What races are left for 5e Planescape?

So, we all know that WoTC's "Plan Escape" teaser turned out to be drumming up interest for the release of the Enhanced Edition of Planescape: Torment. But, let's suppose that this indicated WoTC may be considering a Planescape sourcebook - a Manual of the Planes, an Adventurer's Guide to Sigil, whatever - in the near future.

Like the title says, what sort of new PC races could such a book include? The original Planescape corebook gave us the Tiefling, the Bariaur, and the Githzerai, whilst the Planewalker's Handbook expanded the list with Aasimar, Genasi, and Rogue Modron. Other "planar" races in other editions have included bladelings, satyrs, hamadryads, eladrin, shadar-kai and githyanki.

So, what races do you think 5e could stat up for those who want a planes-based campaign? What races would you want to see in a 5e Planescape setting?

Heck, just what material do you think 5e absolutely needs before you can run a 5e Planescape game?

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/doc/48456344/Ps-the-Complete-Book-of-Bariaur
scribd.com/doc/48456253/bariaur-book-of-belief
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's a pretty cool picture. I've not read any 5E, what book is it?

It's in the 5th edition Dungeon Master's Guide, on page fifty-seven (57).

Personally, if we did get a "Player's Guide to Sigil", these are races I could see making an appearance, presuming that more 'common' monstrous PC type races would be better served in a Spelljamming-focused sourcebook...

* New Tiefling variants: We did get Demonic/Abyssal tieflings in one UA, so a refinement of that, and new subraces for Yugoloths and/or Night Hags and/or Succubi makes sense to me.

* New Genasi variants: Although not quite as fluid as the old Elemental Chaos, with the new Elemental Planes line-up, there's still room for Genasi outside of the Earth/Air/Water/Fire quartet. Hell, it's not like we didn't have para' and quasi' genasi in editions past.

* Githzerai: This race is pretty much the only "iconic" and original Planescape PC race we don't have in 5e so far (Genasi appeared in Princes of the Apocalypse, Tieflings in the corebook, Aasimar in Volo's Guide to Monsters). With the awesomeness that is Dak'kon now returned to PC, why not give the option to explore the Children of Zerthimon to players?

* Githyanki: I've honestly never seen the rationale for the entire githyanki race to be so blind to their own hypocricies. I feel that even if they would be a rarity as a whole, in a game where playing "the exotic" is supposed to be normal, why shouldn't "githyanki who realized Vlaakith has enslaved them" be any more unplayable than "drow who's working alongside non-drow" in an FR game?

* Bariaur: These are the third of the original Planescape Races, but I don't honestly know if WoTC could pull them off. Plus, they were always kind of goofy...

* Rogue Modron: The most famous of Planescape's races, after Planetouched and Githzerai. With Nordom now back in the public eye, why not give the chance to let people play his kinsfolk?

* Shadar-Kai: The 5e Great Wheel did retain the Shadowfell, in one of its better decisions, and Shadar-Kai were the "iconic" Shadowfell natives of 4th edition. I can't think of a better "dead realmer" to have walking the planes.

>What races would you want to see in a 5e Planescape setting?
Gith, both -zerai and -yanki.
An option for randomly generated Tieflings
Bariaur
Rogue Modrons

>Heck, just what material do you think 5e absolutely needs before you can run a 5e Planescape game?
Psionics

>Tiefling

Make them actual Tieflings again, with weird shit. The random effects list that you see around here, shit like that. Planescape was always about the weird stuff being mundane with mundane stuff being weird.

I'm an ignorant faggot; what is a bariaur?

Imagine a goatman centaur.

>Walk in to bar on Sigil
>see a Gith war party angrily discussing what their next Mind-Flayer Fortress
>Smoldering demons lazily stood quietly in the corner debating
>Huge hourse-men boasting and headbutting each other casually
>Modron's recording every detail about the bar from occupants, number of chairs, tiles and drinks
>Genasi trading in life and death in a legal manner
>Regular guy just standing there in normal armor, sword and shield

Weird and gross. Fauns >Bariaur in that case.

Bounded accuracy is going to make this laughable.

Maybe we'll go back to the old way of Tieflings. Where they can come from ANY planar race of non-angelic decent.

>bariaur
Your mileage will vary but yeah, generally they are pretty filthy looking goat men often used to depicted the poor trodden on Free-League Faction.

Even during my planescape prime I generally had the same opinion of "Why not just use Fauns?" The planes of Chaos boxset made sure you understood Fauns existed across all CG planes. Never understood why we never got them as a race.

>Ugh forget contrasting picture.

>that guy who insists on playing MHF
>even when the MHF is the snowflake

>shadar-kai
2nd and 3rd also had quite excessive lore on the inhabitant of the Plane of Shadows detailing the daily lives of shadow-people shadow-folk, shadow-doubels.
Also like no adaptation required, in my games I just dumped most of that lore onto Shadow-kai and it fits with no gasp players would ever run into.

There were also those Demi-Orange Slaad. A PC race poorly named the nephilim.

And I'm sure you could do something with the Mercane/Arance merchant race.

fwiw, the Spelljammer Arcane never had playable stats because they were meant to be mysterious assholes who just go around selling spelljammer tech.

Well your right, but neither have fuans (mentioned above). I always thought you could easily adapt Me-Arcanes for PCs.
But if some purests are going to throw their shit over it, then let them stay mysterious jerks. It's not like the great wheel doesn't have a nice selection of races already.

Doing the Yanki and Zerai as subraces, with the main race being gith is a good idea.

It also offers expansion for Athasian or Spelljammer gith in the future.

On the topic of planescape, Veeky Forums...

What can change the nature of a man?

