I have a paladin on my table who is annoying...

I have a paladin on my table who is annoying. He keeps trying to capture enemies (instead of killing) and when he does he starts giving them moral lessons. He asks them why they were doing it, explain why it was wrong, tell them of something good they could do in it's place.

One time for example he defeated a group of bandits, then asked why they were attacking people. I thought of a quick excuse and said 'because we are poor and don't know of anything else to do.' Bad move. He then released one by one of the bandits, teached them how to work, confiscated their weapons and then went to the village while his party guarded them, traded them for fucking farming material and gave them, and they told them to scatter and become honest people.

Can I make him fall for being more good than lawful? After all what purpose is there on a paladin who isn't ready to kill?

Have the bandits sell their farming gear and buy weapons, then raid the village. Rape the children and give rise to even more bandits and evil.

> Can I make him fall for being more good than lawful?
Stopped reading there.
You are a horrible person and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Mercy and justice are meted out on case-by-case basis, at paladin's discretion, as long as it doesn't break his code.

Fuck off

Good bait, or joke, whichever. But a paladin is required to save everyone they can, even the bad ones. He's doing a good job.

Sounds like this guy really knows what it means to be a paladin. Stop trying to spoil his fun and just roll with it, this is more inventiveness and engagement than you'll get from most players.

As he said his arguments he rolled his charisma and actually persuaded them to change. But maybe I can do this next time.

TL;DR:
Hey guys, I'm a tremendous fag that can't handle a Paladin player role play a FUCKING PALADIN.

Like really man? That's dedication to his character and you're acting like such a fag about it. You really want to make him fall for DOING GOOD?

Sage

Why would a paladin have a claymore if he was supposed to sit down and talk? A paladin should dish the law to his enemies.

Go play a cleric if you want to make friends.

if it's inherently evil monsters, have them lie about changing their lives and then stab him in the back about it

nothing wrong with trying to set bandits on a better path.

I take it you've never played a cleric.

Because not everyone wants to listen.

His is dishing out The Law. He isn't dishing out violence for it's own sake.

You are essentially wanting to punish a player for not mindlessly murderhoboing.

> Go play a cleric if you want to make friends.
>implying CoDzilla isn't a thing
>implying CoDzilla isn't better than Paladin at combat

Paladin's have swords to protect the innocent and the good of heart agasint those who would hurt them. To protect their friends and to defeat evil. But the paladin has a weapon for a reason. Because he has the morality to use it responsibly to use it agasint those truly evil. Who won't be able to change for the better. A true paladin trys to reform people and trys to make the world better and protect people. Of course this is talking about LG paladins. Is he a LG paladin?

Why not have them fight actual monsters and not bandits and other humans?

>hurr durr my paladin is not genociding everything in sight like a good murderhobo, send help

>implying 3.pf like a faggot

The manual specifically claims a paladin should act more good than lawful if he has to choose just one.

You are a baiting faggot, your paladin is a good guy

>>implying 3.pf like a faggot
I wanted to make sure OP felt comfortable with me.

desu senpai, a paladin that captures villains and lectures them until they're willing to do anything to get away sounds fucking amazing and hilarious.

Perfect way to get enemies to co-operate with interrogation without torture

"STOP, STOP! I'LL DO ANYTHING PLEASE, JUST MAKE HIM STOP TALKING AHHHHHHHHHHH"

>a paladin that captures villains and lectures them until they're willing to do anything to get away

He does this to every enemy that isn't pure evil.

The problem however is that he invested heavy in charisma and wisdom, persuasion and sensing motives.

I mean charisma sure. But pump wisdom? He also pumped medicine for some weird reason. The guy has healing magic and pumped medicine.

I'd say medicine is fall insurance so if he ever falls he can still patch people up. Id put medicine on my paladin. But really his build seems very roleplay like. Which can be good it fits what he's trying to do apparently. Which is clearly try and redeem and help people. Who is his god? Is he LG? Did his backstory hint this?

