Warhammer 40,000 general /40kg/

This Edition

>Actual Duncan
youtube.com/watch?v=Y0PK8NOlvPg

>Shadow War: Armageddon rules:
games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf
docs.google.com/document/d/1xvgryrNiMFoLYiaX8o6Y-Q0q1GLRvwWnvbrSL7omZXo/edit?usp=sharing

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android.
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!z4wmmJyR!jTfwLczhdFjV0q6nowtGag!qgZhmAhK

>40k rules reference in wiki format.
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs.
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>List organizer picture book
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>Offline list builder
battlescribe.net/

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>cutting your Citadel Miniatures with your Citadel Saw

2nd for dark angels

some of the citadel tools are actually OK

the new hobby knife is full steel construction and full tang, which none of my cheap aluminum hobby knives can say. But is it really worth the 20 dollar price tag? That I am unsure of. If it was 10-15 I'd go for it for sure, because I like having nice tools.

First for the Dark City! We sail for Commorragh!

>Tau

How do you deal with shockingly stupid people at you gaming venue?

The ones that seem to lack not only common sense but also basic knowledge required to function in society as well as being completely oblivious to their own hobby?

People that for all intent an purposes are three line NPC's

6th for the Omnissiah

I don't even think they're bad. Incredibly overcosted, sure, but not necessarily bad.
But just for comparison, you can get a miniature saw from Armypainter for half the price of the one the GW costs. Same for the plastic frame cutter. GWs costs 26€, compared to 10€ from Armypainter, or the knife, which is a difference of 17€ just between those two companies.
If you really want them, that's fine and all, but it's just a fucking knife and a plier. There's not a lot of a difference, aside from the price tag and the look of the tools.

Ignore their existence. If required, talk to them about it. You don't have to be hostile, just tell them what the issue is. If they don't understand how anything works, tell them they need to learn on their own so things aren't so hard for the people they're playing with. If it's social issues, just be straight forward but not in front of everyone, they just tend to lock up when put on the spot and rarely learn from it.

If it's not your problem then that's a good way to keep things, but if it becomes your problem then it's the same answer for like 90% of "how do you deal with" questions on Veeky Forums.

Communicate.

I only have one guy that bad, but unfortunately he's in our playgroup so he's hard to ignore. Best you can do is patiently remind him that yes, his marines are still BS 4 with Strength 4 bolters, same as the last 3 turns.

Outside of that though, he's fine.

Communication is really hard when more than one sentence at a time results in a blank stare and "wut?" And then a repeat of the question/statement.

But yeah Ignoring them would be ideal, I just hope I don't draw him in the tourney pool.

Then outright tell him if he can't understand communication then you're not interested in doing things. Alternatively it could be your communication and there could be easier ways to talk to him, but assuming he's actually that stupid then the answer is honesty about how frustrating it is to have to talk to someone like a child every few seconds. If he gets uppity then fuck it, let him know that he's different from everyone else, that no one else needs that treatment, and that it's his responsibility to deal with it. Otherwise you're just not interested in what he has to say.

Dark Angels or Thousand Sons?

It started off with just saying 4s across the board. Now it's just some gutteral noise that resembles it.

NEWS

I NEED NEWS

GIVE ME NEWS ABOUT 8th EDITION

It's going to be shit like every 40k edition. Fix something then proceed to fuck something else.

Angels of Absolution, Dark Angels, or Consecrators?

Valhalla.

>Wolfalla

>Valhwolf

>Valwolfa

>Wolfwolfa

Iron Wolf Angels

>being an uncultured dog fucker

>Maelstrom of Gore: +3 to charge and fleet
>Butcherhorde Detachment: free 2d6 move and reroll charges
>Violent Urgency: 3d6 pick 2 highest for charge
Fuck, are Berzerkers really that fast?

Which PC game is more similar to this tabletop?

All cracked out on chaos.

What should my tactics be with a LR full of assault centurions?

Deploy close to the enemy and try to charge first thing I see? Or try to hide the LR in some cover until a target presents itself?

