EDH/COmmander General

Asspull Win Edition

Previously on /edh/: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Any recent memorable wins with cards you did not planned as wincons in your deck?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rishkars-counter-army/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-04-17-OSa-queen-marchesa/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Any recent memorable wins with cards you did not planned as wincons in your deck?

Atheros. Didn't outright get the kill, but I kept playing tokens, playing board wipes (or even better when my opps did) and he accounted for a solid 25-30 damage I did to each opponent.

>Any recent memorable wins with cards you did not planned as wincons in your deck?
Flashed in a Massacre worm when my opponent created 50,000 1/1 saprolings

Best way to defend against board wipes in monored?

The first time I realized I could go infinite sans Reiterate with Turnabout and Dualcaster Mage using Riptide to buyback the Dualcaster.
>Cast Turnabout for untap lands target me
>Hold Priority, cast Dualcaster
>Resolve copy
>Untap lands, use Riptide Lab to bounce Dualcaster
>Float mana and cast Dualcaster
Repeat ad nauseam for infinite storm and mana

My fav infinite with Dualcaster is with pic related. 6 mana I win button.

Last one was that I won by StoPing my Angel of Despair when I had Alhammarret's Archive and Sanquine Bond on the field, it was pretty fun

>go to card shop to pick up some cards for a new deck
>been going to this place since they opened 3 years ago
>get informed ive hit the 20% lifetime discount loyalty mark thing, highest you can apparently go
>only 13 other people have it
>feels good man
>ask how much money spend it takes to get there
>10 grand

i dont know if i should be happy or depressed

You do realize that you don't have to choose untapping lands until Turnabout resolves?

The best combos are the ones where you go:
>Think tank
>Uuuuh, cast this
>Then this, right?
>Slowly walk through the combo
>Eureka!

>Been going to local shop for last 15 years
>Owner is a big sports fan
>I'm apparently the only other person who goes there who is a sports guy
>We'll always talk sports whenever I go
>Will always give me pretty good discounts on singles and will occasionally throw me a free pack or two

Feels good.

He lets the copy resolve to untap extra lands plus the three to bounce Dualcaster while the original Turnabout is on the stack.

>10 grand
I don't think I've spent this much in my whole life on cardboard and I play both MtG and YGO.

>Local shop has been open for ten years
>Owner would always put a couple of binders with singles in them and was pretty good at changing them regularly
>Bought out by someone else
>Wont let people go through the binders and you need to tell him exactly what card you want before he takes them out.
>mfw

Are playmats worth the effort if you're only playing kitchen sink EDH with friends? The guy we play at has a nice and clean table so that's not an issue, I'm mostly curious if it's comfy to play on and worth lugging around.

I know that some shop owners only care about Modern, Standard or Legacy and Pauper or Commander cards are usually ignored but holy shit, today I found a Deepglow Skate in a 0.5€ bin and some interesting cards like Skyshroud Claim and Buried Alive in a 0.1/0.05€ bin

Do your shop have any bin like this? Did you ever find something interesting?

i buy a lot of boxes and older cards. the whole reason i buy stuff there is because i get a discount on dual lands and stuff like that

Found a SP Sneak Attack for $3 once

It's definetly more comfy. I wasn't a playmat guy but when I got one I can't play without It, it's more easy to grab cards. Besides, you could get your anime wifu printed.

Sort of related, there was that one user on here who almost managed to get like $80 worth of cards off TCGPlayer for around $9

Proportionally I almost did the same thing once.

Reprint of Skyshroud Claim fucking when?

There's also the guy that almost copped a Metalworker for 10cents iirc

I plan on plundering my LGS trash box for some MM17 cards, it's always a lot bellow their actual price but nothing too spectacular.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT THAT SHIT

STILL MAD SOMEONE SNITCHED

>Heavily Played
I'd rather buy from chinamen

Whatcha buildin' there user

He already posted it, follow the reply chain.

Cauldron of Souls
Soul of New Phyrexia

I didn't realize the nasty interaction between Helm of Obedience and Rest in Peace until I had them both out on the field while playing Gwafa Hazid. Tapped Helm on someone's upkeep to exile-mill them into oblivion, so that was fun

So, which cards are you guys going to get with Amonkhet?

I'm looking at getting Vizier of the Menagerie, Pull from Tomorrow, Harvest Season, Vizier of Many Faces, Harsh Mentor, Manglehorn, Dusk to Dawn, Bounty of the Luxa, Throne of the God-Pharaoh, Bontu's Monument, Oketra's Monument and Cascading Cataracts.

Quite a bit for a set I consider to be sub-par.

fixing for DAYZ

Has anyone ever tried Archenemy with five people? Is it better to go 4v1 or 3v2?