If he still kills pure evil creatures, tham there is zero problems, stop being a faggot about that.

The medicine arguement is valid though, maybe sit down with him and learn why he put ranks in it and explain why its not optimal. Remember though, its ultimately his decision

I mean a pacifist cleric.

No, I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.

Yes he is LG, but a LG paladin wouldn't stop to lecture every single outlaw.

He does this to other humanoids, he only kills true uncontrollable monsters. Should I replace every enemy with ghouls and hellhounds?

It's not murderhobo to kill clearly random enemies.

That doesn't stop him from dishing the law.

Maybe I should make his next enemy act like this.

> No, I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.
You are the one wasting time describing it.
>P: "I want to convince them of the errors of their evil ways!"
>Y: "Okay, roll Diplomacy."
>roll succeeds
>P: "Okay, your rousing speech succeeds in convincing them to change their ways."
There you fucking go.

Now stop being a passive-aggressive bitch that wants to shut his player down for actually putting "roleplaying" into "RPG".

>No, I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.

Then stop wasting his time with pointless encounters.

Alright then. It's understandable your a but bored. But talk to him. Ultimately you shouldn't have posted this on tg and instead should have talked and discussed with him what will make the campaign fun for both of you.

Yes, it's the LG God.

Okay, I actually know his motive: he picked it up because he likes to come into villages and offer free diagnoses to people. Which I frankly don't even let him roll, I just say 'okay you help people' and move on with the story.

If you're concerned about him treating human humanely, give him non-human enemies.
If you're just wanting him to fight the encounters you intended to have be fights, either be blunt and uncreative, and just tell him "I gave you this fight so you could kill things and get XP" or actually be clever and give his character a reason to smite the evil, son.

When they see him, have them yell "OH SHIT A PALADIN, ASMODEUS SAVE ME" so he knows they're evil, or have them have some background hatred towards the forces of good because they didn't help the bandit's hometown when it was under attack or something, so he legitimately believes Good is weak and hypocritical, and is willing to die for his belief.

This, you colossal faggot. What you want to do is massively unfun for your player, and their fun should be part of you having fun. Eat a dick, your player is cool, 10/10 would play a non lethal character to assist

Did you miss the party where he cuddles enemy NPCs?

Ah right, I will drop encounters and their xp gain because I have a chronic messiah.

Nah, I need to deal with him ingame. Show him why this isn't a good policy. Still Veeky Forums disappoint me. I doubt there is someone here who wouldn't say this PC is annoying.

Okay then that skill make's sense maybe you should actually integrate it into the plot or story or a sideplot? Actually have it do something worthwhile. Really you should talk with him. That's flat out what you need to do. discuss things back and forth learn what you want of the campaign and tell him and learn what he wants. Work together to have fun and get some of both of what you want. Give him chances to redeem people but also give oppurtunitys when its obvious that trying to capture them could endanger other people and he needs to go all out.

You're supposed to give XP for non-combat encounters, or "defeating" the enemies. Convincing them to not fight gives just as much experience/favor from his God to get more powers as killing them would. Possibly even more, if his God believes in mercy.

Can someone please explain to me how someone can be as legitimately autistic as the OP of this thread?
I just don't fucking understand how his decision process goes:
> "Hm, I have a problem with my player, even though he clearly puts in effort into actually roleplaying. Should I talk it out with him, like two adult human beings do?"
> "NAH, I'LL JUST GO ON A TAIWANESE CHALK DRAWING BOARD AND ASK PEOPLE THERE HOW I CAN BE AS MUCH A PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE BITCH AS POSSIBLE"

What made them bandits in the first place? Being poor and shit. When they are not accepted for any jobs (because the farms are already crowded), they return to their bandit ways.

Dude. I'd love to have a player like that. Just talk to him. He clearly likes your game if hes so invested in his character. Talk to him be mature.

But user, some people become bandits because they're assholes who enjoy raping and pillaging.

Actually a good way to stop DMs to throw random encounters without any reason at you. Nice.

