Magic:The Gathering: Snowflake/Lore/Waifu General

>Learning things makes you blue edition
>You are a planeswalker, one of a relatively few chucklefucks who know there's a whole bunch of shitty planes filled with shitty things.
>Please follow the rules of the planeswalker spark
>Keep shitposting, arguments, and bait to a minimum
>also don't go forcing your culture on other planes, that gets problematic as fuck.
Starting topic:Would your flake participate in the trials on Amonkhet? would they blow everything up? Would they waifu one of the gods (and why would it be The Pervert?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/servants-2017-04-19
gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=426028&type=card
gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=180601&type=card
gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=183994&type=card
gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=179553&type=card
darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drakeblood Greatsword
darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Drakeblood Set
dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Reaver
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

r8 and h8

Non-green elves are always a little weird, as is someone that has one color associated with Simic and two colors not associated with Simc actually joining the Simic Combine. But these aren't massive issues.

The two problems that actually need to be confronted:
>What about her makes her red? She is driven by ambition and she seeks perfection. What about her is driven by passion and impulse?
>How did Ravnica react to a horned elf that wasn't aware of Ravnica or any of its laws when she arrived? She seems like she would've caused a bit of a stir.

Yeah not really seeing the red here, senpai.

>thread to early for today's story
>snowflake thread
>still tries to include lore

Bumping because I have a new flakesheet on my pc.
Until then, let's talk about the previous blizzards. Which flake did you like the most? Which flakeposter did you like? Any plans for this storm?

My hope is that this one stays slower paced. Half a dozen flakes every couple of weeks is much less than cancerous than a dozen daily.

Although, I also hope that people will refrain from making too many angel/demon/construct/myr/treefolk/elemental/aetherborn/etc flakes.

>I also hope that people will refrain from making too many angel/demon/construct/myr/treefolk/elemental/aetherborn/etc flakes
I hope nobody makes a time traveller

It's a snowstorm. Retarded shit is inevitable.

All we can do is hope that we don't get too much of it.

>refrain from making too many angel
Are you gay or retarded

>Threadly Reminder

>A sliver character already
FUCK
Most angels are artificial mana constructs

Are these character used for stories or something? Or is it just good fun win custom snowflakes?

Some people make custom cards. Some people write stories. Some people just use it as a creative exercise to come up with new ways of representing certain color combinations and as a test of their understanding of the lore.

To word it in a less pretentious way, it's shit that's done because we're bored, cancerous faggots.

>new snowstorm
Bumping for interest

Not sure whether to make a mono-colored flake or writefag about the one I already made in

Do whatcha want.

Do what you want, although writing an interesting mono snowflake is a bigger challenge than writefagging.

Let's be honest here, I make no pretense of a monowalker being "interesting".

If you can't even try, then you're unimaginative and refuse to challenge yourself.

Tharunya-user from the first storm and Katin/Acervus/Eris/Makayel-user from the second here.
Have a WIP flake concept

Edgy and boring.

She's B/R, what did you expect?

You can be B/R and not be edgy
Fuck it, I'll make a B/R character and prove it to you.

Something a bit more interesting. There's gunna be a bit of edge, sure, but at least it could be something not so mind-numbingly boring.

And "insatiable bloodlust" beginning at the age of thirteen is edge overload.

Here's a start: Maybe instead of "one such ritual" that the writer was too lazy to think of any examples for, the ritual specifically had to do with her armor. And since being stuck in the armor is the only interesting part about this horrible murderfuck, why not make that be a source of actual depth? There should have been at least some people they care about. Some people who they enjoy being around and dont want to just murder for the evulz. So maybe play up how being stuck in a suit of evil, edgy armor caused problems there. Or maybe the fucked up ritual makes the armor act on its own accord sometimes and force their hand to violence even if they wouldn't.

As is this just makes me think of shitty animes or JRPGs where you have some 19 year old who's totally a veteran officer from The Military who's served in it for years and "quickly rose through the ranks" as was exactly the case here, as it always is. "lol I like to kill a lot" is just so fucking bland, I mean come on.

