sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...

Thread topic: Despite it being pretty cool and (understatedly) good, is anyone else getting kind of tired of Polearm + Sentinal being the meta on every character that relies on melee?
(Im about to pick it up myself to combo it with warcaster and booming blade, which my DM is allowing.)

I'm kinda sick of how much martial characters NEED feats to be good in general. Something the recent UA did absolutely NOTHING to address, unfortunately.

>"Here's all these cool things you'll never use because they're fluff weighed directly against mechanical advantages you actually NEED like combat feats and ASIs."

the new feats are op anyways id never allow them

I'm all kinds of jealous.

I'm thinking about trying out 5e but the players I'm usually with can't even answer basic questions. What's the minimum amount of players you guys have had and still had fun with it?

How do you guys go about speeding up combat? I ran a goblin ambush against level 5 players tonight just to set the scene, show the area was dangerous, and introduce an npc, and it still took an hour (10 gobbos). I want to give them flavor and description but at the same time I feel like combat can get drawn out so much sometimes.

I dunno.
I always end up just taking GWM, and I never really take PAM.
>playing into a "meta"
>in a ttrpg
In all seriousness, I don't think melee characters really need feats, they're just really nice to have.

Nigga what? Martials are fine as is. This is a game where the big monsters rarely have more than 120 HP. Extra attacks are enough for that.

Played only martials and never bothered using it even though it is pretty strong. Debated running it on the barbarianI want to play next but I'll probably go with greatsword because I like the mental image of it. mostly because of this fucker

OP? Lol, 7/10 of them are things you should already be able to do with Proficiency in the skill.

You shouldn't need a feat to use a skill you know how to use in a cool way.

Anybody wanna give me an opinion on a build?

Right now I have 9 levels in the UA ranger (darkstalker). I have the Skulker feat and 20 Dex already. I think the game will last to level 20, so I ideally want to get 17 levels in ranger (swift quiver) and 3 in another class. I'm thinking of fighter.

Should I go 3 levels in fighter now to get the Battlemaster stuff? Or wait until level 12 (to get sharpshooter) then go for the 3 levels in Fighter? Action Surge is a huge buff to first turn damage, but sharpshooter is also a huge buff to first turn damage.

Without feats casters do more damage than martials so... they are kind of needed so that they have at least one thing in which they shine.

reposting,

give me a good, blaster-y awakened mystic build or if my suspicion of awakened being shit, anything that would work in its stead.

I dislike that you need cantrips to be a decent melee rogue

Yeah, I am only just starting to dm so it feels like I got my wings tonight. Running SKT and I poured a lot into customizing things for them. It's awesome to see them enjoying it as much as I enjoy creating the experience and presenting it to them. I run with 4, I feel like any less than 3-4 would be difficult.

What if it's more than a 1-2-3 dip, though?

I honestly just like the idea of a holy knight constantly shitting out rays of purifying light and being a literal shining beacon.

My dm really loves to lay on the descriptions during fights too. He unfortunately isnt very articulate or good at it, but it doesnt take away from the game or draw things out too much longer than needed. We like to get descriptive with our actions and attempted attacs pre and post roll too.

That said, one time we were running REALLY late and ditched all description that wasnt the room around us. We got through several combats and a boss battle in an hour that would have taken us an entire day otherwise, and everyone but the DM agreed it was an absolute blast to blast through the game like that. Very seat of the pants, required a lot of quick thinking, felt engaging as hell.

There's got to be a good medium somewhere...

At that point, just continue on ranger. The utility spells give are better than battlemaster dice, although Menacing Attack is a great maneuver.

>multiclassing UA

Try and plan your own moves ahead of time and if you really want lump groups of goblins together. They all roll one attack and it's hit or miss and then each does its own damage.

Also try and cut down on the "uhhh um I'm gonna uhh what should I do guys?" In the party ask people to try and plan ahead and have their move and attack ready. Make it known that you'll give each person ten seconds then it's either do something or loose your turn.

are you retarded?

these feats are 10x better than most of the +1 ability score feats in the PHB

that makes them op

Like what can trips specifically
Maybe mage hand, but what else?

>Martials are fine as is...

When the 5e thread pic is actually from Pathfinder.

Booming blade or green-flame blade

They're still worse than just taking a +2 in a stat instead.

Not counting the ones that give you some free spells and such, they're still mostly giving you shit that you should ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO IF YOU'RE PROFICIENT IN THE SKILL.

