/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

>messiahcide.deviantart.com/gallery/61600232/Mandragora-Apocrypha
>new good homebrew shit found

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
>Now in Homebrew megafolder

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)

Old Thread: Is homebrew the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

messiahcide.deviantart.com/gallery/61600232/Mandragora-Apocrypha
1d4chan.org/wiki/Canon
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard_(Novel_Series)
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gaunt's_Ghosts_(Novel_Series)
youtube.com/watch?v=iKIAMAqGNIY
1d4chan.org/wiki/Deathwatch_(RPG)#Splatbooks
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>First time GMing Only War
>Throw ork mobs at players
>Orks lose because Leman Russ
>Throw a traitor Valkyrie with only heavy bolters and a single lascannon at them, no support
>Used the stats from pic related
>Almost TPK'ed trying to bring the bird down, tank is heavily damaged but can still run at least.

I wanted to make my players sweat but jeez. How do you guys go about deciding what constitutes a "level-appropriate" encounter for an Only War game.

Trial and error. Also, flexible gamemastering and not leaving everything to the stats and dice. Close shave with TPK is actually appropriate.

The Mandragora Apochyrpha, as may be obvious, is nowhere near completion and the main writer is in debate with a few of us over quite a few rules at the moment, but it's still coming along, if slowly.

It seems obvious, there will be some psyker stuff. And hopefully some radical stuff.

Still, with the base of DH2, it could be the system of all systems.

Amazing that they would be able to bring it down considering all the penalties for firing at a flier.

I'm not sure how much you know about the project's ongoings, but the primary writer is currently working on rules for Xenotech and non-Imperial factions. Actual psyker stuff may or may not be integrated, as the writer of that homebrew has already made a completely overhauled and massively expanded psychic system, they may just decide to include it.

As for right now, the plan is to finish the supplement for the Mandragora Sector, a (mostly) homebrew Sector that they used for their most recent long-term metacampaign, though we're trying to introduce as much useful stuff for all campaigns as possible at the same time.

>The Mandragora Apochyrpha
Was ist los?

It would've been doing strafing runs but the gunner managed to RF and cause the Valkyrie to get Motive Systems Impaired status effect. It also kept failing it's tests so it just stayed floating in one spot. 30 frontal and side armor made it pretty hairy, the players even had a couple shots completely bounce off while the Valkyrie's lascannon keep penetrating the tank front armor easily. One of the highlights was the Sergeant managing to also land a Righteous Fury and blow off some of it's armor.

Yeah I'm learning this stuff as I go and it's been an experience. One of the players are co-DM'ing in regards to helping the other players roll and find stats because the books are so unwieldy.
Finding out that Formation rules exist in Enemies of the Imperium was an emperor-send.

We should do a big homebrew gear book. Some odd bits and bobs and the fluff that goes with it.

>Vol. III is about the new and other gamelines Mechanicus stuff in DH2

Lots of it is apparently copied word for word from Mars Needs Women. There's some new stuff in there, though, which seems neat, but damn, the copy paste is real.

Along with some traits and cybernetics that were considered exclusive in the books they originally appeared in.

The art and OC the writer uses is also somewhat grating.

Yeah, especially the new Skitarii/Cult Mechanicus/Mechanicum30k gear. But there is a lot of things updated from the older editions.

Vol II has some ship-unique facilities, as gilded hull

>gilded hull

That's from Lure of the Expanse, actually. It's not OC either.

One of the most stand-out issues I have with the book is the choice to even include the Sarcosan Wave Generator to the cybernetics.

Especially as a "only" Near-unique.

I swear, everyone wants to do stuff for the Mechanicus getting new toys but I almost never see homebrew for the Ecclessiarchy.

Ecclesiarchy haven't had new material for them in almost 15 years. Everything that already exists is statted already in the main lines.

That's because fedora tippers aren't interested in the literally thousands of extremely unique relics and reliquaries the Ecclesiarchy has in it's vaults, from the arms and armor of various saints, to little trinkets from martyrs, to truly potent items of unknown providence.
They think like , that it is more fun to create new things that don't exist for the mechanicus because wacky science and that the Ecclesiarchy "doesn't have anything that hasn't been statted".

