WHFB is back!

Great news Veeky Forums, GW has decided to cancel AoS and bring back WHFB! However, in return for reviving the system, they have decided that they cant just throw away all the new model kits. Thus, they turn to you, and give you the duty of fitting the new models back into the Old World. Do keep in mind, there are:
>Stormcast
>Blood Bound
>Slyvaneth
>Fyre Slayers
>Ever Chosen
>Iron Jawz
>Tzneetch Arcanites
>Kharadron Overlords

Remember: The models MUST be useable in the new WHFB "9th" edition, and exist within the lore. However, how they fit into the Old World us all up to you!

Stormcast as the Empire's magically driven battle automatons

Blood Bound are just a specific Khornate cult

Slyvaneth are spirits of Loren, same as before

Fyre Slayers are a specific branch of the Slayer cult

Ever Chosen are a specific Chaos Undivided cult

Iron Jawz are a Black Orc lead WAAAGH

Tzeentch Arcanites are a Tzeentchian Chaos cult

Kharadron Overlords are a Dwarf mercenary group that specializes in Airborne assaults.

There. Done.

Most of these are not 'new', just expanded.

The ones that fit right into the existing armies are bloodbound(warriors of chaos), sylvaneth(wood elves), everchosen(warriors of chaos), ironjawz(orcs and goblins), and tzeentch arcanites(warriors of chaos and daemons of chaos).

So those just fit in already to the existing armies.

The only 'new' ones are stormcast eternals, fyreslayers, and kharadron overlords.

The SCE would pretty much have the exact same story and origins. Sigmar takes up souls from battles, and reforges them into demi-god warriors to fight for the Empire and any other forces of order. They are not battle automatons, as said, but great heroes with physical bodies and magic weapons and armor, given a second chance to eternally fight against the unstoppable chaos hordes.

Fyreslayers would not necessarily be linked to the slayer cult, but would be another faction of neutral dwarfs, sort of like how the chaos dwarfs are, but not chaos aligned. At some point Grimnir comes back to fight a great adversary and dies in the fight, but killing his foe anyway, and his remains are scattered all across the world. This gives the fyreslayers a motivation to hunt for these fragments of ur-gold, still hammering it into their flesh to gain the power of Grimnir. I don't see a reason much would change. They do not need to be slayer-cult, that can still be part of the main Dwarfs.

Kharadron Overlords would be a separate faction, but an offshoot of the Engineer's Guild. I would probably drop the aether-gold thing, because that is pretty much a mortal realms thing, but they could still have found some other means of levitation, and their main goal is profiteering and merchantery.

I honestly do not see this happening, but I can play along. I actually happen to love AoS and the direction it is going, but I do fantasize about the new factions and models fitting into the old world.

>MUST

Why? Because GW has never, ever dropped an entire range?

Not a new one, no.

This changes nothing for all the grongard autists except now AoS is set in the old world instead of the mortal realms and will use the same shitty ruleset we had before.

>GW goes back to a ruleset which wasn't selling models

ahahahaha

>GW goes back to a Ruleset that wasn't selling models
>still uses the exact same models most fantacucks REEEEEE over

Well they're currently using a rules et which isn't selling models so...

I'm not into warhammer but what's so bad about age of sigmar that you guys keep complaining about and how is it still a thing, it seems pretty universally hated if this site is a glimpse at the fanbase of the game.

It's a great game. But some hate it for the fact that it discontinued the old game, warhammer fantasy battles, and do not like the tonal direction of the setting it is going in now. It's a major departure from the old, and most of the 'hate' toward it, is just rage against change.

It's actually revitalized GW's sales on their fantasy range and is now reaching near the top to contend with some of the big players in the industry, like 40k, xwing, warmahordes, etc. International tournaments are growing.

Basically most people that really like it and are playing it, left Veeky Forums to seek a community elsewhere, like other forums and facebook, leaving behind those still bitter about its birth and death of their old beloved. Veeky Forums is really the only place left people have to bitch about it, because outside of here it is generally accepted.

