Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

When was the last time you played a character with an unusual weapon? What was it? Why?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1guWyA71djzV6wzido7yPXbxzPKRbkG0cU-on0zocua4/edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

An elven branch spear.
Because it's better.
:^)

I like the elven branched spear!

Can anyone give me some ideas/general advice on planning a heist session? Players will be trying to rescue a friendly NPC from some kind of stronghold, want to make sure they have a few different ways of accomplishing their mission.

I want to use unusual weapons, but everywhere I turn tells me that throwing weapons are shit

Startoss Style Warpriest. Arsenal Chaplain optional.

>tfw /pfg/ ends up running three or four Kingmaker campaigns, none of which are vanilla Kingmaker

Make sure you actually plan out the guard patrol and routine, it'll make things feel more alive and the PCs will probably try to find out. Also, add a secret passage that leads to the basement/dungeon or something, a path intended for the stronghold's ruler (or original ruler if it doesn't have one now) to use as an emergency escape route but which the PCs could use as an unguarded entrance if they can find out about it.

>You will never kick off the industrial revolution as ambitious entrepreneurs in Andoran

Butler, give this user a library!

W A T E R
B A L L O O N S

>Making a gestalt for a campaign
>Considering Synthesist Summoner \ Aegis

A bit of help \tg\, would those two even stack? From what I can gather, Fuse Eidolon removes armor bonuses, but Astral Suits aren't explicitly armor o.O

you would lose the benefit of Aegis BAB, because you use the Eidolon's BAB and physical stats by RAW.

Stay hopeful, Anna!

>not going summoner || aegis 6, soulknife 4 (with the two feats and one trait to get 10/10 progression on both sides)
>not forming your mount, armor, and arms out of nothing.

But I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it!

Technically your mount isn't out of nothing. A Summoner's eidolan is an actual outsider with it's own history, personality, and intellect.

Would you rather a party of three martials plus a full caster or three full casters plus a martial?

three martials + full caster.

3Martial1Caster

Hmm. Thanks for that, I would have missed it entirely. Now to decide if it's a dealbreaker.

Two gishes, a caster and two mundanes or four gishes and one caster?

two gish + full caster + two mundane

The first.

Four different full casters or four different martials?

How do I pic related in Pathfinder?

Fighting game characters have repertoires that are too broad to accurately replicate in PF. The closest you'll get is PoW though since it has "moves"

Be the GM and slap together a custom template for the BBEG

Three martials and a full caster, if gishes count as martials some number that isn't 0 or 3 should be gish martials.

I think that one's just personal taste, I would go for four different full casters. It'd either be glorious or end in a very early TPK.

A party that shares the same Law/Chaos alignment but differs on Good/Evil or a party that shares the same Good/Evil alignment but differs on Law/Chaos? I think a party full of LG, LN, and LE characters is most interesting.

What's a Gish?

I'd rather see an Evil Trio

Spellswords.

Originally a title for the Githyanki Mage-Knights, but was accepted into common vernacular to mean any class that specializes in a mix of magic and combat

Ah. Do like paladin Magus and the like?

Definitely magus. Paladin is more borderline but I would argue still qualifies much of the time.

All this makes me wonder, what are the secrets to good party composition?

Magi count, as do most of the 6th level caster classes. Paladins don't unless PrC'd with a more dedicated caster, due to not being a class with casting at all levels.

Gish is less of a "class" title, and more of a playstyle that is meant to show equal emphasis on both magical and martial capabilities.

For example, a mono-classed Paladin is not a Gish, while a Paladin/Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight is.

In Spheres of Might, the troubadour is a class that has a handful of talents with names like "dandere," "deredere," "himedere," "kuudere," "moe," "tsundere," and "yandere."

Adam Meyers, the writer of the class, has posted a second statement in defense of this:

docs.google.com/document/d/1guWyA71djzV6wzido7yPXbxzPKRbkG0cU-on0zocua4/edit

>Funnily enough no, it wasn't TVtropes that was used, I googled 'Japanese character tropes' so I could make sure to reach beyond my French New Comedy upbringing, and grabbed the first article from Kotaku that popped up.

>I understand that anime is an aesthetic that some people don't want in their fantasy while other people do, but from my perspective I felt it would be dishonest to only look at the West. Pathfinder has evolved well beyond the Tolkien/Conan roots from which it sprung, referencing dozens of mythologies and sub-genres, and to stay Euro-centric felt wrong when creating a class build upon the concept of genres and tropes.

>Plus, as far as the lover trope is concerned and the coming up with iconic powers and personality types for it, there simply isn't the level of scholarship about it in the West as there is in the East. In the East you have all sorts of categorized terms that can be drawn on and used as a reference when describing the characteristics of a character, while in the West we often have a hard time getting beyond simple discussions about Princesses, whether or not 'damsel in distress' is sexist, and complaining about Trinity-Syndrome.

