Mtg Standard

No more copycat?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-04-17-ub-summonings/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There already is a one mana enchantment that stops it, why do you think thid changes anything?

rate h8

what about that embalm manitcore that has a fling effect? I think it's heart-piercer

>tfw playing a shitty R/B artifact creatures deck at FNM because poor
>everyone else plays meta aggro shit like R/W vehicles/aggro, G/B constrictor or R/G energy aggro
I just want to play casual fun games.

Oh boy I sure can't wait for 80% Mardu Vehicles.

Different colours. I had a U/B Zombies list in Standard and by god I hated having to slow my board development and holding back Grasp of Darkness because of dying to Splinter Cat.

Play pauper or try out edh. I like pauper more than edh since I usually play modern.

It's more casual.

my LGS doesn't do pauper or EDH. also not a big fan of EDH, there's just way too much going on to keep track of.

I'm running U/B zombies right now. Have a build you can post?

Try driving to other LGS if viable then. Mine does standard, modern, and EDH on saturday while FNM is usually either standard or modern most fridays.

I got like 5-6 different versions of the deck tweaked up in testing, some with Scrapheap Scroungers, some with Heart of Kiran's etc.

Here's the list i'm currently testing now. Before Felidar Guardian I was able to amass a nice board with repeated loops of Diregraf Colossus and Relentless Dead to have a nice zombie board state but now I don't have time to dudle as much since G/B Delirium decks sort of trended off. I'm not 100% sure on the Fatal Push/Sinister Concoction count.

Okay, I appreciate talking through some of your choice. What are your thoughts on the new B/W zombies they are trying to push? Also how useful is mindbender game 1?

B/W Zombies is most likely going to be a completely different almost taxing aristocrats type of build. R/B is the hyper more all-in aggro version of Zombies and U/B is more of an aggro-control type of build. You're not fast on aggro as the other aggro decks but you can play the control game against them well and you're worse at control when you fight the control decks but you can switch to the aggro beatdown plan. The problem as always is Saheeli combo decks which you just can't do anything about other than hold removal and bring in Lost Legacy and/or Hand disruption abound.

I've always found Mindbender to be pretty useful the times I have cast it since it's almost always a 2 for 1 and I have a big beater on the board they can't kill so easily. However against aggro matchups he's just not as useful because by the time you can cast him out even with Emerge most of their hand has been dumped already hence why only the 1x copy in the main.

Lets see your zombie decks, lads
I'm super keen to make some sort of b/w zombie deck but there's actually a lot of options so I'm not too sure where to start

I know what you mean
>make a fun deck based around Pia's Revolution and Marionette Master
>everyone is playing card for card top 8 decks
>they reassure me by saying "yeah it seems like a fun deck user"

Here's my UB control. Can't figure out if I should go for 2 or 3 summonings. 2 gives me more room for removal but I don't see it every game but I find I draw too many when I'm on 3. Decks tuned mostly towards aggro and cat.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-04-17-ub-summonings/

I didn't realize people played standard. Weird.

>Play U/G emerge
>Half the players are playing homebrews
>The other half netdecks from top 8s
>All the homebrews guys are having a blast
>The netdeck players go on suicide watch whenever they lose

It still sucks to have to dedicate your entire sideboard to stop 2 decks
We can only hope that Amonkhet shortens the gap between tiers

He's 4 cmc, and my dudes buff are temporary

>Want to play casual
>Go to a tournament
You brought this on yourself

>u/b zombies
>not r/b zombies
Found your problem. If they don't cast the cat then you an just cryptbreaker/haunted dead/whatever on end step.

I'm gonna try spirits again! with failure to comply!
I kind of want to try something like the old tempo-control lists with selfless spirit-fumigate wombo combo.
Alternatively, something with glorybringer because i miss stormbreath dragon

is anyone excited to play any of the new gods? they all kind of look like trash

I'm halfway tempted to brew mono-green stompy and run a 1-of of the green god, but it'll be a step down from Nylea to say the least.

