Magic the Gathering news!

Magic the Gathering news!

The next set will be called Ixalan.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/ixalan-worlds-pro-tour-nationals-and-rptqs-2017-04-18

Commander 2017 will be four tribal decks.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

Atlazan sounded better. This one reminds me too much of my Illusionist Husbando

>Four Tribal decks
I'm guessing
>Humans
>Elves
>Goblins
>Zombies

How the fuck is "Ixalan" pronounced?

"icks-ah-lahn"?
I cannot into fonicks.

>Tribal Commander Decks

Dragons, Demons, Angels, and... something else? What's the 4th most popular Tribal deck that isn't just like humans or elves?

Dragons, demons, and angels already have a commander. Also, it's tribal, which means tribal support. As I said before, that means Humans, Goblins, Elves, and Zombies.

sneks :(

I wish we didn't know anything about mesoamerica set, i seriously couldn't care less for egypt content but i'm all over crazy south america+Ajani and that's gonna be like six months away.

Dragon is the most popular creature type. That's why they include them every block. I would be very damn surprised if they didn't have one of these be Dragon.

Horrors, Zubera, Merfolk and Elementals

Shit's my jam

Well, I'm already thinking about budget Rakdos-tribal deck so maybe I will just wait for more leaks

I know WotC will go straight for the most popular tribes, but I really wish we could get some lesser-played tribal support (Spirits, Birds, Beasts, or Clerics would be awesome)

Well, we can safely theorize that Amonkhet was in its design stage back around the end of Theros. So, this Commander set was probably conceptualized sometimes during Tarkir, maybe Origins.

What creature types were popular and getting a lot of attention back in 2014-2015? I'm thinking Warrior will probably be one of the tribes but I can't guess any others.

Rebels
Fungus
Viashino
Shade

>we have just folded space from Ix
>many machines on Ix
>new machines

what they won't do is allied colors :'(
U/W Merfolk
U/B Rogues? Fairies?
W/G Elves
R/G Hydra??
R/B Demons
What would they be? what are the main tribals for two color pairings?

Following the Nahuatl, it'll sound like "Ish-ah-lan.

PLS BE NIGHTMARES, I WANT MY CHAINER SUPPORT

They're only doing four. No color wheel limitation, either.
I hope there's a 5 color Eldrazi commander

>better than those on kaladesh

>Eldrazi
>color

Devoid was a mistake. They should all have been actually colorless instead of NOT!Colorless I totally swear guise !

Thought it was Eek-sah-lan

Smaller eldrazi were colored in RoE.

Kind of similar to Tlaxcala, I'd assume. But nothing at all like Taoiseach.

Yes, I know, I was saying they should not have been. Can you read, or do you need to go back to third grade?

Seems like this would be a good place to do Planeswalker-as-Commander again, but instead of mono-colored, they'll have abilities that create and buff their tribe.

what existing planeswalkers would work with that? Sarkhan?

They'd make new ones.

>yfw Gix finally returns to continue spreading the Ineffable's teachings

>They just pick tribes that suit the Gatewatch so we have Jace Wizards, Nissa Elves, Gideon Soldiers and Lili Zombies

>yfw theres a 5 color slivers deck

>$35
I wish

If I could have anything, it'd be a Jund Ooze tribal.

Rebels
Mutants
Ninjas
Turtles

dragons, demons, angels and something else?

>Brushwagg
>Sable
>Lamia
>Wombat

>Bears
>Kobolds
>Clerics
>Myr

Nice
Ten aged tribal when

Teenager*

Spiders
Kithkin
Leviathan
Vampires

Wizard
Shaman
Cleric
Samurai

SARPADIAN EMPIRES TRIBAL

FUCKING DO IT YOU BASTARDS

Rats.