Tabletop Simulator with mods, if you want the actual game experience. All other official games are far from how the tabletop plays, unfortunately.

Why do people like Chaos? Don't you realize the Gods will torture you forever if you die?

Independent game dev here, is there any interest in a single player "true to mechanics" 40k ripoff?

Obviously the setting/story would have to be legally distinct from, yet similar to 40k

When will FW stop making 30k shit and bigger knights and go back to giving Xenos and other 40k stuff some love?!

Well one of the reason I enjoy Hearthstone is that I don't need to travel to place in order to play. One of the reason I hate HS is because the meta turns to shit fast.

So maybe? But at the same time no.

>if
There's your reason. Most think that if they can serve their chosen god well enough that they won't die, but will ascend to daemonhood. The reward outweighs the risk in their mind.

I would buy it on Steam.

Never, they have another 12ish books planned out for 30k. It sells.

Warhammer 40.000 the number is not the year but the number of marines flavours you can play.

What I envision is Xcom style commands, but applying to units (squads) instead of individual models.

My partner and I have been tinkering around with it in UE4, but it's far from a prototype.

I am a big fan of single player, so being able to actually use it for multiplayer is something far, far, far in the future.

>not taking a Talisman of Burning Blood for three more inches of fast for charges AND MOVES

you have not even reached full fast.

Except the torture thing is Imperial propaganda. Khorne and Nurgle fluff both state their Daemons are made from human souls.

Has anyone uploaded the new audio-drama that's set after GS books?

I feel like the construction on some of them are pretty good. From what I've seen of the tweezers for example, they are way nicer than the 4 dollar aluminum tweezers you might get at your local drug store.

Are they nice enough to justify paying three times as much?

I do want some nice solid steel tools though, so I'll have to find another manufacturer that makes them.

My greatest weakness is the mold line remover. People give me shit for even owning it but it is so useful and way faster than using the back of a knife. That tool is worth the price if you ask me.

One positive thing about formations is that they do buff crappy units. They also, more often than not, buff great units too

I would check it out. If you make a blog or tumblr do share.

Also I would check /agdv/. They seem helpful.

Between traitors and loyalists, I'll take the Loyalists. They've got cooler Terminators anyway. Plus I like painting blue

B-But I want to give the Axe of Blind Fury to my Juggerlord...

Well make a Necromunda game or Delicius Heresy game.

You already have Mordheim city of the damn thingy. It is turn base but in this third top view person view thingy.

I'll keep that in mind, I am more of the game design/coder. I am not good at selling or promoting the game.

Is /agdv/ a thread on Veeky Forums or is it a different board? I don't see it on the bottom.

>Delicius Heresy
If I had my way I would make it a single player campaign where you take on the role of a captain of one of the legion companies. It'd probably start off with one or two playable companies, but eventually one for each of the 18.

The mold line remover is a decent tool, i just wish the tip tapered more so it fits into tight areas like a hobby knife can

New to Warhammer. I see a lot of batreps where there are literally no blockages of any sight lines. Most have some very sparce terrain and armies can just stand back and fire away. Is this how the game is? I'd like to play if it were more mobile and tactics meant something other than making a strong gunline.

They're playing the game wrong.
The board should have 3-4 large pieces of terrain that block Line of Sight in the centre.

No, lots of cover is very much preferred!

Its a boardgame bro. You can play with as much or as little terrain as you want.

wait for the 8th edition they will probably (and hopefully ) change the rules

It's a general on Veeky Forums for indies developers. People seem to talk about interesting coding things, engines, show progress and ask for rates, etc.

Zerkers are about as bad as the vast majority of melee units in the current ranged meta. I suposse the formations are a band-aid until the assault phase gets buffed next edition.

>Plus I like painting blue

Me too. It's why I chose Chaos

Sadly you must travel to either /v/ or Veeky Forums for that. Their advice is okay, but since it's all anonymous be careful about how much you share in case some one steals your ideas.

