/osrg/ OSR General

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Links - Includes a list of OSR games, a wiki, scenarios, and a vast Trove of treasure!
pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd

>Discord Server - Live design help, game finder, etc.
discord.me/osrg

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools & Resources - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

old thread: thread Q: Is there a maximum level and why is it level 18?

Other urls found in this thread:

yourdungeonissuck.wordpress.com/2017/04/12/kabuki-kaiser-just-nuked-it-from-orbit/
kaiserkabuki.blogspot.co.nz/2017/04/the-end-of-cycle-and-new-hope.html
falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2017/02/the-three-keeps-of-eclipsed-kingdom.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7ycwVFYEb5k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is there a maximum level and why is it level 18?

I -wish- my games went anywhere even remotely far enough to anything that could apply as a maximum level.

What does /osrg/ about Matt Colville?

I run 5th and 6th level as a cap, kind of like an Epic6 game. Mostly for simplicity / flavor.
I halves XP requirements (need 1k to 2nd level, 2k to 3rd, etc).
All classes use the same XP table.
None of that matters during play.
No PC reached the cap yet.

The soft cap is 14, which gives slower leveling classes time to hit level 10 if you plan on retiring your party all together.
There is no hard cap, but that's more for the NPCs sake than it is for the players.

Well, all TSR D&D systems have level 9-10 as a soft cap where you stop gaining HD unless you get fucked over really hard by racial level limits earlier.

Well clearly he used dimension door to get the hell away from his party before doing the polymorph thing.

I prefer level 10, though I have been thinking of homebrewing 11-20 as immortal levels. I am not overly talented though.

Why would one need to polymorph to another species when you are already a different species from human as a dwarf?

>Why would one need to polymorph to another species when you are already a different species from human as a dwarf?
Oh shit, you're right. In that case, maybe he wanted to polymorph into a human so that he could commit suicide?

Are there any modules or adventures where the party is protecting some fixed position (town, fortress, mine, etc) against waves of enemies?

The Siege of Kratys Freehold, Dungeon Magazine #33

It's not even that terrible: most Dungeon Magazine adventures are awful, especially in the later years, but this one's okay.

>Matt Colville
He's a good public speaker and his videos have decent advice, though his games are story-heavy which isn't usually /osrg/'s dig. I watch some of his things when the title catches my attention, but I don't follow him closely. I would follow his twitter but he's vaguely obnoxious about things that aren't D&D.

The scroll hits much broader categories when blessed.
Still doesn't make sense to go for h, they clearly want @.

Thanks I'll check it out

Personally it irks me when a hard level cap isn't some multiple of 10.

Hey, YDIS is back!

yourdungeonissuck.wordpress.com/2017/04/12/kabuki-kaiser-just-nuked-it-from-orbit/

Newish gm here. Do people get to the level cap? How long does that take/how many sessions/modules etc?

About half a year of gaming got my party to level six before the game died.

Literally who.

Best random tables for dungeon dressings?

There are so many out there to choose from. Raging Swan has about a billion of them on their website that are of good quality.

kaiserkabuki.blogspot.co.nz/2017/04/the-end-of-cycle-and-new-hope.html

ZAK AND RAGGI STATUS: B T F O

Can anyone give me the rundown on Fire on The Velvet Horizon?
To my understanding there will never be a pdf but I'm not sure so much money for a physical copy of a statless monster book is worth the price tag.

Can anybody give me a quick rundown on all the drama in the OSR blogsphere? Like, I get that many people think that the more 'hipster' types like Zak and Raggi are assholes, but is that all there is to it?

Zak has been targetted for death by the SJW extremist sphere (the living strawmen ones) for something there is no proof of him saying or doing. He is also sorta an asshole so other people have used that to fuck with him. I don't know how Raggi fits in.

No, man. And if anyone does, they won't be doing you any favor.
Stay off this fake internet drama shit and post game content / about game content.

Spoiler: it's not. Don't pay money for stuff that's basically just someone's unedited campaign notes.

Still would save me the time of coming up with my own campaign notes, though?

The two main accusations are that Zak and Raggi are:

1. Hacks
2. Alt-right boogeymen

The truth is that they're just moderately self absorbed indie weenies who know that cultivating an edgy cult of personality around yourself is a great way to sell half-baked splatbooks to people with more money than sense.

