I played Overlord (the first game) and I got thinking: is a 0% corruption Overlord good or neutral?

I played Overlord (the first game) and I got thinking: is a 0% corruption Overlord good or neutral?

I mean he may do some jerkish things such as pillaging the town. May, because if he wants he may only pillage enemy territory. But he canonically didn't kill anyone innocent, saved elf women instead of grabbing a lot of gold, shared food with villagers and spared them when he was betrayed, was true in his first love and all that. Someone just neutral wouldn't act so selfless. So would the 0% Overlord, the one which made 'evil' become a way be actually good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5VdHIFpuodk
youtube.com/watch?v=CXH50buNEtk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well, in the 0% corruption ending your minions are like, frolicking around and being all chill and shit. And everything is flowers and happiness and shit.

So yeah, I'd say he's pretty much Good at that point, or as good as a benevolent dictator can be anyway. One that isn't above throwing the lives of hundreds, or possibly thousands of minions away when needed, or if he wants a better sword.

Aren't minions created from raw life force through?

Aren't we all

Well, in a way yes. But it's not just 'insert life force in pit, minions are born'.

A 0% corrupted overlord likely remebers that he was the one of the heroes trying to defeat the previous overlord.

It's your reminder that you can be 0% corruption Overlord, and still have Velvet as your mistress.

Doom is the most disgusting Mary Sue in marvel, and doomfaggots are worse than batfags. This picture right here is a great example why he's a shit character - the writers won't stop kissing his ass.

Fucking Doom wankery.

>Someone just neutral wouldn't
Stopped reading right there. Alignments make very little sense when they are used prescriptively.

Now if you're describing someone with a contradictory nature that's both good and evil, what would you call it?

t.Reed Richards

But the thing is: a 0% corruption Overlord doesn't even need to pillage the village.

The one thing evil he would canonically do is using minions, but then those minions are basically summoned at thousands and can be sent back if wished.

I've played overlord- fuck I love overlord. You still kill, pillage, and burn for your own (forced upon the player) selfish need. Let not forget killing off the "heros" for slightly bent reasons, but still for revenge. 0% corruption is a choice poor choice of wording in that game.

You are still evil.

Second game did a lot better with the concept, where it was mostly about what kind of evil you were, rather than if you were evil or not.

>You still kill, pillage, and burn for your own (forced upon the player) selfish need
You can however only kill bad guys: halflings who stole all food, cultists who follows succubus, militarist dwarves bent on conquering peaceful hippies dwarves. Also most (if not all) of your money will be exactly from pillaging those evil warlords.

You have a point about revenge through. But maybe the Overlord is doing that to stop them? He didn't kill Jewel for example.

I sincerely didn't like the second game, since you are undoubtedly evil no matter what.

>tfw no third game where three potential overlords battle it out to claim the title

>You can however only kill bad guys: halflings who stole all food, cultists who follows succubus, militarist dwarves bent on conquering peaceful hippies dwarves. Also most (if not all) of your money will be exactly from pillaging those evil warlords.
Still not really user. None of that matters, you aren't playing an avatar of you, you are playing "Overlord" and he doesn't give a fuck about the ex-heros being evil. He wants them dead because he wants them dead.
The heros being evil themselves if a safe way cop out for the player to feel good about beating these people up.
Still pillages random homes and areas with his hordes- in fact that's a standard game mechanic.

>Still not really user. None of that matters, you aren't playing an avatar of you, you are playing "Overlord" and he doesn't give a fuck about the ex-heros being evil. He wants them dead because he wants them dead.
I must point that Overlord doesn't talk much. It's his right hand who tells him what to do.

>Still pillages random homes and areas with his hordes- in fact that's a standard game mechanic.
True, but you can focus on pillaging the evil areas.

This is how I see it, you may disagree.

0 corruption Overlord is more about the preservation of good order and selfless rule for the betterment of the realm. He is not inherently good or bad about his rule, he just wants people to stop yelling and hitting each other with planks. It is not good but it provides an environment in which good can thrive.

Hey, remember they did come back and make a new Overlord game not too long ago!

It was just shit.

That always bothered me.
What is giving minions a birth in that pit?
Is there some sorta miniature brood mother a'la Dragon age inside or is it just some sorta magical series of tubes?

Good and canon
Basically,he realized his mission before his identity,proving that he was indeed the greatest hero of them all, not only escaping corruption, but twisting it on itself so hard that he conquered Evil from the inside out.

Too bad he's trapped in Hell though, he was a swell guy.

This

The first game didn't do its best to make it clear, but the Overlord at 0% is a tyrant who use only violence and murder to obtain his goal, and do not use it only when there isn't any justified profit for himself.
The problem was that the ending was giving off a vibe more like "you have saved the kingdom" than "you have conquered the land through a slaughter"

By the way, how would you plan a campaign based in this setting?

