Waterworld-like game

As a player, would a post-flood planet (a la Waterworld) interest you as a setting?

What sort of quests or features would you want to be included?

How would the standard fantasy races fare in a worldwide flood?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AquaNox
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think it would be fun for a few sessions, but it would get old pretty fast.

Easy enough. Treat it like the Plane of Water, and give the players means of submerging for extended periods of time so they can do aquatic adventures. That's a field that hasn't been touched in ages in almost any official capacity barring having rules for it. Underwater cities, exploring kelp 'forests', undersea volcanoes and cave systems. Could be fun, especially if the campaign goal is to reduce the sea level again or at least find a way off this fucked world. Could run it as, basically, Dark Sun but with the reverse issue: too MUCH water (especially if it's seawater and therefore annoying as hell)

Do it a là Waterworld proper.

Apocalypse World is the game, just change the vehicles.

I would hope the GM remembered the eldritch sea cult. No oceanic fantasy campaign is complete without at least one.

I mean, I'm doing a Planescape game set in the Inner planes, so, "all X" is pretty much what you got there. Even in "all X" there's plenty that puts the lie to that, however. Pockets of earth, bubbles of air, eternal fire. Your bet there is to do things to make it NOT seem like a bland endless ocean. A hexcrawl could work, but you still need points of reference. Magic buoys, a metal-"berg" of congealed steel, an enormous whirlpool, zaratan migration paths (which would be highly fought over as the only 'land' left)

Look up the details of an old game called AquaNox

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AquaNox

>Pirates, Mad Max + Oceans
>Sea monsters
>Cthulhu-tier full retard "drown everything oh great leviathan god of death" cultists
>Underwater ruins
>Battles for the few, if any, existing landmasses
>Battles for the backs of giant turtle shells with castles on them
>Getting the fuck out of dodge when the giant turtle is woken up by the battle and decides to submerge
>Pissing off various sea gods and getting rekt by storms, trying not to die in said storms, finding cool stuff after said storm drifts you into some unexplored part of the ocean
>Dudes who ride giant albatrosses that never land

Sounds fun. I hope there are flying ships and regular ships and submarines and shit, even if they're literally just "wooden hull strapped to the bottom of buoyant material with the top painted blue, a breathing hole and a periscope"

Great ideas and suggestions guys, loving it

>Dwarves settle around underwater volcanic vents, harvesting obsidian for their tools and crafts

Enough people on Veeky Forums were interested in that exact setting that they got together and made a system about it. You should give it a read.

What would the cause of the flood?

>Plane of water leaking to the material plane?

>Fantasy global warming?

>Some other third thing?

Before opening
>This might be exactly what I was looking for!

After opening
>Fucking furries...

Nah but this will probably be super useful to e thanks a bunch

The campaign I'm looking to run is going to be decidedly more unforgiving than this system.

I expect a character death within the first couple sessions. It is a ravaged, war-torn, post apocalyptic world.

The concept of an 'evertross' excites me

>Apocalypse World
FUCK.
If I had seen this before I let my players roll characters and write backstories in 5e I would be absolutely using this.

Remember. No Kevin Costner.

Reuse backstories, make the characters again.
Why would you limit yourself with 5e when better alternatives exist

Alternatively, only Kevin Costners.

Every NPC is Kevin.

not op btw

There definitely need to be giant sea turtles people live on. And ice at the poles providing a sort of solid ground, the people living there would be pretty grim but also impeccably polite because their goddess demands it. And an undead empire somewhere on the bottom of the sea, ruled by an Illithid lich. And the Sahuagin never abduct goblins for their sacrifices because it was one of them that caused the world to become flooded.

Man that was a good series of quest threads.

There was a recent release for Pathfinder that was all about teh elemental planes of existence, and it had a lot of interesting bits about the Elemental Plane of Water like an entire City-state inside of an enormous Lamprey, and another that was on an Ice berg.

Also remember that Aboleths would play a bigger part in the world, as they operate primarily in the water.

I suggest that if you decide to let players try and fix the world before that you seed it with locations like, say, the top of an ancient Dwarven stronghold that was built into a really tall mountain. You can enter it and gain insight into what the world was like before but you have to deal with the strange denizens that now live there.

>And an undead empire somewhere on the bottom of the sea, ruled by an Illithid lich.

Stealing. Thank you.

What. Have. You. Done!

Goblins riding jetskis.

Don't be afraid to include small to mid size landmasses in your campaign, there are tons of modules out there, and even a campaign setting or two that are all focused on a single island so things like Isle of the Ape and the Judges Guild islands book is a gold mine of information.

It can also lead to interesting ideas like what if the Elves of this world decided to preserve their forest home by keeping an island for themselves while the other races started to drown?
It would cause a lot of conflict and tension between them and the other races of this world.

Don't forget creatures by wizards, the sea offers far more interesting combinations than just owlbears.

Paddle boats or water wheel boats that are hand cranked by multiple goblins to get that speed!

I'm making a campaign like that but entirely underwater rather than above water, with a few bubble cities for regular humans.

>What sort of quests or features would you want to be included?

Just run it like an episode of WETSUIT