A good old fashioned arms and armour thread!

A good old fashioned arms and armour thread!

with the mandatory autism

Anybody got examples of late 15th century-mid 16th century partial plate armor, of the sort landsknechts and other such relatively well-off heavy infantry might wear?

I happen to know a few things about those.
I presume you mostly mean german stuff, right?

Mostly, yeah. If you can find any Spanish or Portuguese stuff too, that'd be great.

well, i'm not that great with spanish and portugese stuff, especially because around that time there weren't many armours that were their signature stuff, with the borderline exception of morion (which existed elswhere too, but somehow it became a spanish thing in culture)

It's doubly hilarious, that, because the Spanish conquistadors wouldn't have had many, if any, morions. Open-faced sallets like the dude on the right here would've been more common.

honestly around that time it was mainly either Italian or German style armours with obviously local modifications here and there if I recall correctly.

well the spanish used more than a few german mercenaries, landsknechts among other things. They brought in a lot of things

anyway for mid 16th century you can't really go wrong with black and white armour for landsknechte. Well you have to look out for the later versions, but anyway it's good enough.
Also nearly every armour that has that stylized cloth looking like is usually close to that date too

Thanks, dude.

also while lot of people were kind of well off (it's arguable with mercenaries for a number of reasons) there are a lot of source pictures for landsknechts for example that shows them with minimal armour, sometimes just a bishop mantle at best (seen on pic)
Obviously it heavily depended what kind of armour they used on how much money they got (which depended on their position and what could they loot) and what did they actually do in the formation. Firearms users generally used less armour because if everything went good they doesn't really need it and they also spent their money on the firearms.

also, just to clarify, by bishop mantle I meant the chainmail stuff that protected the neck area to some degree, and the upper part of the torso.

>mandatory autism

Two-handed swords never had scabbards. Emperor Maximilian explicitly ordering an image of people with sheathed two-handed swords means nothing. Nothing.

Real life did tend to subvert the "all full plate all the time" meme you occasionally see on Veeky Forums, yeah.

well, first of all, you have to carry all that shit and it gets old really fast if you have to march lots of kilometers in it, and also when your first and foremost protection is a 4-5 meter long pointy stick and your friends with firearms.
Then there is the fact that the other guys also have firearms and while buletproof armors does existed it was mostly helemts and breastplates, and also heay as fuck so went for the cavarly mostly.
Then there were things like artillery.
And among other things you had to pay for it, nobody bought you armour just for your two cute eyes.

So it's quite understandable people tried to ditch armour whenever it wasn't necessary. That said, they weren't bigger idiots than us, so they usually brought as much protection as it was reasonable, sometimes a little more

unisex breastplate?

but back to late 15 mid 16 stuff.
late 15 still had a few "full" plate among the infantry but statistically speaking that was no longer a thing in 16th century. At the most it was 3/4 plates and most commonly halfplates if we disregard people who had one piece of armor at most (be that a helmet, or some kind of chainmail)

every armour is unisex. Or to be more precise it's either onse size that fits none or made for a specific person.
That type is just a short lived armour (few decades) that try to use a cheap way to deflect blows. As I said it quickly disappeared so probably it wasn't that effective

Very short-lived mid-15th century design

in late 15th century (and I think in 16th century too but I'm not entirely sure about that) padded jacks were still a thing. These are basically stand-alone textile armours, the more hardcore ones were stuffed so much that you can beat the living shit out of other people with it.
Also holds up well against various weapons.

On pic is a reproduction of the Lübeck padded jack from mid 15th century.

on other non-metal armours the leather jerkin is also mentionable, basically it's a piece of clothing made out of leather, and mostly seen on Landsknechte. There are versions that made out of very thin leather on a textile backing, but a lot of them are thicker and made out of solely leather. While on their own they can stopp some glancing hits some had long flaps that goes down to the knees so there is a guess that probably some variants were used us padding under the armour (around that time there were little to no cloths with the sole purpose of padding, armours, usually civilian cloths were worn under it, and sometimes over it too. This has much to do with the development of armours.)

>mandatory autism

STUDDED LEATHER ISN'T REAL REEEEE

I'm sure it's REAL; it's just decoration, not armor.

I've been doing some worldbuilding and have been drawing the arms and armours of various kindoms and cultures in my setting.
In an area where lamellar is the most prevalent type of metal body armor, what types of weapons would be developed to circumvent it?

user, those are brigandines.

Do these count as bascinets? Do they have a specific name to differentiate them from the frog/bird-face bascinets? I'm a big fan.

I've seen them called Griffon Bascinets before. I'm not 100% sure of the historicity or exact origin of that term, but it is what it is.

They have historical precedent, but most of the stuff you find these days similar to it is goofy barbutes-with-visors or otherwise just not very high quality.

I'll post some stuff too I guess

I always found this scale "aventail" interesting.

They're not; brigandine is specifically a 15th-16th century style.
Also I believe he was commenting in jest.

This is it for now.

Looking for tips on how to better make the next one. This one is okay, but a bit tight. And yeah I know pop rivets are lame but I'm lazy

Depends on a lot of factors. Are soldiers usually wearing full suits of lamellar, or just cuirass and helmet? As with any metal armor, you can probably rule out slashing blades, at least.

I feel like they have that same noble "cut" of a barbute, but the superior protection of a bascinet. I probably like them more than the classic greathelms and armets when playing knights/paladins.

How's the flex when at full grip?

Image is my old pair of mediocre gauntlets, was never happy with the thumbs would much rather have the ones on yours. I think your edges need a little neatening, and the finger covering bits need less flaring out because it looks like it'll catch on stuff.

I can make a fist with it, and the thumb has decent movement, though it doesn't have as much inward bend as I'd like. The edges flared out at lot when i was bending it (I have no anvil, might have been part of the problem) and I don't know how to keep it from happening. At least it would make a backhand hurt like hell. Gonna try to make the left hand flare a lot less if I can

As for the edges, it was the first time I've ever used a bench grinder to do something like that, so they're rather sloppy.

Well, enough of a fist to hold things

I'd say grab yourself a mini-anvil and beat it down. You might have to un-rivet them and remove a bit of material to get the closer fit but I think it'd benefit greatly from it.

that sounds like a good idea. Are they expensive? I'd consider buying one for myself if they're not, otherwise it'd be a forty or so minute drive to somewhere I could use one, and again, I'm lazy. Don't mind unriveting them though, would give me a chance to consider redoing them with something that looks a little more historically accurate. Any suggestions on that?

That is the single sexiest suit of armor I have ever seen in my life. Thank you

Dunno about your local cost but a mini-anvil (these things really are mini) is cheap. Like 10$ cheap cos it's just a solid lump of metal. Rivets... for something passably historical get just dome-head, you'll see them on pretty much everything.

it looks like a 14th century kit to me, so a better word for it would be coat of plates

Anyone see Gropey lately? He always has good stuff.