Would you make the players role character that want to defeat him? Heroes other villains? A squad of Minions like in the 3ds game?
Would you allow someone to actually do the Overlord?

And what about all the wasted potential given us from Fellowship of evil?

Delet this immediately

>Implying he isn't doing the same in Hell, given that all the monsters were bowing to him.
Hell must be a place of reform and redemption thanks to that glorious fucker.

>By the way, how would you plan a campaign based in this setting?
Well, how about the Tower Heart accepting the all of the PC's as the current Overlord.
After all, Evil is as Evil does.

I'd go with a few ideas
1) There can be only one.
The PCs each control a nascent overlord, but have to work together partially in order to overcome challenges.
Could be either a situation like the Overlad, where he had a fuckton of mistresses and left a power gap when he died/fucked off, or the incumbent Overlord picks out a few people to see who's the best.

2) Overlord Lieutenants
Be it minion or human, you just do as the boss says. Bonus points for being hilariously evil. Gnarl tells you that you might become the next Overlord if you play your cards right. He's lying, and just wants a laugh if anyone's dumb enough to actually try taking the crown/gauntlet

3) play as one of the not so good races and try to out dick the Overlord. At the end, Gnarl realises you're better at being evil than the incumbent is, and offers you the crown

Given that the minions are slavishly loyal to the overlord, the conflict of interest would probably drive them insane.
Can't imagine the things they'd put on their heads as a result

I blame this game for giving me a thing for redheads

>Reedposting

>mfw finding out it has ghost sex in it

>See people talking, decide this is worth a shot. I mean hey, look at that, second game is $3 on steam today.
>Start playing
>Second level I'm mind fucking elven women into my thralls.

I approve, by my boner was not ready.

100% is chaotic evil
0% is lawful evil.

You establish a tyrannical domain over the land based on power and your force the inhabitants to offer their goods to you via threat or being killed. You created a lawful rule of evil entent.

youtube.com/watch?v=5VdHIFpuodk
That's some bleak lawful evil dystopia I see here.

Mistress Rose is best Mistress.

A 0% corruption Overlord is pretty much Lawful Evil, he is pragmatic,The "pure" Overlord uses Willing slaves to do his bidding and they even cheer for him

Speaking as a fan of doom I hate that people keep sucking his cock, he's a good villain but all this on him being the real hero and other crap is bullshit

Sparing those who betray you and rescuing women who you won't lay is lawful evil?

Those fucking paladins!

>not Dark Fay

isn't it?a slave is more useful alive then dead user

Reminder that in order to be at 0% corruption, the Overlord has to do the following:
1) Never kill a single civilian or trash civilian's house
2) Return the food halflings stole to the humans, instead of taking it for himself
3) Choose a "gooder", more prudish mistress
4) Go out of his way to not burn down the elven forest
5) Then sacrifice a shitton of gold in order to help elves reproduce
6) THEN return elven relic back to elves
7) Also, spare the traitors who stab him in the back.

You can argue that some of those things can be done of pragmatism, like returning food to Spree, but others, especially when it concerns elves, uncorrupted Overlord has to bend over backwards with zero benefit for himself. You can't even say "Well, he was trying to be diplomatic!", since at this point elves are a dying race posing zero threat to him.

It's a tricky one, because due to him being a former hero, we can't be certain what his intent is for them after.

Redeeming acts remove corruption.
You're at perfect liberty to be a dick in a few areas, provided you have some good boy points available later in the game.

I don't think it's ever implied the Overlord needs to be "Evil" really.

He needs to be an "Overlord"

Casting his legions forth across the world with an iron will to save kittens and work in soup kitchens still sounds like an Overlord to me.

>Redeeming acts remove corruption.
You can only remove a little corruption, though. For example, if you behave otherwise like a pure paragon, you can take Velvet as your mistress - but that's it.

Technically he can do the conferred cannon options and still have 80%, saving the elves can make sense as future pawns, by that point of the game you probably have more gold then you know what to do with, and sticking with the nicer mistress makes sense because she actually comes off as loyal

>not only do the seven heroes each fall to a deadly sin, the seven redeeming acts correlate to the seven virtues
Somebody call Lucas in for this one

Yeah the minimal corruption playthrough I saw he still killed the villagers who ratted him out

These are good ideas, and a civil war between overlords as already been addressed in game.

One could even do a campaign about the PC doing wraiths with the objective
of find a way out of hell.

And I always loved the theory about how the figure of the Overlord was a way to compensate for the exile of the Forgotten god

Always preferred Velvet in the first one, in the sequel I've been indecided between Kelda and Dark Fay.