I find myself in Top Deck mode often enough in my decks that I think Hazoret will be turned on more often than not, if you know what I mean. Rhonas is so easy to turn on it's ridiculous.

what color goes best with pull from tomorrow?
i'm thinking white for fumigate and blessed alliance to make up for pull not being ENTIRELY sphinx's rev.
of course, is there any reason to not go tricolor? I guess black would probably be better than red in that case

does aven mindcensor tech against anything relevant besides traverse and (kind of?) marvel?

turboramp with statuary and clues and rip fat nasty pulls?
maybe this is the mechanized production deck lmao

>I always hate having to interact in my creatures: the tappening game.
This is what standard does to players. Make them shit timmies

when you tap out theres always a risk of things getting too hot to handle in any format, but you hedge your bets because you want to push or create an advantage and thats part of what makes magic fun!
unfortunately when a decent infinite combo exists it skews the risk:reward ratio so heavily that you cant really afford to hedge your bets so you don't get to throw out your big plays.
for some people the mindgames and the rush of getting lucky outweigh the more conservative style of play, but not everyone enjoys the pressure.

Is embalm standard-playable?

I think standard would be more fun if they just replaced the cards on the inside with granola bars.

Aven Mindcensor does not hinder Aetherworks Marvel. Marvel does not search.

hits attune which punishes 4c

Problem with this is they cast attune early in the game when they actually need it, if they attune past T4 it's normally because they don't have anything else to do.
Hitting delirium traverse is nice though.

Well I'm not really excited but If I happen to pull one of them I'll probably find a deck to put them in.

The closest one I'd be hyped about would be the green one since it's pretty good.

All of them seem like a niche 1 of in specific decks. The good news is they atleast match well mechanically with each color so even the more shit ones are only as weak as their color (rip blue)

I'm coming back to mtg. Hard standard is shit, is it true?

How is fast aggro decks looking for the Amonkhet format?

>Amonkhet Format
People speculating on this are wasting their time. Currently we're dealing with a 2-deck format which are basically just unanswerable goodstuff decks. There may or may not be a ban, depending on how long Wizards can tolerate people not coming out to play Standard for.

Amonkhet will probably change absolutely nothing except for a different Gideon for people to plop down and ult immediately so the opponent now -has- to take out AoZ to win, and 4c Saheeli gets more consistent via scry-2 Nissa.

But then, I'm almost always wrong when it comes to predictions.

>The netdeck players go on suicide watch whenever they lose
there is no better feeling than watching this happen
>that one fag that does nothing but talk about the gps he goes to
>talking about how he knew this deck would do really well in the meta around here
>is in the finals against my friend's BW midrange brew
>he's doing nothing but shit talking about how my friend is running sorin but not gideons
>gets blown out 2-0
>full damage control.mp4
>leaves before collecting his packs

when is the next ban announcement?

24th

back in rav-theros standard, I won 3 FNMs in a row and did well in a qualifier playing with a Simic Flash deck. I predated monoblue devotions with Skylasher, had a hard time vs UW Control and Monoblack Devotion.

The deck was pretty cheap and helped me increase my card pool for my Villainous Sultai Control in Theros-Khans standard.
Fun times casting Villainous Wealth with 12 mana, getting me my opponents planeswalkers, creatures and casting treasure cruise for more fun.

Nowadays, standard is boring and bres have a reall hard time pulling good results.

>Playing Grixis Control
>Can beat Mardu Vehicles and CopyCat with decent opening hands fairly reliably
>Playing a round against this one kid who is pretty nice but has an absurd lisp
>Always says "Upkeep... duhwah" on each of his turns
>Within a few turns it's obvious he netdecked the Temur Dynavolt build right from MTGGoldfish card for card except for the Torrentials
>He makes mistakes like trying to use Horribly Awry on my Planeswalkers and Attune with Aether on my turn,
>Get mana flooded first game, no draw spells nor counterspells
>Kick the shit out of him game two because deck functions properly
>Game three cannot draw into any blue mana whatsoever and all I can do is stall
>Starts lecturing me at the end when he wins
>"Yeeaaah I just wearned that you weally need to countuh duhwah spells..." as he had thrown several Glimmers of Genius and Anticipates
>Point out I wanted to but I had no blue mana
>"...Yeeaaaah you weally need to countuh duhwah spells..."