Are Dragonborn the weakest PHB race? I was thinking of making them +2 STR, +1 CON and adding a Natural Claw attack for my setting's tough guy race.

If it stays the fuck away from anime and fur bullshit I'd let it slide since it's halfway decent.

I don't really get this. Yeah, some combos with UA might be a little too strong, but not all of them, surely? Can Revised Rangers never multiclass because they're UA?

Melee rogues played fine for the literal year and a half before SCAG came out, and still play fine without those cantrips.

Are you baiting right now? Most people throw autistic fits over Dragonborn so why the fuck would you ask here for starters. Also why buff them they get a free breath weapon for hitting crowds.

Dumb question. I'm having an one-off DM session in a month or so; I'm usually just a player but our group's DM isn't going to be there and I wanted to host a small quest for that night.

I'm a bit worried about loot though. Our group is mostly run on pre-made adventures and the loot at the end of the major quests is always rolled from the table but I don't want to step on any toes by giving away shit that wouldn't normally fly in our main sessions; however, I don't just want to give out gold and healing potions.

Would giving out some +1 ammo, Lv1-2 scrolls, uncommon potions and non-coin loot be decent for a group of 5 Lv 6 PCs? Total EXP for the quest is going to be ~5,500 EXP.

Revised ranger is a special exception, but that's only if you use the revised ranger and standard archetypes. They specifically say not multiclass UA because it is test material and needs balance to not create broken builds like nuclear druid.

UA isnt balanced with other classes in mind. It's just ideas for people to test, that might be tweaked and published later. Some of it would be fine, just make sure your dm is ok with it

How about ask your DM you fucking idiot, if it's gonna make its way back into his game then you clear it with him.

You don't need them, you do better with them.

Ranged works better for everything except Swashbuckler who actually does decent at Range as well, but melee has the exact same damage.

Occasionally there's someone here who doesn't freak the fuck out about something other Human, Dwarf, Elf and Orc.

Also the full list of their abilities are resistance to a damage and a nearly decent Breath weapon. I figure at least giving them better stats for anything but a Paladin and a Natural Attack would be small enough to not unbalance anything.

Maybe I should've just asked what's a good die size for a Strong races Natural Attack but it's a bit late.

easily, followed closely by gnomes. dragonborn literally only perform optimally as paladin and even at that they are vastly outclassed by other races as charisma classes and martial ones.

At least Gnomes make good Wizards and magic resist is awesome.

Plus if you get the feat as a Svirfneblin then you become pretty fucking good as an Arcane Trickster or Abjurer.

That's the thing though they trade that boost for the breath weapon and resistance, personally I wouldn't change anything but if you really want I could see a 1d4 claw attack as a bonus action not being terrible.

Also you are correct but at this hour it's normally nothing but shit posting so I try to make sure before trying to have a discussion.

His words were 'I don't give a shit." It's not much to go on because he obviously does give a couple fucks but probably not a lot of fucks.

Is Animal Handler from this weeks UA a viable fix for Beastmaster ranger?

Assume that Revised Ranger is not an option because my dm wont let me use a giant wolf spider with it because the poison damage far exceeds the damage output of the other beast options despite it being allowed in core beastmaster for some reason.

Hardmode: Dont answer this post with "use revised ranger" or "find a new dm" anyway.

Yeah, agreed. I feel like everyone moves at a reasonable pace, it's just all the little micro-stops that add up and slow it down. I feel like I can't have more than like 2 encounters a night since we play weekly for 3 hours. Otherwise it's nothing but combat. I'm worried because an upcoming session for me is going to be a huge raid (SKT, Goldenfields, going to try to make it feel very LOTR with fire coming over the walls and mass panic and stuff), and I'm scared we won't be able to make it through it all in one night.

Well then I'd literally roll from the loot table in the DMG and what every shakes out is what they get.

Still run what you roll by him just in case, I've seen alot of DMs one shot for a friend then everything goes to hell because he gave out loot like candy.

They should have darkvision just like everything else

Are those UA? My party doesn't use it.

What do when your party doesnt pick up any aoe. Running encounters with tons of enemies to modify difficulty is a pain.

Well the main thing you could do is set goals, or break up the action. The party doesn't get to rest but they repel x number of attacks or what ever and you pause for the night even if you have extra time.