Why do you feel psionics is essential before a 5e Planescape can be a thing? Wasn't "psionics is everywhere!" more of a Dark Sun thing?

I'm not against this. But, how exactly would this differ from "you take the PHB tiefling stats and use this table of random appearance traits", which you can already do with the DM's permission and the fact that the 2e appearance table is on 1d4chan?

I don't follow where this comment is coming from. Hell, if Planescape can shake off the "you have to be high level to play as anything other than everybody else's bitch" stigma, isn't that ultimately a good thing?

Now that's an interesting idea. When I tried doing Giths as a species, I made them seperate, but the subrace mechanic could enforce that they're ultimately just splinters of the same race. Intriguing... how would you stat such a race?

So, simple query; which general "class" of races do folks think is most important to a Planescape setting?

Proper extraplanar races & planetouched (bariaur, gith, rogue modrons, etc)?

Or planar versions of prime races? That is, dwarves from Celestia, gnomes from Bytopia, elves from Arvandor, etc?

My guess is racewise you'd be looking at something like:

Ability Score Increases. Your Dexterity Increases by 2.
Age. As per humans?
Alignment. Tend towards lawful, Githyanki tend towards evil, while Githzerai tend towards neutrality.
Size: Medium.
Speed. 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Language. You speak, read, and write Gith and Common.
Subrace. There are two major subraces of Gith, Githyanki and Githzerai, choose one of these subraces.

Githyanki
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Githyanki Psionics. You know the Mage Hand cantrip (the hand is invisible.) Once you reach 3rd level you can cast the Jump spell once per day. Once you reach 5th level you can also cast the Misty Step spell once per day. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Githzerai
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Githzerai Psionics. You know the Mage Hand cantrip (the hand is invisible.) Once you reach 3rd level you can cast the Shield spell once per day. Once you reach 5th level you can also cast the See Invisibility spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

At least as a basis. The Darkvision's from 2e planescape's Githzerai race.
The MM's boost to Githzerai is probably due to them being monks. (As it's a class feature)
You could also give them Gith weapon training or something to let everyone use (silver) swords.

Bro, Wizards have been referencing a bunch of planar and Planescape stuff in most of their released books so far, so here's hoping something involving Planescape, not the vidya, is next released.

Plane of Horse inhabited by centaurs and reverse centaurs

And double-centaurs, which are just horses.

Hmm... not bad. Think there's more potentials in there somewhere. Need to consider... For comparison, this is what I did for my 5e giths:

Githyanki
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Strength or +1 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Hate Breaks All Shackles: A githyanki has Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed and Stunned effects, and on saving throws to end those effects.
Mind Slicer: While a githyanki is wielding a weapon that inflicts Slashing damage, once per short rest, it can spend an action to “charge” that weapon with psionic energy. Whilst charged, that weapon inflicts an additional +d6 Psychic damage on a successful strike. Maintaining this psionic charge is a Concentration effect.
Pain Becomes Strength: Once per turn, when a githyanki takes damage from an enemy attack, it can spend its Reaction to make an immediate melee attack. Additionally, if a githyanki has exhausted its Mind Slicer ability, it can choose to spend one hit dice to reactivate it instead of waiting to take a short rest.
Hand of Will: A githyanki can cast a variant of the Mage Hand cantrip at will, using Intelligence as its casting ability score. This variant follows all of the normal rules for Mage Hand, but the “hand” is invisible.

Githzerai
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +1 Intelligence or +1 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Shield of Will: A githzerai can cast a variant of Mage Armor once per long rest. This variant grants an AC of 13 + the githzerai’s Wisdom modifier and does not require a material component.
Fortress of Discipline: A githzerai has Advantage on saving throws against Charm, Paralyzed and Stunned effects.
Fluid as Thought: Once per turn, if a direct attack against a githzerai misses, the githzerai can spend its Reaction to move 5 feet.
Hand of Will: A githzerai can cast a variant of the Mage Hand cantrip at will, using Wisdom as its casting ability score. This variant follows all of the normal rules for Mage Hand, but the “hand” is invisible.

>female
>horns

To be fair, the Book of Bariaur (a semi-official splat made by one of the Planescape team after TSR folded) states that a small minority of female bariaurs ARE born with horns. Likewise, there are male bariaurs who are born hornless. Both are rather uncomfortable for the rather gender-stratified mainstream herd society to accept.

Proof of the above:

scribd.com/doc/48456344/Ps-the-Complete-Book-of-Bariaur

scribd.com/doc/48456253/bariaur-book-of-belief

Yeah, I know, scribd sucks. Anyone want to find a way to download them as PDFs we can upload here on Veeky Forums instead?

Shardminds, don't forget shardminds

opera, Scribd downloader extension. Book o' horny chicks.

And what horny chicks believe.

Many, many thanks! That's awesome; I can't hack Scribd. Wish there was a way to share these on 1d4chan now...

Go over to OSRG, see if they want them for the 2e trove.

So, what plane do folks most want represented by new races? The Feywild? The Shadowfell? The Outer or the Inner?

...Come to think of it, what's left to come out of the Outer and Inner Planes? We've got Rogue Modrons from Mechanus and maybe Mephits from the paraelemental regions, but what else is there?

Getting pissed off because a graphics update to a fucking vidya was so proud of itself that it bought the goddamned domain name, thus getting me excited for nothing.
That will change the nature of a man.
From a fan of Planescape Torment to somebody who wants to strangle everyone involved with it.

>penis cannibal games

We don't have a limbo based race to go opposite Modrons, except Slaads which don't work for PC's.
Perhaps new shifter lore to say they are born out of chaos?

3e had Planetouched of Law and Chaos (Zenythri and Chaond)