I'm honestly not sure what the actual rules for terrain are, but in my games we each take turns placing one piece of terrain. That way there is some gamesmanship to how the board is set up.

So I've looked around as best I could but I've yet to find an answer. When do you need to declare your units are going to be in reserve. For example, if I wanted to DS some terminators would I need to say that when we go over our lists or could I wait until my deployment in case after seeing their army I wanted to just put them on the board instead?

For my group, we usually just settle on a theme for the board and then fill up as much space as is reasonable. Lots of walls/rocks to block line of sight, lots of area terrain to get cover saves from.

Getting a really nice terrain setup isn't that hard

when is 8th? Are there any rumors for new terrain rules?

I would like to see some really dense cityscape, like the way Cadia is described, with loads of corners, corridors leading into traps, maybe some minefields and all that. But it would probably be a bitch to play.

1) Not yet known
2) No

rumor last night was that cover would modify ballistic skill rather than give another save.

so it looks like shooting rules from SWA

Alright so, I'd like to ask for some input on this for a store tournament coming.

DA CAD of:
Belial
A 5-man scout squad with a shotgun
A 10-man tactical squad with a heavy bolter and dedicated Rhino
An 8-man Deathwing knight unit
A Deathwing terminator unit with a cyclone missile launcher

Oathsworn detachment of:
Stock knight errant

And then a Dominus maniple consisting of:
A dominus with an eradication array and macrostubber
A 10-man unit of skit. Vanguards with three plasma calivers
An Onager dunecrawler with the Icarus array

My thoughts were for belial to either start with the knights in reserves or to start on the field with the terminators, for scatterless deepstrike in either case even if one's more limiting than the other. The troops and DW terminators would be used to attempt to control points.

Then the knight and maniple would hopefully handle vehicles, flyers, although the maniple is more there to guard the knight.

I need some holes shot in my thoughts, there's a lot of space marine/CSM, tau, with a few dedicated necron and imperial guard players.
May of forgotten how to format.

Should I just dig out my 2E rulebook?

Necromunda version of Xcom sounds fun.

>500 to 1k point battles
>armies with diverse units from a single codex
>no real batshit OP units

Doesn't exist

Hey Veeky Forums I have a problem and you will help me solve it.

We played 40k today and we realized something, we weren't having fun anymore because anytime we play more than 15-1800pts one of the players gets almost tabled turn 1.
It would be easy to go "hey no more big guns/alpha strike scout bullshit" but most players in our gaming group love it shooty and we don't wanna take the big gun fun away from them.
Tell me, how do you deal with this problem ? It makes 40k annoying but I can't really see a way around this other than "roll invisibility and pray for going first" or removing certain weapons, as both are funkillers.

Then bring another. There is no such thing as "too much chaos lords". Bonus: give him a jump pack to reroll failed charges

stop playing this shit game.

More seriously, people are tired of almost getting tabled by OP weapons, but no one is willing to give up OP weapons.

We don't have a blog yet, probably will start one by summer.

Consider playing some Zone Mortalis

Line of Sight Terrain.
Make sure a single unit cannot see the entire board

How difficult is it to remove the corpse worshiping symbols from a loyalist Land Raider? They're surprisingly cheaper on ebay.

Okay how about this?

Yeah, that's the feeling we got. And also why I don't bring big guns
Well, I played a lot of inquisimunda, and I didn't like how you had to go too far into personalization, is it the same kind of game ?
Yeah, we already do that, but the problem is that the moment you get into LoS (e.g. you wanna play a choppy army) you're basically dead. Except if you have either a MSU like construction (which is not something very likable in dedicated choppy armies) or a very high threat saturation (which is only possible at higher point levels, and will have you face even more big guns)

I'd really love tougher units or nerfed guns for 8E, make it as unlethal as melee, so that we all get to actually play 4 phases instead of "put prescience on big gun, shoot big gun"

I think the Aquillas and things are a separate bit, if you're talking about ones in the box. They're probably cheaper for not having the extra chaos sprue.

