Unique Loot

Ideas for unique items or loot for players?

For instance, I gave players invisible paint that only works on skin for a certain amount of time. A pc ran out of time and appeared naked in front of a large play.

Just fun items

"Amulet of Drunken Wit" an amulet with a wine or ale colored jewel, it benefits the wearer on social checks but only if they have consumed enough alcohol to be at least a little drunk.

I have a chronic drinker pc that will love this

An artifact that lets the user to talk to corvidae.
This folk is easly bored, has pranks and tricks as main source of entertainment and won't do your bidding unless bribed with a sizable chunk of meat.
Make for darn good spies and messengers though.

In an abandoned laboratory, my players found a lightbulb that was always on.
>my idea behind the item when making the module: weird, quirky, no purpose what so ever. it fit the setting
>what the players took away: this is clearly an unlimited source of power, and i couldn't argue with them
they promptly tried to give it to a being made of pure electricity

Sometime, I like really basic non magical stuff, so I gave a tin cane to our pyromancer. Now it's on him to make the best use of it.

I don't feel like doing the math write now, so what did giving it to the being result in?

A couple players had a bit more rationality and attempted to stop the exchange. It devolved into a convoluted web of charm and social checks along with a healthy amount of dialogue. In the end, one player decided "I'm an adult" and threw it on the ground. They then proceeded to fight and only barely beat the enemy.

Never had such a grand amount of solid roleplaying arise from a mundane object so all things considered 10/10 would do again

I gave my PCs a mirror that doesn't show anything created with magic. It reflects as if that magical thing wasn't there, except if something is possessed or contains a soul, it shows the creature standing in place of whatever contains it.

I forgot that they had just gotten new magic outfits, though, so the scene was much sillier than anticipated - funny is fine too. They've also put it to practical use and showed a sinister demon possessing something already. Overall a success.

Shield that releases blinding light and deafening screech when hit hard enough.

I don't see how it would have been the end of the world. It is just a lightbulb so it could have been functionally just a bottomless flask or horn of plenty that gives grapes at fixed rate.

Three-sided coin.

Looks like a regular coin, but turning it over will cycle through the three different faces.

Every coin has 3 sides

How will they even know about it?

Coins have two sides and an edge. They have three faces, if you want to be pedantic.

They might not, unless they use it for a coin toss or something. It's a subtle thing I like to throw into games to suggest that something has been fucking with the laws of physics.

>They might not, unless they use it for a coin toss or something. It's a subtle thing I like to throw into games to suggest that something has been fucking with the laws of physics.
They WILL not notice this coin. You're full of shit if you think it will naturally come up for them to go through their coins to see if they change when being turned over.

I did a coin as well but it collected an immeasurable amount of moisture

if it is placed it water it fills the container to the brim (or its contents) and floats on the surface. Tossing it into a body of water when speaking the rune on the back causes it to slowly consume the liquids within.

The thing to do is make it look atypical in the first place. Irregular size, a metal not typically used for currency, strange iconography. It's not a three-sided regular coin, it's a three-sided foreign coin.

This is good.

This kind of. A single light-bulb's amount of wattage isn't really enough to be considered a world breaking resource. You could get the same amount of juice from a determined fellow with a hand crank.

well, there's this game called Path of Exile that has great ideas for items, suggest taking a look at the Path of Exile Wiki for ideas on loot

How's this as a helpful npc ? A blacksmith with ancient knowledge of forging magic items and enchanting mundane ones. But he hasn't done it for ages and forgot what materials do what.

If the party provides orc tusk for example, the weapon becomes a +1 weapon against orcs, or armor that gives +1 ac against orc attacks.

And there's a chance that the item becomes cursed if the smithy makes a mistake during the forging. For example, the orc infused weapon or armor makes you move towards a enemy every turn of combat.

How do other people stat things like the wand of Orcus?

>Ring of Holding
>a simple brass ring that doubles as a portal to an underground dwarven-built vault
>can expand to allow entrance
>opens from outside only shenanigans!

I've actually done this.
My party has a tiny bird statue that allows them the use of Speak With Animals, but only for birds.

Can't remember its name, but it was some lute of fine craftsmanship, with dark wood and silver. The music played by it gave big bonuses to preform and other checks.
The down side was that the PC using it took damage when he played it, and extra damage the longer he played.
He killed himself playing an epic balled that stopped the two biggest kingdoms from going to war.

A box of "lucky spices" so the camp cook can roll cooking checks and make small snacks. Eating food prepared with it gives you advantage on your next D20.