I've never really cared much about winning or losing at FNM but that night started to get to me.

this was a gameday so we had something like 30 people int he shop that day, kaladesh it was
>like a third of the people brought rw vehicles
>a bit less than a third of people brought UW spirits
>UR thermo-thing-fevered meme
>BG marvel
overall I think less than 8 people had homebrews but my boy ended up high rolling everyone that day for the W

Really not sold on the UG Nissa 2bh.

It's scry and distraction. Not a bad card, but the opportunity cost of taking it over 2-4 other cards is what hurts.

It's also expensive and not something people are inclined to just try out. It actually needs to work and work well enough to justify losing those 2-4 cards.

If you play a deck fairly light on spells you can assume a good X value to drop her with and just start using her 0 ability immediately for free creatures or ramp.

>R/B Zombies
>facing mardu vehicles
>G1 get the absolute nut of neonate activation > haunted dead > pitch 2 amalgams > untap with 9 power on T3
>he just couldn't compete and scoops
>get decimated G2 just as fast, had slow start, minimal interaction, against a hand full of gas
>G3 he's swinging lethal with a heart of kiran, a pair of toolcrafts, and something else which I'm blanking on.
>have BBB mana, neonate, and three creatures on board, IIRC spirit token, zombie token, haunted dead.
>neonate into Pariah
>this catches a lot of people off guard.
>sac three things
>he sacs three things
>block the heart of kiran
>he can't recover
That game will forever be held in my memories, I felt so satisfied. Too bad it wasn't in top. I don't even think I made top that night.

I prefer playing something like Kiora, the Crashing Wave. I used to play her in my Sultai control deck back in theros-khans standard.

>Being the first time a netdecker has a loss against a Control deck
>Possibly being the first time they ever saw a Control deck
>They draw into their near empty hand on Turn 12+
>You see the light come back into their eyes
>Then that look when you immediately Void Shatter their believed top deck moment

Only thing that beats it is when you Flash in a Torrential to replay a Void Shatter since they know a robot is about to punch them in the face.

this makes me hard.

Am I the only one who thinks vehicles just fucked standard?

Nope. Vehicle power levels overall are too low to make in impact in other formats but in a standard where all the power is pushed onto creatures to begin with and the removal reflects this vehicles were too pushed

There should have been some greater risk to using Vehicles. Like if the Vehicle is destroyed the Crewed creatures are destroyed as well. But as it stands they just became way easier and safer to use Equipment combos in a meta with very little Instant removal.

>A two mana 3/3 that loots if it does something
>A two mana 4/4 flying vigilance
Yeah I think that's pretty fucked

actuallyseemslikefun/10

I think we know what you mean.

I'd cut the snek from the side board for another by force, release the gremlins, or the 2/2 naturalize guy.

Hey, trying to get some input and possibly a sideboard plan for a deck im working on. Anyone care to give some suggestions?

kaladesh was a mistake

well user next time just countuh duhwah spells. you weally need to

I think part of that is them continuing to double down on the "carefully crafted standard environment" thing. It's obvious when something is pushed and when something isn't.

>Rav theros couple weeks after mono black became a thing

>playing junk reanimator (still one of my favorite standard decks)
>opponent is an ex judge, all promo lands. Makes a point of flashing various GP gear

>he's on mono black, and soon as he sees I'm not on a tier deck starts acting all smug "this should be quick"

> game 3 I whip back Lord of the void, exile his gray merchant, as soon as I reach for his merchant to cast it, yells that's enough and snatches up his cards and leaves.
>it was round 2

Glorious times

Questions will always be more powerful than answers. Or do you think Skullclamp should be unbanned in Modern because Ancient Grudge exists?

I think the fact that creatures with Summoning Sickness can Crew was a bit too much. I understand the mechanics on why it's fine since it's another card making them tap instead of them using a tap ability themselves but it made so many of the Vehicles vastly more mana efficient creature. In a vacuum a Heart of Kiran could easily start swinging in on Turn 3 while a Serra Angel might be able to start swinging in on Turn 6.