Try leaving them in suspense if you have to, it'd be nice to get through it all in one night but if you have to try and piece it so it keeps them wondering about what's going to happen next game.

SCAG

The main issue I see is a Tiefling with the option that gives them Burning Hands does it better. Resistance, a Cone attack, a Cantrip, Darkvision and a spell at 5th level.

They even let you take +2 DEX or CHA and +1 INT or +1 CON. It's just plain better at everything but wearing Heavy Armour.

Even Fire Genasi does it better.

Published material (SCAG)

If they aren't using the tools provided that is there problem, I try to balance a bit for what my PCs normally run but if a group would use pack tactics then that is what they are using.

Just don't play beastmaster if your DM is going to remove the UA option.
If you can use the UA, but don't want to because you want the spider, then deal with it and find something else.

Base beast master is just straight up garbage. Don't use it.

No, really, just don't.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide supplement book. Should be in the op, or you can google it. they're pretty good options for any arcane melee character.

I know, seen it happen before as well. I was thinking of having everyone make a new character for this but we really only see each other on game night and I didn't want 5 of the same character to show up but I also didn't want to spend the hour building characters at the beginning either.

Any tips to convert some of my friends to DMing? I never get to play. There is one guy in the group who seems interested in it but I guess he is too nervous or too lazy to actually try it. He keeps saying he wants to make his own campaign and I keep offering to help him but I guess he doesn't want to put the work in to actually do it or something. What can I do to get some people more interested in trying to DM?

I agree but they also thought Yuan-Ti was perfectly fine and I told people don't bring that to my table.

My guess is they expect DMs to have the world be more difficult to that PC with either disadvantage when talking to certain groups or possibly people wanting to randomly attack them. They made a class and set the lore assuming everyone would follow it but most I know don't care, yeah you get odd looks but nothing beyond that.

Does that one guy know that players will show up? Only time I ever tried DMing I couldn't get enough players because the people I played with weren't interested in running two games at once.

Unfortunately they are either interested or they aren't. I played two campaigns for a bit and both fizzled then I picked up DMing and we're up to level 11. It takes someone who really wants to DM and can keep the players interested in the plot.

It's a challenge at times and some people just don't want to put that much work into a game.

So 20 levels in Ranger?

The only thing from the last 3 levels from Ranger are:
Feral Senses (limited use as an archer)
1 ASI
1 more 5th level slot
+4 to an attack/damage roll

Battlemaster gives me:
+1 to AC
Second Wind
Action Surge
3 Maneuvers (Menacing, Precision, Trip?)

The ASI is nice, but I probably will only use Swift Quiver once. +4 to attack/damage is similar to a d8 from Precision or Menacing. Action Surge synergies super well with the UA rangers first turn + Sharpshooter.

That's actually a good point. In lore Tieflings should be treated much worse then they are but most people hand wave it, whereas Dragonborn are probably treated with something closer to fear or awe.

Maybe keep them the way they are, scale the breath weapon down 1 die at each level (1d6, 2d6 and etc.), then make it usable CON modifier times per long rest? It does use up there action and they can't start with it more then 2 times per rest.

The other idea would be making it a Die pool equal to CON modifier that you can spend dice from to use. Maybe add +1 at 6, 11 and 17. So they can split it throughout the day.

>Maybe keep them the way they are, scale the breath weapon down 1 die at each level (1d6, 2d6 and etc.), then make it usable CON modifier times per long rest? It does use up there action and they can't start with it more then 2 times per rest.

Now this is an idea I can get behind, it's a little simpler than the next idea which is what 5e tries to thrive on. However if your players can handle then the other one doesn't sound bad.

Also if sticking with the con then still giving a 1d4 claw bonus action attack isn't gonna kill anything. Gives them some more options, especially if they play a martial, while doing what you want.

Alright sweet. I'm leaning towards the Die option because I like the idea of being able to have pool of energy to expend.

While I'm at it is Human, Dwarf, Elf, Goblin, Dragonborn, Aasimar, Firbolg and Tabaxi missing any racial gaps? I didn't particularly want Goblins but I thought I needed a smaller race and couldn't think of anything good to do with Halflings.

>Brawny Goliath meme
Time to carry my horses and use them as nunchucks.

Is there any way to get an extra attack as a mystic?

yes. Multiclass.

I'm not the fag who makes a point to say no Multiclassing UA, but there's literally no rules that would allow Mystic or Artificer to do it.