>Food based Bit of Luck
>Still waiting on one of them to stop and eat a meat bun mid-combat and advantage attack

My favorite item I've designed for my parties is:
>Timeglove
>If you wear the glove and touch a creature with a soul with it, you get a glimpse of a random moment in that creature's life from a third-person perspective
>The glimpse lasts as long as the glove is in contact with the creature

My player's personal favorite item is:
>Demiplane Key
>Can cast Demiplane by turning the key in air, as if unlocking a door
>The key always accesses the same demiplane everytime
>It is 30x30x30 ft. worked-stone, and initially cubical

Both are great fun, though I haven't gotten to put the Timeglove in action yet. I can't wait for when I do next session.

Orb of temporary planeshifting
When spun on your open palm one random (use a % die) creature or player gets shifted into a random plane (use a table of planes) for 1d20 turns
Cannot be identified but can identify how it works. Can't understand what it does til someone uses it

Going to steal from K6BD and adapt a Coat of Arms (a coat that has several extra usable arms) as a high-level, hard to balance fun item

So only birds get to speak with animals?

No, the party gets to speak with birds.

Fading Wick - a candle that extinguished itself whenever something terrible was approaching.

Sapphire Prism - a crystalline prism that could create and assimilate (free) water. Ended up being at a rate of 10 cubic feet per minute--coming or going.

Prophet's Kaleidoscope - never actually got this one; would have allowed the player to see the surface memories of any character observed through the scope.

And then there was the table & the cloth--adorn the table with the cloth, chant -verse- here, and suddenly the table is covered in whatever it is you desire to eat. Ripped straight from Grimm's tales.

Here's a high level magic item I gave to my party after they got in good with the merchant god.

>Magical coin that summons an avatar of the Merchant Prince.
>Dig the coin into some crevice, and an Avatar of the Prince will be summoned.
>The Avatar will appear in the form of a jeweled skeleton, obscured by the area he's summoned in
>Ex: wedge the coin in a brick wall, several bricks will collapse inward and the skeleton will be waiting on the "other side". In the floorboards, he'll peel back a few boards and poke the top of his skull out

>From this avatar you can purchase literally anything. From physical objects, to feats/accomplishments, to abstract concepts. But everything has a unique price, and not everything is payed for in gold.
>The more abstract, intangible, or generally important what it is you wish to purchase becomes, the stranger the price may seem.
>All prices are exactly what the purchase is worth. No haggling, no games. You want to buy a ship to cross the sea? Fine, pay me in silver coins, for that's what it would cost naturally. How about a fresh new set of supplies in the middle of this dark, empty dungeon? All yours for as much as you'd pay in the city, but I'll trade it to you for your spare dagger.
>The love of a woman? Six silken strings from the robe of a forlorn priestess. Want to buy the death of the man that burned your village to the ground? Bring me the repentance of a damned man. Want to usurp god and become the most powerful being in existence? Of corse I can sell it to you. For the first six stars born to the void.

It's basically a free deus ex machina, where the "prices" of what you want to get around are outright determined by the GM to keep things balanced. The more important something might be to the situation, the more difficult it's price might be to pay.

gave my party an Ever Hot Coal as low level loot once.

Basically in inverse ever burning torch. An endless heat source that can be used for cooking in any weather or warmth in exteme cold. sheds no useful light and isn't hot enough to light fires.

i think I'll borrow this. i can use it as both a macguffin and plot hook source.

I like this.

>random moment
>we spend a third of our lives asleep

This will definitely provide insight into the characters you poke and prod.

A sentient, talking walnut. Its voice is muffled behind its shell. It starts to scream in pain when they attempt to crack the shell.

A sentient coin. It has an innate hatred of abominations, and will manipulate others into killing them. Its favorite lie is that it speaks with the voice of a powerful wizard that will reward people for seeking out anything from the far realm. It cannot see, only hear, but it can sense the presence of abominations.

Sounds like a good spy

A dagger that, no matter how you use it, can never kill

A compass that always points you where you don't want to go, even if you try to use that to your advantage.

Magic repeater.

An orb that when revealed tries to re-enact the last spell used in the room. It uses residual magic so the copy is weaker if the original happened long time ago.

wizard with grammer issues makes magic items.

I could roll with this.

neat

I put a merchant in the market of the lost city of Carcosa once.
he'd sell you anything for your sanity
the grander your wish the more sanity he'd ask for.

played it in dark heresy, lifted the restriction of 100 max insanity for endboss purposes.
one player ended up paying 60 of his sanity for a shoddy powerarmor.