Of all the standard I regret not playing, Junk Reanimator is among the top. It looked so fun to play with.

You know things are bad when you want a Theros level set back.

Will mono-red finally be viable?

Sets these days look great on first glance. Lots of synergistic mechanics and cool plays. Just look at the Modules from Kaladesh. Everyone imagined you could build a deck that was like a machine with lots of triggers to remember and things going on. Then it all fell by the wayside as people realised that it was all slow and vehicles could just run people over.

Mark my words, the exact same is going to happen with I'monket. No -1/-1 counter related deck will be tier 1. It'll just be Mardu v Saheeli, then if the cat gets the axe it'll be Mardu v Gx midrange. The new Lilly is fucking bananas in a format where midrange can exist.

It was a great deck, I still have most of it sleeved.

Theros was repetitive but the gap between tier 1 and tier 2 was much closer than the shit we have now.

>play just-for-fun casual on MTGO
>just want to play mill with my shitty cards from drafts
>get stomped by decks that are 100% rares

zzz

They need ban Felidar Guardian and do something to strip Mardu Vehicles of some of its power. If they had improved on Control I don't think bannings would be necessary but threats are just getting even stronger and little is coming in the way of answers.

Still going to try to make Grixis Control work, though. I want to be ready for Bolas.

They need to ban Gideon is what they need to do, but that'll never happen.

I hope they don't ban anything so I can punish the retards at my lgs who bought into mardu vehicles even more when harsh mentor drops

>I'm going to run this one card to punish one of the top decks!
Wow it's like you've learned absolutely nothing about why Standard is in the state it's in.

Because we have a hard hose for Saheeli in standard right now and it doesn't work?

because we have dozens of pushed creatures and planeswalkers and not enough solid answers to create a compelling format?

Could I bother you for a succinct explanation of spinning down dice?

They're 20-sided dice with the numbers arranged in a way that you only need move the die one face in a direction to find the next number down.

Because of this, they're not great for rolling.

>Because of this, they're not great for rolling.
Don't listen to this guy, he's likely autistic. If it rolls across the table, the number being selected is random.

adding on to this the only way the dice would not be fine for rolling is if it was balanced improperly, but this is true for any die. overall an imbalanced spin down will have greater deviations than a non-one but if you feel like this is happening then just replace the die in question

>turn 1 toolcraft exemplar
>your turn 1 land pass
>turn two heart of kiran, swing for 3
>your turn 2 harsh mentor
>turn 3 shock/fatal push + vetran motorist, swing for 8
>your turn 3, scoop

nothing was printed that changes the power of the deck
bannings are almost mandatory at this point with targets set on Heart of Kiran, Gideon Ally of Zendikar, and Felidar Guardian

I'm making a cheap skulk deck, any tips how should i play it? my actual strategy is based on just cheap creatures and blue counter shit like tapping and return to hand/deck, and then when i have many creatures i use a +2/ sorcery to all my creatures for the final attack

hardcore, oppressive control is actually what the format needs

when control is dominant it actually encourages different decks to emerge and often opens up formats since with control the deck is rarely winning on turn 3-5 and instead draws the game out for a long time trying to eventually just win through advantage meaning that for any deck playing against it they have time and options and while against some of the strongest control decks in history they may not have had an avenue for victory vs. most control decks there is usually a way to win or to keep playing the game even when down in advantage

vs. these current midrange/agro decks they just end the game on turn 4 so there is no real way to play the game with them. You either do your thing and win before they do or you. Keep interaction at a minimum and hope you draw your perfect curve.