Outside the OSR, there's serious evidence that Zak has told his fanboys to stalk and threaten people. David Hill of Onyx Path (World of Darkness licensee) quit the company because White Wolf hired him. Zak and Hill had previously had a twitter argument and then threats were sent to the school where Hill's kids attended. Also, despite being a flaming liberal pronographer, he's such an ass that rpgnet (liberal cesspool of the online rpg community) banned him. It takes a lot to get both liberal and conservative elements of the community to hate you at the same time. /wodg/ will delve into more details.

But the current OSR drama is this:
>Stuart is an artsy hipster OSR guy
>Stuart wants to map the OSR geographically and politically for unknown reasons
>Knights and Knaves Alehouse complains about this guy trying to drag IRL politics into elfgames
>turns into KnKA generally complaining about all these damn hipsters trying to make OSR into storygames 2.0
>Stuart gets assblasted and edits his post to mock KnKA
>Kabuki Kaiser is a well-regard OSR dude, supports KnKA and specifaclly denounces Zak

t. Zak

t. LOFTPdrone

Raggi is a metal hipster and kind of annoying but not really an asshole like Zak is.

Indie weenie hacks. That's a good way to summarize it.

>t. LOFTPdrone

Did I show my support for Raggi before or after I called him an edgelord and a half-baked posuer?

if you like patrick's other stuff then you should have a good idea of what to expect. I've gotten some cool stuff from it but I wouldnt recommend unless you've got a lot of money you don't need

What did he mean by that

Okay I was unaware that everyone hated him, in my post I had assumed it was just super libs.

But no I personally am not Zak. I've not liked any of his published work and only some of his blog and other content. I am just really cautious of witch hunts these days.

t. David Hill

Lotfp was a mistake

jokes aside, i just played a session using the acks rules for mass combat.
They work pretty well. Not too complicated not too simple.
I would say cavalry charges feel underpowered but otherwise its good.

If you guys ever need a mass combat system for your osr campaign i would reccomend picking it up.

Who the fuck is this and is he for real. Lmao

Do people generally prefer ACKS or An Echo, Resounding for domain management? I like lots of things about ACKs but it seems a bit too much of a spreadsheet simulator for my tastes.

Witch hunts and general clannishness is a big problem, but Zak really is that big of a douche that he pisses off people on both ends of the political spectrum.

Just before I reinvet the wheel - Is there a setting with a permanent eclipse (or something like that) out there?

Das Schwarze Auge? Or maybe the eclipse is metaphorical.

Also the Shadow Rift in Ravenloft.

Once you do the initial domain setup calculations (preferably outside a session) during actual play its actually pretty simple. No need for spreadsheets or anything like that.

The most complicated calculation youre gonna do is adding all the monthly wages for your army.

>Stay off this fake internet drama shit and post game content / about game content.

Just repeating good advice.

I think False Machine has an Azathoth-based thing going on. It's pretty weird but might have ideas worth stealing.
falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2017/02/the-three-keeps-of-eclipsed-kingdom.html

>he's such an ass that rpgnet (liberal cesspool of the online rpg community) banned him
Bruh
Wat r u doin
It takes approximately nothing to get banned from Big Purp, it's a worse shithole than . Are you literally that Ettin guy shitposting?

>Okay I was unaware that everyone hated him
Not everyone hates him at all, it's just this one guy in /osrg/ who has a hateboner for him (and I think there are two or three who have hateboners for Raggi, but it might just be the same guy who works hard). Tb h his stuff is some of the most popular work discussed in here, this just looks like some witchhunter shill who's come here to rage about Zak in his infinite stalking quest.

I'm just going to enjoy everyone's work instead of worry about which creators have hate-boners for each other! =D

I concur with this post.

The Big Purple blows.

>kaiserkabuki.blogspot.co.nz/2017/04/the-end-of-cycle-and-new-hope.html

Oh my fucking God, the K&K thread that that blog post links to.

"Fuck the OSR"? What a bunch of insular, cunty, whiny, neckbeard dipshits. Bitching about the "OSR Taliban" when they're being snooty "Early Gygaxian" Nazis.

Thanks, mate, funniest shit I've seen all week.

May I draw your attention to @52721981
Note the distinctively un-Veeky Forums style of posting, and the capitalization of each word indicating that it is a phoneposter. Note the terms that are foreign to Veeky Forums vernacular (Big Purp) and the irrelevant mention of /mlp/. I wonder WHO could be behind this post.

>shills shitty hipster products
>accuses others of being shills
$0.01 has been deposited into your drivethrurpg account.

I need that blessed scroll of genocide asap...

just cause his work is popular doesn't mean he himself isn't disliked. You need learn to dissociate the person from his work.