A small wooden monkey that looks like it's screaming.
it's indestructible.
players never found that out though.
one of the players carried it with him for most of the campaign. he didn't even think twice when I described it survived a plasma blast that cost the character his left leg.

"Something that might come in handy"
Players can buy something that might come in handy for 10gp. At any point, they can expend their something, and it becomes a single item (items that come in sets like ammunition or, say, grapes would count as one item) worth up to 10 gp. The difference is lost.
Something that might come in handy cannot be taken from you, but if there's a reason it might have been (pickpocketed, tied up, robbed at gunpoint) you have to explain why it's still with you. Or, I suppose, why it's still somewhere safe.

Over complicated, but a cursed coin. If a player buys or trades with the coin, an occurrence will occur that gives the player back the money they spent as well as more money (blacksmith failed to make player's new weapon and wanted to give extra money as an apology, prostitute accidentally giving sex to the wrong person and needing to compensate, ect.)
The money gained as a result of this coin is infected as well and has the same effect of the coin. Ultimately this can grind an infinite supply of money, but all money earned is cursed. If too much money is gained, the coin will trigger another curse that will make the player become brain dead within 2 days. The only way to cure the curse is to get rid of the coin. To get rid of the coin, the user must somehow get rid of all the wealth gained as a result of the coin without buying, trading, or giving it.
The only real use it could have is if an npc or enemy is tricked into taking it.

Metamagic Syringes are special syringes meant for use with potions. You draw the potion into the syringe and then administer it, applying the metamagic feat assigned to the syringe to the potion. Lesser syringes can do this once a day, regular syringes can do it three times, and greater syringes can do it any number of times a day.

Somewhere I have the table with the prices they went for. It was tricky to calculate, lemme tell ya.

I had an idea for a similar item. Its an enchanted locked box with a key. It can only be opened once, but contains exactly what the user needs at the moment.

I just had my players encounter a gypsy elf who asks "How much would you pay to look into my magic box?" The higher the price, the better the potential prize (or, for that matter, the bigger potential for disaster). He opens the box, revealing the item, and then he, the box, and the tent he's in vanish, leaving the item behind.

I'm planning on having him show up on occasion when things are flagging a bit. The only thing I had him say besides his catchphrase is that he's "not like Goblin Gary", who is another mysterious disappearing and reappearing trickster character in the setting, though of a deal making kind rather than a cursed item kind.

Trick rope. Tie any kind of knot into it that you please. Pull the rope taut, the knot vanishes.

when identified it comes up as an amulet of feather fall one time use, when put arround the users neck it turns into a feather that slowly falls to the ground.

Do you have source on that pic? I've looked everywhere.

Mug of Fermentation
Put ingredients into it overnight, all the next day it will be an everfull mug of whatever you cooked up. Requires some knowledge or skill with brewing.

Adamantium Stake
Drive it into the ground. Up to 5 people can hold onto it, breath, and speak normally no matter what atmospheric disturbance goes through the area (not just cloud spells, but things like tornadoes or a sudden squall).

Sharpened bone
This was a bone from a roast, thrown to a starving man in a dank, gruesome castle dungeon after the roast had already started to spoil. What his captors didn't know is that the man was a smith gifted by the gods with supernatural talent for working materials. The sharpened bone is a +1 keen dagger, can pick locks as though it's a set of masterwork thieves' tools, and was used as a crampon in the smith's escape. The next day it was found and brought to the lord of the castle, who decided to keep it as the jewel of his armory, "The miracle someone used against me."

Hat of uncanny shade
This black, wide-brimmed hat casts a shadow over its wearer's face, a shadow so dark it's almost indiscernible except for the eyes. A spot check is necessary to get a good look at the person's face, opening you up to gaze attacks. The shadow cast by the hat is so complete and perfect that it even protects those sensitive to the sun from its harmful rays.

>Sharpened bone
I literally just realized that's a summary of Iron Man 1 as I was re-reading it just now.

have you tried gelbooru?

Does gelbooru have a search by image function?

I'm sure you could find with tags. I'm 99% sure that "blushing" is one, so search
>Gardevoir blushing
not sure if it would qualify as ahegao, but maybe mouth_open to narrow down some more? I can't remember off the top of my head, and can't exactly go looking myself since I'm at work right now.

Nevermind, found it on pixiv via chaining archive links. Tons of stuff I've never seen on the artist's profile...

It wasn't a magic item, but the Florescent Neo-Yellow Cloak of Hiding was too awful to look upon and granted an appropriate bonus to not be seen.