I know people often don't like playing against control and complain when their cards get countered but ultimately the formats are healthier and more enjoyable when control is the top dog or at least one of the tier 1 contenders to keep the other decks honest

show me on the doll where vehicles touched you user

ok scenario #2
>them, toolcraft
>you: some 1 drop
>them Scrounger attack with toolcraft you either block and lose your creature if it has 1 or less attack or trade it it has over 2 attack
>you harsh mentor
>them unlicensed/shock/fatal push + a followup if not unlicensed
>you: now in a terrible position because you really need to think, do you develop a threat here and try to answer to board or do you just play a land and pass and leave up 3 mana in case they play gideon? what if they have Gideon and some other threat though so it doesn't matter how you play and no matter what they are going to have a good play in response to what you do? what if they still have removal since they run a huge chunk of it and you have only seen one of their 8-10 removal spells, fuck) make some play
>them: perfect answer in either the form of another board threat if you chose to leave your mana up or Gideon Ally of Zendikar if you chose to commit things to the board
>you scoop

this pattern ad infinitum
the deck possess too many threats with no way to answer all of them properly so you will always, always run into the situation where you are forced to play into a very bad situation where no matter the choice you make you will be punished for it because the deck is so consistent and versatile

I agree wholeheartedly. My favorite games are the ones that stretch out into Turn 10+ and tons of options are available for both players.

Control is kind of like a necessary evil for Magic. People hate those frustrating matches when it can be a dominant force but once it's gone from a format that format quickly becomes a rushed piece of garbage where most cards are completely non-viable because people min/maxed out the quickest, most efficient Combo or Agro decks and the only thing that can reliably beat those decks is a mirror match that has a better opener.

what trash deck do you play by chance user? are you an upset saheeli player by chance? appropriate holiday pepe included, happy easter?

Not him but did you ever consider that a person just doesn't want to see a format where over half of the meta consists of two decks?

Nobody does realistically but this user is just getting so ass mad over an implication that only he perceived that I have no choice but to antagonize him over it.
>HARSH MENTOR DOES NOTHING
>BAN MARDU VEHICLES OUT
>FUCKING STUPID BROKEN DECK REEEEEE
Like he's honestly creating scenarios where mardu vehicles is goldfishing except the other guy plays harsh mentor turn 2 and then says "nothing printed does nothing" ignoring the fact that next block green and red are getting decent artifact removal, harsh mentor hits more than just vehicles and is another PIECE that adds a roadblock to mardu vehicles, and realistically Saheeli combo is a larger cancer to the format than vehicles is

Greentext all you want, that is exactly how games against the deck go.

We're in a meta where we have literal hard counters to cat combo and it doesn't work, and Mardu Vehicles is so absurdly powerful either way that even banning out its top cards will allow it to remain as a viable archetype.

Even if those stories were some very optimal hands/plays for the proposed Mardu player they can still be plenty dangerous with much less optimal hands. Coping with their one drops getting buffed by either Heart of Kiran and/or Scrapheap Scrounger can be bad enough and it only gets worse if they can turn 4 a Gideon out.

I have managed to beat Mardu Vehicles with Grixis Control a few times at FNM but it was only with absolutely perfect opening hands where I could maintain board control to at least some extent before my Torrential Gearhulks could start hitting the field. It just can keep steamrolling along.

But his point is the power level is still so fucked right now that even if you have some counter cards there is no full deck that can compete.

If there was a new deck that ran all of these cards on the same power level yes it would work but right now they are just splashed or sided in current decks.

Maybe someone comes up with a good consistent and strong deck with new AMK stuff but mainly people will nitpick the strong cards from the set and add them to their vehicles and cat combo.

Saying X counters Y is just a bad argument because yeah it does but why don't I also always win game 2 and 3 every time if my side deck has the hard counters? Authority destroys cat combo so I should always beat it game 2/3 yeah?

You're forgetting that the vehicle deck can out-race a mentor even if they can't kill it.

Rate my new trash build. Can it work?

ALRIGHT LISTEN UP SENPAIS!
I really don't want to make another thread, so let's take mardu vehicles and see what can possibly make it stronger in this set, cause whatever can make it stronger from this set we definitely will see a few times in our local fnms, so let's see what kind of cancer we'll be facing come amonkhet. I'll start.
>Magma spray in sideboard to deal with mirror match scrapheaps
>New Gideon cause why not
>Cut to ribbons for meh removal with yet ANOTHER way to win in the long run.

Theros (and Khans) gave me Heroic, my favorite deck of all time. Plus I played like 3 other decks and they were all viable. I wish that standard would come back

M15 standard best standard

T W E L V E G I D E O N S