People are being children over a game being cancelled. Nothing's stopping anyone at all from playing the old 8th ed. the game is still going cause AoS is fun and actually successful. It's faster to play than fantasy, less complex and costs less money too cause you have no need for codexes or data slates.

Played fantasy for ages it's gone now but I still play 8th with some people and AoS with others.

Ah thanks, that clarifies it.
I thought it was hated by almost everybody but I guess people with extreme opinions are the most vocal, duh.

It's shit and fantasy is a God tier universe

It's started off with untested rules, overpriced and ugly models Implying people eat up every shit they throw at us.
Even IF it is better now, fans don't take kindly how they were treated.

It really is a very vocal minority.

A long time ago it was suggested in the Fantasy Battle general that Stormcast could be golems created by Balthasar Gelt.

Personally I think the models are hideous and don't belong in the Fantasy Battle setting. If Games Workshop does bring Fantasy Battle back, I think AoS should be retooled as a ridiculous "anything goes" game where you can use models from any Games Workshop game including 40k. That would actually give the game a reason to exist as a third pillar and it would justify why the rules are so light and silly compared to Fantasy Battle and 40k. It would be a game for beginners where they can field whatever models they want and the game would accommodate them even if the end results are kind of stupid.

That's pretty good.
Have AoS happen in a warp breach near the northern gates. Stuff can spill out, stuff can march in and the gods can affect the warp directly. In the old world, ScEs are daemons of Sigmar possessing suits of armour and need to be accompanied by mortal priests and faithful in order to stay in realspace, just like daemons need summoning and warp energy.
The SCE guard temples of Sigmar, sustained by faith and only accompany empire warbands occasionally

The warp interacts with 40k and sometimes lost travellers wash up on the outskirts of AoS. The warp messes with their gear and by the time they reach the old world, technology such as power armour and guns will have failed to function - no dreadnoughts smashing their way into the northern wastes.

Some enterprising Rogue Trader might discover a market for monomolecular blades though, and return to Imperial space with his holds crammed with elf girl slaves.

>bloodbound
chaos forces of khorne endlessly roaming the chaos realm and invading the old world whenever possible; large outposts in the badlands and dark lands
>arcanites
chaos forces of tzeentch infiltrating societies, greatest concentrations near the old world are in araby, also big forces coming from cathay
>everchosen
expansion of the background for the blades of chaos; dorghar shapeshifting abilities explain why he may also appear as a manticore
>ironjawz
they're orcs but not black orcs; there's not much to explain
>sylvaneth
additions to the wood elves
>fyreslayers
ancient lodges of dwarfs that followed grimnir at the time of his quest to close the warp portals during the great cataclysm, settled along the road from the mountains of not!rome to some places in the dark lands and up north
>overlords
dwarfs that started exploring the lands southeast to the world edge mountains, the distance with the main kingdom encouraged their alchemical experiments; the isolation brought by the great greenskins and chaos invasions on top of the earthquake signed their final departure as they took on the extremely useful gaseous substance that poured forth from the holes in reality high in the couds above their lands created by the catastrophic passage of a celestial object in millennia past (the great maw)
>stormcast
after having been damned by the chaos gods (mainly tzeentch) to roam on the winds of magic of the immaterial realm for centuries; sigmar finally found safe harbor and started plotting on how to help his empire despite his state of exile; he infused with his own power great heroes of ages new and past into an army of angels

it's the fluff and some design directions more than the game itself that are hated.

>I still play 8th
Absolute shit taste confirmed

>Stormcasts
Exist as small, elite supernatural warriors that appear out of nowhere and aid Empire forces when things get dire enough for them to step in. Stat-wise, they are the good counterpart to Chaos Chosen.

>Blood Bound
A famed Khornate Warband.

>Sylvaneth
Created as a bizarre necromantic hybrid species between WElfs and the forest spirits of Athel Loren. For some reason Durthu hates them a little less than the WElfs.

>Fyre Slayers
Pyromaniac Dwarf Slayers.

>Ever Chosen
A catch-term for everyone serving directly under Archaon.

>Iron Jawz
Orcs led by a Black Orc

>Tzeentch Arcanites
Tzeentch Cult that has connections with Van Horstmann.