Is this reasoning solid? It seems strange to me that categorizing anime girls into "dandere," "deredere," "himedere," "kuudere," "moe," "tsundere," and "yandere" is considered a form of "scholarship."

Why are you reposting this over and over

this review pretty much made me realize that salacias more of a npc than a pc

so i'll probably withdraw her

Is this your first exposure to 2hu?

>nd grabbed the first article from Kotaku that popped up.
pffffffffffhahahahahahahahaha!
But yeah, he should've picked better names that don't already have a more defined pre-existing connotation

Also, stop spamming this you autistic 2hu. You are a fucking loser with no life

VIRGIN KNIGHT STOCK CRASHING SELL SELL SELL

MONSTERGIRLS UP BUY BUY BUY

>le bubble market

Don't be dramatic user just touch up the app.

But she's sexy.

>classes with built in weeb flavor
PoW made the mistake with the Bushi and calling Mithral Current's quick draw "Iaijitsu." Time is a flat circle. Every 3pp mistake will be made again and again and again.

>In the East you have all sorts of categorized terms that can be drawn on
Terms with direct translations and in some cases like kuudere WESTERN LOAN WORDS. You and Adam Meyers both need to eat a shotgun barrel.

She's kinda bland.

its more like

th' bitch walks around in a straitjacket and nothing else which is a red flag

she dies to a single str drain

she's useless with one sunder

she doesn't have any relevant skills and is gonna be pretty much a mediocre martial until 4 where she becomes somewhat passable

This, kids, is why you don't build characters only off of art you like. It's too easy to build your way into a corner.

>she dies to a single str drain
How common is Str Drain at lvl 1 though?

>she's useless with one sunder
Pretty sure Sunder can only be used to destroy weapons and armour. Not clothing.

>she doesn't have any relevant skills
Gee, I guess this is why skill monkey is an important role to have filled out? Cause by your logic, any class that doesn't get 8+Int Mod skill points shouldn't exist.

Le fucking kill yourself faggot canadian cuck anime shitposter.

Just PM her player on Roll20 for lewds then. According to , the player apparently thinks she's a useless villain, only good for her sex appeal.

>leafs are anime shitposters
>/spa/ confirmed /a/ has a large number of leafs
Day of the rake when?

str drains are going to be a problem throughout the game and not just level one, because what sort of party is just gonna hand the belt of str to the gal with no arms?

sunder can be used on any item

the skills was just to show that she didn't really have anything to real redemption for her to be lackluster in combat given that she's an immediate detractor in public with her appearance and has 7 cha

Summoner, probably.

>sub-optimal bullying

>tfw so many builds that don't come online until later

>str drains are going to be a problem throughout the game
Cool Maximum Sleep. Thanks for letting everyone that you're going to spam Str Drains.

>sunder can be used on any item
And how often do you see GMs using combat maneuvers? In all the years I've played DnD and PF, I can count the number of times any of the myriad of GMs I've played under used anything other than full attack, casting a spell, or using a PoW maneuver on one hand.

>that she's an immediate detractor in public with her appearance and has 7 cha
You picked the Undine race. She was going to be a detractor in public no matter what. It's called hardships and it builds character. But lord forbid you actually have to roleplay as a character at a disadvantage in any possible situation. Oh lordy no, not having the optimal build for every single encounter is such a fucking drag the only solace is not even trying.

Delete yourself. You're wasting the oxygen I breathe.

Why is this game a level 1 start?

Define "online". Is this a thing that only happens with gimmick builds?

fuck if I know

>DM starts up a 24/7 IC channel, and expects you to regularly post in it

But why? I like playing with people and I love our sessions, but doesn't this just seem... Stressful? I didn't sign up for what is effectively a session all day, every day.

some people like keeping in touch

Pretty sure it's for in-character hook ups.

"Hey Elf slut, wanna ride the dwarf rocket?"
"Mmm, I love thick hairy man meat!"

etc, etc.

When I run games on Roll20 I always make some threads for PCs to do RP between sessions, but then nobody ever does anything despite everybody saying they want to.

Suffering. How am I suppose to make a game with 4 hour sessions actually get stuff done and feel alive if the PCs won't RP their downtime and stuff sometimes.?

Which means my character's going to be way out of the loop come next session and the half-elf's fucking the human, the Tiefling's bought a shop and I'm sitting here in Westcrown, feeling like the odd duck out.

That's what an OOC is for, though. Or Skype, or hell I don't know, PM a player if you want to do something with theirs.

It's a style of roleplay that is pulling me away from doing anything but keeping up, and if I let it slip away I get relegated to "that guy who's two steps behind everyone else."

>all-Druid party

How would you differentiate them from each other, /pfg/?