If they're already assembled, it should be easy to clip off and file down

They Need to reboot 40K and forget a lot of their units in 8e or this game will be much of the same. The game can't survive at its current state. It's too bloated.

usually people do it when they deploy, you leave the units you want reserved off the table

they didn't sell well is my guess or the 30k marines are such a huge profit they can avoid doing anything else for the next 50 years. shame they can't funnel that back into other projects

more objective games, bigger that blocks line of sight, don't deploy badly, don't put your expensive easy to kill units out of cover, force night fighting more often

Lol yeah but not in a good way
The daemon is part of the god so it's like the mortal soul is trapped inside unless it's a daemon prince

>is it the same kind of game ?

Zone Mortalis is a more standard large-scale game, though it's designed to represent fights that take place inside of space hulks, tunnel systems, hive warrens, things like that.

You pretty much set up the board to represent a network of thin, narrow hallways, with the occasional larger room representing a hangar or storage area with some crates interspersed.

There are some restrictions on units due to the size constraints, though it is also possible to have boards with a mix of Zone Mortalis area and normal map.

Depending on how many vehicles your group uses, you could simply have a full ZM board with infantry going out to grab objectives while everyone has one or two tanks defending their deployment hangar and larger hallways, or if there's a lot you can have a big central maze where most of the objectives are, and have a few fire lanes through it where the tanks can duel eachother or watch for units trying to cross.

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with these people on Veeky Forums.

Excellent, my thanks.

Already one in the pipeline form the mordheim guys

>jump pack
He already gets rerolls from the Butcherhorde detachment (or fleet if I include him on the MoG).

I was thinking about 4 squads of Berzerkers and a Juggerlord with AoBF for the Maelstrom, a Hellforged Warpack of 3 Maulerfiends and a winged Daemon Prince with the Berserker Glaive. All sanic fast, fluffy and killy.

Objectives is the best we have come to so far, bigger guns often are on non-troop stuff, so it limits the shitstorm. The problem with this solution is that even though you usually end up winning or losing by 1 or 2 VPs you still don't get to have much fun, basically it becomes a "I'm in cover and I'll sit there forever" style of game, which gets boring fast.
Hey tha sounds fucking cool, where can I learn more about this ? Isnt it a purely sm/admech game tho ?

Oh, yes ofc.
I like the idea of this list, even though I'm still salty that technochaotictechmarinestuff can't take bikes or mechanical juggernauts to follow their maulerfiends

Actually the soul is completely erased and becomes the Daemon. You cease to be everything you were before, including your memories, and now are part of the host.

This is why Khorne inherited a martial honor from all the souls of warriors that form part of him. Daemons are just a bunch of emotionally charged souls slapped together and given a consciousness which is why they have different 'personalities'.

>Hey tha sounds fucking cool, where can I learn more about this ? Isnt it a purely sm/admech game tho ?

Forgeworld has the rules for free, and it isn't tied to their Horus Heresy stuff. It works perfectly well with the 40k rules, and should solve the problem of long-range alpha strikes wrecking everything. It'll put more emphasis on watching angles and corridors and advancing for a good position, rather than just blasting everything to hell and then moving up.

sadly this is true, even if you used tactical objective cards. maybe try swapping armies with people? tau play differently from admech or eldar, gives you a differet perspective

My friends and I started messing with the turn structure.

We used an alternating activation system and it was actually really fun. Nerfs alpha strike and deep strike in one go, as well as jsj bullshit.

The game is slightly more cumbersome, but it feels well worth it.

I know, right? I still wait for the day we get Codex: Dark Mechanicus. Maybe then we'll get more options.

The big rule book states there is supposed to be a certain amount, but for logistical reasons this is rarely followed.

Bat-reps that use the correct amount of terrain end up looking weird because there are so few sweeping lines of sight.

Age of Sigmar has simple and structured rules for placing terrain because GW realized that otherwise Waac players will try for whatever amount and placement works best for them. You could adapt these rules for 40k easily enough

Maybe if you, I don't know, read the rule book, you'd find the answer.