Players Blaming you for their Mistakes

Post stories of players doing stupid shit and blaming you

>GMing UESRPG (Elder Scrolls tabletop system)
>Party recently had a run in with Sanguine, the god of debauchery
>Party encounters troll
>Mage character hears voice in his head
>Mage character assumes Sanguine has taken the form of a troll and is talking to him telepathically
>Mage character walks up to troll and says "thank you for your blessing"
>Troll bitch slaps mage on his arm, knocking it off
>Mage spends rest of campaign with a primitive prosthetic holding a sword for a right arm
>Acts like I'm such a horrible GM for making his retardation have consequences for a good 30 minutes

>slaps mage on his arm, knocking it off

It was a troll, he was a mage, that's the way it rolled.

>>Troll bitch slaps mage on his arm, knocking it off

Trolls can amputate with one hit?

I think your players are right and you're just retarded, mate.

Well, seeing as how you can get bitch- slapped by a TES troll (especially in low levels) and sent halfway down a mountain, I don't see why it couldn't slap the arm out of your socket.

Did it just hit and you said it took his arm off, or are there actual rules in the system for this?

There's a difference between causing enough impact to be sent sprawling and enough to outright tear a limb out of it's socket.

Especially if it's a "bitchslap."

Yes, he had a wound threshold of 6, he took 25 damage, 4 times wound threshold detaches hit location and knocks unconscious. Books for the system are free online, see for yourself.

Fuck! And there are no ways to heal stuff like that?

With good enough restoration I guess, but he wasn't really high level, I expected him to go around the troll.

A thread about GMs who don't know what they're doing? All right then!

>Cabal of Wizards send party to retrieve fabled scroll and return it to them
>after fighting their way through the lair of the man who guards it the PCs grab it and open it verify its contents
>immediately transported to wizards, who are surprised to hear they opened it
>"Oh, well in that case let's send you all back and forget this thing"
>GM has the wizards immediately teleport the party back to the lair and wiped their minds that they ever talked to the wizards
>GM didn't understand why we were upset

Eventually this mistakes piled up too high so we booted him from the campaign and finished it ourselves after he had our PCs mind controlled and forced to slaughter innocent people for months until the bard finally succeeded on the stupidly high Will Save and sang the sorceress and her monstrous bodyguard to death.

>I expected him to go around the troll.
Then you shouldn't have set the party up to encounter a daedric god and then hear voices near the troll and assume it was a test.

The only way you could have made that scenario more retarded was if they had decided to avoid it, it would have ended up being the god.

If they knew the risks of the system going in, then they have no right to complain. It's like being butthurt that an illithid popped your noggin. That being said, I'd have probably thrown and intelligence roll their way to see if the mage character had more common sense than the player did.

...Jesus. That's not really very elder scrolls...

The system has a lot of influence from Runequest.

I believe I found the problem.
>Its mechanics are heavily influenced by the Dark Heresy system.

And why the fuck would the god of debauchery posses a troll instead of directly talking to the mage? Plus, he didn't even call out from a distance, he walked up to within feet of the troll and tried to thank it.

...what made them think those had thematic overlap? Elder Scrolls is a rather high fantasy, pulpy game. I mean, Redguard starts off with 'Pirates are attacking your ship, swashbuckle them off the side'.

>Troll bitch slaps mage on his arm, knocking it off

Your players were right, you're retarded

Please refer to an earlier reply explaining the rules in the system that support my claim. Also, only the mage was mad, the rest of the group was making fun of him the whole time.

>Why would the God of Debauchery possess a Troll?
Well gee, I don't know? Why WOULD a God of Debauchery possess a Troll?
Perhaps because he's the God of Debauchery and you've got to seduce the troll?
Maybe when they met he took them on a wild night and the trail leads back to the troll?
Maybe he just likes being a fucking troll?

Probably was made during the "Everything had to be Dark Heresy" fad when it was released.

Just because the rules support it, doesn't mean it's not retarded.
Someone is retarded here and it's either the rules or you.

Sure, it's possible, but there was obviously a chance it wasn't too, call out from a distance, don't fucking walk up to the thing, this is simple common sense, I even pulled an "are you sure".

You sound like a faggot GM. Assuming it was the god in troll form is a perfectly reasonable assumption in TES lore and in your campaign

You're playing an TES themed game and have involved Daedric Gods. Common Sense stepped out for a smoke as soon as Sanguine showed up to party.

I said bitch slapped for comic effect, it hit him pretty hard, he had no armor, spectacularly low endurance, and it's a fucking troll that rolled well, I think it could take his arm off.

Yeah, the choice to base UESRPG off Runequest/DH is a weird one IMO. Especially since TES was originally a D&D campaign, not a Runequest one.

>I think it could take his arm off.
Could it have, possibly. According to rules, definately.
Should it, in game, maim a character permanently? Probably not.

Having it bitch smack him, send him reeling, breaking his arm and possibly knocking him out would have probably been a more appropriate response.

Having it tear the arm out of it's socket is unnecessary.

Some things work well, some don't, generally it's the amount of crunch that's the worst part so not good for new groups.