Thanks, but I was thinking more about gameable content, not
>Very little can be found in the city without first knowing what you are looking for, the centres of ruined buildings may still hold secret life, unlikely alleys or locked gates may disguise secret homes [...]

>Thanks, but I was thinking more about gameable content
Ah, well, in that case, False Machine is probably not for you...

But what sort of eclipe-specific content are you looking for?

Anyone have a copy of Microlit74 Ultimate?

Kek, I started some of the earliest /osrg/ threads. I've been here the whole time.

Assuming this was a vanilla D&D setting where the sun suddenly went out
>sun gods drastically decrease in power
>sun cultists become a necessary but dangerous part of human society
>think of fundamentalists who want jumpstart the apocalypse so that the sun comes back
>creatures that previously were weakened under sunlight now walk the land, including undead and normally underground creatures
>nocturnal animals become more widespread while diurnal species either adapt or die off
>conflict between undead who want to kill everything (Wraiths) and those who harvest living creatures (Vampires)
>orcs, goblins, etc. spread across the land but have to fight newcomers such as derro, gibberlings, drow, etc.
>a lot of plantlife dies or is severely crippled
>humans and non-drow/non-sea elves on the brink of extinction

Note @52722606's continued attempts at damage control. He invokes seniority and supposed creativity to prop up his clout. Even more laughable is that he does this on an anonymous taiwanese basket-weaving forum.

>I started some of the earliest /osrg/ threads

Aha! So the Illuminati have been behind it from the start! I knew it!

>@

Seems like you're the foreign one.

He is fun to listen to - story time and all of that. I appreciate his "how to GM/play" videos as I feel they are of much better quality than what DawnForgedCast or such would make (although I don't watch the how to videos).

Note that @52722734 doesn't know of the practice of using @ while quoting instead of >> to avoid giving (You)s to trolls and shills. Clearly he is an outsider and part of the Zak Internet Defense Force, ZIDF for short.

This is nice: I was thinking about making it a bit points-of-light kek with big but poor cities and desert rural areas. Kind of like a palette-sifted Zelda 1 and medieval mad max, but I sort of like the idea that humans can still kind of comfortably (love me some decadence).
Unsure about lycanthopes, since the moon is still moving - the sun is blocked by something-alien. It could could make them do something interesting, idk.

Oh and I didn't notice about the sun gods, thanks for that - I was planning to have a darksoulsy pantheon also tied to alignment. I'll give it some thought.

No one does this. Its cute you think (you)s are important in a metacurrency way though. Have one.

What's the exchange rate from (You)s to (you)s?
How many experience points are they worth?

How the hell do you use JG37 Blackmoor?
I'm a few pages in and it looks like a Age of Empires boardgame sans the actual rules. Am I missing something?

I switched to the silver (you) standard.

Can I please have some more cool combat rules? Sharing one with you.

If you go to the right place you can trade 10 (you)s for an internet blowjob

Id don't like that rule because thieves are meant to do good damage since they can use many warrior weapons like the sword and bow, but aren't quite as effective due to thac0 and low hp

How the fuck do I get into contact with Trove Guy? i got shit to give him

Also I backed for the MCC *everything* edition, same with DCC Lankmar. I wanna give that nigga some PDFs....

He's been incommunicado for a while. Some discordfags said he shows up there from time to time, but he's not posted in the thread since forever. I don't know who's managing the Trove now, since stuff I posted months ago never went in.

Well, there's a discord for osrg?

Yeah, apparently so. Most generals develop that sort of cancer eventually.

Kek, I'm reading the blog post that spawned this whole K&K Alehouse spergfest now and it's like he just couldn't let go of grievances from ten years ago.
>the execrable Carcosa
I can't believe there are still grogs squawking about that. I bet he likes Tekumel, as well.

I should add though, a couple people in the K&K thread are really sane and sensible so far -- Philotomy and Rob Conley stick out as being entirely reasonable.

>tfw Philotomy-sempai didn't let you down

So are you thinking that the eclipse is:
1. New, as in this morning
2. New, as last week
3. New, as in within a few years
4. Within living memory
5. Ancient

And is it
1. Just a part of the setting
2. Something the PCs have to fix
3. Something everyone is working to fix
4. Going to kill everyoneone.

And is the general tone
1. Doomed (the Road)
2. Doomed but Hopeful (Mad Max)
3. Weird (Dark Sun)
4. Really Weird (Tank Girl)
5. Hopeful (Majora's Mask)

Because this will dictate the shape of your game, and the shape of the plot. You can then worldbuild to match, both thematically and practically.

Simpsons did it.