A 10yo is fine too

I bet they will all be humans

>No qt female Jackal Jund Planeswalker

The new Duel Decks has the whole warriors angle for the red deck with the legendary buffing berserkers, warriors, and something else. And they have the guy that turns things into cowards.
Warrior will definitely be one of the decks
They will do another (another) cat themed decks because the guy on their R&D who is obsessed with all things cat related.

Okay I get that it's tribal themed. However why is there only 4. Unless they go 5 color among all of them. Won't there be a color less represented?
Although that would be cool if they introduced 4 new 5 color commanders.
If they don't. What color do you think will be underrepresented?

Maybe there will be a colorless one?
I wouldnt mind if green took the axe this time. Its already good enough in EDH.

>Samurai
We dont talk about that. WOTC made that pretty clear.

Also with 5 color tribal in mind. What tribes do you think they will do that are 5 color?

You can't stop me from dreaming.

Oh I'm with you, dont misunderstand me. But wotc screwed up so hard on the mechanics of kamigawa, i'm just making sure our hopes for weeb themed mtg stays about 0.

Do you think they will do the obligatory 5 color slivers deck?

A 5 color (devoid) or a colorless EDH build sounds kick ass!!!

I know. MaRo has straight up said they are more likely to make an entirely new Japanese plane than revisit Kamigawa, but that would be confusing consider they still reference Kamigawa with Tamiyo, so that's not happening.

I think the best I could hope for is for them to reference Madara on Dominaria in some way, which would give us that Samurai aesthetic without the Kamigawa baggage, but even then MaRo has said they don't want to go back to Dominaria without giving it a consistent theme, so kinda S.O.L. there as well.

One day I will have a good Samurai Commander. One day.

Scion of the ur-dragon would be a cool reprint and add some new dragons to go along with in.

It would be cool, but if there's one thing we dont need, its even more fucking dragons.

What if this is an opportunity to introduce new tribes that don't exist yet. Is there any creature type magic hasn't done yet that you would want a tribal edh deck for?

Fuck what if it's just a rehash of all the old 5 color commanders!?!!
Dragons
Slivers
Atogs
and either elemental's or Scarecrows...

As with every other problem this franchise faces, the solution is to fire MaRo and anyone who has ever approved of his decisions.

>Thinking it's gonna be 5-color
They said that they're ignoring color balance. It's 4 tribes, potentially with overlapping colors.

I hope they make a 5 color Phyrexian EDH deck.
However, a 5 color Eldrazi would be okay too... I guess...

Okay, so what color do you think will be underrepresented?
btw already mentioned ->

If any color gets hosed it's gonna be red because it's always red

Hopefully blue.

Don't say it out loud

don't let -him- read this

Dragons, Slivers, Eldrazi, Scarecrows.

>Phyrexian EDH deck
We already got that. They even excluded the worst color.

lol, as much as I hope that where that case I highly doubt it. Especially with the mtg communicates hard on for blue.

I'm expecting two three-color tribes, two two-color tribes, covering each color twice.

So, I'm expecting an ally tribe, an enemy tribe, a shard tribe and a wedge tribe.

Ally 5 color...

Fuck off, they made a 5-color ally tribal commander less than two years ago. Why would they make one now?

It might sound cool to you but consider the logic. There's no reason why they'd pursue that.

It saddens me that you are correct...

Can you read? What part of my post made you think that I would want a 5 color Ally deck?

The fact you post
>Ally 5 color...
when it's irrelevant to any of the content of the post you're responding to.

He means a shard.
This would be the best way for all colors to be represented, but what combos could you make from that?

Maro now's your chance for a third unset, the green commander deck!

Ixalan spoilers:
>the plane is full of brown-skinned natives
>their society is actually run by an evil authority figure who is evil
>the mighty Whiteys of the gatewatch will BTFO the BBEG and bring enlightenment to the brown people
>Gatewatch fucks off somewhere else after the block is over

>We heard you loud and clear. You remembered Nationals as a multi-format celebration, and we're going to bring that back.