Those are psychopaths. Murder them.

So what you're saying here OP, is that he's not allowed to enjoy playing the game his way because you want him to be a murderhobo?

Man I've had some boring GMs, hell, I've been one, but goddamn dude I would hate to be one of your players.

Kys

But if a Paladin can redeem a Succubus with questionably virtuous sex, surely he can redeem mentally ill humans!

Are all of you literally retarded?

This is bait - it's so clearly, obviously bait. Ignore trolls and bait threads; ignore bait posters.

Don't feed into the discussion because it's fake and designed to get you to reply. Ffs

Same reason a Police Officer has a gun, you dumb fuck.

Said the /user/ bumping said bait.

Your player is good and you are a shit GM.

Fair.

>I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.
You could just stop using random encounters. Animals rarely attack groups of people, they gain a reputation causing bandits to avoid them, etc.

OP that joke is 20+ years old, get better material.

Interesting, if that is 3.pf he is only doing it for the social bonuses.

I'd say let it work now and then, and if he has a decent sense motive give him a clue when the other group is bullshitting

OP, you're the biggest faggot I've seen in awhile.

You have a pc most dm's and many players in general dream of. and yet you're whining about how he isn't a murderhobo that can't rp any flavour of paladin beyond lawful stupid.

You fill me with loathing and disgust. Your role is to create a world for the players to interact in. You can have a narrative planned out but shouldn't just treat encounters as dumb Skyrim quests where you just hack and slash for no reason. You especially shouldn't railroad them to the degree that anytime they attempt to have agency in the world their characters inhabit, you sperg out like this.

If you want to roll dumb meaningless xp grinds or only bother dm'ing so as to hold a group captive for your plot exposition, go work for Bethesda.

How about adding unintended consequences to his LG actions:
>Bandits attack town, claiming it is their turf
>Other gangs hear that the Bandits territory collapsed, move in to take over.
>Original bandits are killed trying to defend the people who took them in after they were shitheads
>New bandits are worse than the last due to [REASONS]
>Paladin has to return, facing the villagers and making a choice to murderhobo the bandits or teach the villagers how to fight off very strong bandits. This could force a Good vs Lawful conflict. Is it 'Good' to murderhobo the bandits? Is it 'Lawful' to teach these vengeful peasants how to fight, hoping they won't just murderhobo everything they see as a threat?

You could also introduce an element of the Paladin's backstory to explain WHY he does this every time. Maybe he was mentored by a Paladin, or his village was saved by one, or he just saw too much hatred and evil in the world. It will give the Paladin a chance to shine and let other players make the choice to help him in this task.

If you're not the GM, just go on a snack break while he does this. Check your stats, inventory, plan something, or take a trip to the restroom. Just say your character stays at the inn/bar/stable/wherever and plans their next move.

Doesn't work unless they are not alive or pure evil.

The guy has also a lot of luck with dices. He conviced a group of goblins for example that killing travellers wasn't alright because it would end getting them all killed.

I really shouldn't even have to say 'those guys are just for you to try your new weapon'. But okay, I see your point.

Nah I do give him xp, but surely I'm not gonna reward this behavior, otherwise he may want to do it even more.

Okay, of course I exaggerated to bring people. I'm not going to make him fall, I just want to give him a scare. Show him his actions have consequences.

The problem I said before however is that he keeps using persuade and sense motive, and he is luck with dice.

The problem is through that they really changed their ways. And the Paladin even gave them some parting money, like a few gp each. I cannot find an in story reason for that, I would have to create new bandits.

What do you want me to say to him? "Hey dude, okay I get you are a nice guy but don't be so nice okay? You are delaying my campaign."

>murderhobo
Here it goes again.

It's not murderhoboing to kill random encounters. Those NPCs don't exist, they are just there to give some challenge. They are literally gold and xp.

Imagine if there was a cop in real life who lost time trying to get a criminal to change his ways? He would have took a bullet years ago.