>all x party

I would force several players to reroll because a party of all the same thing is boring

Paint numbers on each other? A la Thing 1 and Thing 2?

NG LN NE CN

A R C H E T Y P E S

Posting a message on Roll20 is a completely different beast than posting something on Discord, I've found. I blame it on how most of us grew up on named forums that demanded you sit down and think about your posts before hitting Submit, while Messengers were more lax and carefree.

And you make a game with 4 hour sessions actually get stuff done and feel alive by setting aside an hour or even an entire session for just downtime. It's something I've been in with Voiced and it works.

I dunno, there are some classes that I think could manage it. All Inquisitor party, all Bard party, all Cleric party, all Warpriest party, they have enough variation to allow you to have 3 or 4 characters and not step on any toes or have massive holes in party comp. Also, all human parties are perfect. If you disagree, you're just an elf lover.

Imagine being this mad over someone else's character.

But it does make sense for them to be together if they're all in the same organization. Like an all-Fighter party from the same mercenary corps, or all-Barbarian from the same tribe, even all-Bard from the same troupe/band or all-Wizard from the same academy.

You're not wrong.

He must have really wanted to fuck her

Is there a better class/archetype for switch hitting with melee/throwing spears over the Marksman archetype Spearman?

I'm doing this now and I'm kind of loving it. It's great after all your other games went on hiatus to have a quasi-perpetual session going, but I could see where it might be stressful if you had multiple games

yeah but its dumb

But that's still wrong. In one mercenary company I'd expect to see fighters, rangers, slayers, rogues, barbarians, etc. A tribe would be varied among skalds, barbarians, maybe even sorcerers or oracles. Just because they're from one cultural and geographical location doesn't mean that they're the same person.

THANK YOU, EXACTLY

Didn't we all, user?

Didn't we all?

Hold me.

Technically I have to accept that.

>switch hitting
Why is this still a thing?

Deathless Ghost can do 1d4 drain on a stat of their choice at level 5 :)

No, she was just another damaged girl

I need my waifus to be weirder.

I would, but I have no arms.

Alright /pfg/, tell me about your cool Boss Encounters you either fought in or designed for your players. Granted, we all know how poor of an idea building "bosses" is in Pathfinder, but share them anyway

Since we got greentext of LoB&F can we now definitively say that DHB is a boring player?

For what it's worth, I thought your character was cute and had an interesting build going.

You just need to grow out of the gimmick and make her more well-rounded.

why do you care?

Some names of boss builds I've done.

>Big Eater
>Rocktopus
>How We Fall
>Eye of the Storm
>Side Winder
>Winter Mint
>Springtime Tiger
>Water Boy
>The Oid Boys

What happened?

Nope. His character was fun and had good interactions with the other PCs.

DHB's main fault is being way too reliable and easy to depend on. I'm worried I'll never be able to offload bookkeeping this way again.

I like souls-esque 1vs1 duels.

The thing is it runs completely antithetical to how I perceive tabletop and how I approach it.

To me, tabletop is about telling a story with friends, getting together every Monday night or Saturday evening to spend a couple hours punching out a tale over text or voice. It gives me something to look forward to, a thing on the calendar that lets me partition my days for other things. It's like watching a movie you're playing a part in, or sitting around writing a book.

But perpetual IC just turns that whole view on its head. I can't turn the movie off anymore, I can't stop the pages of the book. I need to keep up with it as often as I can or I'll miss something, or worse yet I hold everyone up because my character's getting dragged along or she needs to do the thing to solve the problem.

It makes what was a fun way to spend a Friday into a side-job, always playing catch-up or struggling to make sure your character talks enough so that, come the *actual* session, people even remember she exists.

Actually bosses can be really good if you design them as like.. MMO raid bosses.

Then hold my hips with your legs and don't let go until we both fall asleep.

Quick question about the Bladed Brush Feat

>You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a glaive sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon. When wielding a glaive, you can treat it as a one-handed piercing or slashing melee weapon and as if you were not making attacks with your off-hand for all feats and class abilities that require such a weapon (such as a duelist’s or swashbuckler’s precise strike).

Can you duel wield glaives with this feat? It says you can treat a glaive as a one-handed piercing or slashing weapon. So if you were using two glaives, it would be like wielding two one-handed light weapons, right?

Pepperbox Rifle, since I wanted to be Mami and throwing away muskets would be too expensive.

Two and two, like Arneson intended. Or one mostly attack guy, one 75% attack 25% spell guy, one 50/50 attack/spell guy, and one mostly spell guy.

If I have to play with your stupid bullshit dichotomy: 3 caster 1 martial, and the martial has UMD.

>people even remember she exists
I'd remember you exist, user.

>DHB's main fault is being way too reliable and easy to depend on. I'm worried I'll never be able to offload bookkeeping this way again.
???