I'm mostly going to run it in decks that have Mana Reflection, so I can turn 5 random mana into 10 mana.

I was thinking about doing a casual shitbrew with this, 8post, magus of the candelabra and door to nothingness.

Based on the decks I currently have nothing looks definite.
>Marchesa
Approach of the Second Sun for memes.
Glorious End because sometimes you need just one more turn.
>Sisters
Champion of Rhonas because big dudes for cheap.
Rhonas the Indomitable so I can give Sisters trample.
>Meloku
As Foretold because it is just pure value.
>Neheb, The Worthy
Might just be a fun deck to make, always being hellbent essentially.

Probably nothing. The only thing I bought from KLD block was a pair of Paradox Engines

The Final Fortune effects are way better.

I liked Trophy Mage.

Depends on the situation, I personally like the idea of ending the combo player's turn as he tries to combo off.

That card is a riot. I cast it into a Wrexial once while Tomb of Yawgmoth was out, ended up kicking the shit out of everyone

You could've just not given him another turn, or if he's that bad just run another counterspell.

I included Smokestack in Gitrog. It's a nice piece, but froggy isn't really a stax deck, lacking other elements. Then, this happened

>Versus Skullbriar and Depala
>Holding off Skullbriar with Constant Mists
>Tap like an idiot leaving a mere 1 open
>Sac lands until I only have two looking for another I can drop to have Mists open
>Thank Yawgmoth for artifact mana, but I am still kind of hosed
>Drew Smokestack in all that
>Trade out Gitrog for Skullbriar so at least I'm not dead yet
>fuckit.jpg, drop smokestack
>Constant Mists and Rites of Flourishing keep me alive a couple more turns to start running Smokestack at 2
>Skullbriar is staying afloat with Rancor
>Depala is sort of durdling,but actually getting a lot of counters on Depala
>Actually gaining mana over here despite needing to mist every turn.
>Pull Desert Twister, take out Skullbriar so lands go down the tubes
>Briar now too expensive to cast, briar player throws out shit like mad to stabilize.
>LOLRANDOM Depala brings out Contagion Engine, Melts skullbriar's board, stabilization denied.
>Smokestack chugs on
>Depala proliferates it up to 4 before sacing Engine
>Do the math
>I can survive a round at 4 counters
>They can't.

Not only a win from an unexpected avenue, but a win out of the most egregious misplay I can remember making in EDH

That's retarded, I've done plenty of impulse buys of cards I forgot existed due to going through binders. If he's worried about theft put in some cameras.

You just gave me ideas, thanks guy.

>tfw only Johnny player in a full-on Timmy meta
>have maybe 3 creatures out at a given time with most of my decks
>the Windmill Slam/Turn Mondo Creatures Sideways approach is king
What's a nigga to do? Tokens?

pillowfort.

So you want a deck with complicated, intellectually satisfying decision trees that can really mess with big timmy dudes?

Stax is calling your name.

Be a Johnny and a Timmy. Play Maelstrom valuetown into combo or try your hand at Xenagod/ghave. Just shit out a ton of tokens, play some removal and win.

You have 5 seconds to ban one card, think quick.

Stax is the opposite though.. All you do is do lockdowns and win slowly over time. What you're referring to is control.

Tendrils

Sol Ring.

Sol Ring

There's really no reason to ban Sol Ring but leave things like Mana Vault.

Vault is fine, I'm thinking you meant Crypt.

says the man who has never played Stax. It looks like that from the outside when you're successful, but getting there and staying there is anything but trivial.

Are you retarded, or do you just play with retards?

Yeah, I actually did. Good catch, user. Regardless, I don't see why people have so many problems with a piece of basic ramp.

I agree with banning top, does not fit the format

I'd rather see unbans or see them separate it back into "banned in the 99" and "banned as commander". I don't think anything needs to be banned.

If you think stax is simple to play and doesn't require complex decision-making, then you should actually try playing it.

Stax is literally "symmetrical effects, the archetype". Dropping a static orb in itself is already very complex, since you need to suffer from its effect the least, it requires a lot of set-up and foresight.

Now imagine this with a deck full of stax pieces.

Stax gets memed here a lot, but it is legitimately a tough archetype to play correctly. Any asshole can drop a winter orb, actually benefitting (read: suffering the least) from it is a different matter entirely.

user asked for one card, there're plenty of cards I would ban and Sol Ring was on the top of my head.

I assume he wants it banned because of idiots taking 30 seconds to top every fucking turn. Card is fine, but retards make it too time-consuming.

Group Slug? Encourage the cavemen to club each other to death/near death and then insurrection them to death with their own big stupid dudes?