They have no prerequisites table saying what you need to hop in and out of them which means by doing that it's literally homebrew. Even if it is obvious what they would be.

I don't give a shit about Deepstalker/Knights, Protection Cleric/War Mage or whatever. Mystic is currently incapable of multiclass though.

Of the new feats everything besides Menacing ,Medic and Brawny is shit.

That's not an option

Diplomat seems nice

So I'm in a West Marches-style campaign - Man vs. The Wild themes, little civilization beyond what you bring in. I'm planning to do a Monster Slayer Ranger, using a hand crossbow with Crossbow Expert. Basic character premise is that he's compiling a bestiary of the dangerous creatures to inhabit the wilderness.

I could use a little advice, but note first: the DM has implemented several notable houserules. Short Rests are 8 hours, while Long Rests are 3 days. He's also using a Wounds/Vigor system (large vigor pool before small wounds pool) and incorporating injuries sustained when taking damage in your Wounds threshold. With those two bits of knowledge in mind, Medicine is going to be a relevant skill to treat the lesser injuries and maximize downtime healing in order to conserve precious spell slots.

Hunter's Mark is an obvious pickup, but I'm not sure what else to grab for spells. I don't actually much like the whole magic element of Rangers, so I'd prefer to go for more subtle ones if possible. I'll already have Protection from Good/Evil via Monster Slayer. Goodberry seems like a decent choice to supplement between-combat healing.

Also, the DM decided to just let us make custom backgrounds from 2 skill proficiencies, 2 tool proficiencies and the feature/items from extant backgrounds. I grabbed the Outlander feature, since coupled with Nature Explorer I'll be able to reliably forage for a dozen people. Also picked up Herbalism/Fletching since we don't have anywhere to go shopping for healing potions or ammunition. There's an abandoned settlement we'll be trying to slowly colonize over the course of the game, but until that gets up and running we're on our own.

Menacing, Stealthy and Silver Tongued are all good. Menacing and Silver Tongued are good on Fighters or Dual-Wield Rogues. Stealthy solves an issue Assassins had with being unable to attack from hiding without being spotted.

Brawny is shit and going to lead to "lol I'm a Goliath wrestler" and Medic is decent but I think I'd rather Healer unless I need that +1 WIS.

I think people are quite underestimating Historian, on a Mastermind they can give people advantage and +Proficiency on any ability check in and out of combat and advantage on any attack within 30ft. They're basically a no magic Bard who can make any out of combat check near impossible to fail.

I think I'm going to try one next.

Hunter's Mark is actually a poor pick since your Bonus Actions will already be competing between Xbow Expert's attack and Slayer's Eye (the attack is better than either).

Since you already dislike magic, consider playing a Rogue.

I'm sorely tempted to, actually - possibly the UA Scout Rogue - but Slayer's Eye seemed fantastically useful for determining the nature of what are likely to be unfamiliar and esoteric beasties.

In the event Rogue is the call, any recommendations?

The speed discipline from order of the immortal costs 5 points though.

So, what powers would a cleric pledged to a whole pantheon instead of a single deity have?

Any proper domain, it's just a matter of what parts you focus on. Most clerics of the Sovereign Host are dedicated to the entire thing anyway.

One domain he's focused on or the domain of the temple he was taught at.

Knowledge cleric for the fluff.

I'd say Life, Knowledge or Light depending on what type of Pantheon it is.

Damn, that would eat through psi like nothing else.

I was thinking about a mystic grappler with the new brawny features since they'd get;
Advantage on athletic rolls with plus 5 and double proficiency
Huge size type
2d6 + 1d8 (once per turn) unarmed damage
+10ft range on who you can grab per turn
30 temp home with an extra 1-5 per turn

I just don't think it'd be viable without the extra attack. Hopefully once they're published they don't get needed too hard, because dipping into fighter would end all their problems.

So can a Rogue with the Silver Tongue feat Attack, substitute the attack for the Deception roll part, make an dual wield attack with Advantage, run away and then return next round for two more Advantage attacks?