>Kharadon Overlords
Pirate mercs seen by Dwarfs as bizarre and non-conservative tech-wise.

大勢でやる参加型人間チェスをやってるんじゃないのか?

Pretty much my problems with it. I don't even play the game, but the lore behind it that I've read is mostly trash-tier, and the models have been hit-or-miss. Some awesome concepts, others way too overdone, and I'm not a fan of the Sigmarine aesthetic.

>Exist as small, elite supernatural warriors that appear out of nowhere and aid Empire forces when things get dire enough for them to step in
So, Fantasy Legion of the Damned?

Great news Veeky Forums, OP was arrested for shitposting and raped by three burly inmates on his first day in jail.

>So, Fantasy Legion of the Damned?
Yeah. Including the whole shtick with dead heroes from times past and present being reforged by Sigmar and Grungni.

And appear in small "warbands" to grapple with Chaos Warriors.

Would see them as a anomaly, with the Slaan and HElves being the ones who get most of the headache about them.

On the other hand I still like the whole stuff with female Stormcasts. At least those are actually not retarded compared to Female Space Marines and the whole lorerape the latter brings with it.

>People are being children over a game being cancelled. Nothing's stopping anyone at all from playing the old 8th ed.

8th was a shit edition, but still there are no new kits, campaigns or factions being made or a better edition to replace 8th. Many kits are also OOP now so playing brets or TK might be bit meh.

The 2nd hand market is so big you don't need any new releases.

Take a look at the abomination that was the original ruleset.
It doesn't help that the free part, the core rules, are pretty bad by themselves and are only saved by the content you have to pay money for, creating a wall for those who want to take a glance.

Just to add onto what's been said, the setting is unsalvageable trash, in contrast with WHFB, which was a very mediocre wargame, saved by an amazing setting

>GW has decided to cancel AoS and bring back WHFB

Is that supposed to be some kind of bait-ish meme, or should I actually be getting excited?

I don't know what I should be happy about with this arrangement.
I guess WHFB has slightly less shit rules than AOS, but I wouldn't be going back to either one either way. True, WHFB might still put out some new models that aren't utter crap for WOWkids, but seeing the direction they were already taking, it's just not likely.

Plus we have Zanuchi's recasts. He doesn't seem to plan on stopping sales of Fantasy Battle kits any time in the foreseeable future. Obviously plastic models are better, but he has better quality resin kits than Finecast for a fraction of the price. If you can't get a good deal on plastic models then recasts are a fine option. There's also independent original kit makers who have great alternatives to some of the hideous old Citadel kits. I got some great fell bats that way, and I'm going to be going with third party kits for my bat swarms as well-- GW's fell bat and bat swarm kits are like 30 years old and they look awful.

These are my Vargheists I got from Z last time I ordered. Despite a few imperfections they cleaned up well and I think most people would be hard pressed to tell they're not platic (unless one of them falls on the floor, which I hope to God never happens).

I'm thinking about diversifying my Fantasy Battle portfolio next time I put in an order of recasts. Currently my only army is Vampire Counts but I'm interested in Dwarfs, Empire and Lizard Men.

I can't afford to buy an entire starter army but I'm interested in getting some units that would be otherwise out of my price range. If I just want some basic troops I'm sure I could find some for cheap on eBay and just re-paint them, but I'd like some reccomendations as to what I should order that'll give me the most bang for my buck (particularly, stuff that would bloat my budget the worst if I was to buy real models).

Of the above mentioned armies I'd be most likely to play Dwarfs, so more practical recommendations for them would be good.

Empire and Lizardmen I'm interested in largely because their models are cool. Even if I never field it I'm interested in the Dread Saurian since it's only $50 and I'd love the chance to paint one, and likewise I also like the Karl Franz model. If you have any recommendations that could potnetially be a good jumping off point towards building actual usable armies that's fine, but I don't think I'm going to be buying a bunch of infantry for them just yet. I want to give some of the cooler models a go and from there evaluate if I'd be okay going through the work of building usable armies for them (I know that sounds backwards but I'm largely into this hobby because I like making the models).