The ecclesiarchy is mostly "bless X gun / sword." The rest is relics that are GM dependent, and due to the factionalized nature of the ecclesiarchy, one man's holy relic is another's iconoclasm. The mechanicus stuff all exists, standardized across all forge worlds, but the line died before it could be officially statted.

>standardized across all forge worlds
A lie, otherwise you wouldn't have items that are expressly patterned on certain forge worlds and entirely absent on others, Ryza pattern anything, for example.
Shit, half of the gear that isn't standard weapons from the Witchhunters codex has never been statted out.
>The ecclesiarchy is mostly "bless X gun / sword."
This is the erroneous mindset that I'm talking about.

>A lie

Oh, you're one of those people who never moved on from 3rd edition. Carry on then. You have my pity.

What which Deathwatch book can you find the chapter creation tables?

This reminds me

Post Relics that have appeared or were created in your games!

One of my PCs achieved Sainthood by martyring himself with two meltabombs against an ascending Daemon Prince. The only things to remain of him were his half-melted handcannon and lho stick case, both of which are now important saintly relics.

>Oh, you're one of those people who never moved on from 3rd edition
>cherrypicks his lore
Yes, lets ignore how the vast majority of the equipment in DH1e was exclusive to the sector and literally said so in plain language, or that the codices themselves say that the common knowledge of one forge world is a sacred mystery to another.
Keep revealing how much your Veeky Forums headcanon is at the root of your decisions.

That's all old. The new stuff is all standardized, and though it's primarily because GW needs to sell models, the various patterns are just alterations of standardized gear available to all forge worlds.

Anyone? I don't want to download all the books just to look for it, I just need that book that has it.

I kinda plan on using the Sarcosan Wave Generator in my campaign, long before I have found MA.

But yeah, availibility is all over the place. As it is in almost all the homebrew stuff.

I wonder, do we have DH stats for old Inquisitor BftES relics, as Blade of Admonition, or Axe of Retribution?

>Axe of Retribution
That is in DH2e Enemies Within. Not really as potent as it's Inquisitor incarnation, it's real claim to fame is being a great weapon you can use lightning attack with.

There's nothing wrong with simply using one in a campaign, of course. It's just the fact that it was included on a Dark Heresy acquisition table that has me worried. It's not really an item that players should have access to without a huge amount of GM consideration.

The writer of MA may not fully understand the concept of tech-heresy.

Even the new fluff is only part of the all fluff. Your own conversions, so your own non-standard stuff is encouraged, so as "canon" as the "codex".

You know:
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Canon

Must be the real thing. Alongside the St Sabbats cutlery and Sebastian Thors left testicle.

Like Halo device? *pokerface*

Longtime GM of mine mentioned that he might want to run an Only War game soon, but my experience with 40k is pretty much limited to the dawn of war games. What are some resources that can help me understand the setting bit better, novels, lore, etc.?

Which level I need to be to kill the Emperor?

The Emperor is beyond the need for levels

Daemonic Possesion by Drachyen. Or Pact. First, you need to free him from Abaddon thou.

I believe a Halo Device might be the better of the two, assuming the player agrees, of course.

Long version:
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard_(Novel_Series)
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gaunt's_Ghosts_(Novel_Series)

Short version:
>youtube.com/watch?v=iKIAMAqGNIY

Also, read Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer and follow Regimental Standard

Well, I do GM a campaign set on Sarcosa (combination of Grim Fandango, Planescape Torment, True Detective, with spices of Narcos and Tropa de Elite), so Wave generator was kind of no-brainer (my players do not read DH and HH fluff)

How does the Noosphere work?

I can only hope you changed it to a Unique acquisition rating, and are prepared to balance the campaign for players who don't manage to get one.
You could also send some Mechanicus forces/assassins to deal with the now fairly powerful hereteks.

It's like social networking mixed with augmented reality, data transmission can actually be seen moving through the air. It's also able to wirelessly interface with most machines.