Last session story time post yours you munchkin fucks

>party takes on bounty to investigate a small town that went quiet, nobody in or out in months and no contact at all. Everyone who had went to the town never returned
>party travels, small encounter with some hobgobbos (setting up for the hobgoblin legions to invade the country soon), makes it to the marshlike swampy area that leads to the town
>shit starts to get weird, party has nightmares and begin losing max hp at night, begin to get exhausted
>always before this would happen, whatever awake pcs would begin to see figures and shapes just out their peripherials
>party makes it to town and begins investigating, shit is weird, public hangings and creepy innkeeps the works
>eventually party begin to realize that the townsfolk dont eat, sleep, and just stand around their houses and such all day every day, food in town is tasteless, etc
>party is all down on max HP at this point, they're looking rough
>One PC disappears after failing a save, finds himself in the toen without any of his companions
>this party member is convinced his pet dog has turned evil or been replaced, murders his dog
>dog disappears, no blood or anything
>dog reappears in the town with the rest of the party
>party shits brix, one commits sodoku and disappears
>party all off themselves/ each other and wake up to find themselves in the middle of the marsh, exhausted and starving and thirsty and filthy
>realize that the whole town was an illusion, begin to head to where they think the town is, and are attacked by a shambling mound
>after a tough fight, the party needs to rest. Several pcs succumb to the illusion and find themselves back in the town
>this time the townsfolk are rabid and feral, large battle ensues before party realizes they need to die
>back in the real world, party makes it to the town, which looks like a much younger and newer version of the illusion town

then they murdered the innkeep on accident and surrendered to the town

Who Oath of Batman here?

Does a Trickery Cleric's Illusion count as Half-Cover? What about as an ally for Sneak Attack?

As someone who loves martials, PAM makes me fucking upset. IT should go right into the fucking trash with all the pissants taking it trying to be hip and cool with something everyone knows about.
I'm not saying PAM cannot be a legitimate choice for a character, but with how often that's not the case, I'm usually wary of anyone taking it.

>When you took PAM before it was cool on a Ranger X/ Druid 1

It was so much fun putting out 3-4 Attacks per turn for 1d8+WIS at level 5.

Martials are underpowered, no use getting mad at people for taking the thing that they think is going to help them keep up with casters. It won't.

Just curious here, how much does your players talk between each other during fights? Just OOC stuff like general tactics, suggestions and battle plans like that. I just DM'd through three sessions of a large scale fight over Roll20 and it was dead silence between them all the time and alot of "I don't know what to do" moments. Would encouraging the players to learn about the characters strength/weakness help out here so they can discuss stuff amongst each other instead of me as DM line up all the choices for current player to pick?

Is it worth to take Magic Initiate or a dip into Sorcerer/Warlock/Wizard for Booming Blade on a Nature Cleric? I have a passion for rolling as many of the same damage die as I can.

No, you wouldn't trigger TWF.

Missed that you actually had to make the attack with TWF, not just make the attack action.

W-what's wrong with martial?
Did I fuck up with my greatweapon focus?

Yes. Pretty sure normal illusion count as cover too.
Not clear for sneak attack. I guess you could get it off if the enemy still think illusion is a threat (sneak attack require "enemy" of the target)

I run a sandbox-esque game, and I notice the players often have IC discussions, even when they are not necessary. They discuss things such as what to do next, what their capabilities and skills are, and sometimes even notable enemies and what they can do. Most recently, they decided completely IC to go and free a random slave, despite it offering little benefit. It made me smile to see the party so-well connected.

As a player, both parties I am in are amazingly talkative IC. In one game, we practically have war meetings IC before each planned combat (helps that the entire party is apart of the same military). In my other game, I've noticed everyone (including myself) is interested in everyone else's backstories, and we've been slowly uncovering everyone's own story throughout the campaign all IC. It's quite a treat to be in such parties.

What can you do other than damage? What kind of narrative changing power do you have?

>who is Heracles

At higher levels, I would recommend either going for the Magic Initiate (Wizard) feat or even a two level Wizard dip, as after level 12, Booming Blade catches up nicely to martial damage. Picking up Find Familiar would also be a nice thing to do along the way for the Help action.

At lower levels, I am less certain, since you would be sacrificing stat-increases. If that is of no concern to you, then go on ahead and follow the above advice.

An immortal mystic.

No, ignore the "muh caster supremacy" autists

Was thinking I'd go human for Magic Initiate. Getting that much damage on an attack is nice when I don't need anything but WIS and the always Advantage should be good. I guess I'll take Minor Illusion for my second one.

The help action only has a 5ft limit when used to assist Attacks right? It never gives one for ability checks.