know you're a chuckle-fuck because success has very little to do with "getting time in the spotlight." Africans of certain stripes had thousands of years to compete in terms of culture, technology, religion, all sorts of things, and were left behind because of choice.
You achieve success. It's never your "turn." Little kids whine about it being their turn at the drinking faucet.
Also success was never safe. You have no idea the level of competition that exists in the world where you have to bring a product to the mass market, or inventing technology, or any real form of success that doesn't give out a participation trophy to make your baby-SJW feel good about being last place and not having put any effort into your life. You're jealous because you accomplished nothing, became nothing but a strain of human bacteria, will never be anything other than a burden on society, and will hide under left wing sexism and racism just like the bogus ass KKK, another democrat institution.
Take your pseudo-bad ass internet persona back to /pol/ and let them slam your ignorant ass down a peg and stay the ever loving fuck out of neutral territory before someone puts you over their knee and spanks you through puberty. Go put on your pimple cream and let the big boys and girls do what they want to do.
tl;dr - In essence since some cultures only contribution to the world was inventing a stick, of course they would whine about, "It's my turn nooooow!"

Not that user but
>Equal time
>Implying to have a good story everyone of every vauge identity group needs to be given equal time
>Implying mentioning said peoples gender/race every story is good writing
>Implying trying to make characters that pit themselves against current real life groups or problems that equate only to the given time ruin any timelessness of the story and cause everyone 10 years later to be confused.
>
"Equal time" based on anything outside of the character kills it

A long time, though his SJW power level appears to have been growing logarithmically

Sorry, *don't ruin

Well hell. Time for some war crimes.

You are being a loser drama queen more than your usual, btg

You will have miserable lives with or without SJW anyway

It doesn't need to be *every* story. But *any* time it shows up in a story, you idiots start bitching about it.

"OH, IT'S FORCED!"

No, it's often not. It's the story the author wanted to tell. Having diversity in a mercenary group in battletech makes a hell of a lot more sense than not. You're not right: you're just spoiled.

Nice strawman, though.

I will admit, it's sometimes forced, though, *cough*Mass Effect Andromeda*cough*, but literally everyone is bitching about it, including the groups who were included for their forced "diversity". Notice how the groups who were forced in are bitching about it irl too. That's always a good sign it was forced.

It always seem to be a minority who complains about diversity and things they complain about often turn out to be good.

I was more pointing out the flaws of the general idea of equal time and the use of modern issues, I apologize if I didn't make that clear. I have no problem when certain "groups" are shown, battletech has always retained a diverse cast. My main concern is when those groups become a focus or a spotlight is shown on someting they have thats innate (i.e. the MWO story) rather then the authentic character of the person. If the merc group has more character then their race or sex thats fine, I applauded Shadowrun mostly for that. But to retain a diverse cast for the sake of being diverse(TM) and not because it was a character that happend to be X I feel rips out the autenticity.

Also, I feel the idea that when a "group" complains about said thing that the proplem is legitimate is flawed given that my concerns would be made immediatly valid given I'm a hapa

In honor of Easter we're doing a WoB game fighting Ghost Bears on Luthien.

What are the best WoB mechs for fighting Clanners?

Fucked up with spoiler, no reason that was hidden

Ahh, I get you. Well, sorta. Your last sentence confuses me.

But ME:A was a perfect example of what you are talking about. However, a lot of people complain about SJW bullshit when *any* diversity is shown, regardless of how it is handled.

I personally like the incidental diversity, where people are XYZ, but it isn't the focus of the story... unless it is the focus of the story. But making it the focus of the story leads to a ton of pitfalls, especially when it isn't written by a member of said community because they inevitably fuck it up. Again, see ME:A.

From what I have seen, this doesn't appear to be the case as so much with the need BT stuff. But I don't know a lot about the MWO stuff aside for stompy robots and micro transactions.

No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me.

>especially when it isn't written by a member of said community because they inevitably fuck it up
Worth noting that different members of a community have different experiences, and therefore will therefore disagree at times about what is or isn't fucked up.

A level three of nuclear urbies.

Someone will be along shortly to give you a more realistic answer, I'm sure. Doesn't mean that's not a serious answer on my part though. Fuck the Bears.

A problem I have with "people are XYZ" thing in the HBS BT game is that the combinations seem forced and weird. And yeah, none of them are "white" in the northern/Western European sense of being fair skinned and that is weird in its absence. I'm not European, I don't feel like whites should be shoehorned into everything, but their handling of ethnic and "racial" origins is offputting.

I'd rather simply have "so-and-so is Capellan" and they maybe have looks that could be associated with the ethnic groups that settled the Capellan zone (Russian, Han chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, etc), or a Free Worlder from the Regulan province (Hindu, Persian, Pashtun, etc) and stuff like that.

>I'd rather simply have "so-and-so is Capellan" and they maybe have looks that could be associated with the ethnic groups that settled the Capellan zone (Russian, Han chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, etc), or a Free Worlder from the Regulan province (Hindu, Persian, Pashtun, etc) and stuff like that.

Honestly, that would be perfect.

I don't remember anything really standing out in the HBS stuff as odd to me. But we don't know that much about the single player story, from what I remember, so this is just the neckbeards stimming as far as I can tell. Unless, some fucked up shit has dropped in the past 6 months that I don't know about.

Yes, that is true. But differences of view from an in community experience will be different from that of an out group experience, and it definitely shows.

>Unless, some fucked up shit has dropped in the past 6 months that I don't know about.

Randall made some statement on Facebook that if he can avoid it, he'll never write a white male character again, or approve one for publication. Because making up for lack of diversity in the past. As long as Randall and Jordan are on charge of anything, it's going to keep getting worse.

Which is extremely odd since all 3 of the Shadowrun games (and IIRC some of HBS earlier releases too) have mod tools for them. People have released some pretty impressive stuff for them.

The devs themselves gave a reason to not making mod tools or releasing the dev tools as "it takes too much development time that could be spent on making the game better."

It's a half assed reason, and the way it was described (Shadowruns mod tools were made by one guy who worked on it for the better part of a year) made it clear that depending on how successful the initial game is, they intend to make expansion packs just like with shadowrun.

But for the next few years, no mods. Because greed.

>Because greed.

Home improvements don't pay for themselves, user.

Of you cared that much, you'd take a gun to Gencon and kill as many of them as you could. That's the only way anything will change. If you aren't willing to go that far, then you don't care enough to complain about it.