It is difficult, and sometimes the rules in Only War (as RAW) make things a little weird.
Last fight, my players were pinned down behind a small house, and a crashed flatbed truck, taking fire from a sniper, another house with a fireteam, and a rooftop Hvy. Weapons team.
Anyway, commissar dropped smoke, and charged across an open area, with some NPC mooks, Using a full run action, ending in concealment.
That is a -40 modifier on BS-tests. Might as well not roll for any of the baddies.
I should've houseruled that firing into the smoke would have a significant chance to hit SOMEONE, even if it missed their target, but I didn't improvise that at the time.

Also, if you are untrained in Awareness, and have a somewhat regular PE (say 31-35), you are comedically poor at spotting things, for a supposedly trained soldier.
Like +30-test on awareness says "detecting a tank coming towards you" - and with a 31 PE and untrained, you are failing at that 59% of the time.

I am planning to have my party Operator find a small necklace or other thing, as a sort of gift from a locally worshipped saint.

I was thinking to basically stat it as a quality 5/10 deflector shield, or something similar.
But with a fluff-component. Say he gets shot, and fails his dodge-roll, but the charm saves him
>"Running for cover, you stumble on a loose rock and fall on your face, immediately hearing the impact of a round where your head was mere seconds ago"
Or that sort of thing.
Basically just a small boost to your odds of not getting murdered.

I do not plan on giving it to the players at this stage anytime soon, but I do like my possibilities open. It is a nice thing to tempt the Puritan Thorians.

The enemies could have fired Suprressive Fire at him. If they can't hit, may as well pin at least.

>That is a -40 modifier on BS-tests. Might as well not roll for any of the baddies.
>I should've houseruled that firing into the smoke would have a significant chance to hit SOMEONE, even if it missed their target, but I didn't improvise that at the time.
Why exactly would you do this when it would expressly work against the pcs more often than not, and defeats the purpose of things that break line of sight/effect, or enables successful assaults?
Next, you'll say that firing into a dark room means you will hit SOMEONE, even if you don't know who.
>Like +30-test on awareness says "detecting a tank coming towards you"
That would be more like a +50 or 60, user.

Where do Necrons keep their massive ships? Inside their tomb worlds with them?

Rites of Battle. Honour the Chapter is also worth a look for Codex Chapters.
Availability can be pretty wonky in FFG's books too.
I'm not familiar with it, but Dark Heresy should have some of the most tech-heretical things around as options IMO. Risky options, because Radical Inquisitors get taken down by Puritans or Radicals with opposed views all the time, but I see aberrant equipment as one of the defining traits of Dark Heresy to emphasize the lure of radicalism.
Fuck off and die. Painfully.
So basically a Charm as per the old rules, but you're implementing it as a Power Field and fluffing successfully shielded hits as wild luck? That's pretty neat, but I'd keep the rating low, at 20 instead of 50 - 50 is as good as Imperial shields generally get. If you do keep the rating high, then small penalties like falling Prone on that successfully avoided headshot would be appropriate and interesting.
>Next, you'll say that firing into a dark room means you will hit SOMEONE, even if you don't know who.
If the room is packed full of people, yeah. There's only so many places for bullets to go, and if all of them have meat in the way, someone's getting shot.
>>Like +30-test on awareness says "detecting a tank coming towards you"
>That would be more like a +50 or 60, user.
The book reccomended otherwise - this is why GM discretion is important, but when the GM is flustered or inexperienced we often cling to the book's flawed reccomendations.
You could have checked 1d4chan.org/wiki/Deathwatch_(RPG)#Splatbooks if you were in a hurry.

True, and maybe I should've.
Well, when you are firing a machinegun at a group of people charging across open ground, directly towards you, at an effective range, the chances of striking SOMEONE shouldn't be damn near zero, jsut because there is smoke and they are running.
I mean, it was a fun and heroic moment, but the fact that there was - game-mechanically, almost zero risk for them detracted from it, IMO.
>That would be more like a +50 or 60, user
That is the given example, in the Core Rules, for a +30 modifier on awareness.