I appreciate your feedback. Once I flesh her out more she should be less generic.

Took like 20 minutes to make this

Explain how that's Black.

I have to agree with the other poster. The "can drain life" bit seems kinda tacked on and makes them only black in ability. This can happen (Kiora doesn't seem that blue, really, outside of summoning whales) but is sorta awkward.

I was going off of her hatred of the Lorwyn elves for trying to kill her and wanting to genocide them. I'll edit her bio later.

Uh... that's not red. Full blown fucking genocide out of spite is pure black.

Cool, I'll edit her to fit

Sounds like he would frequent Fiora more than Innistrad.
Innistrad has the problem of the only people really able to pay him being exceedingly egotistical, and likely to consider him a snack as well. They'd want nothing but self portraits of themselves doing stupid shit.

>artificial mana constructs
beings more akin to physical manifestations of white mana, more like that of a naturally occurring elemental being than what "artificial mana construct" implies, though there are planes with such angels.

This, with Demons similarly being manifestations of black mana.

He has absolutely no personality traits in common with black. Characters that have black as one of their colors are always defined by at least a few of the following traits:
>Ambition, a strong desire to be better than others around them.
>A great deal of self-preservation, to the point where they value themselves over others.
>A hatred for anything with power over them and that tells them what to do. Law and destiny are the two key foes of black.
>A disregard for morality. They don't allow themselves to be hindered or limited by vague and arbitrary systems.
>Selfishness. They value themselves above others so they see no reason why someone else should have something they have, or why someone else should keep something that they want.
>Disregard for the value of others' lives. In the eyes of someone that's black, they come first in all things. They are likely to use others as pawns and absolutely refuse to be used as pawns in exchange, unless they believe they can manipulate the person using them.

To put it simply, black is self-obsessed and puts the self before everything else. Different black characters do this in different ways but just saying 'I got death magic though' is a cop-out. That's the sort of thing that WotC does when they're lazy. Try and be a little better than that and actually make a black character.

I find it really odd how personality traits define what kind of magic one uses in MtG. By "find it odd" I mean I don't like it.

Colors of magic are fundamental forces that influence the psyche. It's a part of MtG.

Using black mana means you are more susceptible to the personality traits of black, as an example. You can only drain so many lives as use them to bolster your own life and magic because you start viewing other people as nothing more than walking fuel canisters for you to drain as you desire. Yawgmoth didn't become a seething mass of black mana just because he used death magic a lot, he became it because he was the most egotistical, self-obsessed maniac to ever exist as well. Everything about him embodied black mana.

You might not like it but it's ingrained into the setting at this point. It's not something that can just be disregarded because you dislike it.

r8 & h8

Just kinda weird how forest spirits cant do illusion magic because it's blue. Black draining magic is tied to personality and morality, sure, but there are plenty that aren't.

It depends on the forest spirit, some would be able to use illusions because they've learned or they simply can. Not needing blue to summon the copy doesn't mean it can't create an illusions, it just means that it's majorly x color.
Elspeth is able to use illusions despite being the whitest walker to ever be written.

Illusions requires certain attention detail, as they're only as good as the knowledge that the caster has of the subject. It's a perfectionist's sort of magic, one that lends itself well to a cerebral sort of person.

Besides, there's plenty of spells that a forest spirit could use to hinder and deceive people that wander the woods.

They are still not born, however, and thus not valid candidates for sparks without extenuating circumstances.
And when everyone has extenuating circumstances, you start to wonder why there were so damn many oldwalkers who didn't care about living or their own godlike power.

So a green card with an activated ability that costs U.

Plus everyone forgets that very unique circumstances led to Karn being able to hold a spark in the first place. Venser sacrificed his spark was just a way of purifying a vessel and transferring a spark to a vessel already able to hold one.

So the whole idea of a planeswalker being able to sacrifice himself and transfer his spark to his favorite angel, his new construct, his pet dog or whatever the fuck have you, is ridiculous.

Oh wow, looking back at this it's really shit.
There are not even close to enough birds.

Nah, I don't see much of a problem with it.

There are only four birds user. How is that not a problem?