A police officer just lays down the law and send them to jail. It's not to check if "Jimmy Two Hands" is having humane treatment.

Yeah, I'm sure the campaign will get more lively with nothing happening between dungeons.

Pretty sure that OP is a troll.

this amount of stupidity has to be planned... at least i hope so

You could just let the player play a paladin in peace for once, and not needlessly for moral shit constantly like ever other terrible gm.

Why can us paladin player smite evil in peace for once, it gets kind of boring when we run into [morally grey situation #536] I just want to heal peasantry and smite evil bandits, is it really that much to ask?

>All those responses
Casting a wide net eh?

He ALWAYS use sense motive. He is a dick. And no, I don't give any extra rewards for that. I made sure those NPCs disappear as if they were killed.

The point of random encounters is to give a breather between plot points.

Should I magically teleport players between cities when the next dungeon isn't near?

Another sensible answer.

Yes, good point. The next group of criminals I make will make the Joker look nice. But then it's capable of him rolling dice and 'forcing' them to give up to the guard. How much I wish for him to roll a 1 on a persuasion check.

More something along the line's of "user I know your character is a immense nice guy. How can we work together to figure a way to tone that down. Because I'm having difficulty enjoying the game and if I don't enjoy gming the game the quality of the game suffers and you might enjoy it less so please how are we gonna settle this?" Be real with him be straight with him and be honest.

Holy shit thank you for the laugh user I was in a terrible mood but now I'm in high spirits from this ridiculous post.

>it's stupid to want encounters to end without extra fluffy bullshit
I know this is Veeky Forums but come on.

The point of the matter is that this dude doesn't smite evil. He befriends evil. He only smites '100% completely unredemmable evil'. That's retarded, if I was a nasty GM I would have killed him at the second encounter.

That's a cool paladin you are playing with. He sounds pretty based.

I don't think you get what Paladins are user, or the concept or redemption for that matter. I'm going to just hope your shitposting because otherwise it'll ruin my good mood thinking of what your poor player will have to go through with your dumb ass.

The fact of the matter is that there is a reason nobody act like this in real life: because it's stupid.

So yes, I want him to learn through adversity. Not because he hurt my enjoyment.

How is it ridiculous? Feel free to expand instead of memeing.

>in real like
Retard alert

Oh how emb that is egg on my face for sure *life

Okay, now I think I'm the one getting trolled.

His PC is an idiot. Without question. If it wasn't for bullshit rolls he would be dead.

Redemption is for those who actually advance the story, ie NPCs who actually matter. Helping random faggot isn't going to earn you points.

Paladins are supposed to be more good than lawful. Even in 1e, they'd rather associate with a Chaotic Good person than a Lawful Neutral.

Oh god make it stop

okay, now hold it right here you cheeky dickwaffel.

It seems like you two faggots work under the idea that lawfull good is the idea that you have to please what is good and the law.

the long explanation: see pic

the short summary: Lawfull good does NOT mean that you serve two aspects at once, namely the good and the law, because that would reach an autistic level of stick-in-thy-arese

With LG you follow the good law.

No redemption is for everyone who has a chance at it.
You really don't seem to understand what paladins are.

*in a logical setting.

Happy now?

By definition, if they can listen, talking is the right opening move. If they do listen, he was obviously justified, and in fact might have fallen for killing all those wayward men in cold blood like that.

>redemption is for important npcs
Oh sweet Jesus ok now I am actually laugh, god FUCK your ok at this, way to obvious but still good to laugh at least
No your still an idiot but thank you

>This thread

OP you are being a tremendous faggot

This guy sounds awesome. Well-rounded, competent, kind-hearted character? He's a fucking superhero, and you're just a dick.

/thread

OP is probably the sort of guy who thinks that all superheroes need to be edgy angsty 90s antiheroes desu.

I've had enough of this retardation.
This is now a knight thread.
If anyone knows the artist to amy of these please tell me.

Paladins4life

Then why even allow paladins or any other LG characters?

That person is a better player than you are. You should let him DM if this is how you do it.

