Starting D&D

I am going to be buying the starter set of D&D soon. I have at least 3 people to play with. Any tips for being the dungeon master? I've watched a few videos on the subject. But getting tips straight from here would be great.

It's not a contest between you and your players, you're all there to have fun

Present players with situations that have multiple solutions. ex, attack the sleeping ogre, sneak by, or try to bribe him with food?

Allow them to TRY things, but be realistic with them about their chances of success, based on the difficulty of the challenge and the capabilities of their players.

Don't be afraid to punish them when they do dangerous shit. Attacking people in public places will get them arrested, doing backflips on the edge of a volcano might cause them to fall in, etc.

Don't tell them what to do, tell them what is happening around them and let THEM decide their goals.

Ok thanks. Do you think I should pick up th other books/manuals?

>No Paladin
>Pic related

You can, they're nice to have. You may want to wait until you've got the hang of the basics though.

('Should I buy books?' is a question I always answer with yes.)

Trump is a bard.

NG Druid

>Not Chaotic Evil Sorcerer
>Give me your stuff
>Give me your stuff or you will be punished
>Get in to power, demand the belongings of others to give to those who support him
>Literally ran as a controlled opposition to the Arch-Democrat
>Was told what to say and importantly what not to say during debates
>Bought a massive mansion not far from his current house after the election

You mean, a rogue.

>Engineer
fuck that, Bard pied pipering all the britfags out of relevance

>Not being bombed/drove/machete/gunned/bred out of relevance like the rest of the EU.

>any white people in the future

>Trump
>warrior

That guy couldn't win a fist fight with a midget.

>Depending on what news report you choose, Trump is either nearly obese (236 pounds) or quite obese (267 pounds), meaning a body-mass index of more than 30.
He could probably knock out a midget by simply falling on him.

I've been DMing 5e since it came out and the main thing I can say is that it's full of improv. Very open ended and it can get overwhelming if you don't know how to improv on the spot to make sure your players don't derail completely and stall the story. I suggest you read through PDFs of official WOTC campaigns to get a feel for the structure of situations in which mutliple outcomes are accounted for. Then if you still have any questions on improv and fixing derailing, you can shoot me a msg on my discord spooky.wiz #1767

>all lvl 3 commoners or nobles dressed up as PCs
Shitty meme

Alchemist

Don't play D&D. D&D (of various editions) are the most popular tabletop RPGs but they are far from the best, or even good.

Play literally anything else.

kek

No, Bill Clinton is a bard

lol, stop making me laugh Trumpfucker

daaaw.
that photo probably cost him the election.

Immigration isn't going down after the Brexit vote... so all those brown people as still there and growing...