Western Hemispheros

Setting idea inspired by the sarcastic babbling of a faggot:

Game of Thrones set in ancient Mesoamerica. The same general concept (courtly intrigue, magic returning after a long period of quiet, great cataclysm is coming, etc.). Instead of Winter, it's a prophesied "endless drought" that will kill everything. With dusty zombies rising in the deserts bringing it. Nahuals are practically Wargs as it is. The role of the Dothraki/Essos could be taken by conquistador expies coming to fuck shit up, led by a disgruntled former ruler (Quetzelcoatl?).

Actually user's idea took place in Africa rather than Mesoamerica, but I had a cool Aztec themed picture already available and couldn't be bothered to find African ones

Other urls found in this thread:

tekumel.com/world.html
pastebin.com/PKFJzHfA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

One of the main attacks you can make on GoT setting is that it's unrealistic as fuck to have such a big empire as Westeros working with medieval infraestructure. With mesoamerica it's even worst. I know it's fantasy, but you can't use that card if you're also being a bitch about gritty realism and Aragorn's tax policy.

If you just want a political story in fantasy Mesoamerica, go ahead. Just ditch the shitty GoT references.

Weren't many Central and South American empires the size of small continents with literally LESS than medieval infrastructure (due to the lack of horses/draft animals), though?

No?

Ditch the plural and you have the Inca, who are an oddity (a fascinatibg one) that lasted for a very brief amount of time. I guess those could be the size of a "small continent".

Westeros is the size of South America, by the way. Not small at all.

Honestly with the level of historical accuracy George Martin did I could totally see giving Westertitlan horses or something (the Americas did have horses at one point in the irrelevantly distant past!). Just make sure everything's covered in shit and not 20 pages go by without rape and it'll be cool.

I always took what's happening in Westeros to be an example of how unrealistic it was to have an empire of that size. It was held together by the dragons (acting as force projection that crushes all resistance), and then once they were gone the Targaryens fell (it took a while, but still). And then once they were gone it was only held together by Robert being good friends with a few of the major players in other parts of Westeros, and when he died it just completely fell apart.

The role of either the dothraki/essos or the drought shit could be african-based, to keep in theme with the origuana idea of the sarcastic bitch user who inspired this.

I think them taking the role of the "free-folk," would be neat. Either them or north-American native Americans of some kind. Maybe plains peoples.

The Incan empire is one of the most fascinating out there. Cities on tops of mountains, roads in the sky, and a strong agricultural system with the use of only one animal larger than a dog.

Yeah, great plains would be preferable to Africans in that case (I still would rather the whole game be about Africa, but if everyone wants to go with Central America I accept that). Make them equally anachronistic, i.e. feathered headdresses, teepees and costumed buffalo hunting stereotypes. If there really is a "conquistador equivalent" they could've them guns before or something. Literally located to the north of the Empire and all.

Does Native American mythology have giants?

The not-Mayans, being way older than everyone else on the block, could be similar to the Valyrians. They even had that thing going on where they effectively died out as a civilization in the span of just a few decades under mysterious circumstances.

How about this for a cool African themed picture?

Is Songhai from the right historical period?

What would be the elements in contest? Water and... sand? Earth? The sun?

You can liberally rip off all the published RPG settings based on Mesoamerica, like AD&D's Maztica, which is actually a part of the larger Forgotten Realms setting like many other ethnic-themed 2E settings.

Image did not attach

>captcha is LOPEZ ROUTE

Does it actually have guns finally?

If you're going with an African setting after all, definitely water and dust. Water is life, dust is death. When you see dust, you know the death either comes for you or you're walking towards it.

A Mesoamerican inspired setting would be more philosophically challenging since dust matters less but both water and the sun are powerful, major positive symbols. Remember, this is a culture which saw human sacrifices, by the thousands, as necessary to ensure that the sun keep rising, the wind keep blowing, the rain keep falling and corn keep growing. The balance of nature was vital. When your whole civilization is so overwhelmingly dependent on a single staple crop (sure, they had a varied diet, but maize still made up a massive percentage of it), you better as fuck care about assuring it gets the best living conditions.

If Mesoamerican, good animals to represent the noble houses may be serpent, jaguar, coyote, rabbit, deer, spider, bat and hummingbird.

If African... I don't actually know much about Africa. Lion and elephant?

Should've left it an African inspired setting, imho.

What about Tekumel?

That's more science-weird than dark political fantasy, isn't it?

There's plenty of room for intrigue in Tekumel, but it is probably too heavy on the weird-SF elements for the kind of thing this thread seems to be getting at. It is, however, the best developed Mesoamerican inspired setting out there, by a wide margin. If anything, Tekumel would be a good inspiration for just how alien the values of a Mesoamerican based society would be.

So, anyone here know anything whatsoever about African mythology, culture, or the history of African empires?

Can I get the briefer on that? I get that it's a planet that was colonized then isolated then somehow everyone became Mayans, but do you have some more details?

tekumel.com/world.html you should check this out.

The reason why Tekumel seems Mesoamerican is that in it's timeline, a nuclear war broke out on earth, which wiped out western civilization, leading to Central American and South Asian cultures becoming dominant, so the human space empire that colonized Tekumel was created by people from these cultures. M.A.R. Barker, the creator of Tekumel, was a professor who studied Central American and South Asian languages.

Why would they specifically revert back into being Mayans, though? It's not like when Europeans lose their technology they naturally revert to being Ancient Greek...

They aren't actually Mayans or Aztecs, they're just more like them than any other culture, especially visual. But I think the basic answer to your question is that Barker was into Mesoamerican stuff and though it would be cool to do Mayans meets Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars stuff.

The Not!aztecs would propbably have some sort of falcon or eagle as their symbol
Also you would have to make some shit up if your purely going off of meso america

This settings robert would probably be like this guy

And still, to this day, their descendants appreciate a nice ass.

Neat.

>The fact that he engaged in such activity (sex) with male gods would not seem particularly problematic either, as those gods had turned themselves into women...

Nahua confirmed for trap lovers, 2000+ years before Veeky Forums.

Google is your friend.

Reposting from sister thread: pastebin.com/PKFJzHfA

>My wife's ass isn't "badoink", enough, know what I mean? I blame the gods

That sounds like a kang, desperate to paint his "native" culture as cool and interesting, using overly excited language to paint over the fact that most of those details pretty much exist in every mythology.

I love weird history.

Man, its nice to see another culture with as many weird sex-myths as the Norse.

The Norse weren't even the worst of the bunch. Google "Horus Sperm Salad".

To inform you guys of this thread going on right now:

>