Add a fifth option to
>And is it
so I can dice+3d5

Iron Maiden did it first.

youtube.com/watch?v=7ycwVFYEb5k

This might not be the kind of thing you want to randomly generate, but OK. 3d6.

So are you thinking that the eclipse is:
1. New, as in this morning
2. New, as last week
3. New, as in within a few years
4. Within living memory
5. Within a few centuries
6. Ancient

And is it
1. Just a part of the setting
2. Something the PCs have to fix
3. Something everyone is working to fix
4. Going to kill everyone very quickly.
5. Going to kill everyone within a few years.
6. Something the PCs have to maintain for some reason.

And is the general tone
1. Doomed (the Road)
2. Doomed but Hopeful (Mad Max)
3. Weird (Dark Sun)
4. Really Weird (Tank Girl)
5. Hopeful (Majora's Mask)
6. Completely standard D&D OSR Murderhobo tone

>So are you thinking that the eclipse is:
6. Fairly new. Or: old enough to have a small impact and foreshadow dark & grim stuff.

>And is it
Yes, yes, all of that - not a super heavy influence on mechanics or story, tho.
Obviously not *everybody* is working to fix it, and not *everybody* wil die because of it.

>general tone
It's generic D&D with a coat of paint and a couple of quirks.

Rolled 6, 1, 3 = 10 (3d6)

Ancient, Just Part of the Setting, and Weird.

Well, I guess you're going back to False Machine then.

If you've got a new eclipse, you've got to deal with the questions people are asking about it: how do we fix it, what does it mean, and is it going to get worse?

>Yes, yes, all of that - not a super heavy influence on [...] story, tho.

Don't see how you're going to get away with that.

A total eclipse only normally occurs along a small portion of the earth's surface. The rest gets a partial eclipse.

During a total eclipse, less than 1% of the sun's light reaches the earth. This is very bad. You can't farm. Winds are fucked. Everything starts to freeze very rapidly. Light is important, and not just for seeing where you're going. It's going to have a major impact on the story no matter what.

>A total eclipse only normally occurs along a small portion of the earth's surface.
A continuous total eclipse that moves around but always effects *some part* of the world might be workable.

Absolutely. You might need to handwave some orbital geometry to get it to work though.

And really, then effect is less "permanent eclipse" than "a fuck ton of eclipses happen here for some reason". Seems like you're just going to end up with the classic blood moon archetype by a different name.

>questions
players will trigger it
other than that, nobody knows

Yeah, the consequences of a -total- eclipse would be very anti-human, more than I'd like. I'll come up with something (or bullshit it).

I spent a lot of time researching this shit, then decided "it's a eclipse" -- it covers at least a continent and it's permanent (more or less). It's artificial/magical so fuck logic.

In that case, since you're still approaching this from the vaguest possible angle, the worldbuilding general thread might be better for you than the OSR thread. There's not a lot for you here until you know what your plan is.

My fundamental disagreement with the OSR was the decision they made en-masse early on to reject AD&D (i.e. the real game) in favor of OD&D (i.e. the rough draft beta-test version) or, even worse, B/X D&D (the watered-down version for kids). I can sort of understand the former, since the original game (by virtue of its incompleteness) ostensibly allows for more DIY-style customization (though I differ with most OSR-types about how much of a virtue that really is), but the latter is, IMO, just pure wrong-headed laziness. That one decision feels to me like the root of pretty much everything that's gone wrong with that "movement" ever since.

I'd still be up for an AD&D revival, since with a very few exceptions (OSRIC, Joe Browning's Advanced Adventures) that's not what we got the first time around, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cool

>it covers at least a continent and it's permanent (more or less).
Reminds me of a setting I saw on Veeky Forums at... some point.

Cube shape world, each face was roughly the size of Great Britain IIRC.
Travel between faces was rare, and almost no one returns to tell of it.
You could cross each edge of the cubes exactly once in your life.
The 1s face was a dark wasteland, without any life.

Each face also has it's corresponding number show up just about everywhere.
Also the faces might have had pips embossed into them?
At the very least, the 1 had an enormous pit to the center of the world.

More, I'm stealing this.

explain

Stupid nerd clique drama, wasting pixels and bytes.

We need more treasure. Pic related.

Are there more of these?

kek. copypasta of the day.

>B/X is too kiddie! Play my preferred elfgame instead!
>t. T. Foster

Amazing how faggots still use blue for maps in 2017.
Specially for screen.
Specially that kind of unreadable cyan.
Specially when they do it without knowing that the only purpose for it is making player handouts, since you can doodle with a black pen on a blue map then remove the blue as you photocopy it.