This.

Doesn't change that a canon 0% Overlord is a good guy, since you probably won't do this anyway.

>Hey, remember they did come back and make a new Overlord game not too long ago!
No they didn't. Shut up. Itdidn'thappenwedon'tspeakofawfulthingsthatdon'texist!

Kelda's a damn bubbly viking woman. It's charming, really. Easily best mistress, bonus points for childhood friend

Also wolves are best mounts

So from that, we can conclude that the Overlord is very fond of elves.

They make good servants

This. user, you have amazing taste.

>I sincerely didn't like the second game, since you are undoubtedly evil no matter what.
That's....kinda the point of the games, to be the Bad Guy, the evil Villain of the world.

And remember, Oberon was his best, and perhaps only, friend among the original heros. Since Oberon is the only one who actually wanted to go back for him, and cared that he fell.

And he burnt Oberon to death, just to get a totem.

>Each Tribe swears loyalty to a single player.
>Add in an NPC for the Greens and the Reds, since we have Jester for browns and Mortis for Blues.
>Gnarl is playing all four sides.

Wait, in the good end?

Remember that by the end he was begging for death. Could be easily seen as a mercy kill.

Kelda is Best Mistress, in either game.

But Worst Mother.

I'm talking about the Raising Hell DLC, where no matter what you use Rollie to light Oberon on fire.

Oh, that. Hmm.

unused dialogue implies Oberon was his friend beforehand, andnOberon himself is the only repentant hero in the game

You needed a video game to give you a thing for redheads?

I always read that sort of statement as 'awakened my love/fetish for'.

Me, I just love playing Overlord because the feeling of being a big stompy guy in heavy armor, large and in charge, is appealing to me.

Well, you need a reaction to learn it. I didn't know I had a panties fetish until Bulma has her pants pulled down while trying to not fall in lava. It was a very weird and special moment for the three years old me.

The game was terrible and was in evil in the fact that gave us hope for the franchise;
But I am thankful for another glimpse of the world, the introduction of the Netherghuls as a simil-Nazgul figure; the fact that there can be periods of time without an enough evil being to be Overlord.

And I loved the effect of expanding corrution pf the last level, that was a really good idea both mechanically that
storywise

Oberon is one of the few elf I Like in fiction, hell I love all of the Evernight forest backstory.

What angle do you think would be best for a hypothetical sequel?
Personally, I'd like to see the reset button get pushed, maybe by the Overlad getting bored or wanting a challenge for his children, and having an unironic fantasy land to conquer as a result.
One of the Overlads being the heir to the Elven throne would be an interesting angle to go with.

Maybe something like the soul crushing, uncaring grayness of the Dungeon Dimensions from The Light Fantastic?

As a contrast for the Overlord's "Evil", that wants to corrupt good souls because he ascribes worth to it, and finds value in destroying it, the Grey doesn't care. It is mindless consumption, expansion without purpose.

Played only the first two games, so don't know much about the last one.
Anyway, i would like to have my overlord inspired campaign be somewhat similar to the first game.

Evil overlord is defeated, his dark tower is looted and the player characters are his fallen generals. They're all what remains of his forces.
Starting from here, the players must rebuild the tower, amass a strong army, return all the stolen magic artefacts and resurrect the overlord(optional).
Something like that.

Would an overlord campaign use minions exclusively, or would you give them more leeway to use monsters/evil people?
I remember being sad that you couldn't control the rock monsters that were shown in the adverts.

Personally I don't really know, I 've always accepted what the games brought; to me the most important thing is the balance between the "Humor" and "Epic" aspects of the world, when the game goes only in one of this directions doesn't feel like an Overlord game.

While I agree with the general thought about the return from hell of the Overlord, the story can go everywhere they want, a new Overlord, the old character expanding is kingdom, even the ending of that mess of game that is FoE give us a really interesting input with the Hooded guy that helped Gnarl.

Maybe what I'd like to see is an Antagonist that is "really" good, not corrupted in some way (fallen heroes), twisted (Shining Justice) or straight Evil (Forgotten god, The Wizard, Florian, the siblings).

Some kind of Champion of light like the Overlord is a champion of Evil.

Nah, most players would feel bad about beating him.

If you want to be a really really bad guy I would suggest Hatred or another edgy game.

You could have a genuinely good guy whose goals are just opposite to yours.

Maybe even team up for a few missions.

It's just that one of you have to win, or the world will keep being a war-torn hellhole.

Maybe even give him some sort of good equivalent to your minions.

In fact, having different sorts of overlords with different 3 colored minions that RPS each other would be kinda cool and lead to some memorable boss battles, as you try to control your minions while being locked into personal combat with the enemy leader.