If you're playing D&D (other stuff with animal changing into druids can work) I got a fun one. An amulet that actually houses the soul of a demon. The druid can attune to it, and gain the ability to wild shape into demons as well as beasts. Problem is, all their spells become corrupt as heck (thorny, poisonous plants, spiked fruits, etc etc.) and they get nasty visions from the amulet from time to time.

But it's infinite, and was going to a being of energy, if you had an infinite cup, that the liquid inside made you more powerful, something tells me that cup would be very very valuable.

Here's what Ive given my players so far.
To the Mage
>A staff which binds one spell requirement for later by sealing it with an animal sacrifice.
>An amulet which enables dark speech but gives the user no control over what they say. Has a chance to empower spells, but is dangerous to use.
To the barbarian
>A traditional desert axe with a rear hook and specially designed grip for unhorsing mounted opponents.
>A sword made from poisoned glass forged by the servants of the Witch Queen. It always deals a certain amount of minimum damage, but it cannot score crits due to how brittle it is. He can, however, chose to crit with it if he wants, but it will break the sword.
To the noble/warrior
>A spear made from a fragment of primordial living wood, crafted by a fae prince which once lived in a lake-turned-swamp. When broken, the tip an be re-grown into a new spear in the presence of water. Used primarily as a holdout weapon and occasionally like the Power Pole from Dragonball.
>A sword literally made of a demon, bound and forged for a rival demon lord. Mortals cannot hold it without burning their hands. He uses it sparingly, but it can be used to shatter armor (magical or otherwise) at the cost of losing the use of one of his hands for a few days.
To the zealot
>Armor inlaid with the bones of executed sinners. Provides superb protection, but can be torn like tissue by anyone who can name a blasphemy carried out by the wearer.
>A bag of blessed nails. They provide stability to any structure but hobble or decay anything with moving parts. Use primarily to ensure powerful beings do not rise again, or to put down those that have already risen.
To the temptress assassin.
>A bracelet in the form of a snake with three eyes. Unbeknownst to her, it will save her life three times before turning into a naga and attempting to eat her. She has yet to realize she cant take it off.
>A falcon who's feathers, when plucked, extend into fine arrows. A gift from the Sphinx King.

Is that a spelling mistake or is it a either a very heavy or very flimsy walking stick?

Personal favorite just for fun was an "Overlord's Pinkie Ring" which could summon so many gremlins a day per level that were fanatically loyal if deeply stupid minions who considered the user their "Dark Lord" and praised his dark power no matter who used it.
They were basicly slightly powered up goblin rouges that could be used as sneaks, scouts, meatshields, trapfinders, or just brute labor.

Man I really need to go back and play that again. I loved that game

Stealing this.

It's made to be easily melt on your opponent face user. Or somehow weld things together if needed for some reason. It's not supposed to be used as a walking stick.

>>A bracelet in the form of a snake with three eyes. Unbeknownst to her, it will save her life three times before turning into a naga and attempting to eat her. She has yet to realize she cant take it off.
I really like this, but I feel like the payoff should be different. Maybe the Naga now demands three tasks from her?

>Maybe the Naga now demands three tasks from her?
not him but sounds better

What's the artist' name?

And if the energy being jas any kind of metabolism it won't just grow forever.

If it didn't use any energy it could just carry around a very long metal pole in thunder storm and in few years it would be massive. Or even better buy few dozen catskins and make a big static electricity generator in some mill.

I've personally always liked the power at a price or corrupting power so I often use items with a twist to get characters to act a certain way so that they are negatively influenced of their own choice. For example
>Sword of the Hopeless
This sword offers aid to warriors in their greatest moments of need but those who see its power and live often die later sacrificing their lives to squeeze even more power from it.
A +1 magical weapon that does an additional 1d8 force damage per attack when at hald your maximum health or less this increases to 2d8 when at a quarter of your maximum health or less.

Fighter frequently refused to be healed so he could get that extra damage. Died several times (I hate revivify) until a near tpk left him dead for good.

A berserker, user. You made a weapon for a berserker.

>If too much money is gained, the coin will trigger another curse that will make the player become brain dead within 2 days
>the curse isn't connected to greed or moneyspending at all
Oh, that's just stupid. Why not make it a Midas-like situation, where eventually they just get crushed by the amount of gold that just keeps showing up on and around them?

seconding this please

>sword of Friendship

It's a sword with a handle at both extremities. If two people were to hold a handle each, they are bound by fate to become friend in the following month.