I'm of the opinion that going with more than ten spells is an issue and shows you're sort of scatter-brained about where you want to take your flake.

As it is, we can see that your flake has got a big fucking things for birds and for flying. That's all we need. You don't need to put twenty different birds in there, that's redundant.

I suppose more would be redundant, thanks for the tip user, do you have any other advise for making/refining snowflakes?

This may be a fair consideration.

Just like to point out that sacrificing your spark can have other purposes too, though. Like what Slobad did when he temporarily had Glissa's spark. Those things are fairly powerful, but also seemingly fragile and temperamental.

It's more that we really don't need five Serran angels whom (suspiciously nameless) oldwalkers fell in love with and gave up their lives and godlike powers for so that they could become godlike multiverse-wanderers
It's not even creative, it's 'I want this thing that can't have, so I'm going to do it in the least creative way possible'

Of course I wasn't justifying angel planeswalkers but rather stating that they are generally a natural occurrence of the planes where they inhabit with a few planes having angels being considered artificial constructs, like Serra's plane I believe (I suspect Amonkhet will have a fake angel twist among other things)

In any case an angelic planeswalker would be like having an elemental planeswalker, though I imagine you could work in something about a planeswalker having something like fused with an angel. Tibalt is a human merged with a devil or something like that and Ob Nixilis and Garruk have both been veil corrupted into varying degrees of demonic planeswalkers at this point

There's still a strong likelihood of getting Elspeth-turned-angel later on.
It's possible to come up with a way to have an angelic walker, either literally so or just visually so, but one should be more creative than 'dude I didn't even bother to name gave her his spark cause...he fell in love with her looks SO MUCH he gave up his life'

Right. I get what you're saying.

However, as long as people aren't intentionally being shits, I welcome ideas like those to come forward. Being able to discuss the lore, context, and character building is more or less the point of the threads.

Any ideas on where I can get a good name for my Kaladesh fanwalker? Aside from just looking up Indian people on the wiki and finding one I like.

Well they're pretty boring but absolutely perfect as far as potential plot goes and motivation. Having something negative in the equipment section works really well. I could see them working really well as a foil to the inevitable flakes that are more over the top.

Grafted Wargear seems like just what you want

Search random indian boy/girl name of you don't care or look up the meanings of indian names if you want it to mean something.

Think about their parents. Were they traditional? Would they be into meaningful names? Would they name their child after a great grandparent or something? That might help.

Focus on Indian influence, although you can also create an adjective-noun name if you like. For Kaladesh, add an artsy adjective on to an engineering noun.

Ovalwheel, Glintsleeve and Weldfast, are just a few canon examples.

I don't think those were the people's names, were they?

Well, you did have a teenage elf using Shadowblayde as a pseudonym. Anything's possible.

Also, new lore article out, so focus on that rather than flakes for a bit.

Does everything on the plane turn to undead when the die? Or is it just people?

>mailman
>not attorney at law

fugg, missed the perfect opportunity. But I didn't want to tie him down to a guild because if he doesn't show up for work especially Azorious work they'll be asking questions.

Thanks, will work on making their personality stick out more.

Azorius are often called on for law, but in the days of the old Guildpact there were several guilds involved in the process.

>The Azorius Senate was responsible for creating laws and upholding a judicial system.
>The Boros Legion's League of Wojek officers patrolled the streets and arrested people who violated Guildpact law.
>Many of the best Advokists (lawyers) were members of the Orzhov Syndicate.
>It was not uncommon during very important proceedings for a representative of the Selesnya Conclave to be present, representing the guild that upholds the spirit of the law of the Guildpact.

To be an attorney would pretty much be Azorious or Orzov. The second and third most control your life guilds.

Based on the previous story, everything comes back as a zombie when it dies on this plane.

...Which honestly sounds to me like it wasn't such a hot place to live BEFORE Bolas showed up, either.

Whenever you kill something, you have to mutilate it horribly or it comes back with the same skills and strength as it had when it was alive. It sounds like living under Bolas is better.

that may have just been a phenomena of bolas's engineering, mind, we don't really know the full scope of the things he could do as an oldwalker prior to the mending. Do we have confirmation this automatic zombification was there before bolas?