Don't make them sadistic just for the sake of doing so. That's just being a dick to a PC and their player(s). Force the Paladin to make the best of two bad choices.
You're the GM, your goal is the challenge your players and tell a good story. Punishing a player for RPing by making their dice not matter right in front of them doesn't serve either of those two points.

There's very little info on this Paladin and the setting other than being a walking, talking after school special. I'm trying to draw out a possible motivation for these actions. It seems like that might be the backbone of it but it's hard to tell. If the character were a fresh paladin on their first trip into the 'real' world, wouldn't it make sense for them to see the Good and the Law as two separate things? They would only see the melding of the two after getting a few levels under their belt.

OP has brain problems, would be my guess.

I was going to compliment op on an obvious bait that was nonetheless entertaining.

And then I read the replies in here from faggots who thought it was serious.

Well done, OP.

>Nah I do give him xp, but surely I'm not gonna reward this behavior, otherwise he may want to do it even more.

Why are you treating your player like training a dog?

>What do you want me to say to him? "Hey dude, okay I get you are a nice guy but don't be so nice okay? You are delaying my campaign."
>my campaign

You're a really, really shitty DM. And I genuinely mean that. I guarantee that if we played together, my opinion would not change, and everyone with any experience roleplaying would agree.

It's not your campaign, it's your group's campaign. If the way you have fun and the way your players have fun is different, you shouldn't be playing together.

Nothing he's doing is even remotely wrong, I'd love to play with this guy, it sounds great. But if you don't like it, you need to talk with the group (not just him) and see if other people are bothered by it. If they are, he needs to stop hogging the spotlight. If they aren't, you either need to find a way to enjoy this kind of game, or stop gaming together.

>A police officer just lays down the law and send them to jail. It's not to check if "Jimmy Two Hands" is having humane treatment.

The ENTIRE criminal justice system is built on the foundation of getting people to see the error of their ways. It doesn't always work, but that's literally why we have jail instead of constant execution.

The police officer himself doesn't follow through with the whole get them to change their ways thing, that's the rest of the system's responsibility. In a medieval world, with less organization, it's completely reasonable that this incredibly persuasive guy that wants to be a hero takes the whole responsibility and runs with it.

>Those NPCs don't exist, they are just there to give some challenge. They are literally gold and xp.

Not to him. And just because in your mind you're right, doesn't mean he's wrong.

OP seems like the sort of person who thinks it's his duty as a DM to punish players for even choosing to play a Paladin in the first place.

You and my DMs would be kindred spirits.

Shhh user shhh we all know he's a retard, don't waste your time writing so much

Shit man, I don't know.

I mean this thread's probably just bait but if it isn't OP is probably trying to both be a good GM while simultaneously railroading the fuck out of his players.

DM is That Guy.

Move along.

Deus Vult

Sounds like you're just butthurt that he isn't playing the one dimensional murderhobo you're used to. Sounds like he's doing a damn fine job as a paladin.

If you make him fall for being more "good" than "lawful", then you are an asspulling, shit eating, pathetic excuse of a DM, and should promptly quit running games. Suicide would actually be the best option in that case.

Instead of trying to fuck him over for playing his character straight, just play YOUR role straight. It's not so black and white that everyone is either good or evil. Throw the guy a fucking bone and let his mercy actually have a positive effect on people. That doesn't mean it has to work on EVERYONE though. Maybe half of those bandits decide to use those farming tools to start an honest life, and maybe the other half decide "fuck it, this shovel can still fuck someone up" and continue his ways, just having to steal enough to buy more actual weapons. Maybe have him find out that some ended up dying anyways, after getting their shit stomped in trying to rob people with a pitch fork.

Most importantly, you need to stop being a little bitch.

>roll a 1 on a persuasion check.

Presumably he has a fairly high modifier, or are you a retard that doesn't follow the rules?

Natural 1s are only guaranteed fails for attack rolls.

Saving throws, skill checks, etc are not critical fails.