Eh, not quite, more like for a mosachist or martyr complex. They like to be wounded but they don't like to actually take damage. For a berserker I would probably do something that incentivizes getting into the thick of battle and staying there like free opportunity attacks against anyone who hits you with a melee attack, incentivizing being in the thick but also getting hit thus a barbarian might wear shitty armour to decrease their ac so they can dish out more damage.

Did give a cleric a shield that gave temporary hitpoints as long as he was a pacifist. Kept his pacifism till the end and seemed to enjoy becoming a pacifist medic.

>Grey Fetish

Small and largely featureless statue of a big headed person, possibly of a very skinny child. Staring it can induce trance like state, effects of which depend on the duration of contact.

Short: removes all current penalties to int and wis but causes fatigue penalty on str and con.

Overnight: counts as rest. Gives bonus on int and wis but has side effects. Until you sleep you have to reroll your charisma for every new person you speak, low scores make you speak unknown language. You can't be enchanted and you are prone to panic attacks under open skies, you don't benefit from the wisdom bonus for saves to resist the panic.

If you just put it in their change, no they won't. But then why would you even do that? Someone might be running a scam on the street with the coin, it could be in a glass case somewhere, embedded in a wall/mosaic/body, or any number of other things. use your imagination.

Is this a fuckin jojo reference?

Wow. I didn't expect this many people to be into this. I really liked how it changed up the way the party reacts to hitting a wall

>Fuck I don't know where that teleport trap left us. Should we ask Shylock?
>We can't keep buying things like that from him, we're running out of money for actual supplies. If we get cornered maybe we can buy a way out, until then let's just scout it out.
>Also if the rogue hadn't been a lazy shit and bought an hour of safety last night so he didn't have to keep watch, we'd still have that ring we could trade

>Shylock
>pilfering Veeky Forums inspiration from the Bard
my nigga

Thirding this

Unsword
A crazy wizard was trying to create the perfect opposite of a sword
It was basically just an awkwardly shaped spear

Found it by myself, I believe it's "Uranoyoru"

For the current low level (evil druid) quest I made a few random items
A lucky dagger that can add +4 to any roll once a day and never gets dirty
A +1 staff that sprouts small plants whenever it touches ground, can cast druidcraft at will
A robe that repels plant growth, ignores rough terrain even magical that is made by plantlife

I am definitely stealing this.

At least try to be original

Dunno how this got overlooked, because man, this is one hell of a way to go. Storytime?

A pen that when used to draw on the flesh of a person, creature, or object, opens up part of what was drawn on to reveal pages detailing everything about it. It also allows commands to be written.

>Take a picture, it'll last longer

*User must speak in broken English and Lunar Runes regardless of INT and/or WIS scores until the pen has left their possession

A pair of dice that when rolled, summon an avatar of the God of Fortune. Mechanics wise time stops from the perspective of the user, and they state an action they would like to alter the fortune of (IE. I really don't want that orc to smack me in the face) OOC they tell the DM what they want the die result to be, continuing from the same example, let's say a natural one. The DM then rolls behind his screen and records the number he rolls, and the corresponding number replacing it.
If they're trading up, to get a guaranteed success on an action for example, the next time they roll the number they asked for, the "borrowed" luck returns and they get their original number the DM rolled.
If they're trading down, to ensure the failure of an enemy action, for example, the next time they roll the number the DM rolled behind the screen, the borrowed luck once again returns and that is replaced with the number they asked for.
Basically you roll the dice and borrow good luck from yourself in the future in exchange for getting bad luck at some point later

Here's a bunch of shit my party has.
>Slippery ring
The inside of the ring is extremely slippery, and won't hold to any surface, so it just slides off your fingers as soon as you put it on.
No other effect.
>Necklace of Elemental Chaos
Essentially made you roll a die whenever you cast a spell which dealt with any element, it was changed into a random other one. Was fun until party's caster used create water as rain above a group of enemies, and water turned into acid rain. After that DM changed it to only affect damaging spells, because he was afraid of what people could come up with this shit.

If anyone's interested with how it was rolled, it was just a d10, going:
1. Acid
2. Cold
3. Fire
4. Force
5. Lightning
6. Necrotic
7. Poison
8. Psychic
9. Radiant
10. Thunder
>Ankle bracelets of leaping
Passively granted you immunity to fall damage, on top of that every minute you could leap up to 4x your dash range, so for a regular human being that'd be 240 feet. Party's rogue used it to leap onto a roof of a keep, assassinate the lord and fuck off before anyone noticed. Nerfed to being every hour.