The key word is "inspired"

I think it would be fun to choose the composition of overlord army.
Managin orcs, dark elfs and undeads are simple enough, but getting a more interesting monsters for your hordes will take some work.

>You could have a genuinely good guy whose goals are just opposite to yours.
You missed the point user. I said that most players would feel bad about beating a legit good person.

Most people that like Overlord enjoy it because it's not taken serious and the bad guys aren't much better. If you remove the humor and put a serious hero then only the edgyfags will enjoy it.

You could make a legit good guy actually but only if he wasn't taken serious. Like Mandalf the Pink from War for the Overworld. Make him annoying so that the majority of players will feel good in beating him.

I could see comboing with You have good, evil...and uncaring efficiency. An Artificer offering safety or a Mindtaker with enslaved thralls. If they win there won't be great deeds of good or evil...there won't be great deeds at all. There will be the same monotony until the end of time.

With good and evil finding themselves both being beaten back. Sorta like what happened with Fay without turning them into your willing slave early in the game.

With a lot of your choices about if it's teeth clenched teamwork, building up to take the other out once you win or if it's disagreements but genuine alliance (At least for now).

>Make him annoying so that the majority of players will feel good in beating him.

I'd make him ridiculously goodie-two-shoes, and being a good sport about this whole war business. Have him come back as a death knight under your command in the epilogue, if you were also kinda good-ish.

It's not BS, DOOM is a hero. It's why he's iron doom right now.

Maybe a good person trying, and failing, to reform a corrupt system.
He really does want to do good!but gets stymied at every turn by opportunists in his own system, so the player feels better about being an evil guy who's actually honest about it and can get shit done.

Sort of like Wueen Fay in overlord 2.
Originally she was probably the only genuinely good person in the series, but was completely ineffectual because she was surrounded by and enabling a bunch of hippies.

Well I don't understand why people should feel bad about being evil in a game that want you to be the Dark Lord of the wolrd;

And One of the charming point of Overlord was that the humor had exactly the purpose to make people feel light about what happen on screen, I don't hurt anyone and I love animals, but do you have an idea about how many baby seals I 've killed? DIE SMELLY FURBALL!
youtube.com/watch?v=CXH50buNEtk

Was thinking, could we use the life force as currency, power up, or game mechanic?

Addendum: I'd have the game with you managing two corruption meters to make it feel a bit more interesting/unique.

Yours and the hero you are working with. Your ally may not like you but they have to work with you and is powerful but inexperienced, so it's possible to convince them to take actions they'd not normally do 'For the greater good' or to not stop them when they'd have a moral failing. With endings based on your corruption and the other person's corruption.

>Well I don't understand why people should feel bad about being evil in a game that want you to be the Dark Lord of the wolrd;
Because it's a satirical game.

It's like asking why people are more comfortable with Portal 2 than 1. Portal 1 you were a psychopath who murdered people, in Portal 2 you are a cheesy psychopath who fight caricatures.

I think you mean Postal. Unless I played Portal VERY wrong.

Yes, Postal. Typo.

No, i was made out of sperm and womb

>that moment where she becomes more and more snarky under your mindbreak while the other elves are trying to stop you
Didn't like fighting the romans, but the second game has it moments.

Postal 1 also aged and played like shit.

Oh, and the protagonist made the same cheesy lines in the first as he did in the second. Its less that the psychopath himself is cheesey and more that the world around him isnt.

You also didnt get to listen to satans bowels movement as your screen oozed blood in 2

I don't want an Overlord game\story without the humor, like I'd said before, it wouldn't feel like right.

But If you take the figure of The Overlord out of contest It is serious, it is the world buildt around it tha create the humor.

We can have this overwhelming powerful lord who can slay dragons, corrupt people, killing Gods, createminions from the life of others beings, and at the same time can be eaten by a giant weasel, slapped to the ground by the peasants and mistaken for an animator by tourists on the beach.

Why can't be a similar character that is not an incompetent on the good side?

>elves
>redheads
>corruption
>enjoying said corruption
>mocking hippies
Goddamn it, I can only get so erect

Thanks for the thread OP and thanks especially to the user that mentioned it was on sale.

Most fun ive had for a dollar, despite how jank the player model is.

Weirdly so honestly, the npc's move and look fine but the player character attacks and runs like hes in a ps1 game

>I was a god once, Valerie.
>I found it...beneath me.
It's kind of obscene just how much Dr. Doom has pulled off.

Fay best girl. Kelda okay. Juno a shit.

We must go full evil, user.
>Vicious bullying of hippie elves until they turn into corrupt elves
>Not sharing a pizza with them for example
Good enough taste