Why should I limit the consequences? Even if it was reasonable to think it might have been Sanguine, he could have called out from a distance, but he basically fucking put his arm around the damn things, he's lucky I bent the rules a little to even let him not get hit again and die. On another note, I had specifically told him I was going to make this campaign deadly and not fudge too many rolls to save characters.

But why would he appear as a fuckin troll? If I was a great god, I'd appear in atleast human form, not a god damn troll. That is a daedric god who also has been shown to appear in human in atleast 1 game, and a fan of corruption and temptation. Something of a demon of lust. But no, he'd come as a fucking dumb ass troll just standing there.

That's why the player is an idiot. Sanguine did not appear as a troll, it's just a regular troll.

You're not limiting the consequences, you still fucked up the character hard. He has a broken arm, is probably bleeding bad and out on the ground and the party has to fight an angry troll now.

A game is no less lethal just because you decided not to have the troll randomly smack an arm off, it still bitch slapped him in one hit and you're not fudging rolls to save the character.

What you're doing is avoiding excessive overkill to punish the player because they did something unexpected, especially after a situation where that action is reasonable in setting and campaign.

It also reduces player complaints and bitching, by not permanently maiming the player's character, but still causes loss of use in that arm until he gets it healed.

>God of Debauchery
>Why would he appear as a Troll?
Gee, I don't know, doc? Why would he appear as a troll?
What could he have needed that goat for? Where have my pants gone? Why are there hagraven feathers all over the place?

Fuck, this is Elder Scrolls, there's a chance that the troll was depressed and wanted a friend, because it thinks it's not a good enough troll and wants to kill itself.

YOU STILL DON'T RISK YOUR LIFE BASED ON THAT ASSUMPTION

After meeting partying with Sanguine and hearing voices near the troll?
Sure you do.

>WTF GM?!? What do you mean that the gun blew my brains out when I picked it up and fired it into my head? It was just sitting there on the table, it's a perfectly reasonable situation that it would be unloaded!

Has it occurred to any of you that perhaps it was just as reasonable that a wild, rabid troll might not be the source of random telepathy and might in fact, rip a man's arm off?

Nice Strawman.
The gun isn't a Daedric God known for causing unusual or strange after effects after a night of partying, in a setting where it's completely reasonable to assume that after partying with such a god he may cause trials or interact with the party in such a way. Especially when you seemed to have set up the encounter specifically so they'd make that mistake.

What you're doing is more akin to the party encountering Sheogorath, aquiring the Fork of Horripilation and being told to kill a Bull Netch, then having the Bull Netch one shot them and telling them they're stupid for trying to kill it with a fork.

You have a perfectly reasonable alternate reaction here: that keeps the danger of the encounter the same without randomly maiming a character permanently.

Assuming you're OP, you even admitted yourself here that it was possible that it was related to Sanguine and have the entire thread telling you that it was a perfectly reasonable action in that situation taking what had been said occurred and taking the setting into account.

is not OP, just so you know, and the point is even if it is possible for it to work out that way, that doesn't mean you throw out common sense, especially when you're a fucking mage, and are supposed to be intelligent

Again, they partied with Sanguine. Common Sense took a smoke break as soon as he showed up.

The only thing worse would be is if Sheogorath was involved, in which case common sense would have jumped out the second story window, done a triple backflip, and slammed into the front of an oncoming truck, being carried off into a sunset.

I'm not OP, and I'm not saying that it's impossible, or even super unlikely. I'm just saying that the troll being a stupid, hungry animal was also a perfectly reasonable and likely situation, and you're an idiot if you think that just because a safe outcome (Sanguine troll) is reasonable, that any and all outcomes that are bad for you are completely out of the question, regardless of how reasonable they are. Plus, the guy presumably knew that losing an arm was possible going in (assuming he read the rules of the game he was playing). There's no reason to blame the GM for following the rules when a player doesn't think the possibilities of their actions through and just assume that the first conclusion they come to is correct.

I never said it wasn't, I did say it smacking an arm off was retarded and over excessive however, because you can achieve the same effect without removing the arm and reducing player bitching at the same time.

This being said, now that it's happened, OP should consider a side quest to let the mage get a bitchin' Daedric or Dwemer Arm that he can channel magic through.

This happened a long time ago. During these days I favored open rolling and didn't give a fuck about player stupidity.

>AD&D 2e
>PCs dicking around in the woods. Stop for the night.
>PC on guard duty gets bored and scouts around.
>Roll wandering monster...Fire Beetles.
>PC finds bug hole. Instead of investigating (or leaving it the fuck alone) climbs a tree and pisses down the hole.
>another PC wakes up, finds first PC and joins him in the tree urinating down bug hole.
>roll no. appearing....30...
>Pissed on Fire Beetles swarm out...up tree...kill both PC's (they chose to stand and fight!), then make their way to PC camp.
>no one called out a warning before dying.
>remaining 3 PC's dead....

>Probably was made during the "Everything had to be Dark Heresy" fad when it was released.

That was a terrible, terrible fad.

Pic related for whole thread