But Bolas only took over the plane 30~ish years ago. Couldn't be pretending Bolas.

*premending

Why can't Aetherborn become planeswalkers?

Provide source, please.

They are created, not born creatures. They are technically living creatures that are born with sapience, so they aren't valid spark holder.

Last week's story has Nissa commune with the plane and it tells her about it.

>She is surrounded by darkness and an unending well of malaise. The pulse of this plane beats weakly around her.

>I lived, once, the plane seems to whisper in a hoarse, sand-scraped voice.

>She senses life, but it is not alive. What is left of the plane defiantly groans.

>He could never truly kill me. I abhor death.

>An image: half-eaten, undead antelope being trailed by hungry happy vultures. An elephant mother caressing the newly-arisen body of her dead child.

>Those that die will always return. That is the Curse of Wandering. My gift.

>She understands. What is dead, if it hasn't decomposed, will rise.

>Suddenly, she sinks, far, far beneath the surface of the plane.

>Her consciousness is somewhere hundreds of feet underground. She can sense the cavern she is in was made long ago by careful hands. The stale air is dense, dark, still against cloying clay and packed sand. The only movement is the writhing of scarabs.

>Their dead were sent here for me to keep them safe from rot . . .

>The halls are empty. Not even the beetles know where their food is.

>She has no physical form in this place. Her body is high above on the surface, sweating and shaking with the fever of a malnourished world.

>This once was my most treasured place.

>It is the echo of a scream.

>She understands now that these were catacombs. It was once safe and good.

>I protected the vessels to keep their souls alive and he took. . . them . . .

>The elf's chest tightens with anxiety. Her spirit, here, can feel it up above.

>He took them—!

>The cavern is completely empty.

>Please, he took them all, corrupted them all, end my guilt, I could not protect them—!

>Her body above is shaking with fear. She looks above to the ceiling of the catacomb, forcing herself up and out of the sand and scarabs and snakes she is surrounded in—

That is every last line about Nissa's communion with the plane. Unless I missed a line. If so, could you enlighten me?

what am I reminded of?

>She impulsively reached with her senses for something that wasn't there and recoiled with nauseated pain. This world was nearly dead, and it was killed only decades before.
>"Look at these buildings. The ones with the horns are all brand new. And in the old parts, anything that has Nicol Bolas's sigil on it was carved on later. If he had built this plane, then his signs would be as old as the rest of the glyphs. Every other building with his mark is new. I spoke with the plane last night, and Chandra, it is old and its pain is new. Nicol Bolas must have come and gone only a few decades ago."
>An elite ceremony metastasized into a mandatory life sentence. Thousands of infant orphans
it doesn't seem like it was 30 years ago, probably right before or right after the mending.

Why doesn't Nissa have more power?
Like she can talk to an entire plane. Why isn't she like Planeswalker Jesus?

Thanks. Sorry for being a little interrogatory, I'm used to people twisting details of the story to fit their ends around here.

I've got a WIP flake here. Anyone wanna r8 or h8?

Flavor text references:
gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=426028&type=card
gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=180601&type=card
gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=183994&type=card
gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=179553&type=card

Other flavor refs for nerds:
darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drakeblood Greatsword
darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Drakeblood Set
dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Reaver

>so focus on that rather than flakes for a bit

I'm sorry.

Power doesn't have to be all-around. She can be gifted in some areas without being crazy powerful in others.

card

I wonder which it was.

Was Amonkhet just oldwalker Bolas pulverizing an entire plane by himself for kicks before setting something up and coming back to check on it in a few decades, or a recently-fallen Bolas still being powerful enough to beat eight gods and crush an entire civilization by himself BEFORE he got hopped up on the Maelstrom's power?

The latter has some ugly implications for how much stronger Bolas is than basically anyone but Ugin.

Well Bolas should be out of even Ugins league now given the conflux.

That all snowflakes are equally shit

However, they can be shit for different reasons and in different ways (though they all share being shit by nature of being special snowflakes, in addition to the different reasons).