I don't get this. How in the hell does it take more than 5 seconds to Top? It's not a hard effect to employ.

Same reason it is banned in modern

Opinions on what to add and replace from maybeboard?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rishkars-counter-army/

I don't even get why it's banned there. Top is such a simple card that only the most retarded people should have trouble with it.

>control
>complicated
Are you kidding? Yeah it's more complicated than "hurr durr tap" but removing threats while managing your resources well isn't exactly what I'd call complex.

Managing the resources of 4 players at the same time and keeping answers ready, not to mention working towards your actual wincon, is what I'd call complex.

In what way?

Top is not banned in modern because it is strong, it is banned because it extends match times.

what does edh think about the new gods as commanders?

That's what I'm saying. How in the hell does it take more than 5 seconds to use? Only tards should take more than like 10 seconds using it.

>opponent plays fetchland
>waits until EOT to top
>mulls over top 3 cards for 10 seconds
>decides he doesn't like them
>cracks fetch
>15 seconds of searching + shuffling
>tops again
>another 10 seconds deciding the ideal order for these top 3 cards

This wouldn't be that bad if they did this while everyone else was taking their turns but that's NOT THE OPTIMAL PLAY so everyone has to sit and wait for 45 seconds while the top player jerks off to get their marginal card selection

You keep answering your own question.

Better in the 99. They're too weak on their own to be worth as commander. There are heaps of better options for monocolor.

So 'tards? Got it.

what are the most expincive cards in your favorite deck user?

The most what

defense grid, blood moon, wheel of fortune. You must be liked around your table. I wanna build something that just stops my opponents from playing magic.

Not too exciting, but my friend combo'd off with his tazri ally deck, rite of replicationed the dude who makes wolf tokens, and got out like 50 creatures.
He forgot I had a suture priest in play.
Oh how i laughed

Contamination, Vampiric Tutor, and Demonic Tutor. Commander is pic related.

Hazoret might be fun jank and is at least offering something vaguely unique, and Kefnet could displace Patron of the Soratami (Though Meloku was probably already the choice there). Other than that has it.

Cradle in Titania. I wouldn't have Cradle but I was actually playing in Saga.

My playgroup has tops in pretty much all their decks and we have no problems with it, we just top while people are taking their turns.
If you are a person who needs to play the game 100% optimally and take 30 seconds to think before your every move, commander is not the format for you.

We had a guy who pretty much only played legacy that made a commander deck (It was basically an UG midrange control deck, play some flash creatures, sit with counterspell mana up the entire game and swing with small creatures holding swords / jitte) who would literally spend 2 minutes wondering if he should crack a fetch or not, and then another 30 seconds to consider getting a dual or a tapped shock land. It was insufferable, but that's more a problem with the player than the card.

I should really take some new pictures

Post Queen?

What's the point of this card?

Draft. And even then, it's not good

What's the most fun combo you can pull out on your deck?

I like natural order into worldspine wurm, eternal witness Natural Order and repeat. It's not a game winning combo, but it's really fun to pull out.

ask seth better known as saffronolive
it wasn't THAT terrible

What?

suhweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-04-17-OSa-queen-marchesa/

Gut shot. Dude was swinging along with his 21/21 indestructible annihilator 6 ulamog to kill the other two players while ignoring the damage he was receiving. He dropped down to 6 lp and my turn came up. Lava axe to the face followed up by a gut shot.
Reflect damage. Using it on a Blasphemous Act killed one dude and then I used snapcaster to flash it back on a X=9 Earthquake.

Why in the fuck are you playing Gut Shot? It would only be useful in pretty much just that one situation, and a better card would probably prevent you from getting to that point to begin with.

/EDH/

What mechanics would you add to a Mono White or Mono Red General OR to the color in general to make the color more competitive against other Mono colored decks?

My suggestions:
White
-A general which changes the wording of Instants and Sorceries that prevent damage to actually deal damage to their target instead.
-Add more creatures that have Rebel effects (activated abilities which search up a creature with a CMC+1 greater than itself) and support to give those creatures more abilities based on how many are on the field.

Mono Red:
-A General which allows Instants and sorceries which deal 4 or more damage to draw a the player a card.
-Double the damage of creature's activated abilities. Those abilities also deal damage to the player.
-Each time you take damage from a permanent you control, you may also damage a creature for that amount.

>gut shot
Luis Scott Vargas, is that you?

What have you gotten recently /edhg/?

For monoblue:
Whenever you counter a spell, you lose the game.
Whenever you play an island, you lose the game.
Whenever you play a blue creature, you lose the game.
Whenever you cast an instant, you lose the game.