>The formats for 2017 Nationals will be a combination of Standard Constructed and Booster Draft

MODERN BABS BTFO ONCE AGAIN

I HEARD YOU LIKE STANDARD BOYS

WHAT?

YOU NEED TO BUY NEW CARDS INSTEAD OF USING YOUR OLD DECK FROM 1997?

WAHHHHHHHHHHH CRY ME A RIVER LOL

Atrocious

>bring enlightenment to the brown people

Actually after they BTFO of the evil they just leave the plane in ruins and chaos

Fuck actually helping people, it's about killing this episodes villian

So Modern is officially going the way of Extended, huh?

1997 would be Legacy/Vintage. Visions, Weatherlight, Tempest. Modern is 2003 and newer.

Baka.

>5 colour land base from a wotc edh product

Now that's mana fixing on a budget

I hope you're hype for Frontier!

My guesses are elves, merfolk, zombies, then either dragons or soldiers.

>modern
>1997

You could've been implying that it was atrocious that 5 ally color wasn't mentioned and you interpreted 'ally' as meaning '5 color ally' in the first place when it in fact just meant ally colors. I thought that was obvious but oh well, I'm the one that needs to learn to read.

The combos you could make from an ally color pair, an enemy color pair, a shard of three colors and a wedge of three colors, while only using each color twice, include:
>Mardu, Bant, Simic, Rakdos
>Sultai, Naya, Boros, Dimir
>Jeskai, Jund, Golgari, Azorius
>Abzan, Grixis, Izzet, Selesnya
>Temur, Esper, Orzhov, Gruul

Look over those combinations, I now doubt that they're going to do that because the shard covers the enemy colors and the wedge covers the ally colors.

It was a nice theory but it doesn't pan out.

No, snow flake I was merely reminded by your post that a 5 color ally deck would be an atrocious deck to think about Wotc rehashing a deck around so close after making that last mistake that was (General Tazri).
The world doesn't revolve around you and your ideas princess and maybe you should learn that before attacking innocent posts that where merely using your ideas as a spring board for there own.

Drop Humans, add Slivers.

It's confirmed as Icksuh-lahn by alison luhrs, which is technically incorrect but how most people will read it anyway so.

>Warriors, Knights, Merfolk, Goblins
>Snakes/Naga, Cats, Soldiers/Angels, Vampires/Spirits/Zombies
>Wizards/Monks, Dragons/Goblins, Zombies/Fungi/Spiders, Soldiers/Wizards
>Zombies/Warriors, Zombies/Demons, Artificers, Elves
>Shaman/Beasts, Artificers/Zombies, Spirits/Zombies, Warriors/Beasts/Goblins

Yeah, none of those sound like likely combinations of tribes.

Also, is it just me or are zombies being spread out way too much among the colors? Golgari was the guild of zombies with black and green, Grixis was the shard of zombies with blue, black and red, Sultai was the clan of zombies with blue, black and green, Innistrad's zombies were blue and black and now we've got white and black zombies in Amonkhet? Zombie doesn't seem like a tribe we should have spread over five colors.

Coincidentally, Jace does have an associated tribe, but it's Illusions and not Wizards

Dragons
Allies
Slivers
Elementals

Calling it

Nah, Allies and Slivers are too similar.
We'll get Spirits. Brand new commander just for the deck. Kamigawa based.
Everything is spirit/arcane except the blue/white stuff which is Innistrad ghosts giving generic ghost tribal bonuses.
They will then say 'well, this deck didn't sell as well as the others, yet more proof we should never touch Kamigawa ever again'. Which will be the same excuse for the Elemental deck, of course.
Not that the Sliver and Dragon decks are obviously going to be hugely more popular. It's that the others were obviously UNpopular and it's not Wizards' fault.

I'd love a Horde of Notions deck.

>That's right, Naga, everyone's favourite tribe!
>Also, Hound tribal

BEAR
TRIBAL.