On Zendikar the world answered her need by making elementals and such.
Why isn't she doing that on every plane if she can make it friendly to her?

Now I want to see the story of Nissa ending up on some hostile plane and getting told to fuck off, forcing her to go through wackier and wackier hijinks in an attempt to amuse and befriend it.

It's a good start. Probably one of the best flakes of the storm so far and easily one of the better ones over the past year and half.

I don't see any obvious errors when it comes the lore, except for maybe godtrackers being surprised that giant beasts would actually try to eat them. The people of Naya are a little more aware of their landscape than that, and are used to the gods they worship trying to eat them. Not all of them are passive.
Colors seem fine. Reverence of great beasts for green, black for self-preservation and her belief in her own greatness. Maybe red's a bit light but it's not a big issue. Maybe take the opportunity to focus a little on red when you write about her experiences outside of Alara.

The cards you're using make it seem like she'll definitely be visiting Tarkir, which is natural considering her focus on dragons. I'm not sure wherever she'd venture though. Although she'd be more suited to wild planes like Zendikar and (maybe) Theros, I'm curious about how she would react to an urban environment, like Kaladesh or Ravnica.

I used to think the hump on top its shoulders was the plaguelord's head and that it just didn't have a face. I never really noticed the cheeks, eye sockets and nose on its forward protrusion until just recently.

Living on zendikar her entire life could have something to do with that. Not to mention a shared goal in dealing with the eldrazi. And zendikar has always been characterized as being extra rich in mana and an extra wild plane, which seems to correspond with an abundance of elementals and aggressive land. We see this with the awaken mechanic.

Amonkhet isn't nearly as fertile as zendikar or bursting with power. So not only does it seem less able to shit elementals out the ass for Nissa to use, but it's probably also less sympathetic to her. Holding a conversation isn't the same as being literally allied with it, like Nissa was to zendikar. Nissa has great communication skills, for planes, but that doesn't mean she has super magic in other areas like summoning.

Thank you very much.
You're right about the characterization of the other godtrackers being a weak point. Woolly Thoctar even mentions it as being aggressive. So I'll have to try and make that more clear that it's less fact and more Ashlyn's opinion in favor of dragons, like on Godtracker of Jund. Including her disappointment with or willingness to fight gargantuans could even be a good spot to highlight the red in her identity. So, that's a part to work on.

One of my thoughts for "what are they up to now" is indeed being on Tarkir. It might be stepping too close to the Real Ass Story to work, but I could see her working towards bringing back the clans as opposed to the dragon broods. The clans all venerated an aspect of the dragon, and revered their power, but still killed the fuck out of them to survive. Even if Ashlyn doesn't know about that secret history, I could see her wanting to upset the balance so that dragons don't have a stranglehold on Tarkir.
But your point about her being stuck somewhere like Kaladesh or Ravnica seems like a lot of fun, and an easier way to get involved with other planeswalkers and not step on the official story's toes so much.

Nissa as protag of a dating sim game with mtg's planes when?

Hard Mode: Progenitus

Night Made: Alara's Maelstrom

Tarkir couldn't be further from the main story. As far as we know, Ugin's fucked off away from it and it's just been left to rot. It's one of the only planes that's never been touched by a member of the Jacetice League, so I'd say you're safe.

Oh yeah, currently. I'm more thinking, MaRo and co. seem very aware that getting rid of the clans was a mistake and I can't imagine a return to Tarkir doing anything but overthrowing the dragonlords and getting khans back into power. So by doing anything with that I'm bound to be getting into territory that will be overwritten sooner or later.

But, if that isn't too much of an issue, then I think I will go with the Tarkir plan.
And that doesn't stop her from temporarily being at other locations, and possibly meeting other flakes.

I wouldn't expect a Tarkir block until 2020 at the earliest. Especially at the end, it didn't match the popularity of other planes.

Ravnica has a giant dragon she could worship.

You're not allowed to let Niv know that planeswalkers exist. There was a whole thing about that between Jace and Ral. The consequences would be insane.

I have the theory that one of the gods he killed was responsible for the afterlife which is why the dead are now cursed to wander the plane.