Just realized that by quality you meant the shield rating. Somewhere between PR5 and 10 seems appropriate for such a relic. Will it also work for vehicles he pilots? What if he's a passenger?

I don't get this only war's combat very well

I meant for the charm to give him a 5-10 % chance of avoiding hits, not a 50%, but I forgot that it is ratingx10 or whatever.
I was gonna give him small penalties, even so. I mean... Not getting shot is pretty neat, right?

You would be correct, Dark Heresy has plenty of options for nearly any path, but the Wave Generator is a problem in almost any context simply because it involves a long list of additional powerful stats and abilities without a single drawback. A GM giving the player Enemy (AdMech) and and some corruption won't be enough of a proper drawback. A campaign focused on finding one should also be involved.

The Halo Devices, while even more powerful typically always end with the PCs death, if not something worse.

Why're there rules for playing dark eldar but none for playing Jokaero?

because jokaero aren't sapient, and all you'd do would be fling poo at things

>fling poo
or craft a digi-sonic weapon specifically designed to peel bananas to eat

But the jokaero only does that if it wants to. If they're forced to do something, they fling poo or build something to escape.

How about not giving "some", but actually getting corruption all the time? I.E. Damnation is only end?

Halo Devices are similar in that Insanity is the only end, but that does certainly seem like one way to balance it.

Shit. I didn't really like mars needs women, it didn't fit my feel as to what true skitarii would be. I guess the search for admech forces that match true fluff continues.

Isn't it kind of scummy, though, to just copy-paste someone else's work?

>true fluff
I think you might mean 'headcanon.' Say what you will about R'Myr but he's autistically meticulous about adhering to the most recent codices.
Skitarii as they were once known aren't called that anymore, but if you really want Tech-Guard, look no further than Venator Crimson Guard. I believe Only War has them in Shield of Humanity, and they're just Calixis' tech-guard - individual Forges may each have their own take, so you can do as you like for your local Forge's military forces. It's a big galaxy out there; have fun with it.

>Isn't it kind of scummy, though, to just copy-paste someone else's work?

No. Homebrew is, by definition, garbage, not worth the paper its printed on or the effort to even read. Only the official material matters in discussions. You can see this where Veeky Forums righteously shoots down any attempt at using homebrew. Homebrewers copying each other is just monkeys eating their own feces and passing the resulting feces as their own.

I'd say this is for the most part true as on the whole homebrew is nearly always unbalanced or inaccurate thanks in large part to its creators not having the 'insight' into the source material required to make it really blend in a way that feels comfortable, but I'd argue there are some cases where homebrew content is a bit more acceptable, especially when those source material content creators start taking fucking lazy routes in their books like 'oh we also thought of this thing that you could do but rather than make any sort of basic skeletal outline for rules for it we'll just say use your imagination'.

Also, in RPGs, if you have a decent group, it is about roleplaying, not rulesplaying. Stop thinking like a tabletop wargamer and start thinking like a roleplayer and there is a lot of inspiration in homebrew (nobody fucking forces you to use it)

While I do agree, thinking like both at once can be a lot of fun. It's how we get Your Dudes, and armies that have a story, not just a collection of units and wargear, but tactical analysis also helps keep PCs alive to be played and hopefully achieve some of their goals.

Are the ascension careers able to be taken by any starting career or are they limited entirely to the 'suggested' paths

>No. Homebrew is, by definition, garbage, not worth the paper its printed on or the effort to even read.

>in a way that feels comfortable

this is the problem here. Everyone feels differently about things so when people post their homebrew, if it contradicts how a person feels, there will be a fight over, well, whose feels are feeliest.

>'insight' into the source material required to make it really blend in a way that feels comfortable

Numberswise, a piece of wargear can be mathematically perfect, but if it doesn't feel right, it really doesn't matter. Homebrew we put in the OP, like Chivalry Intensifies or Mars Needs Women is there for that reason - not only were the FFG formulas cracked to an acceptable degree, but it feels relatively close to the source material, with some exceptions.

Huh. I guess someone really liked my stuff.

If my players try to commandeer or use ork tech but have a tech priest with them, it's reasonable to assume that the tech priest would not approve, right?

how would you guys suggest roleplaying it?

Inexperienced player interested in improving Gm skills here, how good are the pre-published adventures for Rogue Trader? The Corebook starter adventure I was about to look at but I wanted some opinions on the rest, in case they were more interesting.

Not me, i think its shit

Better to port RT, BC and DW to DH2. Not everybody likes homebrew wankery.

This. Nucanon #notmycanon

The primary writer has used a bit of your own, in addition to the homebrew of many others to fill in the supplement first, a quick way to have it up and running before we refine it. The intent is as a campaign supplement just as much as an inclusion of new rules, do remember.

So, my inquisitor is effectively Mallory Archer, in that when someone questioned them, she simply shot them in the thigh and sipped amasec.

How fucked is the party?

If you really must use other peoples work, you should probably credit them, even if you re-stat everything later on.

Which is most likely going to be the case, none of the Volumes are even remotely considered finished yet and the writers were not expecting anyone to find their Deviantart as of yet. We have a document with all the sources we borrow from.

That really depends on their competence and/or if one of the acolytes is her son.

We should should also avoid sticking the new book at the top of the general, seems improper as it's both constructed from other homebrew and incomplete.

Most likely. You should also at least ask people before using their work in your own book, it may only be homebrew, but it's incredibly poor form when the writers of 90% of the book, don't even want the material to be there. Also, the anime-esque fan art is really grating to look at.

What does that have to do with homebrew porting?

Please refrain from trying to start shit. Veeky Forums as a whole already has too many of these old vs. new shitshows.

Pretty competent but prone to bouts of shit luck and he may or may not be.

So about as fucked as the Archer crew then.

>the writers were not expecting anyone to find their Deviantart as of yet
That's amusing, considering I was telling people about that DA account before there were volumes to speak of.

stat me

Genestealer-hybrid Rak'gol detected

Gaunt's Ghosts, son. Best 40k novels out there. Go to the main 40k General, and at the bottom of the OP is a subheading that says "Forge World Book Index". Follow the MEGA link there, and read those goddamn books, because they are fucking great. Caiphas Cain ain't bad either

WS56 BS33 S44 T33 Ag56 Per25 Int27 WP15 Fel29
Movement 14/28/42/84
36 wounds
Acrobatics +10, Awareness, Climb +20, Concealment, Contortionist +10, Deceive +10, Evaluate +10, Intimidate, Logic, Navigate (Surface) +10, Scholastic Lore (Philosophy), Scrutiny +20, Search +20, Security, Silent Move, Tracking +10
Ambidextrous, Berserk Charge, Combat Master, Crippling Strike, Fearless, Frenzy, Hard Target, Mimic, Sure Strike, Swift Attack, Talented (Climb), Two Weapon Wielder
Enormous, Improved Natural Weapons, Natural Armor, Quadruped, Sonar Sense (60m), Undying, Unnatural Strength (x2), Unnatural Toughness (x2)
Silicate Chitin: AP3 body, 5 limbs, 7 head
Foul Bile: Pistol 16m 1d5+6E pen1 Corrosive Devastating (3) Toxic
Tarsus Spike: Melee 1d10+13R pen3 Fast Razor Sharp
Clawed Hands: Melee 1d10+8R pen0
Tail Slam: Melee 1d10+14I pen0 Concussive Devastating (5) Unwieldy

>scholastic lore (philosophy)

Anyone have any interesting character blackout ideas? One of my players recently got it as a malignancy and I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with it.

"Character blackout"? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you thinking of retiring the character simply because you got one Malignancy?

Have your games ever gotten sexual?

Am I asking this because I am bored and the thread needs a bump?

Few times. Some foxhole love, some ritualistic 'cleansing', sometimes just casual dating when there's time. Strip sparring and stuff.

And that's just on the Imperial side of things.

>Strip Sparring
?

Spar, take a hit, lose a piece of clothing.